• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Why does everyone hate the prequels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel_DvA

They're not as good as the first trilogy for sure, and the expectations were high at the time, as high as now with The Force awakens, I got it but, I don't understand the hate the prequels still have atm.

Besides Jar Jar Bins, everything else is pretty good, we have Obi wan/ Anakin Origins, the reason why Jedi's got wipe out from the galaxy, How Sidious created the Empire, who was Luke/Leila mother, great villains like Dark Maul etc... it's pretty complete.

I think Clone Wars series and rebels are making the prequels even stronger with more lore and good stories/characters overall.

I agree with the facts that those movies aren't perfect, some stuff are disappointing and could have been better but does it deserve all that hate ? I don't know, I'm just asking to myself what people hate about those movies ? Is it the fact that those movies aren't as simple as the first trilogy ( with Good vs Evil type of thing ) ? Is it about the DA ? The plot ? The Acting ? ( Ani was bad as hell but everyone else were pretty good ) ... I still don't know.

Do you think those movies deserve to be hate and if yes, what do you dislike about them ?

Into

Heh

I wrote in the other Star Wars thread, number 48563, that some revisionist history was going to happen with the prequels and some will even argue they are good

Perhaps i am the Chosen One...the one that will bring balance to the force..

bryehn

Besides Jar Jar Bins, everything else is pretty good, we have Obi wan/ Anakin Origins, the reason why Jedi's got wipe out from the galaxy, How Sidious created the Empire, who was Luke/Leila mother, great villains like Dark Maul etc... it's pretty complete.

What the I can't even.

Kyoufu

Episode 2 is probably the most dull, boring movie I have ever seen in my life. I couldn't believe how boring it was.

Toxi

Banned
Some people don't like them. And that's fine. People shouldn't have to like movies just because they're Star Wars.

I do think the hate is absurd because even if you don't like them, they're just movies, not some life-changing tragedy. The existence of The People vs George Lucas indicates a lot of people need to get over a movie 16 years ago not living up to their expectations.
I think Clone Wars series and rebels are making the prequels even stronger with more lore and good stories/characters overall.
That doesn't make any sense. That Clone Wars does good things with characters from the prequels doesn't improve the actual quality of those characters' depictions in the prequels.

danm999

It's a little bit of everything I think.

The Prequels are confusingly written (extremely Byzantine and not very clever political manoeuvring), for the most part poorly acted, most of the new stuff they introduce to the franchise falls flat and some of it outright worsens stuff in the original trilogy, they're too long and badly paced, most scenes are entirely CG which creates dated and uninteresting aesthetics, they focus on the uninteresting stuff rather than what you'd want out of a Star Wars prequel, etc etc.

Also you're going to get bombarded with those Red Letter media reviews.

Ecotic

My young teenage friends and I walked out of Episode 1 trying to convince ourselves that it was good, we were so desperate to save face. There was a solid two weeks where we were practicing self-blame for not liking the movie, it was that bad.

liquidtmd

Banned
Some people on GAF think Episode 3 is the best one in one of the 16 Star Wars threads currently in rotation, let's ask them

EDIT: LOL beaten by a minute

8133b6f8737a459c88a6eb1657816afa.jpg

Kalentan

That doesn't make any sense. That Clone Wars does good things with characters from the prequels doesn't improve the actual quality of those characters' depictions in the prequels.

It does at the very least, improve the quality of the prequel era.

Vashetti

Banned
I don't hate them.

I enjoy them the same as the OT trilogy.

I grew up with the prequels AND the OT. Feels good to be able to watch all 6 Star Wars films and not be full of hate.

Toxi

Banned
Some people on GAF think Episode 3 is the best one in one of the 16 Star Wars threads currently in rotation, let's ask them
That's not an uncommon opinion. A poll on StarWars.com a couple years ago had Revenge of the Sith as the second-most popular choice for best movie (After Empire Strikes Back). It's also definitely the best of the prequels.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Ruined Vader
Ruined Yoda
Ruined Emperor
Ruined Boba
Ruined C3PO
Ruined R2D2
Ruined the force
Ruined lightsabers

lednerg

The characters have no personality. The plots are convoluted and boring. The action is rarely ever tense - it all feels 'safe'. They're not Star Wars.

MisterHero

why doesn't the ghost of darth vader appear to kylo ren and tell him to leave the galaxy in peace

it's to sell more toys, you see

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Around 90% of the dialogue sounds like it was written by someone who's never had a conversation in their lives exacerbated by the direction the actors were given.. Episode 3 is at least passable but only by a little due to several good scenes in a slog. The prequels also have some of the worst ADR i've ever seen. Both the tv shows were amazing though.

jett

D-Member
I don't know about other people, but I don't care about the origins of Obi-wan, Anakin (not Vader), the Emperor or C3PO for that matter.

These movies are a collection of one bad idea after another. And they're all poorly written, acted and directed. In the case of Episode 1 and 2, they're really boring. Episode 3 is passable, but I haven't seen it from beginning to end in many years to be honest.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
They're not as good as the first trilogy for sure, and the expectations were high at the time, as high as now with The Force awakens, I got it but, I don't understand the hate the prequels still have atm.

It seems to me that the things you like about the universe are basically lore and trivia; your argument for why the films are good is that you learn more about the universe. That's fine, more power to you, but I don't think that engages with the actual complaints people make about the prequels. I think if you read anything negative about the prequels you'll see the answer to your thread title, and why it doesn't have anything to do with what you said.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
These prequels thread intrigue me as it's only applies to star wars prequel and debates if they are good or bad movies. It's not like say....last airbender where everyone and their grandma 100% agrees its a bad movie.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
For more, everything came back to Anakin.

As a little kid, he was annoying, not endearing.
As a teenager, he was whiny and insufferable and his romance with Padme cannot be believed.
As a young adult, he was still pretty whiny, and also an idiot.

You cannot hold a series of movies together with an insufferable protagonist.

All of the other sins are at least fairly forgiveable. It's Anakin that drags everything else down.

His character was so much better written and relatable in the Clone Wars cartoon.

Toxi

Banned
Damn people are crushing them T_T

Am I the only one to love them as much as the original one ?
No. Generally if you ask "am I the only one" on the internet, you are not.

But your thread title was bound to get people to explain why they didn't like the prequels.

midi-chlorians killed the mystique behind the Force

Qui-Gon's character takes the place that Ben Kenobiy should have had when it comes to giving a damn about Anakin.... Obiwan comes off as hating Anakin since day 1 in the Prequals.. which doesn't jive with what he said to Luke

Anakin is too powerful, too gifted, too talented, there is no way to relate to him in Episode 1 because he is perfect without flaws. It is hard to believe when compared to how believable Luke was in his journey from Star Wars, to ESB and to ROTJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom