• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor 31: Cambodia - Second Chance |OT| Starring Phoebe. And also a fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grexeno

777Lq1x.png

CN1DnfDUcAArYuo.jpg

Survivor: Cambodia - Second Chance is the 31st season of the reality television series Survivor, and will be the third all-star (the season consists of entirely returning players) season in the show's history. 20 one-time players who did not win their season were selected by public vote, with the cast announced at the finale of Survivor: Worlds Apart in May.

WyhEIUl.png

hsvmhEo.jpg

(Look at how excited the players are for the season! Except Kelly.)

f6b2ALj.png

• 20 former contestants, all of whom have played only once and did not win the game, and whom were determined by public vote, returned for a second chance.
  • he Hidden Immunity Idols for this season will look different from each other, making it more difficult for the players to know if the idols are real or fake. Also, for the first time, the idols will be hidden in challenges, while the clues will be hidden at camp. This is an idea originally proposed by Entertainment Weekly columnist Dalton Ross.
  • For the first time since Survivor: Pearl Islands, a third tribe will be introduced later in the game before the merge.
  • The challenges for this season will also feature the Second Chance theme, as production will incorporate past challenges in which the cast has previously participated in their corresponding seasons. The list of challenges includes some that they have lost before, but not exclusively.
  • The tribe that loses the first Immunity Challenge will be immediately sent to Tribal Council after the challenge.

q0iHSLx.png

jkSfrAe.png

M9GxUVz.jpg

c7PcM3K.png

CNeHkkr.jpg

wXvP12s.png

KkcspjC.jpg

SUwOTvr.png

qJiBDnp.png

KpCPnfS.jpg

PPATie5.png

IE928B5.jpg

hqDnoS1.png

0wcH4PZ.jpg

kpYxVjs.png

IpOhjJk.png

Click on the pictures!

Read Josh Wigler's epic essay interviews with the cast here!

Thanks to Macka for the thread graphics help!

Grexeno

If anyone has a link to a Youtube playlist of cast bio videos that isn't region locked, please shoot it to me.

UberTag

(Look at how excited the players are for the season! Except Kelly.)
Kelly needs to run with a disinterested "Bored Bret Hart" gimmick for me to be able to get behind her. Especially if it's an intentional smoke screen prior to an intentional late game comp run ala Borneo.

One of their gimmicks one year should be that all the survivors are people who were voted out first in their season.
I like this idea so long as Francesca gets auto-immunity for the first tribal council.
(However, in a twist, the first episode has two tribal councils and Fran still winds up getting evicted in Episode 1.)

Bonus points for this gimmick if Debb Eaton wins the whole thing.

Awesome. I hope this is a good season. Can't wait to watch and see the few people I know or like get voted out almost immediately! :)

TVexperto

Didnt watch the last two seasons so I am excited to see this one, can somebody explain me the fish joke though?

Edit: Great to see Spencer is back! Wohooo!

UberTag

Didnt watch the last two seasons so I am excited to see this one, can somebody explain me the fish joke though?
Popular reality TV personality and Survivor Tocantins finalist Stephen Fishbach is returning to play Survivor a 2nd time.
Hence why there is a "fish" in the "back" of the season cast photo.

Hopefully this season is edited better than the past FvF's. If they start forgetting people on the island, giving heavy edits to a few it's going to really dampen my excitement this season. And if Terry goes home first. Those things will hurt my soul.

UberTag

Hopefully this season is edited better than the past FvF's. If they start forgetting people on the island, giving heavy edits to a few it's going to really dampen my excitement this season. And if Terry goes home first. Those things will hurt my soul.
Recent Survivor seasons have been severely hampered by obvious edits favoring only one possible outcome or favored individual.
Hate it when they do shit like this as it kills absolutely all suspense from the finale.
I know not every finish can be a Yul vs. Ozzy nailbiter but at least don't make it obvious to us at home long before the finale.

Macka

So excited for this. Come on Fish! I'm pretty worried for him tbh, but hopefully he can scrape through.

I (might be one of the few who still) like Shirin but I don't think she's anywhere near the others on your list in terms of win threat status. I think she would need to essentially change her entire being to be acceptable enough for 4+ jury members to write her name down.
Maybe I didn't word it right, but that's what I meant. I want the non-threats to go early for two main reasons:

1. They often end up winning despite their non-threat status, because the players with stronger legacies all target each other early.
or
2. They are non-threats because they can't win, and so if they make the merge it becomes clearer who the potential winners can actually be.

Pedrito

Wow. Some blasts from the past!
Kelly W! Andrew! Peih-Gee! Stephen! I might tune in.

And is that Aras' brother?

Recent Survivor seasons have been severely hampered by obvious edits favoring only one possible outcome or favored individual.
Hate it when they do shit like this as it kills absolutely all suspense from the finale.
I know not every finish can be a Yul vs. Ozzy nailbiter but at least don't make it obvious to us at home long before the finale.

Yul winning was super obvious, though. He had one of the most obvious "winner's edits" ever, maybe behind only Earl, Mike and Kim.

Of the last couple of years, Mike and Tyson were very obvious from a mile away (and that definitely hurt both seasons), but Natalie and Tony didn't really get obvious winner's edits. Going a little further back, you get Cochran and Kim for obvious winners, but you also get Denise (good edit, but not an obvious frontrunner the whole game) and Sophie who didn't really have a typical winner's edit at all.

Grexeno

Edit: Great to see Spencer is back! Wohooo!
When contestant Keith Nale was asked which people he wanted to target early, he responded with Phoebe (Peih-Gee) and Fish (Stephen)

Day Zero! I'm way too excited.

Something worth looking out for is Max Dawson's (Season 30) upcoming podcast.

Also, the OP should have the Survivor: Cambodia Friends Intro in the other links!

I couldn't resist, and watched the first nine minutes. Really really pumped.

Previous seasons, I've stayed off NeoGAF and Reddit for the most part in fear of spoilers, so this will be my first season active on here.

I'm personally rooting for Savage, and other alpha males tend to follow for me. Throw me in a volcano if you have a problem with that. :)

tumblr_liybx12Z651qc8se0.gif

1. They often end up winning despite their non-threat status, because the players with stronger legacies all target each other early.
or
2. They are non-threats because they can't win, and so if they make the merge it becomes clearer who the potential winners can actually be.

yeah, I agree.

I'm personally rooting for Savage, and other alpha males tend to follow for me. Throw me in a volcano if you have a problem with that. :)

sigh

welcome

I don't know who I'm rooting for per se (I have quite a few favorites in this cast), but I hope that Kass, Abi-Maria and Keith stick around for a long time. I want an entertaining season.

UberTag

Of the last couple of years, Mike and Tyson were very obvious from a mile away (and that definitely hurt both seasons), but Natalie and Tony didn't really get obvious winner's edits. Going a little further back, you get Cochran and Kim for obvious winners, but you also get Denise (good edit, but not an obvious frontrunner the whole game) and Sophie who didn't really have a typical winner's edit at all.
The only thing disappointing about Denise Stapley's win is that, by virtue of winning, she wasn't eligible to come back for this season so she could school the rest of these guys once again.

In reply to the spoilered twist in the OP, do we know if
that third tribe is an outcast tribe? Considering that challenges are returning, this old twist returning seems appropriate with the season's theme. These second chancers would get a second second chance mid season. Plus, obvious threats and annoyances could move further in a game they normally couldn't compete in a second time.

kirblar

In reply to the spoilered twist in the OP, do we know if
that third tribe is an outcast tribe? Considering that challenges are returning, this old twist returning seems appropriate with the season's theme. These second chancers would get a second second chance mid season. Plus, obvious threats and annoyances could move further in a game they normally couldn't compete in a second time.
It is not. Thought I'm curious if it would have triggered a PTSD reaction in Savage if it were and he was still in the game to see it happen.

It is not. Thought I'm curious if it would have triggered a PTSD reaction in Savage if it were and he was still in the game to see it happen.

Are we sure Redmond isn't holding back from us to keep the real spoiler unspoiled?
lol I just want the outcast twist to return so bad for my spoiled section reasoning above. :)

Grexeno

Are we sure Redmond isn't holding back from us to keep the real spoiler unspoiled?
lol I just want the outcast twist to return so bad for my spoiled section reasoning above. :)
We already know what it is based on the buffs released through official channels. Along with the Bayon and Ta Keo buffs, a yellow buff bearing the name Angkor was also for sale. It's highly likely that the tribes will split into 3 tribes in episode 3.

Fair enough. Still sounds great.

Just to keep the conversation moving along, the fan voted Second Chance Most Likely Awards were put up over at Inside Survivor. Some other good stuff there as well for Survivor fans, and maybe belongs in the OP?

