• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought a DSL, need game recommendations

coldvein

Banned
I'm leaving for a lengthy trip in the near future and today I picked up a DS Lite on a whim. Now I'm gonna pick up one or two games and I need some recommendations. My criteria:

- I'm not going to sit on an eight hour plane flight playing Brain Training or Nintendogs. No non-games plz. Something that has actual gameplay in which I can progress is needed.

- Don't break my heart by suggesting games that I have no chance ever finding. I don't live in a huge city, but my town has Kmarts Walmarts Bestbuys Gamestops etc. No imports either obviously.

- Regular GBA games would be fine. I already own: Castlevania: AoS, Metroid Zero Mission, Zelda LTTP, and Advance Wars 2.

thanks kiddos

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Why dont you just search for that huge DS recommendation thread instead of making another one?

KINGMOKU

If you like Advanced wars, get Dual Strike. It's awesome, and perfect for trips like yours.

Man that game is awesome.

DO get NSMB, it is a great game and you should have no trouble finding it. Don't go in with ridiculously high expectations and you should have fun.

I second the recommendations for Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, moreso if you liked the first one...Advance Wars: DS seems like a no-brainer if you are able to find it (I ended up having to go online). Mario Kart if you like Mario Kart.

Castlevania: DoS seems like another no-brainer but it might be a tough find; availability of that game is weird. Definitely keep an eye out for it.

When you get back from your trip, order Phoenix Wright online...you might want to wait until the new printing in September but definitely jump on it; they'll sell out fast! Also pick up Castlevania if you weren't able to find it in stores.

FFIV GBA is another possibility if you are into FF; that's a great timekiller for a long flight.

echoshifting said:
DO get NSMB, it is a great game and you should have no trouble finding it. Don't go in with ridiculously high expectations and you should have fun.
My expectations were of Mario calibur. NSMB certainly isn't.

UncleGuito said:
My expectations were of Mario calibur. NSMB certainly isn't.

I'm not going to get in a debate with you about whether or not NSMB is a good game in this thread. I loved it, I think he should buy it, and that's as far as it will go. It just seems to me like you troll this game every chance you get and it gets old.

KINGMOKU

echoshifting said:
I'm not going to get in a debate with you about whether or not NSMB is a good game in this thread. I loved it, I think he should buy it, and that's as far as it will go. It just seems to me like you troll this game every chance you get and it gets old.
Yup, thats his M.O. as far as I can tell. I just picked this game up yesterday, and it's fantastic, and any old school gamer will love the hell out of it.

Dont mind him, buy this game as well, but like I said, if you like Advanced Wars, good god man get Dula Strike.

coldvein

Banned
Wario64 said:
Why dont you just search for that huge DS recommendation thread instead of making another one?

because I love making you upset.

Thanks for the recommendations people. As of now I'll definitely get Advance Wars DS, then one other game. I'm thinking NSMB, Mariokart, or Castlevania. But I don't think I've ever seen Castlevania on a store shelf, so I'm not getting my hopes up..

coldvein said:
because I love making you upset.

Thanks for the recommendations people. As of now I'll definitely get Advance Wars DS, then one other game. I'm thinking NSMB, Mariokart, or Castlevania. But I don't think I've ever seen Castlevania on a store shelf, so I'm not getting my hopes up..

I have all four of those and you really can't go wrong. Good luck finding Castlevania...it's the best of the three you are choosing between, in my opinion...and have fun!

Johnas

I honestly can't believe we're doing this again, but...

New Super Mario Bros.
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Kirby: Canvas Curse

All are must owns, imo. Soon enough we'll have Final Fantasy III and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin to add.

Castlevania is around, just look. I saw a couple at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago.

maxmars

Metroid Prime hunters is a great fix of portable Quake. Tetris is very pickup-and-play, some of the new play modes are cool, recommended.

If you're going for long flying hours, don't miss Mario & Luigi Partners in time, it's got some nice humour and gameplay is excellent.

NSMB is a safe bet.

As for GBA games well there's a ton of them you should bring with you: Zelda Minish Cap, Drill Dozer, Golden Sun, at least one Fire Emblem (since you like Advance Wars), Pokemon Emerald..

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Advance Wars DS and Trauma Center: Under The Knife

For GBA games:

Get Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age (Screw the haters)

::cough::
B00095LIC0.01._PE16_.NDS-Kirby-Canvas-Curse._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

KINGMOKU

Kobun Heat said:
Why this bothers some people, I just dont understand. He asked for some game rec., and we offered up some suggestions.

Oh well. Good luck with your search for the games in question.

Vexidus

Super Princess Peach!!

Lots of value: minigames/levels in them to unlock, jigsaw puzzles where you have to find the pieces throughout the levels, music tracks to find in the levels, plus the coins you collect and use in the store to buy special moves/all of the above

The later levels and bosses get a little bit challenging, nothing too difficult however, but it's a relaxing and fun platformer to play!

This is also a great game to play while watching dvds casually, like a TV series on dvd (Stargate SG-1 for example :D )

Top Bottom