• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS V now requires internet connection to run on PC?

Santar

EDIT
Apparently it's the game's DRM/Copy Protection Denuvo, that requires a online authentication after every update.
Still really annoying, but at least it wasn't as bad as previously thought.
--------------------------
Original post follows:
So after the whole online tax debacle I blocked MGS V in my firewall just to make sure the game was offline at all times, the game worked just fine and I was content (as content as one could be when Konami keeps trying to harm their own game)
That is until today.

QXymawX.jpg

Look at the message that popped up when I try to run the game now.
This is just insane, they actually seem to have patched the game to require access to the server in order to just run.
Has anyody else experienced this?

Axial

Strange, I'm actually playing it right now on PC, even though the servers are down for maintenance.

poodpick

Had that pop-up when I blocked the executable in my firewall. Pressing next gives you some code to input into a support ticket on Konami's website then the pop-up goes away forever.

Vuze

It always has. Denuvo DRM requires you to connect and verify once with their servers if the executable gets updated.

Maximo

Fucked. I bought the game but perhaps I should have just pirated it.

Yeeeah no..I often download a Torrented copy after I buy the game depending on how bad the DRM is used to do it for Windows Live games couldn't stand that shit, but outright saying *Fuck this should have pirated it* is pretty bad.

I'm beginning to become convinced that MGSV is some sort of botched commentary on the state of modern gaming and our expectations of developers as gamers. There is no way that a games company could be this fucking tone deaf unless it was on purpose. There's your 'taboo that Kojima might be forced out of the industry over'. A game that constantly gets worse instead of better over time

Santar

I have when launching the game offline straight after an update. Seems like it needs to connect at least once after an update before you can play offline.

Ahh I see, i was starting to think it had something to do with the copy protection.
Still sucks to have to authenticate after every update, but at least it wasn't as bad as I feared.

Xbudz

Yeeeah no..I often download a Torrented copy after I buy the game depending on how bad the DRM is used to do it for Windows Live games couldn't stand that shit, but outright saying *Fuck this should have pirated it* is pretty bad.

You're right.
It was strictly an emotional reaction to the fucked up way Konami is handling this game.

I'd consider getting a torrented copy now just to avoid this bullshit.

PMS341

Haven't even played the game, and my enthusiasm towards it has just cratered. Something new every week.

Something tells me Konami (semi) wants this reaction, despite wanting the extra funds from DLC/insurance/etc. I've rarely seen any companies actively make a game worse patch by patch; it almost feels like defamation at this point.

Klossen

Banned
It always has. Denuvo DRM requires you to connect and verify once with their servers if the executable gets updated.
Funny how people were defending Denuvo as a non-intrusive DRM a while back. Seems like pirates got the better end of the deal again. They can play in offline mode without worrying about DRM verifications.

Funny how people were defending Denuvo as a non-intrusive DRM a while back. Seems like pirates got the better end of the deal again. They can play in offline mode without worrying about DRM verifications.

DRM verifications that stem directly from having been online long enough to update your game to begin with.

Vuze

I guess that OP noticed this only now proves their point :p

Not trying to defend dual DRM but I'll gladly trade manually searching updates and installing them for being only once per update heh.

Klossen

Banned
Couldn't happen to a more deserving company.

This thread should probably be closed though.
I disagree. This thread highlights MGSV not being available for offline play all the time. OP wasn't wrong.

I guess that OP noticed this only now proves their point :p

Not trying to defend dual DRM but I'll gladly trade manually searching updates and installing them for being only once per update heh.
I don't know. There really is no point for this to be dual-DRM since Steam already does auto-patching and pirates can download this anyways. Denuvo exists in MGSV solely to hamper the player experience. If my connection was unreliable, I'd prefer the torrented version. Theoretically, that is.

Soulflarz

Banned
You're right.
It was strictly an emotional reaction to the fucked up way Konami is handling this game.

I'd consider getting a torrented copy now just to avoid this bullshit.

Why do you keep shooting yourself in the foot. People keep warning you because you aren't really supposed to admit to piracy here (it's not like Konami has people who read GAF or even post here, that would be silly!)

KHlover

Banned
Game doesn't work in Steam Offline mode for me. When I try to start it from there a popup telling me to start the game at least once online before being able to play it offline appears. With 70h on the clock. Even when I boot the game online first, then quit and change to steam offline mode without closing steam (I tried). Only way for me seems to be to start the game while my laptop is still online and then just never close the game. Yeaaaaah....

Fuck Konami.

CHC

I just uninstalled the other day anyway. The game was an immense disappointment, the online is shaping up to be a mess, and I really don't want to have anything to with it anymore.

Konami can do whatever they please at this point, the damage is done.

epmode

Game doesn't work in Steam Offline mode for me. When I try to start it from there a popup telling me to start the game at least once online before being able to play it offline appears. With 70h on the clock. Even when I boot the game online first, then quit and change to steam offline mode without closing steam (I tried). Only way for me seems to be to start the game while my laptop is still online and then just never close the game. Yeaaaaah....

Fuck Konami.

Denuvo DRM requires a player to connect online whenever the executable is updated + MGS5 was just updated on Steam + MGS5 servers are fucky right now

I agree that Denuvo is a pile of crap BTW. People that laugh at DRM complaints with "EVERYONE"S ONLINE ALL THE TIME" make me nuts. I'm not worried about MY internet connection. The authentication servers are the real problem.

Top Bottom