• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays...31 Nights of Horror...3

Teknoman

0nB8KcP.png

They're coming to get you GAF...they're coming for you GAF! Lurking around every corner...keep your stake sharp! It's the third annual GAF plays 31 nights of horror thread!

October is usually the month where all things horror, creepy, or just all around halloween themed are focused on, from movies to books, so why not games? Now is the time to give those horror tinged games that have been silently rotting away in your backlog a shot, recommend others, revisit ancient ones, or spend some time focused on that new game you just picked up.

Although it isnt set in stone, the main challenge of this thread is to play through as many games that fit the theme as possible before the month ends. As you go, posting experiences, thoughts, images, etc. are definitely encouraged.

The games i'm planning on going with so far are:

I've had this game for awhile now, but never got around to playing it. With a bit of buzz kicking up in the NES/Famicom thread, what better time to check it out? Its a pretty straight forward action platformer with a baseball bat counter attack gimmick, but the real draw is apparently how crazy the game can get, and that's saying a lot for the 8-bit days.

Gargoyle's Quest trilogy since I most likely wont have the time to attempt to blast through a proper Ghouls and Goblins game. I've only played and beaten one of the games in this trilogy (Demon's Crest) so this time i'm going to try to play through all 3 in order.

Also known as Dracula X in North American (Vampire's Kiss in EU), its pretty much a reimagining of the PC engine Dracula X: Rondo of Blood. Continuing a kind of tradition to go through some sort of Castlevania game this time of year, this is one I've never played, only heard some of the music from. Playing the Super Famicom version.

Smashing faces and demolishing houses. Enough said.

Visions of fear:

Layers of Fear - Shitstorm 4: Matt & Pat's Scariness Marathon

Dusk Golem's streams

Green Card's Fatal Frame 1 Xbox playthrough

Teknoman's Akumajo Densetsu XX / Dracula X SNES playthrough

My life in Gaming: Sweet Home / Resident Evil Before & After

Teknoman's Splatterhouse 3 playthrough

Sounds from another realm:

Retronauts Micro 024: Spooky Save Room Mixtape

Wonderdudes in Gamesoft World: Episode 012 - Corpse Party

*Special thanks to SevenDevils for the thread banner and IrishNinja for getting the ball rolling on the first thread last year.*

I love this idea! I'm also doing the 30 Days Of Horror moviethon and I got two boardgames for the season (Ghost Stories and Eldritch Horror), but never thought of playing horror games too :)

I *should* finish Alien Isolation, if that counts, but I'm not feeling the game as I mostly end up waiting in closets for long periods of time and when I get out I just run into the alien again.

So instead I might try

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow which I have had installed on my PC quite a while. I just found out Hideo Kojima was somewhat involved so this renewed my interest. I have some older Castlevania's on my Wii which are also contenders, I really only played Vampire Killer (the original Castlevania on MSX2) and Symphony of the Night.

Castlevania_Lords_of_Shadow.png

Project Zero (Fatal Frame) series, since I own all the PS2 games but have never played them. I also have the newest one pre-ordered for WiiU so that's extra motivation.

Fatal_Frame_Coverart.png

Javier23

Banned
I *should* finish Alien Isolation, if that counts, but I'm not feeling the game as I mostly end up waiting in closets for long periods of time and when I get out I just run into the alien again.
Every single time I tried to hide in a locker in that game it ended up being a total waste of time. I played through the game rather smoothly without using them. I loved it. I'd suggest you to try and do the same.

ike_

I like this idea too. If you are looking for some spoopy games to play I can recommend the obvious: SOMA, Until Dawn, Layers of Fear, etc.

But a pretty niche one from last year I liked a lot was The Moon Silver. It's $2 on Steam, and is also a very "my first Unity"-style game, but if you don't mind one maybe two moments of "oh I didn't click there" (i.e. referencing a FAQ) this game has a great tone, a great level of tension, and is overall pretty great.

Alright, I'm in for this. Do the Souls games count? I mean, they're pretty horrific. Pushing the definition a bit further, how about the Metro games? I'm half way through 2033 and have not started Last Light.

Games in my backlog which I will play or try to play this month:

Dark Souls (PS3)
The House of the Dead Overkill Director's Cut (PS3)
Lone Survivor (Vita)
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Vita)
Bloodborne (PS4, but I don't want to return to this until I've finished Dark Souls)
Maybe PT to finish the month, on Halloween night itself.

This is mine so far:

500px-MTOldTestament.png

It's a remake of Atlus's first ever game, the original Megami Tensei fan translated into English, which they made at Namco during the 80s for the Famicom before they formed the company Atlus, this remake was made on the Super Famicom. What's hilarious is the first boss is none other than
Minotaur. He seems to be a favourite first boss pick for some reason.

The intro is very impressive (that atmosphere), combat is fleeting, sprite work really good and the music is amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcUDPNoPuYo

Project Zero (Fatal Frame) series, since I own all the PS2 games but have never played them. I also have the newest one pre-ordered for WiiU so that's extra motivation.

Fatal_Frame_Coverart.png

The game is rather clunky to control now and it's fixed camera rather than you having any control on the camera, but it's actually better (and more manipulative at making you think you're seeing things) than say, the old RE games. The original is a classic and essential to anybody who considers survival horror a genre they enjoy. Really excited for 5 coming out on Wii U, it's been a very long time since the last original Fatal Frame/Project Zero game in English for console.

Teknoman

Souls definitely counts. Really anything that even has the smallest horror/terror/creep factor to it. Even if its cartoony like Costume Quest. Splatterhouse Wanpaku Grafitti, Okage Shadow King, or Kid Dracula.

I wanted to get Stasis for October, but I've got too much on my plate already.

kogasu

Ok I think I can try this.

How bout Grim Fandango? I'm currently on a first playthrough of it.

On top of that. The rest might be a bit cliche but I love these games. I'm sorry:

Eternal Darkness - Ok I've been wanting to do my annual replay of it but I held off until now which would be a perfect time. By this point I pretty much know the game by heart.

Resident Evil 2 - I've been on a playthrough this and I'm still on Claire A. I'll try to get through the rest including Leon B.

Castlevania: Bloodlines - I feel like I'd take too long finishing SotN so I'll do this one. Very short game but the Palace of Versailles always gets me.

Silent Hill 3 - Is it crazy that I've only finished this game once? I need a second playthrough. It has always been my most favorite of the series.

House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return - I was reminded I haven't finished either of them. I'm not sure if I'll take the time to finish them but I'll play them for fun from time to time.

Persona7

Banned
I will play

- Fatal Frame 2
- Neverending Nightmares
- Siren
- Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
- Other random horror game(s) I get on sale

I might re-arrange or add other games, I need to double check my library. I will omit the Silent Hill and Resident Evil series because I play those games frequently. I dropped SOMA because I wasn't really feeling it. I also finished Until Dawn a few weeks ago too so that is out.

The game is rather clunky to control now and it's fixed camera rather than you having any control on the camera, but it's actually better (and more manipulative at making you think you're seeing things) than say, the old RE games. The original is a classic and essential to anybody who considers survival horror a genre they enjoy. Really excited for 5 coming out on Wii U, it's been a very long time since the last original Fatal Frame/Project Zero game in English for console.

Man, RE games are a black chapter in my gaming life. I had them when they were new, bought some of them again on PC, now I have the PSN versions on my PS3... but I can't play them. I just can't control my characters or aim for shit. It's really super frustrating. This goes for RE1-3 and Code Veronica, everything after controls differently and I have no issue with.

This are the only games ever I cannot enjoy because of the control scheme.

I don't mind PS2 games, I just finished Zone of the Enders 2 and Persona 3 in an attempt to clear out backlog.

Just finished Dragon Age Inquisition last night, so the timing is perfect for this.

My October list is as follows.

House of the Dead
Trying to solo this game

Hunter the Reckoning Redeemer
Final going to finish this game.

Alien Infestation
Picked it up at launch better never finished it.

tumblr_nls4ccVEgy1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

Since its on sale, I'm going to be playing

Corpse Party. Heard lots of great things, and I'm in the mood for a good VN.

I would like to play more but I don't think my schedule will allow it. If Until Dawn randomly goes on sale I might pick that up too. Only reason I haven't already is due to time, loved that I played when I rented it.

Man, RE games are a black chapter in my gaming life. I had them when they were new, bought some of them again on PC, now I have the PSN versions on my PS3... but I can't play them. I just can't control my characters or aim for shit. It's really super frustrating. This goes for RE1-3 and Code Veronica, everything after controls differently and I have no issue with.

This are the only games ever I cannot enjoy because of the control scheme.

I don't mind PS2 games, I just finished Zone of the Enders 2 and Persona 3 in an attempt to clear out backlog.

Well, the newer Fatal Frame games (at least IV, the remake of 2 on Wii and the newest entry on Wii U) all use the standard third person camera as opposed to fixed cameras. The first three Fatal Frame games thankfully for you don't use "tank controls" but they're still rather clunky. I think you're in for a treat anyway, just make sure you play it at night with the lights off. ;)

Since its on sale, I'm going to be playing

Corpse Party. Heard lots of great things, and I'm in the mood for a good VN.

I would like to play more but I don't think my schedule will allow it. If Until Dawn randomly goes on sale I might pick that up too. Only reason I haven't already is due to time, loved that I played when I rented it.

I'm drawing close to the end of my first play through at the minute. It has it's flaws but it is really good and quite hard to take at times. Recommended.

Teknoman

With tank control games, just take your time and line up the shot. There is a good bit of auto-aim in play, so you shouldn't really miss that easy from a good range.

IrishNinja

in!

beat bloodborne but im stuck at the chalice dungeons at the moment, so i'm lookin at:

Uninvited
Sacred Line (Genesis VN)
Costume Quest (should finish this up if i renew PS+)
REmake (hoping capcom does a halloween sale!)
Alien Isolation

if my roomie is playing the latter (its his copy) might go rent Until Dawn and see how that is

Teknoman

I'll say one thing about Until Dawn. No matter how much gore you've seen in movies, books, or games, the death scenes will make you cringe. I think its the voice acting that really kicks it over the edge.

kogasu

For some people it just can't work out I guess. I'm probably just gonna rehash things that you already know but just always make sure auto-aim is on in the options. Never play without auto-aim really. I mean sometimes it's not enabled by default. I also tend to find it easier to control with the d-pad than the control stick if that helps.

Teknoman

Oh that's right, I said i'd start Extermination for PS2. Since the other games aren't that long, that'll probably be something to throw in after beating a couple.

I have Outlast + Whistleblower, Alien Isolation, and Bloodborne to play this month.
If Until Dawn goes on sale, I'll put off BB for that to play in Oct instead.

GreatNumber

Unconfirmed Member
Scary/unsettling/the raw stuff backlog:
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
Amnesia: The Dark Descent*
Call of Cthulhu: DCoE*
Darkest Dungeon (does this end?)
Dead Space 1, and 2
Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut
Dropsy*
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream (also the book)*

LISA* Terr Bear and Bradster's Excellent Adventure
First Impressions: 2D Pixel art. Imagine a platforming Earthbound that was slightly more crude and messed up with rpg mechanics and combo lists. This game is...it's something, about an hour in and I have been Hit
in the face with a
beer
bottle by my dad,
dropped
a baby, took some
drugs, lost my hair
, stopped taking
drugs,
had my friends
killed,
met a man in a
leopard tank top,
got hit by a car, and then got my stuff robbed by a dude who came on screen riding a doe and
his posse. To those who didn't click on the spoiler tags, you don't understand what's going on, good. Because this game is qwerky and weird, in similar veins of earthbound except a bit more adult and gruesome. I haven't played much but this game makes me want to play so much more of it and makes me want to see every part of it. Game runs smooth, music so far is decent as well. I've also bought the sound track back when it was on sale, and have listened to a few of the later tracks, it goes places. This is most likely going to take the number 1 priority out of the starred games on this list due to apparently being relatively long.

Lone Survivor: Director's Cut
Penumbra: Black Plague, Overture, and Requiem
Resident Evil 1 (Ps1, REmake, and REmastered)
Resident Evil 4

Uncanny Valley* Anarchy Man SimulatorFINISHED
359580.jpg

TIMES IT MADE ME JUMP: 4
First Impressions: 2D pixel art. The art itself looks good. Major problems with it though is that the text is also in this pixel aesthetic, creating times where words are just annoying to read during parts of tension. Also the text can overlap, I don't know why they would have this be a thing but I've had text overlap at least 3 times in the limited amount that I have played, nothing super bad but it was text I couldn't get to trigger again. Other problems with the game is that it is buggy, framerate seems to drop at random intervals, some of the background art doesn't line up to where it should be, in some menus you can use a mouse cursor in others you cannot, I don't know why it's like this but it is a minor inconvenience. Adding to inconveniences, your flash light turns off when you go into every new area, and sometimes doesn't turn on when you press the button (I don't think this game has a batteries mechanic). Had one thing that made me jump in 80 minutes of playing, but it is just beginning, the background noise and ambiance is pretty good. Also
This game seems to have multiple endings/continuation in failure points,
along with the idea of humans trying to make a sentient robot being only to fail in very specific and horrible ways.
Overall, i'm going to continue playing this during the weekend and actually try to beat it, but if I don't I feel that I would just want to read the story from a wiki. It's one of those games where the story is sort of the driving factor of you wanting to keep on playing it, or at least that is the impressions I've gotten from it with the 80 minutes I've spent with it.

Final Thoughts: I have..."beaten" this game. After 3 hours with this game I have played through it 4 times. 3 being fail states, and 1 actually being an ending. After I got an actual ending a bit of relief came off my shoulders because I knew. That was where I was going to stop. The game isn't horrible but it is just the little problems, the lack of information, the buggy controls and menus that kill it for me. At one point the game becomes stealth oriented with no information given to you that it has. You are thrown in there and the game expects you to either immediately grasp the situation or die, and death doesn't happen quickly in this game. There are auto saves but they are obviously written over when a new save comes up, and once you reach certain end points your save file is deleted so you can't continue. Meaning you have to restart, do everything you did before or try to look at what you did wrong and then hope that in 30 minutes you won't fuck up again or forget that the area you are going into has enemies that will just murder the shit out of you.
In a normal game that's somewhat harsh but okay, the idea of learning from past experiences is a way that you can teach a player what they are doing wrong. The problem is that this is a horror game, a genre that is supposed to be designed for you to be afraid of what comes next, not sitting in a hallway waiting for the timer to run out so you can progress. This game opens up with it saying that you will have to play this multiple times to get everything, and that is also okay if your game is designed around that idea. This game I feel wasn't designed for it, I feel that for your 3rd 4th 5th 6th time through this you should know what is going to happen, and just say, fuck it i'm not going to bother doing this because it doesn't matter for the ending I want, or it doesn't matter because I just want to get the fuck out of here, and it isn't even in the sense of oh man this place is fucked up I need to get out of here it's just that you want it to be done. Like going to a crappy haunted house.
Overall this game was bad, as a game in general and a horror game a like. I enjoyed the story bits but when the game just started faffing about and didn't work in some areas it turned my intrigue of what was going to happen next into a desire of wanting to stop playing. For those who wish to possibly purchase this game I would say to probably hold off for a sale.
Here is also a link to a steam community post that talks about the general story in the game. https://steamcommunity.com/app/359580/discussions/0/620712999980884298/

Undertale

The ones with stars i'm going to try my best to beat, but seeing as how midterms are during this month and projects don't seem to be getting lighter it'll end up being another Halloween during Christmas scenario. Honestly I'll be amazed if I beat one of these games.

IrishNinja

oh fuck, totally forgot I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream came to GoG right? excellent pick, that's been on my list forever now

Def joining in on this. Recently got a lot of extra free time so I'll be doing this in addition to 31 Days of Halloween movie edition. Going for games that fight in with Halloween and I haven't played yet outside of the Castlevania series. Super pumped about playing Nightmare on Elm St and Friday the 13th just due to how much I enjoy the movies and how bad I hear the games are.

Monster Party [1989] - NES
Gargoyle's Quest [1990] - GameBoy

Castlevania [1986] - NES
51PQ8MJFQWL.jpg

Castlevania II: Simon's Quest [1987] - NES
Castlevania_II_Simon's_Quest.jpg

Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse [1989] - NES
Castlevania_III_Dracula's_Curse.jpg

Super Castlevania IV [1991] - SNES
Super_Castlevania_IV_North_American_SNES_box_art.png
Easily my favorite Castlevania and one of my favorite games
Castlevania: Dracula X [1995] - SNES
22584_front.jpg

A Nightmare on Elm Street [1990] - NES
Friday the 13th [1989] - NES
Super Ghouls N Ghosts [1991] - SNES
Demon's Crest [1994] - SNES

BTails

Great job on the OP Teknoman! Had a blast last year, so I'm looking forward to it again! Will be updating with a list tomorrow...

Super pumped about playing Nightmare on Elm St and Friday the 13th just due to how much I enjoy the movies and how bad I hear the games are.

I absolutely love both of those games, actually, especially Nightmare, which is an underrated NES platformer from Rare, with some great music.

EDIT: I forgot I played Friday the 13th last year for GAF Plays 2:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=132543830

Great job on the OP Teknoman! Had a blast last year, so I'm looking forward to it again! Will be updating with a list tomorrow...

I absolutely love both of those games, actually, especially Nightmare, which is an underrated NES platformer from Rare, with some great music.

EDIT: I forgot I played Friday the 13th last year for GAF Plays 2:

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=132543830

I'm actually really pumped about it. Starting off with Demon's Crest tonight to get a jump start. Also added The Simpsons: Night of the Living Treehouse of Horror [2001] - GBC to the list since it was sitting in my GBC and I never beat it.

Teknoman

Remember, if anyone has any streams or knows of anyone with a stream, or even a recent podcast related to stuff like, post it.

GreatNumber

Unconfirmed Member
Remember, if anyone has any streams or knows of anyone with a stream, or even a recent podcast related to stuff like, post it.

Would video series also be apart of this, because The Two Best Friend's are doing their annual "SHITSTORM OF SCARINESS" over on their channel and website all October.

CJCW

I still haven't started Outlast, so I'll do that for sure, and I'll buy Book of Shadows while it's still on sale. Maybe I'll get SOMA as well.

Is Outlast's DLC any good?

BTails

I still haven't started Outlast, so I'll do that for sure, and I'll buy Book of Shadows while it's still on sale. Maybe I'll get SOMA as well.

Is Outlast's DLC any good?

Outlast Whistleblower is, in my opinion, better than the base game. And this is coming from someone who loved Outlast.

tav7623

At the moment I'm only planning to play through at least three horror related games this time around (Fatal Frame 3, White Night, and Evil Dead: Regeneration), but I might end up adding some since I am a bit behind schedule of the 52 game challenge (so far I've completed/finished 34 games and would need to complete at least 5 games or more each month for the next three months in order to beat the challenge) it just depends on a few things (how quickly I finish those three games also at the moment I'm still debating on doing a 31 days of Halloween deal where I watch a scary movie a day for the whole month) that haven't been decided just yet.

Being a 97% handheld gamer is fustrating when it comes to horror games. Besides Corpse Party (which is the best one of the best horror series so I got lucky that it was on handheld) theres not much of anything on 3DS or Vita.

I have $10 on PSN, $16 on eShop (because I have $10 and already had $6 on eShop) anything good horror games I missed?
-Resident Evil I just don't have fun with it.
-Lone Survivor might be a good one but I already have it on PS+ and was waiting to renew it before playing since it'd be a waste of money otherwise.
-The Firefly Diaries might be a good horror game but just not enough money for it due to moving soon. Only other money I have is for Corpse Party: Blood Drive.
-Already played Home. Pretty good.
-I have Escapee Go on DSiWare in my backlog. Dunno how much of a horror game it is but screen shots look sorta horrorish.

Just glad I got Corpse Party: Book of Shadows. My likely GOTY is all I really need so I'm set, but if theres any horror games at any price I miss let me know so I can make a note to buy it in the future. My main likes are the 2D top down horror games like Corpse Party and The Witch's House. (Which I've never played even tho its my favorite horror game lol.)

GreatNumber

Unconfirmed Member
I understand that these four are not everyone's cup of tea but I consider this to be the best month of content from them.
The Two Best Friends Play Yearly "Shitstorm of SCARYNESS"

Will update when the new playlist goes live

Website links:
http://superbestfriendsplay.com/series/shitstorm-of-scariness/ (2012)
http://superbestfriendsplay.com/series/shitstorm-2-the-shittening/ (2013 Shittening)
http://superbestfriendsplay.com/series/shitstorm-3-shittribution/ (2014 Shittribution)

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL57hJfweW_2vdTqDavHVGZtszglPpS8hD (2012)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbEhXSb2JEY&list=PL57hJfweW_2uCQD_8aY8LmZQ0Wqb3xXza (2013)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sglDGombEBM&list=PL5CrS7MLBo5XOFd4YemM4PidxWHbun5Yw (2014)

Join Matt, Pat, and occasionally Woolie and Liam on a journey to the darkest corners of the video game market as they trudge through this SHITSTORM OF SCARYNESS!

Teknoman

Being a 97% handheld gamer is fustrating when it comes to horror games. Besides Corpse Party (which is the best one of the best horror series so I got lucky that it was on handheld) theres not much of anything on 3DS or Vita.

I have $10 on PSN, $16 on eShop (because I have $10 and already had $6 on eShop) anything good horror games I missed?
-Resident Evil I just don't have fun with it.
-Lone Survivor might be a good one but I already have it on PS+ and was waiting to renew it before playing since it'd be a waste of money otherwise.
-The Firefly Diaries might be a good horror game but just not enough money for it due to moving soon. Only other money I have is for Corpse Party: Blood Drive.
-Already played Home. Pretty good.
-I have Escapee Go on DSiWare in my backlog. Dunno how much of a horror game it is but screen shots look sorta horrorish.

Just glad I got Corpse Party: Book of Shadows. My likely GOTY is all I really need so I'm set, but if theres any horror games at any price I miss let me know so I can make a note to buy it in the future. My main likes are the 2D top down horror games like Corpse Party and The Witch's House. (Which I've never played even tho its my favorite horror game lol.)

What about Silent Hill 0rigins? Is that for download on Vita yet as a PSP title? Theres always Dracula X Chronicles and Ultimate G&G as well.

Lernaean

Banned
I have this feeling that this gen is (or will be) better for horror fans than last one was. Here's hoping.
Also I'm a huge horror fan, but one sub genre i really don't enjoy is the 'stupid teenager running away from masked killer- slasher' thing. I guess I won't enjoy Until Dawn, right?

Let's Do This!

I always miss the first day of these things, but not this time!

I hope to at least get through these:
bbZEgwz.png

Shouldn't be too hard. I can definitely get through RE4 and Clock Tower(SNES) in one sitting. I've played but never beaten Haunting Ground and Clock Tower (PS) and I've never played Illbleed or Silent Hill(I know, I know)

If for some reason I end up beating all of these I have a few obscure PS2 games to fall back on so I'm not strapped for spooks!

Happy haunting everyone!

Have you played 999 on the DS? It's a visual novel with puzzle solving. I think the sequel is also on the Vita.
Ah yes! Also one of my favorite series! :)

What about Silent Hill 0rigins? Is that for download on Vita yet as a PSP title? Theres always Dracula X Chronicles and Ultimate G&G as well.
I did try a Silent Hill game before, but just couldn't get into it sadly. Thanks tho. I'll look into the other gamea on youtube.

Hopefully after I move I can rehook my PS4 back up and play more horror. :D

Great selection in here!!

I would love to join for the Monster Party, but all my games are in storage at the moment..

I'll have to make due with Steam this year!

Top Bottom