• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Why does everyone hate the prequels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poorly written
Poorly acted
CG for the sake of CG

YUP.

star-wars-prequels-cg-19.jpg

I will give them credit for one thing.

I never would have thought it possible to have all of those great actors deliver such horrible performances. It's an achievement of sorts.

danm999

I will give them credit for one thing.

I never would have thought it possible to have all of those great actors deliver such horrible performances. It's an achievement of sorts.

The Prequels are like genius at taking a bunch of popular actors and giving them scripts and direction that nullify their talents.

Sedate Samuel Jacksons and Liam Neesons, charmless Ewen McGregor, flat Natalie Portman.

Durden77

Because they're simply not good films?

The only amount of worth they have is for Star Wars fans to see some origin. But it's shown in such an un-exciting way that even that doesn't amount to much.

I've seen episode 2 around 3 times in my life, and I still can't recall hardly anything from it. Episode 1 was slightly more memorable, but only because it was episode 1 and pod racer shit. Episode 3 had it's moments and is easily my favorite of the 3, but is still largley just a blur of shit.

Sapiens

Because JJ didn't direct them and The Force Awakens will be the best thing ever because it will gently take my childhood's virginity instead of violently raping it like George "Never had a good idea and everything great bout star wars came from Irving Kershner" Lucas.

They're bad in almost every facet of good filmmaking. Writing, dialogue, acting, special effects, pacing, cinematography, etc.
The music good. Grievous looks cool. That's about it as far as good stuff goes.

The biggest sin of all is that they're boring to watch. Lots of stuff happens and there are tons of hyperactive colorful moments and somehow it's all very bland and dull. They're all completely drained of excitement and fun or meaning. There's no feelings there.
It all blends into one singular gray...goop.

clav

I love it all but his delivery of "I love Empire so much I fuck it" gets me everytime

I like the end quote: "When you suck out the humanity from the films and replace it with the ease of digital film making, well...... it just sucks."

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing I liked about the prequels was pod racing and the musical scores. The rest I try to forget.

I think the practical effects of the original trilogy went a long way in helping with viewer immersion and it also aged well.

The CG of the prequels looked like shitty CG then and it looks plain awful and out of place now... especially on Blu-ray.

sphagnum

Banned
The prequels are God Lucas' greatest gift to humanity and one day the heathens will burn in the fires of Mustafar, praise be to the midichlorians.

Angel_DvA

So basically because they are :

-Poorly written
-Poorly acted
-Poorly filmed
-Boring
-Ruined Characters
-Too much CGI
- Anakin is a whinny loser...

It seems to me that the things you like about the universe are basically lore and trivia; your argument for why the films are good is that you learn more about the universe. That's fine, more power to you, but I don't think that engages with the actual complaints people make about the prequels. I think if you read anything negative about the prequels you'll see the answer to your thread title, and why it doesn't have anything to do with what you said.

Yup totally, I think the movies are great for what they bring to to the universe, I know some people hate Ani for being too powerful or romantic or whatever but I like the fact that what bring him to the Dark side is what make it turn back to the light side: Love.

I thought people dislike the prequels for what they bring to the universe when it's in fact more how they were filmed with average actors and with a poor script, i'm ok with this even if those flaws don't bother me personally.

Honestly, the plinkett reviews get thrown around to the point of annoyance. Quick cheap shots that have been used a billion times. I think the prequels are weak, disappointing messes, but the plinkett reviews are not law. While they do have many valid points, a lot of the complaints are about stuff that isn't inherently wrong, or is just overblown. Sure the prequels fail miserably at execution, but the overreliance by some people on the reviews gets annoying.

KevinCow

Banned
One thing I find funny is when people complain about the writing and acting of the prequels, but completely give the writing and acting of the OT a pass. I mean, okay, the writing and acting in the OT isn't quite as bad as the prequels, but it's still pretty damn bad. Especially in Episode IV.

It's just bizarre to me how people ridicule the poorly written and delivered lines of the PT, but they happily quote the poorly written and delivered lines of the OT.

Sapiens

Draper

One thing I find funny is when people complain about the writing and acting of the prequels, but completely give the writing and acting of the OT a pass. I mean, okay, the writing and acting in the OT isn't quite as bad as the prequels, but it's still pretty damn bad. Especially in Episode IV.

It's just bizarre to me how people ridicule the poorly written and delivered lines of the PT, but they happily quote the poorly written and delivered lines of the OT.

Too true.

I wonder if he means old Ben Kenobi.

jambo

Anakin: You are so…beautiful.
Padme: It’s only because I’m so in love.
Anakin: No. No, it’s because I’m so in love with you.
Padme: Then love has blinded you?
Anakin: Well…that’s not exactly what I meant.
Padme: But it’s probably true.[/INDENT]

Fucking hell.

I'd forgotten just how bad it was.

Ishida

Banned
Ugh - http://makezine.com/2015/10/07/the-...of-the-star-wars-prequels/#jp-carousel-495526

There's probably more model, miniature, and practical work in Episode 1 than there were in all of the original movies combined.

Don't bother.

Prequel haters are enemies of reasoning like that.

"Only a Master of Evil, Darth!"

Oscar-winning dialogue right there!

opoth

Banned
Average sequels to amazing movies.

It's mostly down to the "Star Wars" generation needing a personal storyline to help bring us toward becoming a little more wise, hardened and cynical. A true loss of innocence. Our parents had 'Nam, we have Jar Jar and midichlorians.

Astral Dog

Yeah but those where classics, standards have changed since the 70s, and SW was the first blockbuster Sci Fi series ever.

Just comparing the OT and the PT and saying both are bad is not enough. we should see with the new movie where the franchise goes.

The main problem with the films is that they are boring. You try to watch them but they have no charm or anything that makes you want to keep watching. It's like they were made as a CGI showreel or something and now they are just a very dated CGI showreel.

Anakin: You are so…beautiful.
Padme: It’s only because I’m so in love.
Anakin: No. No, it’s because I’m so in love with you.
Padme: Then love has blinded you?
Anakin: Well…that’s not exactly what I meant.
Padme: But it’s probably true.[/INDENT]
Padme: We used to come here for school retreat. We would swim to that island every day. I love the water. We used to lie out on the sand and let the sun dry us and try to guess the names of the birds singing.

Anakin: I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is soft and smooth.

Rocco from Mega64 actually raised a pretty interesting point that I'd never really been able to put into words on part of why the prequels' events seemed so uninteresting.

http://roccobotte.com/post/132592465957/im-aging-some-trouble-understanding-your-opinion

Monsters U: Wait, these guys were enemies? We never knew that. They were friends in the original movie. I didn’t expect this! How the hell are these guys gonna become friends? I have no idea how this movie is gonna end up there!

Star Wars prequels: We were told in the old movies that a good man went evil and became Darth Vader. We were told Obi Wan fought him and knocked him into flames to make him that way. After 3 movies, 6 hours, it happens exactly like we were told. No surprise. The end.

RyanW

The general plot for the movies was alright, it was just how they were presented is what gets fans.

This coming from a 19 year old who grew up on the VHS special edition of the OT since the age of 2 and instantly loved the prequels as they came out. The older I got the more flaws I saw in them from story to CG, which in some cases just does not hold up compared to other movies of their time.

dabig2

Rocco from Mega64 actually raised a pretty interesting point that I'd never really been able to put into words on part of why the prequels' events seemed so uninteresting.

http://roccobotte.com/post/132592465957/im-aging-some-trouble-understanding-your-opinion

Adding onto that, they also never gave us a reason to give a shit about any of the characters or the locales before the empire took over. So worldbuilding and making me care about any of these people or places in the prequels was atrocious.

Sotha_Sil

Just watched a YouTube video of all the lightsaber fights on the six movies, and god damn, the prequels can't even win in that category. I much prefer the slower, weightier combat found in the OT than the PT than the dancing and spinning around in the prequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom