• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

some more proof for PS2 Classics on PS4?

All credits to reddit user: Krvavi_Abadas
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/3t8e76/ps2_classics_are_finally_happening/

So, a bit of backstory. You have may have remembered that a while back, Sony revealed that the Star Wars PS4 bundles would include, alongside Battlefront. 4 classic Star Wars games, 1 SNES {Which we'll get onto later} and, more importantly, 3 PS2 games.
So, they came out today. Albeit exclusive to the bundle. While i don't own the bundle, i was able to find a Twitch streamer {This dude: http://twitch.tv/adrian595juan So go and thank him for this discovery. his PSN ID is the same as his Twitch ID. So you can also check that if you want proof he was actually playing it.} streaming it.
So... What i did learn from him?
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/3t8e76/ps2_classics_are_finally_happening/

^^^^^^^Some more at the link

The streamers PSN profile

Happening??

The big "evidence" if you go to the link is that the game still uses PS2 button icons in the game, meaning that the game is probably an emulated version of the PS2 games, and not a proper remaster. This combined with the fact that super Star wars is on PSN right now but not the 3 PS2 games from the battlefront bundle makes the OP believe that classics are on the way. Not exactly hard proof, but it's certainly something to think about.

send me a ps2 if fake/old but it looks legit.

The 4 classic star wars games are remasters i thought with trophies in it. i don't think that alone is a sign that PS2 BC is coming

Torgo

Proof? It already has happened with the Star Wars releases yesterday, they're just not available to the public yet. 3 PS2 Star Wars games were included via a voucher with the Star Wars Battlefront PS4 bundle that came out on November 17th.

All 3 were downloaded from the PlayStation Store via a single voucher that was included in the bundle (Super Star Wars was also a part of the package, so yes, even a SNES game works on the PS4!)

Gosh I really hope so,
and if so, I hope my God hand ps3 copy works for the ps4.
Would that even be possible or would I have to rebuy?

Hasney

The 4 classic star wars games are remasters i thought with trophies in it. i don't think that alone is a sign that PS2 BC is coming

While I don't know how these games are handled, Sony did have that patent for adding trophies to PS2 and PS1 games, so I don't know if trophies are going to be the deciding factor as to if they're remastered or emulated. It does sound like they have a way to pop trophies from emulated games.

Should be possible, some PC emulators do it too.

Either way, they're not "PS2 Classics" until stated otherwise. They could be using custom emulators that were built for these games specifically and are not all that compatible.

Risgroo

Wait, do they actually run at a higher resolution? I'll definitely pick up Bounty Hunter if they've put some work into it.

Catvoca

Banned
The big "evidence" if you go to the link is that the game still uses PS2 button icons in the game, meaning that the game is probably an emulated version of the PS2 games, and not a proper remaster. This combined with the fact that super Star wars is on PSN right now but not the 3 PS2 games from the battlefront bundle makes the OP believe that classics are on the way. Not exactly hard proof, but it's certainly something to think about.

Torgo

No, they run just as they would on the PS2 (I could use Progressive Scan in at least one of them). I didn't see any trophies pop, but I also didn't play any of them for very long either.

None say "PS2 Classic" etc, but when you boot it up, the PlayStation 2 logo pops-up like it did on the original system. It's definitely using a PS2 wrapper, and performance seemed really good in what I played. 'Select' and 'Start' are mapped to the right and left side of the touchpad as in the past, and the Share button works for both screenshots and video

The big "evidence" if you go to the link is that the game still uses PS2 button icons in the game, meaning that the games is probably an emulated version of the PS2 games, and not a proper remaster. This combined with the fact that super Star wars is on PSN right now but not the 3 PS2 games from the battlefront bundle makes the OP believe that classics are on the way. Not exactly hard proof, but it's certainly something to think about.

Thank you for posting this, because the thread is useless without it.

Lime

I hope to dear god that a return of PS2 titles to the PS4 means the classic Silent Hill games will be there

Auctopus

The big "evidence" if you go to the link is that the game still uses PS2 button icons in the game, meaning that the games is probably an emulated version of the PS2 games, and not a proper remaster. This combined with the fact that super Star wars is on PSN right now but not the 3 PS2 games from the battlefront bundle makes the OP believe that classics are on the way. Not exactly hard proof, but it's certainly something to think about.

This was the big clue.

It's either a sign that PS2 BC is on the horizon or that these were incredibly lazy ports.

Hasney

This was the big clue.

It's either a sign that PS2 BC is on the horizon or that these were incredibly lazy ports.

They're certainly not ports if they left in the progressive scan prompt even. Not even High Voltage are that lazy.

But like I said, could be it's own emulator away from PS2 Classics coming to PS4 unless Sony has something to say at PSX.

I didn't think it was nice to copy and paste the users whole post, I'll just add yours to the op

It just proves that they have a working emulator and that the game is an exact disc iso. The games I assume are wrapped in an emulator similar to the Arcade Archives. Having trophies shows that they are able to watch memory addresses just like the Arcade Archives.

The current PS2 Classics on the PSN store as far as I know are not wrapped in an emulator. The PS3 has the emulator and despite the PS3 having a PS2 emulator, these games are not available on the PS3. It could mean Sony will release future PS2 games in a way like Star Wars. But then it would suck for the current PS2 Classics. Will they have to be re-released (and re-bought?) just to be wrapped in an emulator?

It just proves that they have a working emulator and that the game is an exact disc iso. The games I assume are wrapped in an emulator similar to the Arcade Archives. Having trophies shows that they are able to watch memory addresses just like the Arcade Archives.

The current PS2 Classics on the PSN store as far as I know are not wrapped in an emulator. The PS3 has the emulator and despite the PS3 having a PS2 emulator, these games are not available on the PS3. It could mean Sony will release future PS2 games in a way like Star Wars. But then it would suck for the current PS2 Classics. Will they have to be re-released (and re-bought?) just to be wrapped in an emulator?

An interesting question. Because adding trophies (or other options) would obviously mean having to heavily update the emulator. But having each game wrapped in its own emulator would ensure maximum compatibility, right? Something you changed or adjusted to make Silent Hill 2 run, for example, wouldn't run risk of adversely impacting other game's emulation because it is wrapped in its own version of the emulator. Games could come out faster because less QA would be involved.

Is that correct?

Hasney

An interesting question. Because adding trophies (or other options) would obviously mean having to heavily update the emulator. But having each game wrapped in its own emulator would ensure maximum compatibility, right? Something you changed or adjusted to make Silent Hill 2 run, for example, wouldn't run risk of adversely impacting other game's emulation because it is wrapped in its own version of the emulator. Games could come out faster because less QA would be involved.

Is that correct?

Well the PS3 software emulator was advanced enough to the point of being general purpose. It depends how the write the changes when they see compatibility issues, if it goes for accuracy or a hack job.

Pure speculation, but I assume what will happen is there will be one emulator and then you can apply hacks or fixes to that on a per game basis, lots of emulators already do this. You could even go as far to have several versions in the PS4 firmware and just have something in its code to say "use version x.xx".

Is that correct?

Yeah. The pro of having the emulator bundled with the game would be ensure compatibility with the said game.

The con though would be these games could now be specific to PS4. If PS5 comes, and assuming it is backwards compatible. A PS5 emulating a PS4 game that emulates a PS2 could have problems. Also bloat. Game size is bigger since you are always downloading an emulator.

Blanquito

I'm still not seeing how someone came to the conclusion that these are emulated PS2 games as opposed to doing the bare minimum to get the game running on PS4 without needing to change menus, assets, etc.

That said, I still would like it to happen. Would play KH1+2 all over again.

eFKac

No, they run just as they would on the PS2 (I could use Progressive Scan in at least one of them). I didn't see any trophies pop, but I also didn't play any of them for very long either.

None say "PS2 Classic" etc, but when you boot it up, the PlayStation 2 logo pops-up like it did on the original system. It's definitely using a PS2 wrapper, and performance seemed really good in what I played. 'Select' and 'Start' are mapped to the right and left side of the touchpad as in the past, and the Share button works for both screenshots and video

So those games are running on an emulator, not remasters?

Meh, thought they would've been improved :-/

Danlord

Emulators can actually improve the game. They may not be asset replacing but adding higher resolution, better AA and even injecting some other visual enhancements shouldn't be completely ruled out.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

We have no idea, if these are emulator shots, have far the emulator goes, as it hasn't even been announced in any official capacity yet

Pure speculation, but I assume what will happen is there will be one emulator and then you can apply hacks or fixes to that on a per game basis, lots of emulators already do this. You could even go as far to have several versions in the PS4 firmware and just have something in its code to say "use version x.xx".

Yeah one emulator would be better IMO. I think the only thing holding them back on this idea is they would have to get all the current PS2 classics working, have the same features (trophies, etc.) and the problem with saves (since they are not tied to a PSN account, someone could hex edit a save to get the trophies). There is also a lot of PS2 classics in the Japan store IIRC.

LewieP

Emulators can actually improve the game. They may not be asset replacing but adding higher resolution, better AA and even injecting some other visual enhancements shouldn't be completely ruled out.

The little official information released about these games has referred to unspecified "visual enhancements". My money is on this referring to increased output resolution and nothing else. Just a guess though.

Danlord

The little official information released about these games has referred to unspecified "visual enhancements". My money is on this referring to increased output resolution and nothing else. Just a guess though.

Yeah, at the very minimum I think we should expect the rendering resolution to hit 1080p and have 1:1 scaling applied, to avoid stretching I hope (or at least a toggle). Added AA I don't think would be too reaching to expect but depends how Sony approaches their first iteration for the PS2 Emulator.

LewieP

Oh they are? Well then, I guess we will have to re-buy our PS2 classics.

I would wait to hear official word from Sony about that. It's entirely possible they granted EA permission to include access to these games via a voucher prior to their big unveiling of PS2 Classics (presumably at PSX), and access to previously purchased titles could go live at the same time as the big announcement. Or as you suggested there could be no such accordance made.

We don't know yet.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If they have an option for native 1080p scaling for all games, that'll be the best thing ever...i don't even care about AA options, just give me native 1080p res options.

So many games have the ability to look so clean just from a res boost alone, especially with those old assets

As odd as it seems, the fact these aren't on the PSN Store for regular purchase when Super Star Wars is looks like a good sign.

Good sign?

eFKac

Hmm, ok let's hope it would be that. But I was hoping more for some performance improvements, a lot of PS2 games had terrible framerate and suffered from motion judder.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Here's hoping for full speed emulated Gradius V. PS3 version is riddled with slowdowns that were not there in the original.

Top Bottom