• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero Slated for "Holiday 2015" Release

mankoto

WayForward is working overtime on Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, the Kickstarter-funded Shantae game heading to Wii U. The company has revealed that the planned release date is Holiday 2015, but they do mention that the date could slip into 2016. Let's hope that's not the case and we get to close out 2015 with more Shantae action!

Source is GoNintendo

Put me in a lamp if old

Shredderi

Hopefully it makes this year

url

BiggNife

I've been eager to try this series. How is it?

The latest one, Pirate's Curse, is really good and criminally underrated. It's on PC, 3DS and Wii U and I highly suggest checking it out.

I know the GBC one has a cult following, and the consensus on Risky's Revenge is that it's just okay.

DrArchon

Great to hear it! I won't be too sad if it misses the mark and lands in 2016, but it'd be nice to have it hit this year, especially after the whole MN9 debacle.

Either way I will probably hold out for a sale. Shantae is a series I want to love on principle, but the last two have felt kinda half baked (love the art and writing, but the gameplay and level design feel a bit hollow imo). Seems like Yacht Club Games have assumed the mantle with Shovel Knight, which is much more thoughtfully designed and gratifying to play.

Still somewhat interested, but I'm not too concerned about the release date. Give that puppy more time if it's needed.

NotLiquid

The original has really not aged that well in spite of it's cult appeal.

Risky's Revenge is serviceable but it feels relatively uninspired as far as Metroidvanias go. It's pretty damn short, relies a lot on fetch quests to get around the small (yet incomprehensible) map and the dual-plane gimmick doesn't add much.

Pirate's Curse is legit great and is much better design-wise (plus it has the best writing), but the game play advancements has me kind of worried that Half-Genie Hero is going to be a step down since we're going back to the genie powers.

Interesting. I was absolutely sure this game wouldn't see release until 2016. If it makes it to 2015, hopefully its been given enough polish by that point.

The latest one, Pirate's Curse, is really good and criminally underrated. It's on PC, 3DS and Wii U and I highly suggest checking it out.

I know the GBC one has a cult following, and the consensus on Risky's Revenge is that it's just okay.

Weird, I remember a fair amount of critical praise for Risky's Revenge when that was released. IGN in particular proclaimed it as a crowning example of what DSiWare games should be like in terms of quality and later awarded it the best DS game of 2010.

Though as of late, I only had and have played the first game. I'm arguably out of the loop when it comes to consumer / fan consensus.

I'll be pretty surprised if it launches this year. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse released close to a year after its initial targeted launch window. As long as they take their time and release a great game, I don't mind waiting.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Sooner than expected if they can pull it off. I'm hoping Pirate's Curse still gets a PS4 port at some point.

Insolitus

Banned
Either way I will probably hold out for a sale. Shantae is a series I want to love on principle, but the last two have felt kinda half baked (love the art and writing, but the gameplay and level design feel a bit hollow imo). Seems like Yacht Club Games have assumed the mantle with Shovel Knight, which is much more thoughtfully designed and gratifying to play.

Still somewhat interested, but I'm not too concerned about the release date. Give that puppy more time if it's needed.

This is kind of how I feel about series, I really want to like the games because they remind a lot of Wario Land. But the gameplay just feels lacking, it's mostly the sprite work and character design holding them up.

Zubz

Banned
I bought Pirate's Curse Day 1, but I never got around to it. I really have to fix that soon if the 4th game's coming out this year! I loved the first 2 games, and happily backed 1/2 Genie Hero. I trust WayForward to deliver the goods a 4th (Well, 3rd and 4th) time.

Plus, I was expecting the game to take longer, so I'm glad to see it's coming out in a couple of months!

Mivey

I really hope the game is at least as meaty as Riskys Revenge, really. There were so many stretch goals they didn't meet. :( Just wanting a true sequel to Pirate's Curse.

I don't believe the 2015 release.
2016 is the new 2015.
But, wait. What if even the calender at your wall was delayed, and instead of 2015 it is really depicting 2016?! IT'S ALL BEEN A LIE.

ArjanN

I don't really agree with this, especially about Pirate's Curse, going for the achievements like the speedrun and no-damage bosses etc, made me realize the game is actually really well designed.

I don't really agree with this, especially about Pirate's Curse, going for the achievements like the speedrun and no-damage bosses etc, made me realize the game is actually really well designed.
Shovel Knight does literally all those things better, and I don't personally think achievements are the best way to gauge a game's overall value, They're more a +1 to the main quest. They can draw your attention to what a game does well by imposing a different set of rules, but they don't alter the main thrust of the adventure. If we're talking WayForward proper, Contra 4 is an example of much more robust moment to moment level design, even though it's tough as balls.

By comparison Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse are a bit on the shallow side. I'd consider them more akin to something like Monster Tale. Adequate, but lacking depth and nuance. Unless you're a hardcore completionist they're pretty one and done types of games, and even if you are a hardcore completionist there are games that offer the same extra challenges on top of a much stronger core structure. Not that they're bad games, they just feel kinda cursory, and never really bridge the gap to genre greats. They're like tasty but ultimately fulfilling snacks.

Bladenic

I backed this and Cosmic Star Heroine. Both were meant to release in 2014. Yeah. But I'll play them both on my Vita when they finally release.

mreddie

Backed this and MN9, I will be happy if I get either one by the the beginning of next year and hearing about Shantae, I think this will turn out better.

I haven't played Pirate's Curse, currently at the 2nd Dungeon in GBC and beat RR at launch, but both of the first Shantae games really don't have very good gameplay. And I know its Metroidvania but I always get lost at every little part and it gets annoying. Which is a surprise since I've loved all the Mighty games.

With all the praise, I hope PC lives up to the hype but I'll go into it with low hype. Tho I do find the notion that the game where you don't play with Shantae's main moves is the best one funny for some reason. But hopefully I can get more into PC and HGH.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse was one of the best 2D actioners I've ever played, so it's safe to say I'm excited about this one.

bon

It would be cool if they could finish it this year but I'm not getting my hopes up. Pirate's Curse was delayed quite a bit iirc.

Syril

I really hope the game is at least as meaty as Riskys Revenge, really. There were so many stretch goals they didn't meet. :( Just wanting a true sequel to Pirate's Curse.
The only substantial ones they didn't meet that I can think of are two of the Extra Chapter ones, and they had met a couple of those already. They also met Sky/Bolo/Rottytops Modes from paypal donations after the fact, and 5 playable characters is pretty meaty.

The only substantial ones they didn't meet that I can think of are two of the Extra Chapter ones, and they had met a couple of those already. They also met Sky/Bolo/Rottytops Modes from paypal donations after the fact, and 5 playable characters is pretty meaty.

Besides, those unfunded stretch goal levels could always surface as DLC, a smaller side adventure, or fodder for a future Shantae game. I'd be happy with any of those.

Sevyne

I want this, but its sad that its a reboot and all the previous games dont matter : (

I think you misunderstood. It's more of a soft reboot. The previous games still happened, and this one takes place after them, but everything in the previous games is all wrapped up.

Feltrol

Banned

The original has really not aged that well in spite of it's cult appeal.

Risky's Revenge is serviceable but it feels relatively uninspired as far as Metroidvanias go. It's pretty damn short, relies a lot on fetch quests to get around the small (yet incomprehensible) map and the dual-plane gimmick doesn't add much.

Pirate's Curse is legit great and is much better design-wise (plus it has the best writing), but the game play advancements has me kind of worried that Half-Genie Hero is going to be a step down since we're going back to the genie powers.

Going to check out Pirate's Curse, then. Thank you!

Backed this game on Kickstarter way back when and am excited to try my first Shantae game. Although I picked the Vita version as my reward and they mentioned that might not be in the initial release so I might have to wait a bit longer.

They're good games. The quirky humor and detailed spritework is the main appeal. I think the third game, Pirate's Curse, is a lot better than the first two, so it's slightly worrying that Half Genie Hero is going to be in the style of the original, but it shouldn't have too many technical limitations holding it back this time around.
I think you misunderstood. It's more of a soft reboot. The previous games still happened, and this one takes place after them, but everything in the previous games is all wrapped up.
That's what I thought. The story seems independent but takes place in the same world, as far as I'm aware.

Gameboy415

Cannot wait!

I pledged for the Platinum Edition on Kickstarter ($200) and am really psyched to play the full game (the demo stages were fantastic!) and check out the hardcover art book. :D

Zalman

I'm eagerly waiting for the day they release a collection of all the Shantae games on a single cart/disc. I would be all over that.

Ogodei

I backed this and Cosmic Star Heroine. Both were meant to release in 2014. Yeah. But I'll play them both on my Vita when they finally release.

Yeah, i remember backing this way back in mid-late 2013 or so, and at the "free game" level, so i've been waiting for this for a good while.

Stupidly, it'll probably land after Xenoblade X, and not during the long drought between now and XCX.

Top Bottom