• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

U want Surface Book capability but it's too pricey for your budget? Lenovo's got you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You want a large screen 2-1 convertible with a great pen capability AND a discrete GPU? Don't want to pay $1900+ for that? Lenovo has something for you for $1000.

Lenovo just stealth released a Skylake Thinkpad Yoga 14 at Best Buy. This looks like a Best Buy exclusive deal of an exclusive version of the upcoming Thinkpad Yoga 460.

Sure, it's not as sexy as the Surface Book, but it does have some advantages:

1.Pen is the new Wacom Active ES and the laptop has a silo for it. - You get the Wacom's vast 3rd party software support, super low initial activation force and linear and predictable pressure curve. If you need to lap up marketing pressure level BS bullet point, you also get 2048 levels of it. But more importantly, it's needs no battery, even though unlike Wacom's older EMR tech, the pen is powered; it's got a super capacitor in it, like Apple Pencil. Charge it for few second and you get tens of minutes. And unlike the Apple Pencil, you charge inside the pen silo. This new pen is best of all worlds in that it gives you the edge accuracy of the N-Trig pens but with the performance of Wacom pens.

2. It's UPGRADABLE. - You can pop open the bottom casing and get to the SODIMM slot, 2.5" SSD slot and even an half length M.2 slot. In 3 years when battery dies, you should be able to order the part and replace it yourself. This means you can get a 16GB RAM version of the unit for less than $1200 by ordering a 16GB stick from Newegg and install it yourself. Surface Book will cost you $2700 to get a 16GB RAM configuration.

3. Bargain pricing. - The $999 configuration at BB is pretty damn nice: 14" 1920x1080 IPS with 10 point multutouch and Wacom Active ES 2048 lvl pressure pen, Core i5 6200U 2.2Ghz, NVidia 940M with 2GB of VRAM, 8GB LPDDR3 RAM, 256GB SSD, comes with the pen.

I'm headed to Best Buy today as soon as it opens to pick this puppy up. Review incoming in coming days.

EDIT: SINCE SO MANY ARE CONFUSED, THIS IS A CONVERTIBLE, NOT A NORMAL LAPTOP

lenovo-laptop-convertible-thinkpad-yoga-silver-tablet-mode-6.jpg

lenoYOGA14__2__01.jpg

Lenovo's quality is a bit crap to put it lightly. I would never buy anything from them again.

Depends what you buy. Thinkpad Yogas have been bulletproof. Thinkpad Tablet 2 was a disaster. The great thing about this unit is that its basically a SKylake + pen tech update to their super solid Thinkpad Yoga 14, so it's a well know quantity. Well reviewed product line.

RS4-

Thanks Shog, I think I'll have to buy one when I'm down in the US.

If I've got the money to buy it that is.

Gattsu25

Banned
The design of the keyboard and trackpad don't inspire great confidence.

Previous thinkpad users, how are they in real life use?

giga

It doesn't seem like the screen detaches, like the SB. So if you want to use it as a tablet, you'd be carrying the full 3.85lbs?

It doesn't seem like the screen detaches, like the SB. So if you want to use it as a tablet, you'd be carrying the full 3.85lbs?

That's one of the compromises, but frankly, I find the SB clipboard mode kinda meh since you only get 3 hours battery life and no GPU power.

Besides, a 14" tablet in your arms as you draw? Sounds like would super unwieldy to me.

Zabka

I've had a hell of a time dealing with Lenovos crapping out on me lately but this sounds really damn good.

Since the Lenovo spyware stuff got exposed (for the second time!), I've noticed a lot of people recommending them. Even if they could be trusted, apparently their quality has gone down the gutter.

Just use the windows 10 clean install feature

I thought some tech people said it wouldn't work because it's in the BIOS or something.

Gattsu25

Banned
Use the superior nipple! The three hard buttons at the top of the pad are fantastic for tweaking the nipple.

I've tried the nipple and feel that it is a vastly inferior control method to a good trackpad.

If you have a poor trackpad then the nipple comes into its own.

Nipples that, when tapped, register as clicks are the WORST though. I usually pull out those nipples in order to reduce the number of erroneous mouseclicks that move the focus to somewhere else on my screen and fuck up whatever it is I'm typing.

Edit: I typically call them nubs.

Don't trust Lenovo.

Fuck em. Get an old X230 or T440. Don't buy their new shit or trust them as far as you can throw them.

This. You get one for stupidity. Doing it a second time, fuck it, they're gone. Anything by them made after 2014? They're forever off my list.

Exactly. You have to realize that they are just going to keep doing it and just get better at hiding it. Does not explain the defense force though.

If the screen isn't detachable then its just a touch screen laptop, not a tablet/laptop hybrid. Bending the keyboard back is just too bulky.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It's too compromised of a feature for me to care. Most reviews are reporting 2 hours battery life detached. I say why bother.

Still doesn't make it comparable to a Surface Book just because you don't like the feature. I don't want to hold an almost 4lb device for any length of time. 2 hours is enough time to read a magazine or web browsing before bed.

It's too compromised of a feature for me to care. Most reviews are reporting 2 hours battery life detached. I say why bother.

Title is kind of misleading this. Surface Book capability, to me, refers to the detachable screen. This is simply a good valued notebook.

DrPoolips

Neo Member
I have a Thinkpad Yoga 14. I love this damn thing. The build and quality of a Thinkpad with the usability of a Surface. Definitely would recommend.

It was immediately obvious to me that Shog was referring to the pen/style functionality for artists

Yeah you're right, I could see that. The formal comparison of the functionality doesn't take away from the fact that the device in the OP is a great value.

jagowar

It's good enough for what pretty much everybody would use a tablet for.... 2 or 3 hours lounging on the couch or casual browsing. The fact that this can't detach makes it not as good as the surface imo.

Still doesn't make it comparable to a Surface Book just because you don't like the feature. I don't want to hold an almost 4lb device for any length of time. 2 hours is enough time to read a magazine or web browsing before bed.
This a 14" unit. It ain't for reading ebooks in bed. And frankly, neither is the SB. Even at only 1.6 lbs it's too unwieldy for that. I find 1lb tablets too unwieldy for holding in my arms while reading.

You get this 14" convertible for doing work on the desk.

Title is kind of misleading this. Surface Book capability, to me, refers to the detachable screen. This is simply a good valued notebook.

This is a CONVERTIBLE. Screen flips around. You can use it in tablet mode.

It's good enough for what pretty much everybody would use a tablet for.... 2 or 3 hours lounging on the couch or casual browsing. The fact that this can't detach makes it not as good as the surface imo.

You don't buy a $2000 convertible for casual browsing. You can buy a $100 Android for that. Even if I had SB, I would never use it in that scenario when I have a cheaper better suited tablets for that purpose. And if you can afford a SB, you will have light throw around tablet as well.

Aiii

So not worth it
You don't need a touchscreen on a regular laptop. And if you're just gonna buy a regular laptop you can get WAY better specs in that price range.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I'd wager a tiny minority of Surface Book owners are actually going to use the detachable tablet functionality past the honeymoon phase.
Seeing as the battery life is abysmal and it's way too bulky for comfortable tablet use.

Except nobody uses it that way because it's far too heavy for tablet mode.
Tablet mode meaning you use it for doing artwork on a desk. Like a Cintiq. This is a productivity machine, not an iPad competitor. 14" is too unwieldy for arm handling. No one wants to draw while holding with one arm anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom