• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops III has a 2.7 gig day 1 patch

My PS4 just started downloading the 1.02 update for Black Ops 3, I've preloaded the game already.

Will update the patch notes.

Edit. Patch note is "Security and stability fixes"

ncslamm

Yeah it went live late last night. I've already got mine downloaded. I got the DD edition for ps4 and it doesn't show the nuk3town or giant map downloaded. Anyone else get this? Maybe it's already included in my DD download.

Tenebrous

2.7GB seems... Reasonable compared to some other games lately. Still sucks for people with a lower cap, but it could be worse.

KingBroly

Banned
Smaller than most at least.

Big Day 1 Patches make me wish anyone could download them early if you were planning to buy a retail copy. I don't get why they don't do that.

*sheds tear for those with slow connections/data caps
giphy.gif

Yeah it went live late last night. I've already got mine downloaded. I got the DD edition for ps4 and it doesn't show the nuk3town or giant map downloaded. Anyone else get this? Maybe it's already included in my DD download.

Same I got no Nuketown or The giant so I'm kinda worried lol

MiguelItUp

It's a shame that this is standard nowadays, I mean, I remember it when the game we'd get day 1 was a solid build! It could always be worse though. I mean, there are flukes and instances where those patches help out quite a bit. Well and it could always be worse when the patch is like 4+GBs lol. I guess 2.7GBs is fair compared to other examples.

Is there a way to grab this if I'm getting the physical disc? Best Buy preorder bonus was too strong. $48 and a $10 reward certificate making it an effective $38 day one.

I don't want to get home from midnight launch and download that patch.

Tak3n

Banned
you know (I will say it) we live in a digital age now, this Gen has all been about connectivity and 24/7 access and day 1 patches...it is not the end of the world, and to be honest (in a nice way) if you live in a area where your internet is really crap that is not the rest of the worlds fault is it? at some point we have to accept that the vast majority of people now have fast* internet and as such games et al should be OK with large patches.

that sounds awfully like a screw you post, but it is not far from it

* fast being subjective of course, here in the UK the Government considers 2MB fast (I do not)

Anarckhy

Neo Member
Same I got no Nuketown or The giant so I'm kinda worried lol

Same for me. I'm in the US too. Everyone keeps saying it's downloaded within the 47 gigs. But if it was downloaded, we would be able to see in the Addons section, no?
Let's hope Sony releases it today or tomorrow, before the game launches!

Wagram

Patches are likely only going to increase in size. It's not the mid 2000s anymore where data is some-what small. Sucks for people with data caps though.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Great. Improve that game so it's nearly bug free when I get it!

Hell even if it isn't downloaded the file size can't be that big. I won't be able to play till around 9am Friday so maybe i'll be good by the time i get home.

Thing is I got the day off so I'll wake up before it unlocks first thing I'm doing is zombies for sure

Falchion

It's preloaded on my One so hopefully it's already grabbed it. I loved being able to be in a Halo 5 Warzone match at 12:02 am on launch day and I'm looking forward to the same thing on Black Ops.

CHC

Should it really be a surprise? Games take time to make, you either settle for a day 1 patch or accept that it would have delayed the game by 2 weeks instead. I'll take the former.

I have no problem with day 1 patches. The dev teams continue to work on the game after it has gone gold and this progress is represented in the form of the day 1 patch. Publishers will not allow a delay.

Soulflarz

Banned
Welp
We hit stockholm syndrome on it when we suddenly view 2.7gb as small instead of "why the hell isn't the launched game on my disk the full thing"

Soulflarz

Banned
Only really an issue if the patch download takes longer than the disc install.
What internet connection are you on? 2.7 gigs takes longer than an install, and I'm on a 100megabit connection. Add in the fact that some people actually get terrible speeds on psn (I've personally never experienced it, but if so many people note it, I'll assume it does exist) and yeah it's not good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Large file size is a bummer. Over a gig and these become a nuisance.

I hate how CoD always has the most vague patch notes possible. At least let us find out what's being improved.

clem84

Gold Member
It's a way for publishers to meet a deadline. "Guys we have an extra month for QA. We can just patch all the last minute stuff in on launch day." It's really sad that this has become the norm for console games. What's on the disc in some cases is almost broken.

ncslamm

Added I used to be all about the PVP but Ghosts and AW ruined that for me .

I didn't like either of them but I still played from time to time. I never got anywhere near the level that I was on COD4 through BO2 but that's everyone. I've been playing Ghosts Infected mode this week while waiting for BO3. I had to give Rocket League a rest and just bought a Cinch controller so I needed an excuse to try it out.

shanafan

It's a way for publishers to meet a deadline. "Guys we have an extra month for QA. We can just patch all the last minute stuff in on launch day." It's really sad that this has become the norm for console games. What's on the disc in some cases is almost broken.

Would delaying the game be better?

If the technology of patching games is possible, then definitely take advantage of it. I am glad companies can fix bugs and glitches in games. Games definitely take more development time now than before, so I am glad companies have the opportunity to deliver to us a consistently better product.

I didn't like either of them but I still played from time to time. I never got anywhere near the level that I was on COD4 through BO2 but that's everyone. I've been playing Ghosts Infected mode this week while waiting for BO3. I had to give Rocket League a rest and just bought a Cinch controller so I needed an excuse to try it out.
Nice I got a grey controller before BO3 comes out because my old one got button issues good to go day one !

Top Bottom