• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Charts: Halo 5 tops chart, outsells Assassin's Creed Syndicate launch by 50%

mocoworm

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ssassins-creed-syndicate-launch-by-50-percent

UK chart top 10

Halo 5: Guardians
Assassin's Creed Syndicate
FIFA 16
WWE 2K15
Minecraft: Story Mode
Grand Theft Auto 5
Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection
Watch Dogs
Lego Dimensions
Lego Jurassic World

Xbox One exclusive Halo 5: Guardians topped the UK all-format charts for its debut week of release.

Impressively, Halo 5 earned 50 per cent more sales than multi-platform launch Assassin's Creed Syndicate did last week.

It's worth noting that Halo 5 launched on a Tuesday, so had three days longer on sale than Syndicate.

UK numbers company Chart-Track, which does not include download sales, did not comment on Halo 5's performance versus other numbered Halo titles, but it's fair to say Halo 5 did not match the sales performance of Halo 4. Although that isn't too surprising - Halo 4 launched in 2012 on Xbox 360, with a far larger and more mature sales base. Xbox One is just two years old.

Halo 5 also earned 50 per cent more launch week sales than last year's Halo: Master Chief Collection.

Syndicate is second this week, ahead of FIFA 16 and new release WWE 2K15.

The retail version of Minecraft: Story Mode launched in sixth place.

Grand Theft Auto 5, Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection, Watch Dogs, Lego Dimensions and Lego Jurassic World rounded out the rest of the top 10.

EGM1966

That's... Actually not that terrific right? Syndicate wasn't too hot for AC game and Halo had more days at sake. I mean it's solid and obviously it's selling more on one platform than many multi-platform titles but that's got to be bit lower than you'd expect. I figure it's more Halo 4 than install base but hard to be sure. Word of mouth seems very good on MP though (anecdotally from what I'm hearing) so legs could be good though if word gets out its better than Halo 4.

Kathian

Banned
We already have a pal thread. Also Brunk you win this argument.

Am playing a thread hope mods don't mind but being worse selling Halo game since the first (not even confirmed) is awful.

Hasney

That's... Actually not that terrific right? Syndicate wasn't too hot for AC game and Halo had more days at sake. I mean it's solid and obviously it's selling more on one platform than many multi-platform titles but that's got to be bit lower than you'd expect. I figure it's more Halo 4 than install base but hard to be sure. Word of mouth seems very good on MP though (anecdotally from what I'm hearing) so legs could be good though if word gets out its better than Halo 4.

It's not great

[Week 11, 2002] HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED (MICROSOFT) – NO DATA
[Week 46, 2004] HALO 2 (MICROSOFT) - 260,000
[Week 39, 2007] HALO 3 (MICROSOFT) - 370,000
[Week 09, 2009] HALO WARS (MICROSOFT) - 65,000
[Week 39, 2009] HALO 3: ODST (MICROSOFT) - 212,000
[Week 37, 2010] HALO: REACH (MICROSOFT) - 390,000
[Week 46, 2011] HALO: COMBAT EVOLVED ANNIVERSARY – 48,000
[Week 45, 2012] HALO 4 (MICROSOFT) - 336,000
[Week 46, 2014] HALO: THE MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION (MICROSOFT) – 96,000
[Week 44, 2015] HALO 5: GUARDIANS (MICROSOFT) - 150,000

For comparison, even in terms of XBox One only sales, Titanfall only sold 25k less much earlier and Destiny XB1 sales were in the same ballpark as Halo 5.

sam777

It was never going to sell as high as 4 purely because of the install base. But it is still under par.

It was never going to sell as high as 4 purely because of the install base. But it is still under par.

Halo 3 actually sold better than Halo 4 did at retail with an install base that should be similar to what the Xbox One has now. Halo 5 did 220k less than Halo 3 at retail.

madmackem

It's super under par, half of a mainline series sales, halo 2 is a good bench mark to judge it against and it sold half almost. That's terrible.

Different install bases, different results. Wouldn't read too much out of it, albeit it doesn't look like it will become the best selling Halo game of all times in the UK...

It will be interesting to see if Halo 5 moved some consoles, though.

Different install bases, different results. Wouldn't read too much out of it, albeit it doesn't look like it will be become the best selling Halo game of all times in the UK...

Halo 3 launched when the 360 had a similar install base and sold 220k more.

Hasney

Maybe that statement make mistake? How reliable is UK chart PR?

It's accurate, but always a positive spin. like the AC numbers probably wouldn't have said outright it was the worst selling in the franchise if they didn't mistakenly say "But Unity had more days of sales due to a Tuesday release!" when it actually came out on a Friday as well.

Chobel

Yes, bundles included.

I mean the sales from this bundle
halo-5-guardians-xbox-one-bundle.png

It launched the week before, so I don't know if will be counted this week.

Urthor

Says more about how Syndicate and Unity before it have shat the bed than anything. If they're losing in sales to a single platform game DESPITE the relatively huge size of the PS4's install base, Ubisoft's franchise is in deep shit. Heck, Ubisoft on the whole is heavily dependent on AC and Far Cry, suddenly instead of two legs to stand on they have one and a half.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Different install bases, different results. Wouldn't read too much out of it, albeit it doesn't look like it will become the best selling Halo game of all times in the UK...

Only reason I got an XB1 was so I could play Halo 5.

Maybe that statement make mistake? How reliable is UK chart PR?

Well, in the Kubler-Ross Grief Cycle (1989), the second stage is one of blind denial.

After the initial shock has worn off, the next stage is usually one of classic denial, where they pretend that the news has not been given. They effectively close their eyes to any evidence and pretend that nothing has happened.
(...)
A classic behavior here is a 'flight into health', where previously-perceived problems are suddenly seen as having miraculously fixed themselves.

http://changingminds.org/disciplines/change_management/kubler_ross/denial_stage.htm

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This isn't possible, Halo is the game equivalent of Star Wars

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Decline in both the Halo and AC franchises. Isnt the install base of X1 vs X1+PS4 in UK like 3:1 or more?

Kusagari

I think the worst thing is the pathetic boost over Master Chief collection.

Barely 50k more with a better install base?

That is not good.

Says more about how Syndicate and Unity before it have shat the bed than anything. If they're losing in sales to a single platform game DESPITE the relatively huge size of the PS4's install base, Ubisoft's franchise is in deep shit. Heck, Ubisoft on the whole is heavily dependent on AC and Far Cry, suddenly instead of two legs to stand on they have one and a half.

And this is what annoys me about certain publishers, if they are releasing an entry in a certain franchise on a yearly basis, don't they ever consider a time when the consumer gets bored?

QaaQer

Possibly. The multiplayer fps competition is fucking stiff this time of year however. I do wonder if Destiny's more player friendly coop grind along with good-enough pvp will make it hard for other games that are just pvp focused to get huge numbers over the long term. Destiny offer many hours of single player, coop, and pvp which makes games like halo and cod kind of outdated.

mcrommert

Banned
With no digital sales numbers are meaningless...especially with a game like this which people keep all gen and preload to play minutes one

Top Bottom