• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer on OG Xbox BC and 360 BC Support on PC

phil-spencer-2-320x180.jpg

LukasTaves spotted this comment in an interview by Brazilian Gizmodo with Phil Spencer. This below quote is going through Google translate so there may (will) be some inaccuracies.

Nice to know both options are, at the very least, still being considered. Ninja Gaiden Black on my XB1 please!

LewieP

It's an extremely non-committal statement. Not anything to get too excited about.

I suspect if they ever do 360 BC on any non-Xbox devices, it will be by streaming, with the associated latency, loss of image quality, and presumably some kind of charge beyond just buying the game.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I badly need Ninja Gaiden 2 on the PC. My favourite Ninja Gaiden game, easily. That combat engine can never get old. All that dismemberment too!

For a second i didnt realize this was probably a translation.

Dis sentence:
So yes, I want to do, but has many other things we want to do well.

Its like charlie from always sunny
"Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do."

PantsuJo

Aside from NG and some DoA, the only original XBOX games that I want are the Sega exclusives.
But I think this is also a decision of Sega, not only of MS, despite its future support for original Xbox will happen, i'm sure.

I feel like "it's great to have that feedback" is something seared into his brain as "you have to say this"

I would love this for PC though. especially OG xbox. give me easy access to buffy and otogi and I'll give you whatever you want

LewieP

To be fair, that's what a lot of people said about 360 BC before it was announced this year.

Aye, that's true enough.

Although I'd still encourage cation over getting too excited about BC until it has actually shipped, and a large selection of games run with equal or improved performance to running the same game on the 360.

dex3108

Xbox 360 emulator runs on X1 now, X1 will be Win10 machine soon so X360 emulator should be easy to port on Win10 at least.

wrowa

An official 360 emulator on PC would truly be a gamechanger (in terms of game restoration). I can't quite see it happening, but who knows what the future might bring - it's not like Microsof really has anything to lose by making this possible in a year or two.

Arkanius

360 on the PC?
That would be great

As long we could render in whatever resolution we wanted and not be capped to the system defaults :)

Corpekata

Banned
Seems weird for him to sort of randomly bring it up if there's no intentions there. Like, I'd get the normal placation lines for stuff someone bugs him about, but nobody's really asking about BC on PC.

Now he's just added to the list of questions he's gonna get asked all the time.

BPoole

That would be amazing. I'm glad MS is more open to putting their games on other platforms rather than just restricting it to their own console. I suppose they are in a unique position to do that since they own Windows, but I would love to see Nintendo and Sony open up to this idea, too.

It's an extremely non-committal statement. Not anything to get too excited about.

I suspect if they ever do 360 BC on any non-Xbox devices, it will be by streaming, with the associated latency, loss of image quality, and presumably some kind of charge beyond just buying the game.

He also says in that interview that the goal for the team is to have your Xbox games available on every device you own, and that streaming, and 360 BC on xbone are steps in that direction.

I think it's a matter of time, but eventually they will have all your games running natively if the device can take it, or via streaming if performance or battery life are concerns.

Of course, that's still years off, but it's nice to now where they are heading.

roytheone

Isn't there an 360 emulator for PC that is developing pretty rapidly? Coming out with a paid, official one before that one reaches playable status could be a pretty smart move from microsoft.

STEaMkb

"We definitely think about Xbox as our gaming brand at Microsoft, so as we move beyond just what the console is about, you'll see that brand move with us [...] the most logical adjacency to us, is PC [...] we're bringing more and more of our content to Windows and console..." (19:30)

scitek

You're thinking wrongly. To Microsoft, every Windows 10 device is an "Xbox device" now, not just the dedicated console. Though, I don't think it's going to happen.

there are, like, what, 5 games or so really worth playing from the OG Xbox? It seems like a waste or resources to get BC for that going.

Three of the big exclusives I can think of: Riddick, Stranger's Wrath, and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, already have solid PC ports. The only ones I can really think of needing to be ported are Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, and Ninja Gaiden Black.

Don't they have to pay Nvidia some sort of royalties for emulating the OG Xbox hardware, I'm sure that would play into this.

Still, it would be awesome to one day have the entire exclusive Xbox back catalogue available on PC via the storefront. There's some real gems on the original Xbox that I wouldn't mind revisiting.

NoKisum

Hey Microsoft. You reading this? Okay good.

A well made official 360 emulator, that lets me redownload my previous digital 360 purchases, on Windows 10 will get me to officially upgrade to W10.

Ball's in your court.

deadman69

nice words but i really don't think they'll actually do this. they don't even have their pc back catalog available on pc.

there are, like, what, 5 games or so really worth playing from the OG Xbox? It seems like a waste or resources to get BC for that going.

-Crimson Skies
-Otogi
-Project Gotham Racing 1 (and 2)
-Mechassault 1 (and 2)
-Panzer Dragoon Orta
-Jet Set Radio
-Ninja Gaiden Black

Off the top of my head. Not counting Halo 1 & 2 since they're on the X1 now.

Great original Xbox games locked to that platform off the top of my head.

Best version of Double Agent
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Otogi
Otogi 2
Ninja Gaiden Black
Halo (some visual features are missing in Anniversary)
Conker: Live and Reloaded
Crimson Skies
Mech Assault
Mech Assault 2
Breakdown

Not counting a bunch of other great multi-platform games either. If I could pay $10 for the LAN compatible Battlefront games I would be pretty excited.

"We definitely think about Xbox as our gaming brand at Microsoft, so as we move beyond just what the console is about, you'll see that brand move with us...", "the most logical adjacency to us, is PC...", "we're bring more and more of our content to Windows and console..." (19:30)

Yeah, like I said before, their goal is clear. Sooooo excited about the future.

I do wonder how they will handle the console, though. Will they have OEM partners making consoles like they do with win phone and now pc, with their reference designs, but not the only options? That would be rather awesome.

Kezen

Banned
"We definitely think about Xbox as our gaming brand at Microsoft, so as we move beyond just what the console is about, you'll see that brand move with us [...] the most logical adjacency to us, is PC [...] we're bringing more and more of our content to Windows and console..." (19:30)

Good.

Yeah, like I said before, their goal is clear. Sooooo excited about the future.

I do wonder how they will handle the console, though. Will they have OEM partners making consoles like they do with win phone and now pc, with their reference designs, but not the only options? That would be rather awesome.

I would think it best to only have Microsoft make an "Xbox" for retail. Let their OEM partners make console like PCs if they like but I would think it important to have Xbox stay as a single, flagship, device.

If they put BC on PC it would be after is free upgrade year is over

Don't see why. I mean, yeah, scheduling, but their goal here is to inflate the Win 10 userbase as quickly as possible to make the store more appealing. Putting 360 BC in said store doesn't seem contradictory at all.

Great original Xbox games locked to that platform off the top of my head.

Best version of Double Agent
Jet Set Radio Future
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Otogi
Otogi 2
Ninja Gaiden Black
Halo (some visual features are missing in Anniversary)
Conker: Live and Reloaded
Crimson Skies
Mech Assault
Mech Assault 2
Breakdown

Not counting a bunch of other great multi-platform games either. If I could pay $10 for the LAN compatible Battlefront games I would be pretty excited.

Shenmue II
Fusion Frenzy
Capcom vs SNK 2
Phantom Dust
TimeSplitters 2
Dead or Alive 3
Steel Batallion
Beyond Good and Evil
Sands of Time
Morrowind
Jade Empire
Psychonauts
etc.

LordOfChaos

They're thinking of 360 BC on PC? Interesting, even if non-committal. Well thar's your Halo 3 on PC I guess.

I think someone who did the 360-One BC said it was much easier because of the whole APU/eSRAM setup though, so I wonder what they would do with that. For desktops there's still no unified memory (well, only in abstracted address space there is, not physically). Could that be somewhere where APUs start to shine?

MilkyJoe

Why would they go to the expense of setting that up when they can just sell them shelled in a 360 OS like how it works on Xbone?

Nzyme32

Shit - I got rid of all my old Xbox and Xbox 360 games a long time back. Good stuff if they do do it. Always good to support backward compatibility in a way that can be practically guaranteed to be there indefinitely

I would think it best to only have Microsoft make an "Xbox" for retail. Let their OEM partners make console like PCs if they like but I would think it important to have Xbox stay as a single, flagship, device.

Yeah, perhaps it would be for the best.

But then a win 10 console edition that you could download and install in any Pc could fill that gap, I would love to see something like that too.

EDIT:

You guys making lists, you are forgetting about the GOAT Rainbow Six. I believe the game came out on other platforms, but the xbox one was different (and much better).

They will have to do something about xbox live being shut down, though.

Top Bottom