• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese insider Serkan Toto drops more Nintendo mobile rumors

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
YMMV

screenshot_2015-10-278xs2v.png

Can't see the image, can anyone kindly share the gist?
1) One day to go until Nintendo’s first of two briefings this week. The first app will use existing IP, but don't expect too much from it.
2) Don't get your hopes up too high for Mario. But I heard Nintendo and DeNA are planning to pull out the big guns (bigger IPs) next year.
3) About the membership service, I heard technical challenges made a roll-out earlier in the year impossible (well, this isn't trivial).
4) Another point: according to my sources, Nintendo+DeNA experiment with different business models, so non free-to-play apps are possible.
5) Thank you for reading, and please take all of this with the appropriately sized grain of salt. /end

AKA NO INFO

Chilikar

Can't see the image, can anyone kindly share the gist?

First app uses existing IPs but don't expect too much because bigger IPs will be for next year.

Membership service is having technical challenges so it won't be able to make it for early 2016.

Nintendo and DeNA are experimenting with models that may not be F2P

Take with an appropriate grain of salt

1) One day to go until Nintendo’s first of two briefings this week. The first app will use existing IP, but don't expect too much from it.
2) Don't get your hopes up too high for Mario. But I heard Nintendo and DeNA are planning to pull out the big guns (bigger IPs) next year.
3) About the membership service, I heard technical challenges made a roll-out earlier in the year impossible (well, this isn't trivial).
4) Another point: according to my sources, Nintendo+DeNA experiment with different business models, so non free-to-play apps are possible.
5) Thank you for reading, and please take all of this with the appropriately sized grain of salt. /end

AKA NO INFO

Haha. Thanks, much appreciated.

First app uses existing IPs but don't expect too much because bigger IPs will be for next year.

Membership service is having technical challenges so it won't be able to make it for early 2016.

Nintendo and DeNA are experimenting with models that may not be F2P

Take with an appropriate grain of salt

The membership service is supposed to launch this year.

Ridley327

That might explain why we haven't heard about the new membership thing, at least.

I get the feeling that making it work on the 3DS is the big hurdle right now. There doesn't seem like anything about the way they've handled the back-end on that system that is easy to integrate into anything.

That's not what he says - rather, it's that technical challenges made a rollout earlier this year a no-go. Should still be on for 2015 unless I missed an anouncement otherwise.

That might explain why we haven't heard about the new membership thing, at least.

Reminds me of how they revealed almost nothing about Wii U's OS-level online features between E3 and launch. Hopefully this turns out better, if it's even still launching this year.

Chilikar

The membership service is supposed to launch this year.

Oh is it really? I must've misread it then, cause that's how I interpreted it

EDIT:
That's not what he says - rather, it's that technical challenges made a rollout earlier this year a no-go. Should still be on for 2015 unless I missed an anouncement otherwise.

Ah that makes a lot of sense, thanks for the clarification. What an embarrassing misinterpretation hahah

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
As I said in the other thread, Captain Toad is slow-paced enough to make a great mobile game.

georly

AKA NO INFO

First one not being mario and being existing IP isn't no info. If he's true, it confirms some speculation.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Reminds me of how they revealed almost nothing about Wii U's OS-level online features between E3 and launch. Hopefully this turns out better, if it's even still launching this year.

Since, according to what Serkan says, they didn't roll it out earlier due to problems, it's better for them (and for us) to make it work as flawlessly as possible, isn't it?

I suppose we should really hear about it this week. Please be good.

P.S. I knew you were going to use a pessimistic comparison, though :p

Dr. Buni

I know those IPs are very popular picks for "Nintendo's mobile games", but I hope they don't milk Animal Crossing and Rhythm Heaven with mobile games ;(

kirby_fox

Banned
Does it really matter? They'd find something else to bitch about even if it was Mario.

"It's not Mario Mario!"

"Why isn't this the original NES game?! Why are wasting time on new games when you could remake old titles?"

I await for those questions to arise in their Q&A session.

Roo

Their earnings release is happening later today/tomorrow. Expect news about their mobile games, their account system, and their reward/loyalty program replacing CN.

It's not a surprise that they wouldn't want to put out Mario on mobile straight away. I think they are trying to be very careful about how they present this new venture. How well that will turn out? Who knows.

Aren't those the same? You can apparently log into the new system with your NNID.

You can in the Europe at least. It makes sense to unify the account and reward/loyalty programs around the NNID and that appears to be what they're working toward.

I've been saying for years that Pokemon and Animal Crossing should be the first two Nintendo IPs with mobile titles because of the controls and the immense microtransaction potential. So, yeah, Pokemon is already coming and I expect AC for sure. So much digital furniture to sell.

JoeM86

I've been saying for years that Pokemon and Animal Crossing should be the first two Nintendo IPs with mobile titles because of the controls and the immense microtransaction potential. So, yeah, Pokemon is already coming and I expect AC for sure. So much digital furniture to sell.

The actual mainline games for Pokémon and Animal Crossing, and all Nintendo franchises for that matter will not be on mobile.

Nintendo have said that the mobile games will be ones crafted for the platform. They won't just be games from existing series having their next games on mobile. This is quite evident with Pokémon GO. It takes the concept of the series but twists it in a way that's able to be done only on mobile.

Just porting other existing mechanics for games onto mobile is not how mobile should be tackled.

Roo

Aren't those the same? You can apparently log into the new system with your NNID.

Yeah, the new reward program will work with your NNID instead of a separed account (like Club Nintendo's for example), My post was more about how the program will work/handle regarding rewards and such.

edit: think of an enhanced and glorified Deluxe Digital Promotion system.

JoeM86

I've never said they should be.

It'll be odd when they are the ones that make the most profit, though.

Will they though?

I pointed out in another thread earlier that a Pokémon game would have to earn 2% of the entire smartphone gaming revenue (figure from 2014) to equal the revenue gained for ORAS.

Look at the existing Pokémon iOS game that is worldwide, Pokémon Shuffle. It has only had 4 million downloads on iOS AND Android in its first two months. At that point in its life, the 3DS version was at over 3.5 million and well on its way to 4 million.

Mobile does not guarantee success.

Banned
That's a whole lot of nothing. I wonder if they'll drop bombs next year like Mario, Pokemon or fire emblem on mobile?

Top Bottom