• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are the Cleveland Browns the worst franchise in all of sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It used to be a title reserved for the Clippers but they have since turned out a string of respectable seasons despite Chris Paul and Blake Griffin being the most hated men in the NBA. I can't think of a franchise, at least in american sports, who have put together such a consistent run of failure in everything they do. Let's discuss.

ramuh

Their draft picks have been a joke. And they are poorly coached. Piss poor football team.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
If by worst, you mean "most evil" , then no, it's the Loosely Affiliated Blob of States and Cities That Can't Field Their Own Team But Mostly Boston Last Refuge of a Scoundrels.

Derek Anderson: *laughs*

The clown show starts with the ownership. Firing coaches who do a decent job with mediocre talent doesn't do anyone any good, and undermines anyone who tries to implement a new system that guys are slow to buy into. It also undermines team discipline. The Sacramento Kings have the same problem.

The Browns dumped their Head Coach and starting QB a year and two years after their lone winning season (10-6 in 2007) of the last decade, ostensibly because said QB was injured.

Those of you saying the Sixers must be really, really young. They are the worst current team, but that franchise has only known true misery for a chunk of years at a time at best.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Ehhhh. I would think it's a team you hardly ever even think about. Have the Bucks, Timberwolves, Raptors, ever done anything at all? I certainly can't think of anything. Vince Carrer I guess.

They may be the flashiest, most famous bad franchise though.

DiscoJer

Rams? They haven't had a winning season since 2003 and only 4 winning seasons since they've been in St. Louis. And no hope to improve.

Yawnier

Banned
Edmonton Oilers. Four 1st overall draft picks since 2010, and a top 3 pick in 2014 and are still shit.

Maple Leafs, 76ers, Lions, Browns would all be up there though

If you want to talk about failure, it's got to be the Buffalo Bills, right? I mean... 4 straight Super Bowl appearances and they lost all of them. They haven't done anything of relevance for over 20 years now.

linkboy

Derek Anderson: *laughs*

The clown show starts with the ownership. Firing coaches who do a decent job with mediocre talent doesn't do anyone any good, and undermines anyone who tries to implement a new system that guys are slow to buy into. It also undermines team discipline. The Sacramento Kings have the same problem.

The Browns dumped their Head Coach and starting QB a year and two years after their lone winning season (10-6 in 2007) of the last decade, ostensibly because said QB was injured.

Those of you saying the Sixers must be really, really young. They are the worst current team, but that franchise has only known true misery for a chunk of years at a time at best.

Pretty much. Nobody has a chance to actually build anything because the Browns are always hitting the reset button.

It's a wonder they can't figure that out.

It all starts with the ownership, see the mess that the 49ers are currently as a prime example. They're going to be the West Coast version of the Browns if Jed York doesn't pull his head out of his ass and fix the mess that he created.

If you want to talk about failure, it's got to be the Buffalo Bills, right? I mean... 4 straight Super Bowl appearances and they lost all of them. They haven't done anything of relevance for over 20 years now.

That's still 4 more Super Bowls then the Browns (both old and new) have ever gotten to. Hell, the last time Cleveland sniffed a Super Bowl was 1989, where they couldn't beat Denver.

At least they made it...

Cleveland hasn't won dick since the fucking 60s in all sports.

Jesus, even Detroit has the freaking Red Wings.

So Scooter, in terms of worst franchise in NFL.. Detroit still has a lead. But in all sports.. Absolutely.

Currently? No
All Time? Maybe, Lions have a case even though they have the greatest RB in history

I didn't know Jim Brown played for Detroit..

eloestmn

BB_RC.jpg

I dont know, they used to have Belicheat as their coach and even drafted Ray Lewis until they decided to move to Baltimore, change their names to the Ravens, and win 2 Superbowls. So they did alright.

Now this expansion team "we feel sorry for you Cleveland" Browns 2.0, yeah....them nephews are pretty awful.

Cormano

In American sports. A lot of Football teams have been around for close to a 100 years and never won a league.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'm still happy Elway ethered their fucking souls

Sorry Kave

Also as Best-GAF would say "Fuck the Knicks!"

Ban Puncher

I thought everyone in America hated the Patriots because they are cheating scum and the Knicks because they are the Knicks.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
It's a battle between the Lions, Browns, Clippers and Cubs. The Browns have at least made a Super Bowl since the Super Bowl era started. The Detroit Lions have only won one playoff game in the last 50 years and have not reached the Super Bowl (despite having some solid teams).

The Detroit Lions though have been relevant since 2010 in the NFL and the Browns somehow managed to match the Lions in futility from 2000-2008 when Matt Millen was our GM.

The Cubs haven't won anything since what, 1918? They've had recent success though.

Fathead

It's a battle between the Lions, Browns, Clippers and Cubs. The Browns have at least made a Super Bowl since the Super Bowl era started. The Detroit Lions have only won one playoff game in the last 50 years and have not reached the Super Bowl (despite having some solid teams).

The Detroit Lions though have been relevant since 2010 in the NFL and the Browns somehow managed to match the Lions in futility from 2000-2008 when Matt Millen was our GM.

The Cubs haven't won anything since what, 1918? They've had recent success though.

The browns have never been to a super bowl

KingBroly

Banned

Cubs last title was 1908.

The Browns have never made a Super Bowl, nor have they ever hosted one. Since 1999, they've had 42 losses where the lead changes in the final minute, 22 of which happened on the final play.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The browns have never been to a super bowl

You're right, I was thinking of John Elway's "The Drive" and was thinking Super Bowl game for some reason. More salt on the wound, I guess.

Buffalo Bills have it pretty bad going to 4 straight Super Bowl's and not getting a SB out of it.

jwhit28

They haven't had a franchise QB since they came back from the dead as a team. That's a special kind of terrible.

Saganator

While people are throwing out baseball teams, what about the Pirates? They've only been above .500 6 years of my entire 31 years of existence.

Only the Browns can rebuild themselves only to leave and win a super bowl as the Baltimore Ravens. It's such a Browns thing to do, as is getting the pitty expansion Browns who continue their tradition of suckage.

The Browns.... They're just The Browns. It's like they're cursed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom