• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantic Dream changed the skin tone of Saudi characters in Beyond PS4 to..

harSon

Banned
To be fair middle eastern people aren't just brown so it's not really unrealistic to see people someone with lighter skin

The Middle East is an ethnically diverse place, but the characters in the OP are specifically Saudi. And the issue is the characters being whitewashed after the fact. It's just bizarre.

Damn, this is weird...
On a completely unrelated note, this is a bit spoilerish, I wish I hadn't clicked. Nice dress though.

Akara

Banned
Models seem swapped. I wonder why did this occur, maybe with certain choices your character changes skin colors? @_@ why though really

Laputa_94

retrouvailles.gif

Teeth

Can anyone who has actually played the game give any context for the scene and/or characters? Are they depicted as villainous/heroic? Are they just scenic props? Do the Saudi people have any place in the story line?

Can anyone who has actually played the game give any context for the scene and/or characters? Are they depicted as villainous/heroic? Are they just scenic props? Do the Saudi people have any place in the story line?

Quite literally just background characters with no impact on the story or anything. I sincerely doubt this was intentional or done for any specific purpose.

JoseLopez

I honestly dont understand some of the responses because i mean this obviously a mistake but some you act as if it's some sort of anti minority agenda.

Riki

Quite literally just background characters with no impact on the story or anything. I sincerely doubt this was intentional or done for any specific purpose.
How can you say it wasn't intentional when they only changed the Saudi characters?
They didn't just change the skin color but even the facial features are more "white"

Johndoey

Banned
Well this looks sketchy as fuck. Then then I recall the only prominent black character from Heavy Rain and it all makes more sense.

Gold_Loot

It looks like Jodie's skin tone is different as well though. Is it a possible lighting issue with the port?

hesido

They've not only changed the skin tones. You can see the facial features has changed too. So serious work went into this thing, yo.

It looks like Jodie's skin tone is different as well though. Is it a possible lighting issue with the port?
That lighting change surely made the guys nose smaller ;)

It almost comes off like a shader bug given that colours of everything can be randomized. The eyes are different in that image as well though.

JoseLopez

How can you say it wasn't intentional when they only changed the Saudi characters?
They didn't just change the skin color but even the facial features are more "white"
It's literally the same character model but lighter your just looking for stuff that isn't there.

This is really hard to understand. There's got to be something more to it... right? There's literally no reason somebody would go on and change the models of random background characters out of nowhere...

The facial features of the guard changed because it's probably a slightly different model. Half the guests are changed, have different hair color, facial hair, clothes, etc. This seems like something that would happen when they up-res a model and use the wrong skintone for the "Saudi" models or something, not like someone going in and hand-lightening each character individually.

Teeth

I wonder if it's some bugged skin shader. But even that doesn't make much sense since a bunch of the background women changed too. Different coloured dresses and hair colour. A couple of the men got beards or whatever. It's possible that they are randomly generated, but even at that point, the system would pick from select pre-made assets, and the Saudi clothes/features seem independent of the other models.

It just doesn't make any sense.

If they had wiped away the appearance totally, I could see it being some dubious business, but the models are still clearly presenting as Saudi, but with light skin. Why? Why why why why?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Strangely enough, neither of the guys in the OP picture looks what I'd think of a typical middle eastern. The one on the right has the facial features and skin color of a black person. The one on the left looks white as white gets.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I honestly dont understand some of the responses because i mean this obviously a mistake but some you act as if it's some sort of anti minority agenda.
Something like this doesn't happen by accident. And that most certainly isn't the same model. They swapped the heads completely for multiple characters. Beards don't magically appear out of thin air.

Gold_Loot

They've not only changed the skin tones. You can see the facial features has changed too. So serious work went into this thing, yo.

That lighting change surely made the guys nose smaller ;)
Viewing on the cell so it's a bit harder to see the smaller details.

It's odd though. Nobody complained over the originals. I'm thinking they were trying to avoid any stereotype complaints and by doing so, jumped into another boiling pot of water.

Akronis

You guys are just criticizing David Cages artistic vision for the game. It was supposed to be this way all along, it is just PS3 does not have enough SPUs for white person rendering (WPR). Or at least not enough for more than 3 on screen at any time. Thanks to the power of GPGPUs, this artifact can now be done away with and Cage' sartistic vision can finally be realized.

With WPR you can get more emotion because you can spend more polygons. Polygons = emotion.

I laffed

Top Bottom