• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's a black widow in my wife's car

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the little dip-shit is chilling in the leg space of the backseat behind the driver. She's usually in odd angles so it seems trying to swat her down is going to be a pain in the ass.

I am debating blasting it with RAID to confirm the kill. Problem is the thing is more receptive than hell and the minute I even start to get close, it flees under the seat and I can't see it anymore. I COULD vacuum the area, but no way I can be sure I get the bastard. First time I turned the handheld vacuum on it scurried away in a millisecond.

Any tips on luring a black widow out? I've left the door open for now and I plan to go check back in a bit because they're nocturnal and tend to chill in the web at night.

nib95

Banned
Can't you just use your home hoover to suck it out instead of the handheld? Even use one of the thinner attachments if need be.

Apt101

Capture it and sell it to the local poison control facility. They're valuable, because the ones in captivity can save lives.

Edit: I knew a guy who was bit by one in some dry state, Arizona or somesuch, and he was tortured by pain for a year. Take as many females as you can out of population and get them working on creating antivenoms.

Can't you just hoover it out? Even use one of the thinner attachments if need be.

Problem is I can't be sure I can get to it before it runs off into another portion of the car. When it gets under the seat, it's way up under the seat. I'm sure i'd be behind it before I could even suck it out.

nib95

Banned
Problem is I can't be sure I can get to it before it runs off into another portion of the car. When it gets under the seat, it's way up under the seat. I'm sure i'd be behind it before I could even suck it out.

I can't imagine it escaping if your hoover has any decent suction. By the way I mean the house hoover, not the handheld as you mentioned you used. Just stick an extension cable on it.

Bob White

Best act quick. She probably is super alert because she's protecting her babies.

BSigMbHCEAA4e3N.jpg

Couldn't you like, set some kind of trap with a fly or something? Like a...spider...trap?

Not sure I am skilled enough to capture a fly or cricket of some sort. I've read you can use a blade of grass to imitate the movement of a caught bug to lure it out; fuck that.

People, we need to set aside our differences with the spiders of the world.

In time, we may come to love them, even breed with them.

And eventually we'll have spider people.

Think how sick awesome that'll be.

3N16MA

Banned
Place a stick near the web. Wait until it crawls onto the stick (it will investigate) and then remove the stick from the car.

Remember to set it free as it means no harm.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Place a stick near the web. Wait until it crawls onto the stick (it will investigate) and then remove the stick from the car.

Remember to set it free as it means no harm.

I am of the opinion that the thing is going to bolt at me the second I start moving a stick. Black Widows are known to be aggressive when they feel threatened.

Fox Mulder

I am of the opinion that the thing is going to bolt at me the second I start moving a stick. Black Widows are known to be aggressive when they feel threatened.

But you're a human being with a stick, you can probably figure out some resolution to that possibility.

3N16MA

Banned

Many spiders can be aggressive when threatened. However moving a stick and not actually touching the spider itself would not fall into that category. You're not causing it any harm.

Wear gloves and get a long stick if you want to be more safe.

Yeah I would go with a fumigation route, she could possible have an egg sack in there which will make the problem 1000% times worse.

Fumigate the car, and then vacuum everything out from under the seat as thoroughly as humanly possible. Don't leave the windows cracked anymore :p

way more

Capture it and sell it to the local poison control facility. They're valuable, because the ones in captivity can save lives.

Edit: I knew a guy who was bit by one in some dry state, Arizona or somesuch, and he was tortured by pain for a year. Take as many females as you can out of population and get them working on creating antivenoms.

They are valuable? Need to see the receipts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom