• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please help me justify keeping my Xbox One

Tabris

I was a huge fan of 360 last generation, mainly due to games like Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Fable, Halo, Gears of War, and the best multi-platform options. So I bought an Xbox One at launch due to the success of 360 and potential of Microsoft Game Studios.

I have only played 1 game so far, Madden 15, just because it was supposed to be the best version due to the analog feedback. It was a bit of an impulse buy cause I wanted something to play on my Xbox. I'm not usually a big sports game fan either.

Here are the pros and cons I see so far:

+ Backwards compatibility coming soon, so hopefully if it doesn't become like the OG > 360 BC which got abandoned pretty quick, I can unplug my 360.
+ Exclusives like Scalebound look amazing, and others like Recore and Quantum Break look promising.
+ I can save 1 HDMI slot on my receiver by using the XB1 as a bypass for my cable box.
+ The controller is fantastic, especially for specific genres.
+ The media integration is done quite well. It's the best media player device out of the 3 consoles.
+ If I ever go from Mac back to Windows, I know I'll appreciate the integration between Win 10 and XB1.

- This is my number 1 con - The OS is really slow to use - it just doesn't feel snappy and isn't the best user experience. I would love feedback that the NXE will fix this.
- I don't like how they changed achievements from 360 to XB1. The list is full of apps instead of just games, and the UI to view them isn't clean like the 360 list or trophy list. I am not a gamerscore kind of person, but I was an achievement person. I liked having a clean list so much that I had deleted my old gamertag to re-do my achievement list halfway in the 360 life.
- This is my number 2 con - They don't have any exclusive RPGs anymore. Fable has gone down the wrong path, Bioware is multi-platform, and Mistwalker went to handhelds & mobile.
- Multiplatform games are usually a better choice on PS4 (out of consoles, not talking about PC), unlike last generation.
- I have lost my Halo hype. I'm not sure why, just the MCC launch going poorly so I didn't pick it up and because I didn't finish Halo 4 I couldn't get into being hyped for 5.

What other pros would add that may help me justify keeping it instead of selling it before the upcoming price drop?

Please keep this thread positive! Let's talk about the best things about the XB1 now and future.

Em if you don't like at least couple of their exclusives then I don't see the point keeping it. Try some of their best games like Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2/Motorsports 6 and Halo MCC/5.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Em if you don't like at least couple of their exclusives then I don't see the point keeping it.

Yup.

Also, if you are not hard up on cash, there should be no harm in just putting it aside for awhile until the games you are interested in actually come out.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You should also consider the weight of the upcoming 3rd party. If you're a big JRPG fan (or Japanese games in general), then the Xbox One isn't the console for you. The only upcoming JRPGs I'm seeing for the Xbox One are FFXV and KH3.

nubbe

Xbox Fitness

IW4mG6v.gif

First party content from both Sony and MS is weak

Pit

Stop these threads pls. People need to stops asking others to justify their purchases. I'm sure you had your reasons for buying, if you regret it sell it. But we're all gamers here and you'll only get a) keep it, or b) sell it. And from your post it looks like you've summarized a lot of the reasons for and against. Just decide.

Sunset Overdrive, Forza series, GoW4, Quantum Break, Scalebound, Cuphead, Ori, Halo 5, Crackdown 3, Tomb Raider are all interesting looking/good-to-great games.

Essentially if you don't like the exclusives maybe it's not for you. Multiplats will be better on PS4( and even better on PC). You kinda have to find the value yourself really. There are a lot of great games out already, and more on the way.

If you get Ea access you get a ton of games with it, and you get a discount on all Ea stuff.

Great value if you like the games on offer, and there are some pretty stellar games. I played a ton of Plants Vs. Zombies Garden Warfare which I probably wouldn't have played otherwise had it not been on EA Access.

Tabris

Just get rid of it if you want and buy one later if you want it again

Well I'm trying to justify to keep it because selling and re-buying consoles is such a waste of money. So if I think I'll re-buy it again anytime soon, I don't want to sell it and just sit on it until it's ready for me.

Surprised you haven't played Sunset Overdrive yet.

So what's the deal with Sunset Overdrive? What makes it amazing?

Ooccoo

RARE Replay is insane value
Dead Rising 3 is fun
Halo 5 (if you are into FPS)
The RARE pirate game

Honestly the only reason to buy a console is for exclusives (or if you can't afford a gaming PC)

I thought the newest (or a future) update was supposed to make the OS faster.

So what's the deal with Sunset Overdrive? What makes it amazing?

I don't normally finish video games (too old) but I finished Sunset. I think it's a very good and fun game.

Isn't Halo 5 just around the corner? I mean surely as an Xbox fan it doesn't get any bigger than Halo? 4 might burn some people but you never know if 5 would bring it all back.

Are you desperate for the cash that would come from selling or for the space that the console would free up?

If not then I would keep it. Like you say there are games coming that you like the look of, if you sell it now and Scalebound comes along and blows everyone away you are likely to pick the console back up anyway.

As for the dash it is getting better in the NXE preview. The latest build is definitely snappier. I'd be lying if I said it was perfect, there are still pauses when loading some apps and features still don't work as well as they should.

Why can't you justify yourself?

Why do you want people to convince you? I'm sorry but if you want people to convince you to keep a console then sell it.

Tabris

I thought the newest (or a future) update was supposed to make the OS faster.

This is what I would love feedback on.

Are you desperate for the cash that would come from selling or for the space that the console would free up?

Not about the money, it's more about value really. If I can't justify having it, I could reduce the loss of my investment by selling it before price drop that's most likely upcoming. It's also a bit about the space in my entertainment centre (I could hook my SNES and Wii back up in my stand with where the XB1 is)

Lego Boss

At the moment BONE is the best place for FP exclusives. Halo, Gears, Sunset Forza Horizon/Motorsport and Tomb Raider. Not to mention Crackdown, Scale bound etc.

But l suppose if you're having to ask . . .

VeeP

I was a huge fan of 360 last generation, mainly due to games like Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, Fable, Halo, Gears of War, and the best multi-platform options. So I bought an Xbox One at launch due to the success of 360 and potential of Microsoft Game Studios.

I have only played 1 game so far, Madden 15, just because it was supposed to be the best version due to the analog feedback. It was a bit of an impulse buy cause I wanted something to play on my Xbox. I'm not usually a big sports game fan either.

Here are the pros and cons I see so far:

What other pros would add that may help me justify keeping it instead of selling it before the upcoming price drop?

Please keep this thread positive! Let's talk about the best things about the XB1 now and future.

Well, first of all, sell Madden 2015 and buy a one month or year long subscription to EA Access on Xbox Live.

And if you haven't played the beta of Halo 5, I say wait for the full game. The game looks pretty amazing. I expect a great campaign and multiplayer suite.

As for the OS, I hate it as well. Hopefully NXE fixes it, currently it seems buggy but I'm looking forward to it.

Another pro, backwards compatibility.

If I were you, I would go out, pre-order Halo 5 and buy Gears of War Collection & EA Access (Titanfall, Battlefield, Preview to Battlefront, Tons of Sports games).

MikeyH

Neo Member
The new dashboard is a real improvement. Loading from a low power state is incredibly fast and loading games is a bit quicker to. The whole thing seems a lot snappier.

Things like the store and friends lists are no longer separate apps so load a hell of a lot faster and are easier to access. They have cleaned up the achievements too, they are presented in a list with 3 columns with each games percentage shown beneath a small icon. It's really clean and easy.

Overall a big improvement over the old dash with supposedly more improvements coming before the general launch in November.

Yeah, there wasn't anything on launch I wanted except for Forza but the micro transaction situation turned me off on buying it.

The microtransaction situation in the Forza games has been beaten to death(thankfully), so if you haven't already, I'd give the series another chance. As others have stated, BC is a good deal, I'd give Halo another look as it seems to be very, very promising.

Tabris

So basically you let everyone talk you out of every game released in the last two years?

No. I don't like games that are tuned for micro transactions, and the only games I have currently have that is tuned for that is MGS5 and Mass Effect 3. Sports games with their Ultimate team mechanics, I've just ignored that game mode.

SenkiDala

RARE Replay is insane value
Dead Rising 3 is fun
Halo 5 (if you are into FPS)
The RARE pirate game

Honestly the only reason to buy a console is for exclusives (or if you can't afford a gaming PC)

Well yes, the point of having a console is for exclusives I agree it's why I always prefered them than PC (until now, but that's a different topic :p) but the list you give is not the best. All the games of RARE Replay can be played with emulators (doesn't count maybe, ok :p), Dead Rising 3 is on PC (at 60fps if that's important for you), he said he is not into Halo anymore, and The rare pirate game (Sea of Thieves) is coming on Windows 10 too (so PC).

And if you can afford every games on consoles at 60/70€ when you're European, you can afford a PC since you'll pay the games half less than the consoles versions :/. Saving 20/30€ per day one game will soon make enough cash to afford a PC. But there's also people who prefer consoles for friendlist, or other reasons. :)

Personally I'd say to OP that if he isn't attracted to Xbox One games, UI, etc etc... then he can sell it and rebuy it when it will get super cheap (and it will) and then grab all the games he missed (ReCore, Scalebound, etc) for 10$ each.

Spman2099

So... what would you even get for a used Xbox One? Like, two hundred bucks? The question is, will the next three years bring enough games to justify not pocketing that two hundred dollars... I imagine the answer is yes.

I don't own an Xbox One, I may not own one for another two years or so. However, if you already own one there is certainly no harm in keeping it. Even the original Xbox which, in my opinion, had an awful library of games had enough gems by the end of it's lifetime to justify its existence.

Unless you need the money, just hold onto it.

If you need people on the Internet to justify it to you why it's worth keeping then I think you've already made your decision.

If you aren't intrigued by what is currently out there I'll just throw out though that Halo5 is looking GOAT tier (the hype will get to you) and next year looks like it might be the best year ever for exclusives with Quantem Break, Sea OF thieves, recore, crackdown 3, halo wars 2, scalebound, and Gears of War 44.

Also your number 1 con will be fixed in a few weeks

Jtrizzy

If it's not about money just keep it. You'll be kicking yourself if you end up buying another, which sounds pretty likely considering it was an impulse buy in the first place.

Lusankya

Yeah, the exclusive situation is somewhat dire. I don't know why they basically refuse to have any exclusive RPG on their system.
If you don't like racing or dudebro games the XB1 doesn't really offer anything special in terms of exclusives.

ryan299

Your Ui and achievement concerns are fixed in the new UI. It's much faster and cleaner, as you can access the most important stuff easily. Cool new feature is highlighting a friend in the friends list and clicking X to invite them to the party. It doesn't take long (like the old Ui) to go into their profile and invite them, but it's a neat shortcut.

While the new achievements isn't that "pretty", it's faster and has more functionality. It's no longer an app, so it loads instantly and they've integrated leaderboards with your friends into the experience. I would say it's cleaner than the old one.

Top Bottom