• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 3 Dev's CEO Apologizes For Online Shooter's Unstable Launch

havoc00

Sjögren posted on Twitter/X: "We are so sorry that the infrastructure didn't hold up as expected, and although it's impossible to prepare for every scenario--we should be able to do better." According to the official Payday 3 account on Twitter/X, the online shooter saw "slow matchmaking" throughout launch day and even became unavailable at a certain point.

However, earlier today, Starbreeze said, "[W]e're now confident in saying we're on our way back to full force." The co-op shooter sees players working together to pull off heists in New York City this time. Payday 3 released on PC, PS5, and Xbox Series X|S; it also was a day-one launch on Xbox Game Pass. Earlier this week, the developer dropped anti-piracy Denuvo DRM for the game just days before release.

Last edited:

Perrott

Gold Member
I can't believe that the game has no real offline mode.

Even while playing solo in an empty invite-only session, you're still connected to their servers as if it was a COD match, meaning that you can suffer from LAG in a fucking stealth game.

And that's not to mention the shader compilation stutter, again courtesy of Unreal Engine, or the overall lack of optimization, as I sometime get framedrops with both the CPU and GPU operating at only ~50%, wtf?

Also, this trend of having false "fullscreen" options in the graphics configuration menu has to stop. Gimme a REAL fullscreen so I can do supersampling from 4K. Starfield and Motorfest suffer from the same issue.

Other than that, I think the game is pretty good.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Dj Khaled Mtv Emas GIF by 2020 MTV EMA

nemiroff

Gold Member
I have to admit that forcing people to sit in 20 minute long matchmaking queues to play solo is pretty funny stuff.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Even a blind man could see this coming. I put 1000 hours into payday 2 Crime wave edition and a lot Into the ps3 game but one thing for sure use these Devs have always struggled to get on top of things.

I had 2 option's, buy day 1 full price and experience frustration or wait until next summer get the ultimate edition for a nice discount and enjoy a fixed game. Nothing worse then an online game that doesn't work.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
When it works it's a lot of fun, but PD2 is by far the superior game still
  • Sure online only, but if you want to play solo make it peer to peer, heck warframe is online only but still has peer to peer connections instead of just servers
  • So solo game means setting it to invite only, but now you still have to "matchmake", incredibly stupid, at the very least it should just start a new sessions right away
  • There's no pausing the game if you are solo
  • Because of this matchmaking server behaviour, you can freaking disconnect with a matchmaking error when playing alone, this is the craziest one because you can be deep into the setup and then your progress is just gone
  • There are no lobbies, so you can't at a glance see if a heist is or stealth
  • There's no text chat in the lobbies so you can't even ask if it's loud or stealth

elmos-acc

"Why do you guys have a problem with the game being always online? My console is always connected, you should get a better internet connection, I really just can not comprehend anyone caring enough to complain about this issue."

It was a dealbreaker 10 years ago, and still is and will be 10 years from now. Case in point.

Phase

When it works it's a lot of fun, but PD2 is by far the superior game still
  • Sure online only, but if you want to play solo make it peer to peer, heck warframe is online only but still has peer to peer connections instead of just servers
  • So solo game means setting it to invite only, but now you still have to "matchmake", incredibly stupid, at the very least it should just start a new sessions right away
  • There's no pausing the game if you are solo
  • Because of this matchmaking server behaviour, you can freaking disconnect with a matchmaking error when playing alone, this is the craziest one because you can be deep into the setup and then your progress is just gone
  • There are no lobbies, so you can't at a glance see if a heist is or stealth
  • There's no text chat in the lobbies so you can't even ask if it's loud or stealth
How is it these companies still fuck up basic features? For example, Bungie practically perfected community features and options in Halo ages ago. Is it really that hard to make sure you have systems that give the necessary information and that facilitate your community growing? I honestly think many current studios whiff on these things because they simply aren't gamers, so things we gamers would automatically consider aren't implemented because those things don't even come up in their minds to begin with.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
My experience.
Downloaded the game.
Scrolled past the legal shit.
Noped out of the sleazy marketing shit.
Noped out the next screen of sleazy marketing shit.
Got to a login screen that demanded my email address for unwanted, sleazy marketing shit.
Quit.
Deleted.
These morons need to understand that when they put their game on GP most people won’t tolerate their sleazy bullshit

Sojiro

I can't believe that the game has no real offline mode.

Even while playing solo in an empty invite-only session, you're still connected to their servers as if it was a COD match, meaning that you can suffer from LAG in a fucking stealth game.

And that's not to mention the shader compilation stutter, again courtesy of Unreal Engine, or the overall lack of optimization, as I sometime get framedrops with both the CPU and GPU operating at only ~50%, wtf?

Also, this trend of having false "fullscreen" options in the graphics configuration menu has to stop. Gimme a REAL fullscreen so I can do supersampling from 4K. Starfield and Motorfest suffer from the same issue.

Other than that, I think the game is pretty good.
Oh damn, the bolded is fucking atrocious.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Got to play a bit again, managed to finish the first heist full stealth solo, but then the game said I gained XP for my guns and skills, checked my gear and there was no XP.....logged out, logged back in, servers down again; smh.

Got to a login screen that demanded my email address for unwanted, sleazy marketing shit.
Cross play and cross platform progression is sleazy marketing shit? There's no game out there that functions without making an account to support those things.

Top Bottom