I'd love to see some of the people in that list prove us wrong, but it seems people really expect the worst from Keith.

Grexeno

Just to keep the conversation moving along, the fan voted Second Chance Most Likely Awards were put up over at Inside Survivor. Some other good stuff there as well for Survivor fans, and maybe belongs in the OP?

I'd love to see some of the people in that list prove us wrong, but it seems people really expect the worst from Keith.
We didn't vote Keith in for good gameplay, I'll tell you that much.

UberTag

It would have been hilarious just to see Savage's reaction.
Especially if they brought Lil back as a special guest to reveal the twist.

Velcro Fly

Here's hoping in a few months time we can all gather together and crown Keith "stick to the plan" Nale as a winner of Survivor.

Bread

Banned
woo first season i'll watch live since 2, i rediscovered my love for it this summer on hulu. too bad i don't recognize anyone.

Nice OT! Save 3 post game photos I've actually managed to stay spoiler free for once, so I'm excited going in.

Here's hoping Kimmi, Abi, PG and Kass go far! edit; actually, I like a lot of this cast, so as long as the few stinkers (like Spencer) don't go far, I'll be pretty happy.

woo first season i'll watch live since 2, i rediscovered my love for it this summer on hulu. too bad i don't recognize anyone.

Let us know if you'd like recommendations on agreed upon best seasons to watch. Even then, the Survivor fan community is very polarizing. Enjoy the new season live, and consider watching in order through CBS All Access to watch the show grow and avid past season winner spoilers.

Bread

Banned
Let us know if you'd like recommendations on agreed upon best seasons to watch. Even then, the Survivor fan community is very polarizing. Enjoy the new season live, and consider watching in order through CBS All Access to watch the show grow and avid past season winner spoilers.
Hulu doesn't have a ton of seasons available, so I watched the one's with Russell (loved him, don't care if he was awful at the social game) and the seasons with Malcolm. I'd love some recommendations!

Hulu doesn't have a ton of seasons available, so I watched the one's with Russell (loved him, don't care if he was awful at the social game) and the seasons with Malcolm. I'd love some recommendations!

Some seasons that I personally loved are: 6, 7, 9, 12, 15, 16, 17, and 28. 20 & 25 are also great, but you've already watched those.

Maybe try 15 and 28 first, because those are two commonly loved seasons, and they both have people who will appear on this season.

Jigorath

Banned

A lot of the hardcore fans can't stand him but Keith is great TV. I'm happy he's there.

belushy

Banned
So fucking ready for this season.

Pulling for a lot of different players, but mainly for my man Fishbach... but I wouldn't mind these players winning:

Everyone but Woo

Between the Canadian election and the Blue Jays still being competitive this late in the baseball season, this season of Survivor has totally snuck up on me and I've barely had a chance to pay any attention to pre-season stuff. Still excited for it, though!

UberTag

I know people accuse Probst of being misogynistic a lot, but I found it pretty gross in this article,written on day one of filming.
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/08/survivor-cambodia-second-chance-jeff-probst-will-not-win
When he's asked who has no chance of winning, he says Kass (duh), then mentions 4 more women who might have a hard time. Half the female cast and none of the males, eh Probst? Not even Keith and Woo????
Don't expect a leopard like Probst to change his spots.
Frankly, I'll take him and his faults over most other reality TV producers who are content to put out a shit product season after season.
Probst is a perfectionist... and is obsessed with keeping Survivor fresh and engaging... so I'll gladly turn a blind eye to his negative tendencies.

Don't expect a leopard like Probst to change his spots.
Frankly, I'll take him and his faults over most other reality TV producers who are content to put out a shit product season after season.
Probst is a perfectionist... and is obsessed with keeping Survivor fresh and engaging... so I'll gladly turn a blind eye to his negative tendencies.

Oh, I like Probst as an involved entity in Survivor overall, he just makes me roll my eyes whenever he is slobbering over his latest alpha male mancrush. I did very much enjoy when he devoted an entire segment to decimate Dan for his deceptive editing bullshit claim. Probst clearly cares a lot about the show.

belushy

Banned
I am excite

Okay before the show begins, time to pick who you think will win. You will be made fun of once they are voted out eventually.

My pick is: FISHBACH

I haven't been this excited for the start of a new season in a while (and I'm always excited for the start of a new season).

Less than 90 minutes until Abi-Maria returns to network television.

I'd love for Stephen to win, but he has his work cut out for him. I'll go a little out there and pick Peih-Gee as the winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom