• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Files season 10 promo; the show will air on January 24th 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovid

I can't believe this is actually happening.

I stumbled upon the pilot when I was a kid and I was hooked ever since.

Ophelion

Ugh, so perfect!

Before they even announced the return, I was talking with my friends about how and why the show should come back. The thrust of my argument was essentially what Mulder is saying in that preview.

One of my friends was also like, "How could they still keep the truth hidden when everyone has smartphones?"

I looked at him like he was stupid and was like, "Where do you think those photos are going exactly? Who do you think owns the cellphone companies that are supposedly letting you tweet out your evidence? The Syndicate runs that shit, bro. You'd be more likely to get the truth out there with a cardboard camera you bought at the drug store."

Fuck I wanna watch this where is a good Season to start from as I don't want to go full 9 seasons?

As in where is their a good season what doesn't rely too much off the events of the previous Season?

If that makes sense

Ugh, so perfect!

Before they even announced the return, I was talking with my friends about how and why the show should come back. The thrust of my argument was essentially what Mulder is saying in that preview.

One of my friends was also like, "How could they still keep the truth hidden when everyone has smartphones?"

I looked at him like he was stupid and was like, "Where do you think those photos are going exactly? Who do you think owns the cellphone companies that are supposedly letting you tweet out your evidence? The Syndicate runs that shit, bro. You'd be more likely to get the truth out there with a cardboard camera you bought at the drug store."

Yeah, I really like how the show is being modern by dealing with government surveillance and monitoring of telecommunications and use of drones. It's a perfect subject matter for X-Files.

Cheebo

Banned
The lack of episodes isn't do worries over ratings. Duchovny said he wouldn't do it unless it was a limited episode series, I believe he said it had to be under 10 episodes.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This is my hope, this leads to a full season and then one final movie to close things for good. Would be perfect in my eyes.

I kind of hope they do an X-Files: the Next Generation type deal based off this. They really would have to nail the cast and avoid casting 20 year old CW castoffs, but if they could find a couple with real chemistry, I think it could be rad.

Ophelion

I would not be against having more seasons if the quality is good and the crew feels inspired.

Same. Honestly, I'd even be ok if they eventually got to a point where Mulder and Scully weren't the main agents on the show anymore. Like, I could see a time where Scully is more like Skinner and Mulder becomes the new Deepthroat or Mr. X or what have you. Guest appearances, but with a new generation of determined field agents the main focus. Which would work better than Dogget and them I think because they'd feel more like descendants at this point rather than...awkward step parents.

Again, as long as the stories are there and people are into it.

Although, I also would've gone for the throat and explained Mulder's absence these years as the government having arranged for him an extended stay at Gitmo that Scully has finally figured out how to get him out of, so maybe I'm not a good measure of these things.

Grym

The ratings are going to go through the roof, and I hope they do a full season, not just 6 episodes.

I hope so too.

But the actors need to be onboard for more (I don't think they are). So it will end up like the return of 24...it will do really well but then there will be nothing the next year because the actor(s) aren't on board for more. And then they will reboot with a new cast...and who knows how that will turn out...

EDIT - would be great if they are thinking about this beforehand and they set it up so Mulder/Scully become guest appearances here and there in a new show led by some green/new agents

x-Lundz-x

I kind of hope they do an X-Files: the Next Generation type deal based off this. They really would have to nail the cast and avoid casting 20 year old CW castoffs, but if they could find a couple with real chemistry, I think it could be rad.

I would definitely be down with this as well. They would really need to get the right cast though. Probably find newcomers to the industry.

jackal27

Banned
So hype! This is your chance to give this show the farewell it deserved. Please don't screw it up. Personally I would love to see this turn into a new X-Files show about a brand new duo in the modern day, but that'll probably not happen. Also, as I get to stare at Skinner's wonderful face for 6 episodes, I'll be good.

Erm....

Didn't that guy die?
Last season spoilers?

I've been pretending some things in this show never happened for years. Maybe they've been doing the same?

WanderingWind

I mean, they've been trying to do "not X-Files" pretty much since this went off the air (first person to name check Kojak can eat an alien butt) so they might as well bring it back full force. No more lame ass Fringes. Or pretty boy Tumblr-bait Supernaturals. Or Sunday-school approved Warehouse 13s. Or even lamer copies of copies like Grimm.

Bring back the X-Files, do it right, make it dark and dangerous and sexy and mysterious. There is a niche out there that isn't being filled, dammit.

mm04

Yep, excitement building. The first scene of episode 1 plus the intro will probably make my head explode with pent up nostalgia. I'm just so glad Mulder is wearing a suit again. That makes the X-Files return official to me.

Ophelion

Yep, excitement building. The first scene of episode 1 plus the intro will probably make my head explode with pent up nostalgia. I'm just so glad Mulder is wearing a suit again. That makes the X-Files return official to me.

Oh, god. Do you think they will use that exact same intro again? Will it be a remixed intro with the same theme? Remix of both?

No matter what, I will be satisfied beyond belief.

jackal27

Banned
I mean, they've been trying to do "not X-Files" pretty much since this went off the air (first person to name check Kojak can eat an alien butt) so they might as well bring it back full force. No more lame ass Fringes. Or pretty boy Tumblr-bait Supernaturals. Or Sunday-school approved Warehouse 13s. Or even lamer copies of copies like Grimm.

Bring back the X-Files, do it right, make it dark and dangerous and sexy and mysterious. There is a niche out there that isn't being filled, dammit.

I really feel like the culture is in the right place for it too. It was tough to get people to watch a show about mistrusting the government right after 9/11. 90s nostalgia is riding sooooo high right now as well, but this is a show that could so well in the modern age with so many new elements to play with.

jackal27

Banned
I hope they remix the intro.

You know they will, but what if it was just the original one haha.

xfiles.jpg

Grym

Maybe it's time to re-watch all the old episodes before this starts. Well, I never finished the show so there are new episodes in there too.

202 hour-long episodes + 2 movies (well you can probably skip the second one) in about 4 months....GO GO GO!!! :D

Ashok

Banned
No more lame ass Fringes.
What? Fringe was AWESOME. Probably my absolute favorite TV series since The X-Files went off-line and John Noble is easily my favorite TV actor since David and Gillian in the 90s. God I miss that show so much.

That being said, The X-Files and its cast looks GREAT. So pumped to see
CSM
back. Hope this leads to a Season 11. David seemed open to more seasons in his interviews, and Gillian's schedule should be more open with Hannibal cancelled and The Fall moving into its final season.

That would be horrible. FOX already tried this with Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish. It was called Season 9 and it sucked. David and Gillian as leads or don't even bother.

WanderingWind

What? Fringe was AWESOME. Probably my absolute favorite TV series since The X-Files went off-line and John Noble is easily my favorite TV actor since David and Gillian in the 90s. God I miss that show so much.

That being said, The X-Files and its cast looks GREAT. So pumped to see
CSM
back. Hope this leads to a Season 11. David seemed open to more seasons in his interviews, and Gillian's schedule should be more open with Hannibal cancelled and The Fall moving into its final season.

That would be horrible. FOX already tried this with Robert Patrick and Annabeth Gish. It was called Season 9 and it sucked. David and Gillian as leads or don't even bother.

I mean, you just called "Pacey helps solve mysteries while trying to be a bad boy" one of your favorite shows ever. Suffice it to say, our tastes don't really seem to align. I hated Fringe. Noble was alright, but the scripts he was given too often forced him into super ham mode, which is fun for fans of kitschy stuff, but I'm not a fan of that stuff.

And Season 9 isn't what I'm talking about at all. For one, it was season 9 of a show that had grown a bit stale, not a continuation a decade plus after the fact. Two, there is a reason why Patrick and Gish haven't exactly become household names. They sucked as actors.

But it is a radical idea. There are still Star Trek fans out there who refuse to acknowledge anything without Shatner and Co. as "real." But Duchovny and Gilliam don't appear to be in love with doing this until they die, so eventually it's either going to be between new ideas and a new cast, or no more and we can all just watch our old VHSs until we, ourselves, die of old age.

Ashok

Banned
there is a reason why Patrick and Gish haven't exactly become household names. They sucked as actors.
No love for Robert Patrick? I LOVED him in Terminator 2 and The X-Files Season 8. Heck, Agent Doggett was always one of my favorite characters. The dude is a great actor (imho), the reason Season 9 sucked was because David and Gillian were gone and The X-Files universe cannot function without Mulder and Scully as the focal point.

I am so ready. I've seen all of the Mulder/Scully era episodes multiple times, I listen to an X Files podcast that breaks down episodes and gives commentary (The X-Files Files with Kumail Ninjiani). When I watched both halves of the preview last night my wife definitely gave me the "I can't believe I married you" look when she saw how excited I was for this.

WanderingWind

No love for Robert Patrick? I LOVED him in Terminator 2 and The X-Files Season 8. Heck, Agent Doggett was always one of my favorite characters. The dude is a great actor (imho), the reason Season 9 sucked was because David and Gillian were gone and The X-Files universe cannot function without Mulder and Scully as the focal point.

The X-Files can function just fine without Mulder and Scully, just like Star Trek functioned just fine without the cast that made it a pop culture phenom. The trick is giving the shows some breathing room. Too many shows try to do the "new cast" when people are already sort of over the show. Scrubs, X-Files, every cop show on the planet. But if they brought in a new cast of Scrubs in like, 5-6 more years and call it a continuation and not a reboot, or remake, it'd be successful. Just like Star Trek! And just like the new series of X-Files that exists entirely in several footlockers worth of spiral notebooks in my basement.

Krakn3Dfx

The last 2 seasons of the show were almost complete and utter shit, and yet I am by far more excited for this than any other show coming between now and next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom