• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I forgot how good the FF8 soundtrack is

ghibli99

I've been listening to the FF8 OST today after not having heard it for a good 3-1/2 years. About a week ago, I was listening to the MIDIriffic FF7 OST and decided to dust this one off.

It's amazing how much better the instrumentation is in this soundtrack, and I think a lot of the compositions are better in general, too. Julia, the piano version of Eyes On Me, is simple and beautiful. The Man With The Machine Gun was finally a great diversion from standard FF battle music, Breezy reminds me of a similar song in Chrono Cross, and Waltz For The Moon everyone remembers. :) Very good stuff, and can be enjoyed outside of playing the game on their own.

It reminded me that I really liked the Laguna/Kiros/Ward sequences in the game.

Anyway, sorry for the redundant FF thread. It's Friday, it's been a tough week, and this soundtrack has helped calm me down a bit. :)

SantaC

Gold Member
The landing is one of the best FF tracks ever imo. The man with the machine gun is of course another winner.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Don't Be Afraid is probably one of my favorite video game songs ever, it still gets me amped up when I hear it

I can also hear the cursor flipping between all the options frantically

ssoass

Yeah, FF8 is definitely my favorite, although I think that's largely because of nostalgia.
I rank them like this musically:

1. FF8
2. FF6
3. FF12
4. FFT
5. FF7
6. FF9
7. FF10

Don't really remember any of the music from FF4 and FF5. (except FF5's main theme and the Gilgamesh battle music, which are awesome)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Mejilan said:
The old (demo) version of The Landing was much better, but both are amazing.
You need to find this and upload it, because I'm curious as to what it sounded like.

Oh, and Balamb Garden's theme is sooooo relaxing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GaimeGuy said:
You need to find this and upload it, because I'm curious as to what it sounded like.

Get the Blue Fields track off the piano collection. Freaking awesome.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
GaimeGuy said:

I have it. Lemme upload it somewhere. I believe it was taken out and redone in the final game due to its similarity to a song from The Rock movie soundtrack. I'll find a place to upload it to, I guess. I currently have it labeled and tagged as a "bonus song" in my FF8 OST.

GaimeGuy

Mejilan said:
I have it. Lemme upload it somewhere. I believe it was taken out and redone in the final game due to its similarity to a song from The Rock movie soundtrack. I'll find a place to upload it to, I guess.
www.yousendit.com

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Get the Blue Fields track off the piano collection. Freaking awesome.
Have it. :)

Mejilan

URL will be ready in a second. I don't know if it was ever officially named, but I called it "Attack on Dollet" instead of "The Landing".

GaimeGuy

Mejilan said:
Zere you go...
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=613823D831040E51

It's high up there on my "favorite but obscure/unreleased" list along with an old E3 promotional trailer Metroid Prime 1 main theme (which was totally redone in the final game, and like the case with FF8, both versions are amazing).
Pretty good, but it's seriously held back by the synthesizer. It sounds like Uematsu was still using his FFVII synth at times. :lol

Mejilan

Oh, not even close. FFVII is nigh-unlistenable to me, in ways inferior to SNES synth, even.

GaimeGuy

Mejilan said:
Oh, not even close. FFVII is nigh-unlistenable to me, in ways inferior to SNES synth, even.
I mean, you can definitely hear some of the same instruments as used in other FFVIII tracks in that song, but there are some things that sound... off.... I dunno.

And why does that song sound so familiar to me, even though I've never heard it before? Maybe it was recycled into another FFVIII song...

There was a track that was in the demo but it wasn't in the game. Was it The Landing? Was it even in the OST? I remember shelling out $50 buying the special edition of it when it came out all them years ago. Despite all its flaws, I really loved that game. The story and some characters just needed to be fleshed out a bit more. Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec, Succession, and especially Succession of Witches are my favorite tracks. Long live Edea/Ultemicia. I remember playing the hell out of that demo.

Edit: Thanks mejil.

Mejilan

Welcome. In the demo? Yes. In the final OST? No. Apparently, the song was too similar to a song from The Rock movie, and when this was brought to his attention, he reworked the song for the final game.

"The Landing" was the song that replaced the one I YSI'd above.

GaimeGuy

JoshuaJSlone said:
Interesting that we still think of it as a "modern" FF, when it's now about as old as IV was when VIII came out.
haven't you heard?

Everything FFVII and up is modern, while FF1-6 are old news. :lol

Is there a program that'll let me rip movie files off of a psx cd for the mac? I want to see the ending of the demo without having to play through it (though getting chased by that mechanical spider was incredibly fun the first 100 times).

GaimeGuy

Verboten said:
Is there a program that'll let me rip movie files off of a psx cd for the mac? I want to see the ending of the demo without having to play through it (though getting chased by that mechanical spider was incredibly fun the first 100 times).
I don't have the video, but I have the music that plays during that part. :lol

FF VIII OST is great stuff! It's one of my two favorite FF soundtracks; VI being the other. It's cool to see even people who don't (though I'm definitely a fan of the game too!) "Blue Fields," "Balamb Garden," "Premonition," "Love Grows," the final battle themes, "Waltz for the Moon," "Overture" ... all great stuff.

Mejilan, I'm snagging the demo music now. Thanks SO much for uploading that -- it's something I've been looking for for a long time!

Mejilan

Greenpanda said:
FF VIII OST is great stuff! It's one of my two favorite FF soundtracks; VI being the other. It's cool to see even people who don't (though I'm definitely a fan of the game too!) "Blue Fields," "Balamb Garden," "Premonition," "Love Grows," the final battle themes, "Waltz for the Moon," "Overture" ... all great stuff.

Mejilan, I'm snagging the demo music now. Thanks SO much for uploading that -- it's something I've been looking for for a long time!

No problem duders. I've had it for years. Should have posted about it sooner, in one of our many FF8 cluster**** threads.

BTW, the game sucks donkey balls. There. Sorry. Had to say it again. :D

GaimeGuy

Greenpanda said:

Don't forget Liberi Fatali, Don't Be Afraid, Starting Up, Force Your Way, The Landing, Never Look Back, Dead End, Breezy, Shuffle or Boogie, The Man With the Machine Gun, Julia, The Mission, Only A Plank Between One And Perdition, Succession of Witches, The Stage Is Set, Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec, Rivals, Movin (Song that plays when you activate the Garden's flying system), Fisherman's Horizon, Dance With the Balamb Fish, or the Ending Theme.

ghibli99

@ Mejilan: Thanks for sharing that track... I still have that demo in a box somewhere. Watching that demo on the bigscreen at work for the first time was one of those *moments*... like the first time you saw Leviathan cast in the FF7 demo. Lots of people had to go change their underwear after that one.

Glad to see all the love for the OST... the game itself is something everyone disagrees on, but it's nice to see the almost universal approval of the game's music.

Wow, forgot how FF6-like The Extreme sounds!

Mejilan

Welcome. And yes, I've got more love for the OST than I do hatred for the game, it's just that freakin' good. (The OST).

Edit - Welcome to you too, Admiral.

The SeeD song is likely my favorite from the OST. That is, the one that is played for Headmaster Cid. There's a handful of other songs I like too. I still like VII a lot more though. VIII may be technically much superior, but I just love the songs of VII too much.

As for Eyes On Me, I absolutely hate it. At least, the in-game version. It makes me cringe, like the "Ha Ha Ha" forced-laugh scene in FFX.

bengraven

You guys make me happy. :D

I've loved all the soundtracks for FF. Yes, I'm just another Nobuo whore. VI-X are my favorite gaming soundtracks of all time.

But 8 is still the best. It's also the first thing I ever bought from eBay. It's the first gaming soundtrack I HAD to have. "Eyes on Me" is still a ****ing fantastic song and I've added it to non-gaming mix tapes I've given out to non-gamers and they fell in love with it as well.

Cheers.

Everytime I note Eyes On Me's engrish, it makes me like the song a little less. It needed a little more work. Kinda like how Rika Muranaka's I Am the Wind doesn't quite fit in with the SotN OST, but is good on it's own.

GaimeGuy

Verboten said:
Everytime I note Eyes On Me's engrish, it makes me like the song a little less. It needed a little more work. Kinda like how Rika Muranaka's I Am the Wind doesn't quite fit in with the SotN OST, but is good on it's own.
Engrish? What are you talking about?

The song makes perfect sense, especially since it has an "in-game" story to it (Julia wrote it because of her meeting with Laguna).

Mejilan

Tellaerin said:
There have been many times I've disagreed with you, Mejilan.

This is not one of those times.

Terrible game. Amazing soundtrack. Not the first or last time it happens. :D

Mejilan said:
Terrible game. Amazing soundtrack. Not the first or last time it happens. :D

:(

I think I'm going to trust Himuro instead of you and pick up FF8, because I still have yet to play it. Only FF I've never played.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Diablos said:
WHENEVER SANG MY SONGS

:lol

Whenever sang my song,
On the stage on my own
Whenever said my words
wishing they would be heard

If frown is shown then
I will know that you are no dreaming

Top Bottom