• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stefanie Joosten (Quiet's VA/mo-cap/facial cap/singer) should get more work in games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

DISCLAIMER: Yeah, she's pretty, but this is not a waifu thread. I don't know what she's like as a person. Nor is this a Quiet controversy thread. The camerawork and posing is on Kojima's out-of-control sex drive, not Joosten.

Now then...

Stefanie Joosten is the Dutch model who played the role of Quiet in MGSV. To my knowledge, that's the extent of her work in videogames, but when you look at everything she did in MGSV, she seems like someone who could get a lot more mileage in games.

Quiet's appearance is based on her, but her contribution goes beyond that. She did both the English and Japanese VA (and perhaps more, but I'll avoid spoilers). She also did the full-body motion capture, so she's used to playing make-believe in a big white room with dots all over her body. And did the facial capture, so she knows how to act with her face. She even sang one of the game's theme songs.

In other words, she did everything you could ask of an actor in videogames, on her first try, all in one game. The fact she's fluent in Japanese and lives in Japan makes her uniquely positioned for Japanese games, as well.

It's just an unusual amount of qualifications all in one person who, for all we know, may never appear in games again. But she seems perfect for something like, say, Resident Evil, another Japanese-made game that happens to star good-looking people and makes extensive use of bilingual voice acting and body/facial cap.

What do you think? See any potential for her in future games, or is this a one-and-done deal?

I think she has potential but it is difficult to gauge how much from a character with so little character. I'd be interested to see what she may play in gaming in the future.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'd prefer it to be a one and done thing. I like Quiet, but I don't need Joosten's face plastered over every female character out there like Troy Baker's has been this past year or three. (Ocelot NEVER looked like Troy Baker before and suddenly he does and has a lobotomy. I want campy "I want the Big B-D's" Ocelot back :| . Nothing against Baker, just saying.)

Blablurn

I think it was okay to have her only in MGSV.

Sure she could play a role in probably every major video game but why cause saturation?

Assuming devs aren't afraid of using her cause of whatever Quiet controversy, sure. She seems to have a lot of potential that can be applied to games.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Really hard to say I would want to see more of her work in more games because all I have seen is some humming and showers being taken.

I haven't been impressed with whatever I've seen of her so far. She was pretty terrible in MGS V. It could have simply been Kojima's juvenile direction of female characters though.

She's an awful singer and the lines she delivered were just as bad. Kojima obviously has a thing for otherwise she would've never had such a big role in a triple A game.

Anung

Un Rama
I'm not so sure. I'd like to see her given another chance but I've not exactly seen enough of her acting chops to know if she's any good at acting as she is borderline mute in MGSV and her psychical performance wasn't exactly nuanced.

Didn't find her voice, mo-cap or acting to be particularly amazing.

Ashley Johnson (Ellie from TLoU) should get more work...

Let's be honest, she plays a character that doesn't talk, with like five very goofy scenes where she moves like she works in a strip club. The two badass scenes her character is in are because of what happens, not really how she acts.

I'm not saying she's a bad actress, nor she doesn't deserve to be in more videogames, but from my point of view, any good looking actress / model could have been Quiet (besides the singing part but would it be any different if someone else was singing ?). It's very very difficult to judge her on that particular performance I think.

Its hard for me to separate my complete apathy/disinterest/embarrassment towards everything about the character of Quiet from Joosten's performance. Even then, I don't remember ever thinking, "WOW, she should definitely be in more games!" She doesn't say anything, or do any particular interesting acting sequences...she's just a pretty model.

RedAssedApe

Banned
don't think you can really judge her acting performance as she really didn't have much to work with. obnoxious character design. i wonder if they did mocap for the weird showering and posing quiet did on the game o_O

her voice acting wasn't bad for the few lines she had. i liked her singing but i obviously am not fit to judge that kind of thing.

she's probably not quitting her modeling jobs though.

Nzyme32

I didn't think her acting or mocap was anything particularly notable. So I don't really have any feelings one way or the other. She certainly wasn't as spectacular as some make her out to be

Corpekata

Banned
It's hard to not consider this a Waifu type thread given her body of work hasn't exactly been extensive or impressive.

Don't get me wrong, she seems okay, but nothing about what she's done has screamed "I need more of this actress!"

HardRojo

I'm at 31% of completion only and so far I don't think Quiet is a good character to use as a measure of someone's performance. Unless more stuff happens later and I change my opinion. Also, I didn't know she actually lived in Japan, I guess that explains her fluency in the language in that (those?) Kojima Productions infiltration video.

Based purely on what I saw and heard in MGS V, there wasn't anything that grab me as exceptional other than the ridiculous situations Kojima put her in. She had very very few lines and I didn't find those lines to be delivered particularly well. Sure she could be a great actress for other roles but nothing in MGS V convinced me of that.

Betty

Banned
I haven't been impressed with whatever I've seen of her so far. She was pretty terrible in MGS V. It could have simply been Kojima's juvenile direction of female characters though.

What the hell? She was amazing in MGSV, everything from singing her own theme song to the subtle acting later on in her storyline.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
DISCLAIMER: Yeah, she's pretty, but this is not a waifu thread.

You sure? :p

She hasn't really had a whole lot of actual VA work, and while her mocap and such is good, I dunno if that really qualifies.

She was fine in MGSV, but I don't know how much of that was 'her' acting, per se, given how limited Quiet's character is.

I didn't mind Quiet's progression with what actually was there (outside of the outfit) though, and some of that boils down to what she brought to the table so....wouldn't mind her showing up again, I guess?

Neiteio

Its hard for me to separate my complete apathy/disinterest/embarrassment towards everything about the character of Quiet from Joosten's performance. Even then, I don't remember ever thinking, "WOW, she should definitely be in more games!" She doesn't say anything, or do any particular interesting acting sequences...she's just a pretty model.
You hit on a good point with difficulty separating her from the Quiet association. People might see the familiar face and be unable to divorce themselves from her previous depiction in MGSV. There's also the possibility she'd be typecast into similar roles, i.e. more rain-boob scenes. (Now imagine if that became a genre!)

It's hard to not consider this a Waifu type thread given her body of work hasn't exactly been extensive or impressive.

Don't get me wrong, she seems okay, but nothing about what she's done has screamed "I need more of this actress!"
Not a "need." I just see some potential. I'm impressed by the variety of stuff she did for her role. People can disagree whether it was quality work, but seeing a newcomer to the industry do it all in her debut appearance seems unique. She's one of the few actors who could handle a role in both English and Japanese, as well.

So I think there's potential.

I'm not going to speak about her character as Quiet, but from the interviews that I've seen she seems like a cool person with a friendly personality so I think she should get more work. With many jobs it's not about being the best, but being someone people want to work with.

Garlador

I think she's nice enough.

Without going into the whole Quiet thing, I would like to see her in a role that puts more clothes on her. Then we'll see how she does.

I wouldn't doubt she shows up in at least another couple of games. Her name is out there now thanks to MGSV, she speaks English and Japanese so potential for doing both voice tracks is there, and she seems to genuinely love video games.

I don't know how anyone could judge her performance abilities from MGS5. She was basically a blank canvas of a character with big tits.

Not doubting her ability but that role wasn't one where any talent could come out.

Based on what? I read the OP and I still dont understand what she is exceptional at and should be getting more work for. She has more or less no dialogues to say so you cant really tell if you can voice act worth a damn or not.

So basically all she is good at is looking pretty and doing the right poses for motion capture? Neither of those two require any talent. There are like a million other girls who could do the same.

Sounds like you are just smitten.

Neiteio

She helped me overcome my racism

72b3889e29bdf15428abe71d79f4de5f3b59a3908f4bf4802db220a8ea8a55a7.jpg

mattp

I'd prefer it to be a one and done thing. I like Quiet, but I don't need Joosten's face plastered over every female character out there like Troy Baker's has been this past year or three. (Ocelot NEVER looked like Troy Baker before and suddenly he does and has a lobotomy. I want campy "I want the Big B-D's" Ocelot back :| . Nothing against Baker, just saying.)

no, you're right
baker was horrible as ocelot.(or the direction for him sucked. kind of doesnt matter). worst character in the game
he had ZERO personality
let alone a personality that even remotely resembles ocelot in previous games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom