• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Top Of Being Always Online, Payday 3 Will Use Denuvo DRM On PC

The Payday 3 Steam page has been updated to show that the upcoming FPS game from Deep Silver and Starbreeze will incorporate Denuvo Anti-Tamper. It comes after one Payday 3 developer confirmed that the shooter will require players to constantly be connected to the internet, even when playing alone. With the Payday 3 release date shortly set to arrive, the game is expected to launch using Unreal Engine 4, before switching to UE5 at a later date.
As of the time of writing, Wednesday, August 2, the Payday 3 Steam page contains a notification saying that the game will use “3rd-party DRM (Denuvo Anti-Tamper).” Denuvo is designed to stop cheating and hacking, and prevent access from a game’s source code and files, in order to limit piracy. Other, recent games that use Denuvo include fighting game Street Fighter 6, Star Wars Jedi Survivor, and the remake of Resident Evil 4.

Payday 3 Denuvo: A shot from the Payday 3 Steam page showing that the FPS game uses Denuvo

Previously, Payday 3 producer Almir Listo confirmed that the shooter will require a constant internet connection, even when playing alone. Responding to comments during a livestream, the developer said that “you will be able to play it [Payday 3] by yourself, but I do believe you will have to have a connection in order to play, because it’s made in the Unreal Engine. It’s using cross progression, cross play, I believe we need you to be online.”
Starbreeze has previously said that Payday 3 will launch using Unreal Engine 4 and then upgrade to UE5 after release. The game will also include microtransactions, but these will be limited to cosmetics.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The point is why add Denovo DRM when it's already an always online MP/Co-op and all the verifications are done server-side anyway?
Yea the Denovo thing is dumb. But complaining about it being always online is both dumb and ignorant to the type of game it is. It’s like someone complaining that they need an internet connection to play Warzone or Fortnite BR.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
only PCMR deserve this PC exclusive feature!

Last edited:

calistan

I really don't understand why an online-only game requires DRM! What would be the point of someone pirating this if it requires you to be online, where you would almost certainly be detecting and banned for not running a legal copy of the game?

Very strange.
The quote at the top says "Denuvo is designed to stop cheating and hacking, and prevent access from a game’s source code and files" so I guess it's partly to stop cheaters and mods.

The quote at the top says "Denuvo is designed to stop cheating and hacking, and prevent access from a game’s source code and files" so I guess it's partly to stop cheaters and mods.
And given what I've seen (and done :messenger_smirking:) in PD2, this will probably be needed.

Yea the Denovo thing is dumb. But complaining about it being always online is both dumb and ignorant to the type of game it is. It’s like someone complaining that they need an internet connection to play Warzone or Fortnite BR.
Hey now dude..don't be so ignorant. Where is my NeoGaf offline mode ?! /s

Top Bottom