• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Beta Xbox One Frame-Rate Test

Theorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9KdTM1xp6Y

[QUOTENo early access for us on this one - we finally got a look at the Xbox One version of Star Wars Battlefront this morning, we spent the day playing and analysing it, and here's our report. Oh, and yes - it is rendering at 720p. So how well can it sustain its 60fps target?[/QUOTE]

720p confirmed.

PS4/XB1 are mostly equivalent to the PC high settings.

Performance is mostly 60fps on PS4/XB1, drops to 50 on both version in the interior area of Hoth.

PS4 looks better and performs slightly? better than the XB1 version.

Bsigg12

I wonder if they ever considered the dynamic resolution that games are using on the Xbox One like Halo 5.

Kadin

Experiencing a pretty high amount of texture pop in. Lots of textures aren't loading like they should. Attribute it to beta but the frame rate seems decent.

Not amount of coding skill can overcome the hardware gap. It's unfortunate that the Xbone version is 720p, but I doubt that Microsoft would allow a significant reduction in graphical fidelity to get a higher resolution or even if DICE wanted to do so themselves.

720p confirmed.

PS4/XB1 are equivalent to the PC high settings.

Performance is mostly 60fps on PS4/XB1, drops to 50 on both version in the interior area of Hoth.

PS4 looks better and perform slightly better than the XB1 version.
Except when they aren't (LOD). Blanket statements will not help a DF thread too much!

Bsigg12

720p anno 2015. Well, Microsoft must resent their hardware choice.

Don't worry, Panos Panay will lead the Xbox Two to glory. That man could sell water to a fish.

But seriously, had the team now leading the hardware division at Microsoft been in place 3-4 years ago, the Xbox One would be completely different.

Couldn't even do 792p or whatever. What was the last actual 720p title on XB1?

Battlefield Hardline I believe.

watership

720p anno 2015. Well, Microsoft must resent their hardware choice.

Yet there are a bunch of games that look gorgeous at 1080 or around there with 60fps. This seems like a DICE engine problem, considering this is only 900p on the PS4.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Going to download and play all three betas for shits and giggles. Wonder if the difference will be very noticeable to me?

BokehKing

Banned
Looks like Phil is going to have to send his team out again to show them how to get the game up to 900p

Like he had to do for Diablo and Destiny

DICE didn't create the Xbone hardware. They are working with what they have to keep within their creative vision.

I'm sure they can do better than 720p considering nearly every other developer can since the Kinect reserve was removed.

EDIT: Even PS4 is 900p just like BF4 at launch.

Bsigg12

Going to download and play all three betas for shits and giggles. Wonder if the difference will be very noticeable to me?

From XB1 to PS4, yes it's easily noticeable. PS4 to PC would depend on your setting on PC but the PC version easily smashes the PS4 version when you get everything up to Ultra at at 1080p+.

Kezen

Banned
Yet there are a bunch of games that look gorgeous at 1080 or around there with 60fps. This seems like a DICE engine problem, considering this is only 900p on the PS4.
I don't think this is on DICE's end. Battlefront is really impressive visually, and 60fps has a hefty cost. Which framerate do those "gorgeous" games target if they're 1080p ? Halo 5 failed to make an impression on me graphics wise, I find Battlefront head and shoulders above and DICE are one of the most technically proficient devs out there.

I know it's hard but sometimes facing the truth is painless : the hardware is to blame.

Kudos to DICE for having done as best as they could.

I'm sure they can do better than 720p considering nearly every other developer can since the Kinect reserve was removed.

The graphics themselves are a real step above BF4, that's probably where the extra power went, but then again that was CPU power not GPU (I think).

The PS4 version also has a more consistent framers and better AA to make up for the 900p. I'm perfectly happy with 900p60fps over 1080p30fps. These consoles aren't powerhouses, we aren't getting 1080p60fps for the vast majority of games.

see5harp

DICE are not even close to being technically proficient nor do they ever release games that work well at launch.

Still 720p? That engine does not work at all with XBOX architecture.

720p again haha thats pretty sad :/

Man DICE really bites. Unacceptable.

Looks like Phil is going to have to send his team out again to show them how to get the game up to 900p

Like he had to do for Diablo and Destiny

720p..

Eesh

it's 900p on the PS4 so probably not. DICE need to go take their tech out back
As if this is some problem with the engine? hah!

It could probably be 900p on xb1, just with much lower graphical fidelity(PC's medium or low).

Al-ibn Kermit

900p patch incoming? Is it possible?
That's an improvement of like 50% more pixels. I doubt it but it really doesn't matter to me much, I still enjoyed BF4 on XBO after the server issues were sorted out.

Sharper image is nice to have but it won't be as big a deal as much as the server situation. My only concern is if it will be basically a good game so I have to play the beta to figure that out.

If a game was 720p it wouldn't really matter to me if the graphics were proportionally better. but in this case they're not :/

Not amount of coding skill can overcome the hardware gap. It's unfortunate that the Xbone version is 720p, but I doubt that Microsoft would allow a significant reduction in graphical fidelity to get a higher resolution or even if DICE wanted to do so themselves.

What about every other game that has parity?

What about MGV that went from 720p to 900p in less than 2 years?

And Microsof, or Sony, has no control over which path the developers takes reguarding perfomance and IQ. The game has only to be playable and without security bugs.

When I tried BF4 on XB1 again a couple of months ago my first instinct was to go to the setting to see if something was set wrong. 720p looks awful.

zsynqx

I don't think this is on DICE's end. Battlefront is really impressive visually, and 60fps has a hefty cost. Which framerate do those "gorgeous" games target if they're 1080p ? Halo 5 failed to make an impression on me graphics wise, I find Battlefront head and shoulders above and DICE are one of the most technically proficient devs out there.

I know it's hard but sometimes facing the truth is painless : the hardware is to blame.

Kudos to DICE for having done as best as they could.

Maybe it is a bit of both. There engine might heavily use GPU compute of which ps4 has 6 more CUs. Or something else about their engine might lend itself better to the PS4 architecture as like others have said, a number of other games don't have such a large gap.

see5harp

As if this is some problem with the engine? hah!

It could probably be 900p on xb1, just with much lower graphical fidelity(PC's medium or low).

It's poor decisions with hardware ALONG with the inability to adapt to those limitations. It's up to them to either lower graphical settings or change the way their engine works for the weaker platform.

hawk2025

I'm sorry. Blaming Dice is ridiculous.

They are prioritizing what they think they should with a pretty fantastic looking engine. The hardware requires resolution sacrifices to reach their target, and you guys just need to deal with it.

RoKKeR

Yikes, I thought we were past the 720 days. Other than BF Hardline which was also using, has there been a recent AAA game at 720 on the console?

Top Bottom