• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Files season 10 promo; the show will air on January 24th 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashok

Banned
The X-Files can function just fine without Mulder and Scully, just like Star Trek functioned just fine without the cast that made it a pop culture phenom. The trick is giving the shows some breathing room. Too many shows try to do the "new cast" when people are already sort of over the show. Scrubs, X-Files, every cop show on the planet. But if they brought in a new cast of Scrubs in like, 5-6 more years and call it a continuation and not a reboot, or remake, it'd be successful. Just like Star Trek! And just like the new series of X-Files that exists entirely in several footlockers worth of spiral notebooks in my basement.

Well, just my .02 but to me The X-Files was never about a duo of FBI agents investigating scary cases. The X-Files was about Mulder and Scully finding each other while in pursuit of saving the world. The X-Files became what it was because of David and Gillian, they are the show.

If FOX wants to just keep telling endless paranormal stories, they should just invest in new good sci-fi series. I don't really see a need to use The X-Files brand name to explore anything outside of Mulder and Scully, they are the heart of why the show is special and timeless.

I mean, you just called "Pacey helps solve mysteries while trying to be a bad boy" one of your favorite shows ever. Suffice it to say, our tastes don't really seem to align. I hated Fringe. Noble was alright, but the scripts he was given too often forced him into super ham mode, which is fun for fans of kitschy stuff, but I'm not a fan of that stuff.

How much of Fringe did you watch? The second season flipped everything and turned the show from okay to great. Season 3 was one of the best seasons of television ever. Anna Torv did some remarkable work and the whole cast had fantastic chemistry. It's mythology was also handled pretty well, far better than the Xfiles in fact. In ended decently too.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, just my .02 but to me The X-Files was never about a duo of FBI agents investigating scary cases. The X-Files was about Mulder and Scully finding each other while in pursuit of saving the world. The X-Files became what it was because of David and Gillian, they are the show.

If FOX wants to just keep telling endless paranormal stories, they should just invest in new good sci-fi series. I don't really see a need to use The X-Files brand name to explore anything outside of Mulder and Scully, they are the heart of why the show is special and timeless.

It was both. Obviously, they made the show successful. But that doesn't mean they're the only thing that made it successful, or that their absence means the concept can never be touched again. Time marches on, there is no reason why another non-remake/reboot/reimaging couldn't be quality. Especially in a world where long form storytelling is the norm.

How much of Fringe did you watch? The second season flipped everything and turned the show from okay to great. Season 3 was one of the best seasons of television ever. Anna Torv did some remarkable work and the whole cast had fantastic chemistry. It's mythology was also handled pretty well, far better than the Xfiles in fact. In ended decently too.

I watched to somewhere in the mid 3rd season. I gave it a fair shake. But seriously? Fuck Pacey.

charlie_excited.gif

Ashok

Banned
It was both. Obviously, they made the show successful. But that doesn't mean they're the only thing that made it successful, or that their absence means the concept can never be touched again. Time marches on, there is no reason why another non-remake/reboot/reimaging couldn't be quality. Especially in a world where long form storytelling is the norm.

I guess I'm just questioning what the point would be for a "next-gen" XF series. If you extracted Mulder and Scully from The X-Files... what else in the universe is interesting enough to actually stay inside this this universe? A re-imagining only makes sense to me if there is a large enough hook in the show to make it worth revisiting from a different point-of-view. Having said that, one "pocket" in The X-Files that I do think would be fun to explore again is Frank Black.

Hey FOX, can we bring Millennium back? :D

teiresias

Are some seriously hating on Fringe in relation to X-Files? I mean, I loved both shows, but aside from the fringe-science angle (and only the X-Files really delved into true supernatural subject matter territory) the shows are completely different tonally.

Fringe didn't have a pair of actors or characters with nearly the same chemistry as Gillian and David at the height of the X-Files (and I think X-Files arguably had the best ensemble between the two), but Torv and Noble were great in Fringe.

Fringe also has the upper hand in having a mythology that actually hangs together far better than what the X-Files ended up with in the end.

Anyway, I absolutely cannot wait for this at all. I nearly teared up during that promo dammit!!

Setzer

What? Fringe was AWESOME. Probably my absolute favorite TV series since The X-Files went off-line and John Noble is easily my favorite TV actor since David and Gillian in the 90s. God I miss that show so much.

^This. Fringe is one of the best shows FOX has had since X-Files has been gone. It ranks right up there with my all-time favorite TV shows.

And I think it would be super cool if that was an Observer at the :28-:30 mark of the new trailer. It would make for a great crossover!

Ashok

Banned
^This. Fringe is one of the best shows FOX has had since X-Files has been gone. It ranks right up there with my all-time favorite TV shows.

And I think it would be super cool if that was an Observer at the :28-:30 mark of the new trailer. It would make for a great crossover!

Haha yes, my friend is a die-hard Phile and Fringie and they sent me a DM last night commenting how much the MIB around :30 looked like an Observer. :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Problem is when they try to make sense of things it falls apart. The story got too bloated. I liked the idea that we didn't quite understand what was really happening early on, but then the black goo stuff and the Arnold character, too much back story on cigarette man, etc.

If it hadn't gone that route I would by hyped, but I just expect more convoluted stuff:/

Get hype. Although I don't think I watched any non-Mulder seasons. I probably need some sort of summary too, like a "here's all the fucked up weird cerulean shit that's happened so far" 30 minute special.

man the extended promo worries me. scully's acting at some points its kinda cringeworthy and this whole surveillance thing sounds like FOX forced the storyline on them b/c of the environment we're in.

mf.luder

I said in a previous thread: Faith No More reunion, Twin Peaks S03 and X-Files S10. All that's missing is Mr. Bungle.

I love, love the X-Files and cannot wait for January.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I have been waiting for this. What a great weekend. My birthday and the X-Files comes back, almost as if some cosmic force made that happen.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So weird that this is just 6 episodes. Surely a comeback like this should warrant at least a 13 ep run

Just end on a better note than the second movie. The season 9 finale was garbage but at least the final scene was right. IWTB ruined that and left us with that fucking rowboat shot.

mm04

Just end on a better note than the second movie. The season 9 finale was garbage but at least the final scene was right. IWTB ruined that and left us with that fucking rowboat shot.

I've almost completely expunged the second movie from my memory. I can barely remember what the story was even about other than it was terrible and almost killed the franchise. I've seen Fight The Future sooo many times. I remember seeing it at the theater opening night and the place was packed. Those were the days.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I've almost completely expunged the second movie from my memory. I can barely remember what the story was even about other than it was terrible and almost killed the franchise. I've seen Fight The Future sooo many times. I remember seeing it at the theater opening night and the place was packed. Those were the days.

The 2nd movie depressed me. I felt like it was a dream come true they were making a 2nd movie and then they threw it all away on an average weekly storyline. That could have been a legit resurgence for the brand and instead it went back into hibernation.

rykomatsu

Is the glasses dude who I think it's supposed to be?

Also, looks like time has been kind to Mitch Pileggi...he's lookin pretty great.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Looking forward to this.

I don't get why people want the into theme to be remixed though.

If i had to guess i would say the intro is going to be as close to the original as possible. Season 9 introduced a brand new intro (with same music) and Carter was quoted as saying its bad luck to change your intro like that and of course season 9 was the last season. But then again they are in no negotiating position right now so if Fox demanded a change they would have to go along with it.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Is the glasses dude who I think it's supposed to be?

Also, looks like time has been kind to Mitch Pileggi...he's lookin pretty great.
He's kind of always looked exactly like that. Probably looked older than he actually was at at the beginning of the show, and he's grown into his face now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom