• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has our society become too politically correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bossun

When you mostly sit on the sidelines you tend to say yes.

What's funny is seeing everyone dismiss each other opinion thinking they are smarter and hold the truth.

In the end, nobody wants PC because it's "an attack on freedom" (racists, bigots, minorities, gays) and if and everybody want PC because nobody should insult me.

The racist claiming black people shouldn't complain is thus expecting PC from the black as to not hurt his "fundamental right" to talk, even if it's bullshit, it makes him feel oppressed and should be treated with more respect.
The black person is happy to have PC because it can finally shut up racists pretty easily but tends to generalize when talking about white people and is happy to throw PC out the window in these case.

What I get from it is that we are all hypocrites, even if, judging by this topic 99% of posters have convinced themselves otherwise.

In the end, PC has be detrimental to discussions in general and I hold it responsible for the augmentation of extreme opinions. Because either your discourse is mellowed to the point of being useless and pointless because of PC or because people abusing PC against the smallest little thing are pushing people to frustration.

Also, because most of the time balanced opinions are getting ignored people will tend to use extreme figure of speech to be visible or to be heard.

I still wish people would realize words are not bad in themselves, context and meaning are everything. Granted it's almost impossible to judge these thing on something as impersonal as the internet.

What else would he say after coming under fire?

How are you going to bring up the public enemy avatar
Are we really going to compare full blown racism to people being overly sensitive and looking for any reason to jump down people's throats?

I'm saying drop it if you're just going to straight up lie though. I'm not comparing racism to anything nor did I bring it up.

The design was ugly as shit and they didn't have a mall Santa, that's all. You think a mall manager in LI is going to give a shit about PC?

If you want to assume they changed the set there and at the 6 other malls out of PC pressure then fine, but realize it's nothing more than your assumption.

klonere

Banned
There has never been a greater time to be a gigantic asshole and "stick it to the man" and be "un-PC". Whatever your outrageous opinion, your hurtful or harmful position, your damaged, ill-informed thoughts may be there is a space for you to coalesce with other people of similar minds. In this space you can grow your cancerous ideals together, like one big happy hateful family, cutting yourself off from whatever you deem to be "PC culture" or the mainstream perversion of some long held and sacred point of view, rationalizing a world view which more often than not puts you at the center as the smartest, most competent and above all the most rational person when you walk out your door in the morning.

You may interact with others who are disgusting, disturbed or concerned about whatever drivel you may spout on about but their pleas for moderation, compromise or compassion bounce off this shield of righteousness that you and your brethren have built for yourselves on internet forums, AM radio talk shows, small town political "activism", self-victimizing, often masturbatory demonization of the "other", twitter hashtags or whatever other medium you can channel your willful ignorance through. You act out in work or at familial gatherings or sporting events whenever YOUR subject of choice is broached, you are the center of attention, you are the great crusader brandishing a sword of fire and great cleansing, wiping clean the scabbard every time you return that blade to its resting place, being very careful not to get the stain of other viewpoints on it. "They just don't undestand!" "One day, they'll wake up" "These people are sheep, mindless sheep" "I'm just asking questions" "Viewpoint X in the year 20XX? Outrageous".

Some days you meet another knight, another person who carries that blade and it becomes clear that they wear different colors than you. You two are immediately slammed together like some otherwordly force has glued you forehead to forehead, hands ready to go to the hilt, bile rising, the red mist descends. You starting shouting and screaming, obscenities rise to heaven, spittle begins forming small rivers off your respective lips, it is a storm, a wild conflagration of words that quickly smashes out of the debating ring, rapidly encompassing each others fundamental reasons for existence. Your battle beings to attract a crowd, some merely rubber-necking, some egging you on sincerely or not and suddenly its a small melee of noise and hate. Some days the cacophony becomes deafening, all voices meld into a bizarre wall of sound, something that perhaps would summon the Old Ones from their eternal slumber. Some days you call on your good friends, your fellow enlightened to dive into the fray with you, brothers in arms. Some days it remains you two, alone, old gunslingers locked in an eternal shoutdown. Most days it ends with people carried away by the authorities, onlookers confused, bemused, hurt, scarred perhaps. Acquaintances shrug, passing it off as just something you do. To them it might be something you do for leisure, surely a person couldn't put that much effort into generating meaningless static. To you, its just another battle in your endless war. Oh you are a warrior alright, you are a tough, cocksure virtuous warrior.

And warriors don't need to worry about other people's "feelings". That's that PC shit. And our society is way too PC, right?

Farsi

What's funny is seeing everyone dismiss each other opinion thinking they are smarter and hold the truth.

In the end, nobody wants PC because it's "an attack on freedom" (racists, bigots, minorities, gays) and if and everybody want PC because nobody should insult me.

The racist claiming black people shouldn't complain is thus expecting PC from the black as to not hurt his "fundamental right" to talk, even if it's bullshit, it makes him feel oppressed and should be treated with more respect.
The black person is happy to have PC because it can finally shut up racists pretty easily but tends to generalize when talking about white people and is happy to throw PC out the window in these case.

What I get from it is that we are all hypocrites, even if, judging by this topic 99% of posters have convinced themselves otherwise.

In the end, PC has be detrimental to discussions in general and I hold it responsible for the augmentation of extreme opinions. Because either your discourse is mellowed to the point of being useless and pointless because of PC or because people abusing PC against the smallest little thing are pushing people to frustration.

Also, because most of the time balanced opinions are getting ignored people will tend to use extreme figure of speech to be visible or to be heard.

I still wish people would realize words are not bad in themselves, context and meaning are everything. Granted it's almost impossible to judge these thing on something as impersonal as the internet.

original.gif

While there are people that enjoy making a shitstorm out of non-offensive materials with their mob groupies, I feel they are minority.

Look at most stupid threads on gaming side that most of the time amount to no changes whatsoever.

But minorities getting better treatment is a good thing. And most claiming that we are in an overly PC culture are most likely white males.

There has never been a greater time to be a gigantic asshole and "stick it to the man" and be "un-PC". Whatever your outrageous opinion, your hurtful or harmful position, your damaged, ill-informed thoughts may be there is a space for you to coalesce with other people of similar minds. In this space you can grow your cancerous ideals together, like one big happy hateful family, cutting yourself off from whatever you deem to be "PC culture" or the mainstream perversion of some long held and sacred point of view, rationalizing a world view which more often than not puts you at the center as the smartest, most competent and above all the most rational person when you walk out your door in the morning.

You may interact with others who are disgusting, disturbed or concerned about whatever drivel you may spout on about but their pleas for moderation, compromise or compassion bounce off this shield of righteousness that you and your brethren have built for yourselves on internet forums, AM radio talk shows, small town political "activism", self-victimizing, often masturbatory demonization of the "other", twitter hashtags or whatever other medium you can channel your willful ignorance through. You act out in work or at familial gatherings or sporting events whenever YOUR subject of choice is broached, you are the center of attention, you are the great crusader brandishing a sword of fire and great cleansing, wiping clean the scabbard every time you return that blade to its resting place, being very careful not to get the stain of other viewpoints on it. "They just don't undestand!" "One day, they'll wake up" "These people are sheep, mindless sheep" "I'm just asking questions" "Viewpoint X in the year 20XX? Outrageous".

Some days you meet another knight, another person who carries that blade and it becomes clear that they wear different colors than you. You two are immediately slammed together like some otherwordly force has glued you forehead to forehead, hands ready to go to the hilt, bile rising, the red mist descends. You starting shouting and screaming, obscenities rise to heaven, spittle begins forming small rivers off your respective lips, it is a storm, a wild conflagration of words that quickly smashes out of the debating ring, rapidly encompassing each others fundamental reasons for existence. Your battle beings to attract a crowd, some merely rubber-necking, some egging you on sincerely or not and suddenly its a small melee of noise and hate. Some days the cacophony becomes deafening, all voices meld into a bizarre wall of sound, something that perhaps would summon the Old Ones from their eternal slumber. Some days you call on your good friends, your fellow enlightened to dive into the fray with you, brothers in arms. Some days it remains you two, alone, old gunslingers locked in an eternal shoutdown. Most days it ends with people carried away by the authorities, onlookers confused, bemused, hurt, scarred perhaps. Acquaintances shrug, passing it off as just something you do. To them it might be something you do for leisure, surely a person couldn't put that much effort into generating meaningless static. To you, its just another battle in your endless war. Oh you are a warrior alright, you are a tough, cocksure virtuous warrior.

And warriors don't need to worry about other people's "feelings". That's that PC shit. And our society is way too PC, right?

I like you.

I think these two parts of your post look really nice next to each other.

I tend to err on the side that PC isn't necessarily perfect but it's a lot, lot better than what we have had and I would much rather people be worried about offending people or trying to create a more inclusive lexicon that makes people feel welcome and safe than the opposite. It seems quite odd to me to decry something which is, in essence, 'let's just be nice to each other'.

no lol racist, sexist, homophobic and anti-LGBT stances are horrid, usually held by horrible people. the faster those people learn how their stances contribute to the negative experiences of minorities the better.

dity

*claps*

ColdPizza

Banned

There are extremes on both ends of the spectrum. Yours is just one side.

dity

Some words are absolutely bad because they're never not said in a context that isn't bad.

Farsi

If PC culture had gone mad, I'd assume more people would be talking about it. So far, it just seems to be a rumour - this whole fired for saying Merry Christmas kerfuffle.

Well we do, we're actually talking about it right now and it really is a hot topic of discussion online and really it all depends on personal experience. That's why the discussion hasn't died yet. There's no "PROOF PLOX" to shut it down. No definitive answer anywhere in sight.

I mean if you're a straight white Christian male, then yea America might be too PC for you.

If you're anything else, the answer is probably going to be a chortle followed by a firm no.

Farsi

Only one side has candidates for presidents and prime ministers. I'll leave that for you to figure out.

The truth is not always in the middle

Can you go into depth on what you mean here? I'm pretty sure Liberals vs Republicans still a thing here in the states.

ColdPizza

Banned
Only one side has candidates for presidents and prime ministers. I'll leave that for you to figure out.

The truth is not always in the middle

It takes two opposing forces to make something an issue. The PC brigade that shuts down discussion and the anti-PC Warriors that double down on their hatred.

Presidential candidates aren't what we are discussing here.

dity

Well we do, we're actually talking about it right now and it really is a hot topic of discussion online and really it all depends on personal experience. That's really why the discussion hasn't died yet. There's no "PROOF PLOX" to shut it down. No definitive answer anywhere in sight.

A poster said people will get fired for saying Merry Christmas, and there's very unreliable evidence to actually support that. You can't just assume "the world's a big place, it's probably true" - not when the "war on Christmas" is a topic non-PC people like to blow up about online.

Also, you're aware my post was not talking about "PC culture" in general and was actyally this specific Christmas thing? Naturally we are discussing "PC culture gone mad" in this thread but that's not what these string of replies in the thread was about.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
yes because it's become a fad and people don't really care about the issue they just want to be seen as on the right side of the issue. So basically cowardice.

klonere

Banned
There are extremes on both ends of the spectrum. Yours is just one side.

The side I'm describing isn't extreme at all. Right now it exists as a very popular party Presidential nomination campaign. It has been normalized as an accepted part of our daily discourse.

That ain't no extreme, its your morning news soundbite.

Keasar

I think so when it is things like this. Nerdwriter had a good monologue about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOO1AX7_jXw
Good video. This is one of the indicators to me that people are becoming sensitive, when they bash comedians because they can't understand the point of the jokes a comedian makes. Comedy has been very important throughout history to be critical of our society, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Dave Chappelle, Louis CK. have all been great comedians who point out the faults of a society using humour in a way that exaggerates the often insanity of different things that is happening.

Louis CK for instance in that clip is completely right, there is something that makes child molesters do what they do, despite the absolutely great consequences you will suffer with your life if you are caught, and his joke about it during that show made me question it and start looking it up instead of trying to remain on my high horse just saying "IT IS WRONG!" Now I have been convinced we are going at these people wrong, that instead of trying to offer help to them we constantly demonize them and just contribute to the problem. I think Louis CK's joke in the end made me learn and improve.

Agreed. Many results I see is that people don't now just lock themselves away from racism, sexism etc. but also it is creeping into political views or scientific views, a in my belief very damaging effect.

Can you go into depth on what you mean here? I'm pretty sure Liberals vs Republicans still a thing here in the states.

I suspect this is referring to the fact that the "extreme" liberal side has no politicians behind it, yet the right wing/conservative extremists include at least a few of the current candidates for President, along with countless others in Congress.

This is horseshit. In what way could all opinions be equally valid? If I think slavery is A-OK, does that make it a valid opinion?
In the ways of opinion? Of course it's a valid opinion it's a horseshit opinion and I would argue to the death against it but in the strictest definition of the term it's valid.

This might be the smartest thing I have read on the OT side of GAF.
7eTOu6O.gif

klonere

Banned
What will that rapscallion Trump say next? Maybe he'll infer that those evil people who stick tubes in women's vaginas to murder babies might have had it coming and would have been better prepared if they all owned and carried AR 15s around with them.

I'm glad Trump has the bravery to say such things, he is really sticking it to our PC culture.

Syringe

I think it's media and a really loud minority of people who think they speaks for everyone when inventing new ways of being PC. Most people don't care.

It takes two opposing forces to make something an issue. The PC brigade that shuts down discussion and the anti-PC Warriors that double down on their hatred.

Racists and Bigots should not have their views coddled. It only serves to legitimize them and leads to the furthur marginalization of minorities.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I've been saying yes for years and it seems to be getting worse with all the faux outrage being spewed about. People don't really care they just don't wanna be seen on the wrong side of the issue, even if the issue itself is the wrong side.

No way in hell could you call Hillary or even Bernie an extremist. Samr can't be said for you know almost the entire GOP candidate group.

E92 M3

I think the beautiful thing about America is freedom of speech. In college I had a discussion with a person that was a Hitler supporter. Of course as a Jewish man it was jarring, but I am thankful that our country allowed him to say those things. I wasn't offended, but it was interesting to have a conversation with someone from the other side.

In fact, I am pretty sure he started reconsidering his views a little bit.

Farsi

A poster said people will get fired for saying Merry Christmas, and there's very unreliable evidence to actually support that. You can't just assume "the world's a big place, it's probably true"

and why can't you? There's a video out there of a guy picking glass from a broken jar he stuck up his own ass.

People get fired over the stupidest and most random things all the time. Dity I get what you're trying to say but you're trying to hard here buddy.

Both sides of this debate piss me off.

Some of the anti-PC side use the label "PC" to complain about why they aren't allowed to say hurtful, racist shit in public. Trying to hide behind the First Amendment when you get fired for sending out a group email where you call someone the n-word shows a lack of understanding for what the first amendment actually protects (hint: you're free to speak your mind--for the most part--but you aren't free from the consequences of your speech).

But some members of the PC side are way too quick to find any perceived slight they can pounce on with name-calling like sexist, bigot, racist, etc. Shouting someone down with name calling is the end of debate, and shows an appalling lack of intellectualism. You're weakening your argument and doing a disservice to your beliefs if your response to anyone you don't agree with is "you're just a closet racist."

People have gotten very sensitive to slights lately. Some of it is justified. Some of it is overreach. Exposing actual examples of institutionalized racism is fantastic. Those people should be dragged into the light and removed from public office (where applicable).

Booing a comedian off stage for making a joke is overreach (unless what they say is actually racist--like Michael Richards, for instance). The job of a (social commentary) comedian is to say the unexpected and find humor in the uncomfortable. If you don't like that, don't go to their show. Booing them just makes you look stupid and probably scares the high horse you're riding around on.

If you're wanting equality for everyone, yet want certain groups to be exempt from teasing and ridicule, you aren't asking for equality. You're asking for certain groups to be treated like Fabergé eggs. You're pulling the pendulum of political correctness way too far in one direction. And the swing back, when it happens (and it always does), is going to be massive.

Society hasn't changed. Nothing about human beings have changed. People have always been offended, you just haven't been able to hear their voice of see their faces as often.

Instant communication for all changed that

dity

and why can't you? There's a video out there of a guy picking glass from a broken jar he stuck up his own ass.

People get fired over the stupidest and most random things all the time. Dity I get what you're trying to say but you're trying to hard here buddy.

So because there's a video of a man picking glass from his ass... You can just say something's true and we should just accept it regardless of the lack of evidence?

What?

Last time I checked heads of state are part of society.

Last time I checked some sexist/racist (Trump, Cruz, Carson, etc... take your pick) will likely get the GOP nom and likely get at least 40% of the national vote. Whilst dems get centrist Hillary.

So sorry if I don't play this truth is in the middle bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom