• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #176 - "Spooky!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Theme- "Spooky"

tumblr_ndnonzsQJZ1swa3wko1_500.gif

Word Limit 2,000

]Submission Deadline: October 9th 11:59 pacific time.

Voting Deadline: October 12th 11:59 pacific time.

Grace Periods: Each of the above deadlines will be followed by a 6-hour grace period. Submissions made after the end of the grace period will be ineligible, and votes cast after the end of the grace period will not be counted. Remember that these are grace periods, not extensions of the deadline--you should still submit your work or cast your vote by the deadline set above.

Secondary Objective: Cultural Diversity! Look up another cultures spooky myths/stories to use. Can be anyone, just try and look up one not native to your own. Hell, it doesn't even really need to be "outside" your culture either, so long as you're not familiar with it. Know what a Wendigo is? Know what a Tulpa is? Know who Baba Yaga is? Hell, even if you already know it but don't think a lot of the other participants know about it, give it a go! Point is, lets all surprise one another outside the usual ghosts and demons.

Writing Hangout: The first sunday of every challenge we have a two hour google hangout to give people a chance to write and talk shop. It happens Sunday 2pm pacific time and lasts till 4pm. While at least a mic is recommended, you DON'T need that nor a webcam to participate. We have a text chat too. The way they're laid out, is 10 minutes of chatting, then everyone turns off their mic and hunkers down to write for half an hour. Rinse and repeat. Anyone is welcome to join, newcomers and vets alike.

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.
-Critiques are NOT required. They're simply a thing some posters do. That said, if you like feedback, people would probably like to hear your feedback.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

FlowersisBritish

Yo Papa Cyan, I added a thing about critiques and the hangout. Since we usually copy and past this stuff from challenge to challenge, anything you feel should be changed about their inclusion/descriptions?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I may try to enter something in this challenge. I've never written anything substantial, so it'll probably be junk. We'll see. At the very least I bumped this for more people to see.

Nezumi

Ha! It's like you knew what story I wanted to write and just presented with a topic and secondary that fit my idea. No excuse to not write it this time.

Can I just submit a revised version of that La Llorona story I did a while back? :p

Nah, I've got and idea I've been wanting to do for a while and the secondary might actually be the catalyst to kick the plot in motion

Neeener

Neo Member
Can I just submit a revised version of that La Llorona story I did a while back? :p

Nah, I've got and idea I've been wanting to do for a while and the secondary might actually be the catalyst to kick the plot in motion

That's what I immediately thought of! (only stealing yours)

wait... I said I was out of these things for a bit! Why did you pick a cool topic.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
I'm back to try this again. Been almost a year now as I stopped for nanowrimo and a new job last year. Posting here to hold myself accountable.

Even more so for full critiques. Wanna fully commit.

FlowersisBritish

Spooky?

But what's this funny business about critiques not being required?
-_-'

I dunno. While I was adding stuff about the hangout i was like "Any other odd thing about the challenge I should update too?" And I thought some new, when looking at Mike's massive girth of critique, know that it's optional and not get scarred away. New things, open to critiques about the critique :p

I'll see if I'll have time for this. I hope nothing happens like last time where I had to rush and put something out without editing because I lost internet connection for days.

Aaron

I realized I missed reading other people's stories more than writing them, and made myself join in this time to get out of a creative rut.

Cyan

Banned
Standard writing hangout starts in about half an hour. For anyone not familiar, this is where we get together and write on Google Hangouts. We have ten minutes of chat, then thirty minutes of writing with mics turned off. Repeat three times, for a total of two hours.

Anyone is free to join in if you want to get some writing done. If you join in during one of the writing periods we will all be quietly writing, but we will say hello to you once the writing period is over.

No webcam is required, and while mics are preferred they're not required either, since there's also text chat.

Quote to see hangout link: Don't panic if I'm not immediately there on the hour. :)

Not gonna make it to the hangout this week. Have my sister visiting.

Boooo!

forms

Why am I so bad at this? Why is procrastinating such an easy escape? Why was I not born with English as my mother tongue? Why am I accepting defeat, instead of just writing some crap?

In my head, I am still working on my Fur script from an earlier challenge. :D

FlowersisBritish

One of the greatest things you can teach yourself is the art of sitting down and getting shit done. Have a first draft, don't think it's that great, but at least I have something. Took me like 2-3 hours of research, and about 2 hours of actual writing. Find your flow, don't wait for it. Sit at a desk, or a counter, some place to make you feel official, and just write.
I think everyone has this weird and unrealistic expectation your stuff has to be at least "good" the first time out, but it doesn't. Editing is where you can actually control the quality. With rereading, you see the good, the bad, and that you didn't do as bad a job as you first thought. But to do that, gotta bust out that first draft. Alright, soapbox done.

TLDR; Sit down and write ya lazy bums.

Wvrs

In for the first time.

I used to write a lot between the ages of 13 and 18; hundreds and hundreds of pages. Mostly fan fiction, but I like to think that (relative to my age at the time) it was of a fairly good standard.

Writing as a hobby fell by the wayside for me a few years ago when I started University and got distracted by all the delights Uni life offers, and I'd feel guilty spending hours writing when I knew I had studies to do. So I decided to rectify it and this year signed up to an optional creative writing module, mainly so I can justify spending 20 hours or so a week tapping away and know that it's building towards earning me credit.

So I'll try and engage with these challenges on a regular basis; are they monthly? And could someone let me know how I submit what I've done? Got a first draft for this which I'll work on tomorrow and get in before the deadline.

Looking forward to getting back into creative writing anyway, I'll probably be extremely rusty at first but with luck I'll start producing half-decent work eventually.

So I'll try and engage with these challenges on a regular basis; are they monthly? And could someone let me know how I submit what I've done? Got a first draft for this which I'll work on tomorrow and get in before the deadline.

Semi-weekly! Two per month. It goes on hiatus for NaNoWriMo, though.
When you've finished you have the option of posting the text in its entirety directly in the thread, but this would count as publishing it.
Most people instead save their file as a password-protected PDF and upload to Dropbox or Google Docs then link it here along with posting the password. You can check out any older thread for examples! :)

FlowersisBritish

In for the first time.

Looking forward to getting back into creative writing anyway, I'll probably be extremely rusty at first but with luck I'll start producing half-decent work eventually.

Woot! New Blood! Always happy to see new faces. I actually had a similar experience as you. I finished a creative writing class right before I found these. This is kinda weird to say, but I honestly have found these challenges way more helpful than the class. Only bring it up because at the end of your class you should post about it here and tell us which you found more helpful.

Nezumi

I think I'm out for this week. Been down with a cold for the last three days and I don't think I have enough energy to sit down and write.

Ashes

Banned
I think I'm out for this week. Been down with a cold for the last three days and I don't think I have enough energy to sit down and write.

So lay in bed and dictate to your partner!
That's what I do. ;)
#nothing stops this train. Except maybe death. Yes. That would make a dent in the proceeding.

Nezumi

So lay in bed and dictate to your partner!
That's what I do. ;)
#nothing stops this train. Except maybe death. Yes. That would make a dent in the proceeding.

Bu... *sigh* fine... *downs a couple of ibuprofen and crawls to her desk*

The thought of not participating was already driving me nuts anyway.

Edit: I wrote 66 words... Yup, sixty six...

But I did a lot of research that will be totally useful for my first paragraph. Totally useful... Like, no way I could write that story without it...

Tangent

"Tulpa: Recording Our Imagination" (717 words)

2 things: IDK if I'm allowed to use Flowers' specific example of Tulpa, but I did -- in the title. Yet, I didn't explicitly reference it in the story. And two, I'm not sure if my word art is appropriate with quotations. Whatever!

So I wonder what's on the menu for "spooky." Will this include horror? I might voluntarily DNQ myself if there are super scary stories since I'm a big fat wuss! I think I'll read a few and then decide part-way through. :-D Hee hee.

Cyan

Banned
Do you ever get so tired that you
Slip through time?

The sense of hours stolen from yourself
Overwhelms

And you wonder if there might be somewhere
Another you
A mirror you
Reversed
Spinning up your hours like yarn on a spool

And that other you
That mirror you
Stands stealthily behind your shoulder
Grips your arm with vise-like hands
Sucks up your time and swallows it down

And somewhere along the way, that mirror you inverts and opens out
Becomes you
Takes your life for itself

You pound your fists on the inside of the silvered glass
Fruitlessly
Timelessly

And before you, passing through the glass, your hours unspool
Emptying the spindle
Until naught is left but scraps and fibers
Minutes, seconds
And a useless, empty spool

Go to sleep.

Nezumi

I decided to write my story anyway. It will go up way past the deadline but I rather get dq'ed than not submitting anything.

Ashes

Banned
I decided to write my story anyway. It will go up way past the deadline but I rather get dq'ed than not submitting anything.

believe.

edit: btw... I will have free time this weekend. Which hasn't happened in oh.. a good while. So I should be able to read every story. So I should be able to vote!

Nezumi

Why? Why doesn't this story come together?
I'm starting to think all that snot is clogging up my brain as well as my nose...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom