• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A handheld Xbox? Microsoft’s gaming chief can’t stop thinking about it

Superbean

Neo Member
Xbox s level hardware could be done in a handheld with the next Gen of amd apu easily, the phawx has a video, even the 8840u would be close. Id totally pick one up, but I'm a dirty slut for handhelds

MarkMe2525

As I've already explained to you I'm in a million+ population US metro on a hardwired Gigabit fiber connection situated within 1-2 hour drives of several other million+ pop metros. It's not a connection issue, it's objectively Xcloud's terrible encode/decode and throttled bitrate. The fact you can't see the issues on a 5" phone screen or 17" monitor doesn't mean they're not real. Their streaming video quality is indisputably the industry's worst by a wide margin. That's without even touching on the unplayable input lag introduced by streaming 30fps console code across the internet. The service is shit top to bottom and Phil likely torpedo'ed the entire Xbox hardware brand diverting the majority of Series X silicon to server blades during covid shortages.

ShotX1.jpg
Soo... it just so happens to work great for me, because I'm special? It's your connection (through no fault of your own) full stop. If it really looked like "trash sludge 480p youtube with tons of lag", I would say so and not use it, but it doesn't. If you have a good connection to one of their nodes, it looks fine, it plays pretty good. Your subpar experience isn't indicative of the service, when working correctly. In my experience, it was no better or worse than stadia non-pro version. Sometimes stadia worked better, sometimes xcloud worked better.

Last edited:

Nydius

Microsoft chasing trends, as usual. I wrote this in the Chris Dring topic but it bears repeating: If Microsoft is just in the prototyping stage, they are years away from launch. That's years where existing handheld manufacturers will have time to improve and refine their products. The market Microsoft would be launching their Xbox Handheld into would be nothing like the current handheld market today.

Given that Xbox is the lowest marketshare device, launching without Steam support would be a death sentence. if it's just a portable Xbox, only the hardest of the hardcore Xbox fans are going to be interested in it due to their existing libraries but broad market appeal will be limited, at best. Plus, could you imagine being a developer being told "Hey, now you need to develop for the Series X, Series S, and Handheld"?

Edit:
Just the richest company on earth.

If they dont have games they will just buy every developer until they do.

Yeah because being owned by the richest company on earth worked out so well for Windows CE PDAs, Zune, Windows Phone, and NOKIA.
They've given Surface Tablets a much longer leash but those are also very close to being thrown on the pile of irrelevance.

Last edited:
I am seeing the Xbox handheld as something else entirely...

I believe Phil is simply trying the salvage the future of Xbox hardware the only way he knew how. A way to keep the Xbox library alive.

We know that right now, a Series S probably can't be run on a handheld. But maybe it can be done at some point when the tech is better. And when it does come out, the remaining Xbox customers would be able to get their game library access back. I think Phil is just wanting to avoid killing the libraries of the customers who had been supporting him all this time.

Economics might get in the way though. There might not be any means to do this handheld that would actually MAKE MONEY, and that might mean Phil could be forced to kill the idea.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
MEEHHH

The only way this would be exciting is if they go with their own custom APU because otherwise even if they go with the latest one the 8840U that's not very exciting spec wise

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
well, they have to find another competitor in the gaming market once they quit the console market.

Their new competitor will be steamdeck and switch 2

DaGwaphics

Lots of words about the frustration we’ve all felt when doing anything Xbox-related outside of Xbox.

Just talk to Valve, get cross-save working for all Xbox games that is on Steam, sync Steam and Xbox Achievements, make Gamepass games launch through Steam, make sure everything can run on Steam Deck.

A dedicated Xbox handheld will flop.

Even if a Xbox branded handheld was a flop, by Xbox standards, it would probably sell 2 or 3 times the amount that Steam Deck has sold so far.

Rockman33

Even if a Xbox branded handheld was a flop, by Xbox standards, it would probably sell 2 or 3 times the amount that Steam Deck has sold so far.
Very true. People are acting like the steam deck has 10’s of millions. It’s a pretty niche machine. It’s probably sold 1-2% of the switch.

If they can make one that has the power of a series S, that would sell gangbusters IMO. It would be supported by every 1st and 3rd party game right out of the gate, all native, on the go.

Last edited:
Very true. People are acting like the steam deck has 10’s of millions. It’s a pretty niche machine. It’s probably sold 1-2% of the switch.

If they can make one that has the power of a series S, that would sell gangbusters IMO. It would be supported by every 1st and 3rd party game right out of the gate, all native, on the go.
There is a reason they wouldn't be able to. They would end up with a Gamegear. Burning hot with 30min battery life.
Good comparison too, as you can run the Master System cartridge on a Gamegear.

Last edited:

Rockman33

There is a reason they wouldn't be able to. They would end up with a Gamegear. Burning hot with 30min battery life.
Good comparison too, as you can run the Master System cartridge on a Gamegear.
If it ran for 30 mins that would be shit. If they can get it to 2-3 hours that would be pretty great. I’m not saying this will happen.

I was saying IF they can fit the power of a series S into a handheld and it meets standards of other handhelds, battery life, temperature, screen, etc. that would be a fantastic piece of hardware.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
If it runs Windows (and not some proprietary “Xbox” OS), can play Steam games, and is priced right, I’m definitely interested.

If it ran for 30 mins that would be shit. If they can get it to 2-3 hours that would be pretty great. I’m not saying this will happen.

I was saying IF they can fit the power of a series S into a handheld and it meets standards of other handhelds, battery life, temperature, screen, etc. that would be a fantastic piece of hardware.
It is nice to dream. I am sure Sony would love to release a portable PS4 if it was at all possible.

DJ12

Heavily subsidised and easy to convert to Linux or suitable other emulation platform them I'm in, else I'm out. I have zero interest in a handheld system capable of running worse looking games from a proper console, but emus on the go sure do.

I have a r35s little handheld, just need something bigger and better.

Legion Go proves nothing capable will be cheap.

Reallink

Soo... it just so happens to work great for me, because I'm special? It's your connection (through no fault of your own) full stop. If it really looked like "trash sludge 480p youtube with tons of lag", I would say so and not use it, but it doesn't. If you have a good connection to one of their nodes, it looks fine, it plays pretty good. Your subpar experience isn't indicative of the service, when working correctly. In my experience, it was no better or worse than stadia non-pro version. Sometimes stadia worked better, sometimes xcloud worked better.

I don't think you're special, I think you're just some combination of too small a display from too far away, having very low standards for image quality, have no knowledge or point of reference for what it's actually supposed to look like, or possibly failing eyesight.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Phil shitting on Windows is funny, Satya should give him the guillotine just for that blasphemy
I think it's good that he recognizes the issues with Windows as it relates to these handheld gaming PC's. Windows as it exists today is mediocre for handheld gaming. A more focused gaming experience would be great.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Who is going to support it though?
Its library will consist of games automatically supported due to its hardware. If it runs PC games or native Xbox games, it'll have out-of-the-box support for countless titles and it'll be automatically supported moving forward. Microsoft aren't going to create a bespoke platform ala PS Vita. The age of those types of dedicated secondary platform devices is over.

As I've mentioned before, the issue isn't so much the support, it's their target market. If it's an Xbox in your hands, they have the same problem as their consoles: they're not making games that enough people give a shit about and a portable Xbox loses out against every PC-portable in terms of features. They should've launched the generation with their handheld instead of the Series S if they wanted to lead the market. On the otherhand, if it's just another PC-portable, they're competing against the Steam Deck. So, as a Steam Deck owner, why would I buy this thing? Unless they've managed to deliver a lot more power at a much lower cost, I feel they're setting themselves up to lose because, honestly, what are the odds of Microsoft delivering an objectively better device than the Steam Deck?

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I have zero interest in a handheld system capable of running worse looking games from a proper console, but emus on the go sure do.
then you aren't in the market for PC handhelds.
I'd recommend a Miyoo Mini or an AYN Odin 2.

Miyoo Mini for pre-Dreamcast, Odin 2 for 6th gen-Switch. (y)

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Always chasing a trend, never innovating. I expect to see the shills/influencers Astro turfing in short order.
Yep. Except they're so lazy that they'll just think about it and blabber on about how beneficial it is to the Xbox brand and how "when everyone plays we all win" and other platitudes from the Xbox division.

I'd wish for something grandiose and amazing considering Microsoft's resources and expertise but it's likely going to be yet another ROG Ally clone.....

damidu

Always chasing a trend, never innovating. I expect to see the shills/influencers Astro turfing in short order.
exactly lol, running like a headless chicken to make fetch happen.
its over bozo, retire already as the person that killed xbox consoles.

Its library will consist of games automatically supported due to its hardware. If it runs PC games or native Xbox games, it'll have out-of-the-box support for countless titles and it'll be automatically supported moving forward. Microsoft aren't going to create a bespoke platform ala PS Vita. The age of those types of dedicated secondary platform devices is over.

As I've mentioned before, the issue isn't so much the support, it's their target market. If it's an Xbox in your hands, they have the same problem as their consoles: they're not making games that enough people give a shit about and a portable Xbox loses out against every PC-portable in terms of features. They should've launched the generation with their handheld instead of the Series S if they wanted to lead the market. On the otherhand, if it's just another PC-portable, they're competing against the Steam Deck. So, as a Steam Deck owner, why would I buy this thing? Unless they've managed to deliver a lot more power at a much lower cost, I feel they're setting themselves up to lose because, honestly, what are the odds of Microsoft delivering an objectively better device than the Steam Deck?

That's the big question - how are they going to accomplish full BC on a handheld device? Even the XSX is way above what a handheld would be capable of.

Just put serious coin into a great screen + form factor + battery + elite 2 controller style/paddles + emulation + xbox/GP/PC ecosystem and we're good. Stop fucking about and get the Surface team on it, then price the hell out of it and loss lead for once.

Y'all spent $70Billion, imagine if you had of just dev'd 5 killer games and loss led the shit out of powerhouse Xbox beyond comprehension. Do that with your handheld and all the other PR fluff you have Phil. I trust in you still but you got to make it a front runner instead of side or behind.

Drop COD/FIFA/GP with a great loss leading handheld bundle and watch that shit blow up.

Last edited:

Fredrik

You think so? I don’t. I think it would be a historical flop. If the main console isn’t selling, why would a handheld where the games run worse sell? Can’t see any market excitement for this product.

ZehDon

Gold Member
That's the big question - how are they going to accomplish full BC on a handheld device? Even the XSX is way above what a handheld would be capable of.
I see them doing it in one of two ways. If they're custom building their own hardware, it's not entirely unfeasible to squeeze an Xbox Series S into a portable formfactor (cost might be prohibitive, though). And if it really is just a portable Series S, it'll "just work" - likely with OS-level work to shift resolution down to the device's inbuilt display. That would be a "Xbox Series P". They can take a loss on the hardware, because it'll be locked to the Xbox eco-system, so it may be the cheaper option.

If it's a PC portable - meaning no native Xbox compatibility - it'll just be another Windows device, and will work with the majority of PC titles without any issues. In this scenario, I'd imagine it won't be branded "Xbox", even if it falls under Spencer. That would be a "Microsoft Surface P" or some-such. However, if this is the case, it may spur Windows OS-level improvements to get overhead down for gaming to let their PC-portables perform better. Of course, without the ability to lock it to the Xbox ecosystem, they'll have to make a profit on the hardware, so this thing could end up quite expensive.

Last edited:

DJ12

then you aren't in the market for PC handhelds.
I'd recommend a Miyoo Mini or an AYN Odin 2.

Miyoo Mini for pre-Dreamcast, Odin 2 for 6th gen-Switch. (y)
Yeah been looking at an odin2, but figured if MS do w handheld they will sell it at a loss and it would be far more powerful

DaGwaphics

You think so? I don’t. I think it would be a historical flop. If the main console isn’t selling, why would a handheld where the games run worse sell? Can’t see any market excitement for this product.

On the face of it, why would anyone buy a gaming machine as weak as the Steam Deck to begin with. People like the portability factor.

Cyborg

They wanna compete with Nintendo in the handheld market? Good luck! And also if Switch 2 uses Nvidia tech and this new MS handheld uses AMD it's already doomed.

Crm114

Hey look if they manage to put out a good product more power to em. Competition is good for everyone will force everyone to up their game.

Last edited:

Fredrik

On the face of it, why would anyone buy a gaming machine as weak as the Steam Deck to begin with. People like the portability factor.
Steam Deck is a Linux PC with built in controller and mouse pad(s), you can either use it as a portable or dock and turn into a regular PC/console. Full file access. No limits. I even have my own Unity game sitting there in my Steam library.

A dedicated Xbox handheld would be locked down to just run Xbox games/apps. I just don’t see a big market for that, would be super niche.

DaGwaphics

Steam Deck is a Linux PC with built in controller and mouse pad(s), you can either use it as a portable or dock and turn into a regular PC/console. Full file access. No limits. I even have my own Unity game sitting there in my Steam library.

A dedicated Xbox handheld would be locked down to just run Xbox games/apps. I just don’t see a big market for that, would be super niche.

What you describe sounds more niche to me than a portable Xbox, tbh. Especially if they bring the thousand or so 360 and OG Xbox games along in some way. It all depends on the capabilities of the device, the price, what the library is etc. But even if it were niche in terms of traditional Xbox, I think it would still garner better sales than the Steam Deck. All the current portables are niche to a certain extent.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Not running Windows is one of the top selling points for the Steam Deck to me. The last thing I want is another device with that horrific OS on it in any form.

Last edited:

Reallink

They wanna compete with Nintendo in the handheld market? Good luck! And also if Switch 2 uses Nvidia tech and this new MS handheld uses AMD it's already doomed.
Luckily for portable competitors Nintendo's 2025 console will be using a cutdown underclocked 5 year SOC and be their most outdated console since Wii. So even AMD won't have problems outperforming it.

Last edited:

Fredrik

What you describe sounds more niche to me than a portable Xbox, tbh. Especially if they bring the thousand or so 360 and OG Xbox games along in some way. It all depends on the capabilities of the device, the price, what the library is etc. But even if it were niche in terms of traditional Xbox, I think it would still garner better sales than the Steam Deck. All the current portables are niche to a certain extent.
I just don’t think Xbox is popular enough today that a portable Xbox would pull people in. I think it’ll just sell to a small percentage of existing customers, like 10%. And what’s WW sales figures for Series consoles now? 25 million? So 2.5 million units in that case. Worth it? I don’t know.

Buggy Loop

Well......that's really the challenge he has to solve. Can't just make another Windows handheld. What's the point? Can't just make an Xbox handheld either. Needs to come up with something innovative and different. A $600 Xbox handheld is dead on arrival.

Alright.... hear me out

• Windows handheld. Yup, bye bye Xbox consoles
    • Dock for PC, even work related, or simply leave it like a console.
  • They absolutely have to make a better PC xbox app, it's so bad. But if they ditch consoles, the team can focus on a better gaming environment on PC.
    • Option within windows to start directly into a console mode "big screen", wake up from controller, pause/resume gaming session, basically all the QOL improvements they put hard work into on consoles, to PC windows.
  • Let Steam store on it. Let it be a fully functional PC in fact if you want.
    • Now how do you compete with Steam? Who the fuck would bother to buy on Xbox app?
      • They have to dig into their pockets and do an Epic of themselves, lower platform fees for devs to put it on PC Xbox store. But not like Epic which kept the same prices, the lower fees should force lower price.
      • Keep gamepass of course, a variation of it at least, the whole thing probably needs a 2nd look on if games have to come to it day 1.
      • Even if peoples use it as a Steam machine, Microsoft don't care. Just like they don't really care you would be using free version of windows, or office, One Drive, etc. They make cash regardless of your choice. They telemetry your ass and sell data. They got to a $3T company with this kind of business model. Why would gaming be exempt.
  • 100% digital
    • Buggy Loop are you insane? My answer : Blockchain
      • Blockchain. You buy a key. It's yours. Want to resell it? Blockchain allows it. You want to sell it to Gamestop used? You can. You want to give it to a friend? You can. Same benefits as physical. Hell, with that blockchain based digital wallet, you could even resell your DLCs, rare skins, etc.
      • In an ideal world, (and there's gonna be a LOT of questions to answer for the digital age and consumer rights), that keychain could/should be valid for any platforms. The tech could make it completely platform agnostic as long as platform holders agree to it. Ultimately, publisher sells you an agnostic key. Nintendo switch 2 accepts key? Could unlock game on switch. Samsung TV accepts key, Apple TV accepts key? etc etc. I doubt we would get there fast but I think Its inevitable.
I don't see many paths forward where they make an handheld and have success if they aren't as aggressive as the above...

DaGwaphics

Not running Windows is one of the top selling points for the Steam Deck to me. The last thing I want is another device with that horrific OS on it in any form.

They might start to integrate Windows or at least the Windows Xbox store more into Xbox. Allowing games you buy to carry over to PC (expanded play anywhere of some type) could boost buyer confidence.

Topher

Gold Member
Alright.... hear me out

• Windows handheld. Yup, bye bye Xbox consoles
    • Dock for PC, even work related, or simply leave it like a console.
  • They absolutely have to make a better PC xbox app, it's so bad. But if they ditch consoles, the team can focus on a better gaming environment on PC.
    • Option within windows to start directly into a console mode "big screen", wake up from controller, pause/resume gaming session, basically all the QOL improvements they put hard work into on consoles, to PC windows.
  • Let Steam store on it. Let it be a fully functional PC in fact if you want.
    • Now how do you compete with Steam? Who the fuck would bother to buy on Xbox app?
      • They have to dig into their pockets and do an Epic of themselves, lower platform fees for devs to put it on PC Xbox store. But not like Epic which kept the same prices, the lower fees should force lower price.
      • Keep gamepass of course, a variation of it at least, the whole thing probably needs a 2nd look on if games have to come to it day 1.
      • Even if peoples use it as a Steam machine, Microsoft don't care. Just like they don't really care you would be using free version of windows, or office, One Drive, etc. They make cash regardless of your choice. They telemetry your ass and sell data. They got to a $3T company with this kind of business model. Why would gaming be exempt.
  • 100% digital
    • Buggy Loop are you insane? My answer : Blockchain
      • Blockchain. You buy a key. It's yours. Want to resell it? Blockchain allows it. You want to sell it to Gamestop used? You can. You want to give it to a friend? You can. Same benefits as physical. Hell, with that blockchain based digital wallet, you could even resell your DLCs, rare skins, etc.
      • In an ideal world, (and there's gonna be a LOT of questions to answer for the digital age and consumer rights), that keychain could/should be valid for any platforms. The tech could make it completely platform agnostic as long as platform holders agree to it. Ultimately, publisher sells you an agnostic key. Nintendo switch 2 accepts key? Could unlock game on switch. Samsung TV accepts key, Apple TV accepts key? etc etc. I doubt we would get there fast but I think Its inevitable.
I don't see many paths forward where they make an handheld and have success if they aren't as aggressive as the above...

One question....

Buggy Loop are you insane?

Top Bottom