• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has our society become too politically correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurdel

Banned
No, I don't think so.

I love reading those comments though, about how white people are being censored.

Foffy

Banned
I just wish to take the time to highlight the first "no" response, and maybe people see what I saw..

No, when you think of being politically correct, you think of Fahrenheit 451 where the people don't know about anything in their society. They think everything is nice and dandy while they are in the middle of a war in which 10 million of their people are involved in. People cant think for themselves. I will admit that our government loves to stretch the truth but at least we can think of things for ourselves.

Did this man just realize his argument against political correctness kind of backfires when he is actually citing real problems? People don't know anything, there is a war on blacks, and people cannot think for themselves. This is exactly why people are prone to outrage culture, for something pops their bubble, whether a sincere one or not.

I mean, it stands against the "yes" guys, but unintentionally.

I don't equate a small fraction of people who seem to love being outraged with all of society...so, no. Usually I hear people complain about society being "too PC" when they're not allowed to do/say something blatantly racist/mean-spirited.

Corpekata

Banned
Great article? Huh? Random people saying stuff (some with a whopping 3 upvotes) is a great article?

LOL one of the "debates" on the front page is "Straights will be forced to date homosexuals in the future" and 33 percent of people said yes.

dity

The yes side is filled with people saying minorities are "too sensitive", that people get "butt hurt", and others who are angry they can't make fun of feminists, homosexuals, and/or transgenders without said people getting angry.

Am I supposed to take this seriously?

*edit: I'm taking the "no society has not become too PC, rather people previously without a voice just happen to have enough support to fight back now" stance.

Vodh

There are assholes using pc to look like victims, and in the other side tgere are assholes using pc to shut down any discussions. Asking about the society as a whole is tricky, no answer other than 'yes and no' is going toever fit.

Alienous

It certainly has, with language regularly policed out of context, and the expression of harsh beliefs censored rather than challenged.

No because all I ever hear is people complain about political correctness. Most people want to just live their lives and let others live their lives. If we are perceived as being more sensitive now, it's because most of us are living by the golden rule and can recognize that there are a lot of ways to hurt others outside of physical violence. Language is one of those ways and over time we change the way we speak so we don't hurt others. It's nothing new and it's not a big deal.

ramparter

Banned
Yes. I think we are focusing more on how we express stuff instead of what we mean. Also we tend to not discuss certain situations in fear of insulting others.

No. With the dawn of the internet and social media oppressed people have an easier time actually voicing their displeasure. Privillaged people just get pissed off they can't be openly shitty and will be called out when they ignore facts.

For the most part no, I don't know what is wrong with treating people with mutual respect. To offend someone you tend to have to go out of your way to do it or be ignorant/oblivious. If one is oblivious and confronted/educated about something that may have caused offence that's fine, can't expect everyone to be aware of everything but they should take away something positive from that and avoid repeating it. I'm not educated on everything either, 2 years or so ago I didn't know the offence of using "transgendered", I was educated on it and I don't use it even though my intent originally in the past wasn't harmful, I didn't know the nuance of using that word. I also don't believe free speech should trump hate speech, fortunately in countries I have lived in it doesn't. There are times when perhaps political correctness is used at times to an extreme but these are rarities and exceptions in my opinion. The "culture" of political correctness differs across the world, I just see it as treating people with respect. I think it's good.

Nipo

The yes side is filled with people saying minorities are "too sensitive", that people get "butt hurt", and others who are angry they can't make fun of feminists, homosexuals, and/or transgenders without said people getting angry.

Am I supposed to take this seriously?

You should try to argues against what people in the thread actually say not what imaginary racists say.

I know a person who almost lost their job for sending out a team email that started "hey guys" after a female member complained it made her feel marginalized. He has to write an apology and added some random training.

WedgeX

Banned
I'm going to quote myself and Kareem Abdul Jabbar here.

Me on the neogafs not two months ago said:
I thought Kareem Abdul Jabbar's writing on political correctness while discussing the differences between Trump and Sanders was particularly insightful.

Kareem Adbul Jabbar via the Washington Post said:
Trump’s rationale for avoiding Kelly’s debate question – that neither he nor America has time for “political correctness” – taps into a popular boogeyman. The term “political correctness” is so general that to most people it simply means a discomfort with changing times and attitudes, an attack on the traditions of how we were raised. (It’s an emotional challenge every generation has had to go through.) What it really means is nothing more than sensitizing people to the fact that some old-fashioned words, attitudes and actions may be harmful or insulting to others. Naturally, people are angry about that because it makes them feel stupid or mean when they really aren’t. But when times change, we need to change with them in areas that strengthen our society.

It’s no longer “politically correct” to call African Americans “coloreds.” Or to pat a woman on the butt at work and say, “Nice job, honey.” Or to ask people their religion during a job interview. Or to deny a woman a job because she’s not attractive enough to you. Or to assume a person’s opinion is worth less because she is elderly. Or that physically challenged individuals shouldn’t have easy access to buildings. If you don’t have time for political correctness, you don’t have time to be the caretaker of our rights under the Constitution.

Jonnax

Stewart Lee had a great skit on this. I recommend giving it a listen.
Spotify Link:
https://open.spotify.com/track/37ikXLDlwO6p7sCSc1ROUp

YouTube Link:
https://youtu.be/bmsV1TuESrc

Here's a small quote of it from Wikiquote:

https://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Stewart_Lee
It really worries me that 84% of this audience agrees with that statement, because the kind of people that say "political correctness gone mad" are usually using that phrase as a kind of cover action to attack minorities or people that they disagree with. I'm of an age that I can see what a difference political correctness has made. When I was four years old, my grandfather drove me around Birmingham, where the Tories had just fought an election campaign saying, "if you want a nigger for a neighbour, vote Labour," and he drove me around saying, "this is where all the niggers and the coons and the jungle bunnies live." And I remember being at school in the early 80s and my teacher, when he read the register, instead of saying the name of the one asian boy in the class, he would say, "is the black spot in," right?

Chariot

Sometimes people are silly and jump the gun, but overall we're not pc enough and movements against political correctness go over the rails very fast, good intentions or not. Just yesterday I read up how people reacted when Nyanners took down her pomf video on her own will. Silly, silly, silly.

TimmmV

No, and we seem to be in the middle of a reaction against it that is getting particularly tedious

Every time I see someone complaining about PC/SJWs/Feminists I instantly skip past what they are saying now, thoroughly bored of it

nib95

Banned
I don't think so. As we as a society become more civilised, a sign of progress is to also become more sensitive, understanding and compassionate to one another, mostly refraining from unnecessarily (key word unnecessarily) inflammatory commentary or language. I think it unfortunately tends to mostly be those with backwards, outdated or harmful viewpoints and sensibilities, or an overriding sense of self importance or privilege, that complain about things being too PC.

That or comedians, whom I can sort of sympathise with lol.

BokehKing

Banned
Code:
[img]https://www.ponychan.net/oat/src/1449094906563.jpg[/img]

Yeah, sometimes if you just sit back and watch people make a mountain out of mole hill simply because yes, we are in a VERY PC state of mind...

It's frustrating, I think people are too damn sensitive now.
I'm someone who has always thought of "well let's put ourselves in person X situation". I look at both sides of every scenario.

With that said, people are very quick to claim racism to spin a situation in their favor. If not racism the implied notion of "well if you don't agree with me that obviously means you hate all gays and want kittens to burn in hell" and the person being accused of this stuff is left sitting there like "how the hell did you even come to that conclusion?!?!"

You should try to argues against what people in the thread actually say not what imaginary racists say.

I know a person who almost lost their job for sending out a team email that started "hey guys" after a female member complained it made her feel marginalized. He has to write an apology and added some random training.
See that's what I'm talking about, the most unintentional thing gets jumped on

She could have been like "oh hey what about me" and he probably would have sensed discomfort and changed it to "hey team" or whatever, but nope, straight for the jugular

Nope, just like the countless other outrage culture threads we've had where people posed the same question. If you think the country is "too PC" it's because there's a concerted effort by some people out there and the media to make you think that way by sensationalizing everything for ad revenue. The Internet is a hyperbole machine that has skewed our perception of reality, where one girl saying one thing in passing about the name of a lipstick becomes HUGE CONTROVERSY OVER LIPSTICK NAME CUSTOMERS ARE OUTRAGED.

It has sort of become open season for saying whatever shit you want about straight white guys, but they were due.

Have you actually tried doing that?

Because we can't even talk about white privilege without people losing their shit.

Like literally can't say white people are on average treated better than minorities. A basic fact of life without folks dropping #notallwhitepeople

dity

Imaginary?

yTXs5ZO.png

6YuCIMi.png

BJoyTv5.png

O2pZg5a.png

VdQ6uAr.png

Veelk

Banned
I wish the term politically correct would die in a fire. It's become a code word to dismiss any time people are offended, regardless of actual reason. The reason things become 'politically correct' is generally because they are founded on respecting other people as human beings. Being too empathetic and kind is one of the few things that is really difficult to do in excess.

The_Poet

Banned
I think political correctness is often used as a tool for people to win an argument without needing to think of a good point / counter point.

Its becoming increasingly hard to have a discussion without race/gender getting involved to paint the other person as a bigot.

This is out of line, but is this an overly PC society's fault, or a not too bright manager's fault?

Political Corectness is newspeak Newt Gingrich popularized to make tolerance sound icky to middle america.

We've got bigger problems to worry about.

Nipo

This is out of line, but is this an overly PC society's fault, or a not too bright manager's fault?

Probably more of the latter but since HR got involved it is probably a couple not to bright managers who decided it wasn't worth the risk of Even a ridiculous lawsuit.

2San

On some issue's yes, but discrimination is still a major fucking issue. If the side effect of caring more about discrimination is an overly pc society I'll take it.

Trump is saying the most trashy shit and he somehow gets more votes and we are overly pc huh?

Yes. Yes absolutely. 100 times YES!
Most people nowadays can't take a damn joke.

When could people take a joke? You realize Lenny Bruce was arrested for cursing in 1961 right? Today, you can curse all day on a comedy stage and people don't care. In fact most comedy clubs are a-ok with all material because they understand the context.

Are you talking about every day life where non-comedians tell jokes to each other? Because telling a joke is actually very involved and there's a reason most comics take a decade or so to become successful. Jokes are hard to tell and the often require a very specific delivery. If you tell a Louis CK joke to your friends and co-workers who aren't familiar with it, it's probably not going to go over well.

Sinfamy

Yes, but its not easy to explain.
Conservatives tend to often be the victim of "political correctness" when its convenient for them, but are often quick to outrage when it doesn't fit their narrative or ideology.

Liberals tend to use political correctness to end discussion, often by calling people names, and trying to discredit their character, rather then their ideas.

It's not black and white.
Wearing blackface is wrong, not PC.
Redskin is wrong not PC.
Saying oriental however is perfectly fine for me, people getting offended would be PC.

Though when it comes to feminism, things have gotten incredible out of hand, you can't make a website anymore without having like a dozen sexual orientions and genders.

And the Internet has become a sick place where everyone has a thirst for blood. Too many internet vigilantes ruining people's lives often over false pretenses, or misinformation by doxxing them.

Zona

No, most of the time I seem to see complaints against "PC Culture" it translates to "I'm not allowed to be an asshole without consequence anymore".

Also I get annoyed at claims of "False outrage" or "Fake outrage". It seems to assume just because the person doesn't see a problem with the behavior being criticized that no one on earth can Really be offended. Guess what? Your experience isn't perfectly generalizable to the whole of the species. You are not the default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom