• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes PC Performance Thread

Tizoc

Welp the game is out, here's a screenshot of the Graphi options
lashman said:
QrVRwiG.jpg

At this moment the game appears to only support up til 1080p, so you can play it on borderless windowed if you want With time some will likely provide a way to go beyond 1080p
I mean if it worked for Dark Souls it can work for this thing.

The game should also recognize a 360 controller and use its button mappings as well

Some early impressions
Oh and fair warning, you want to launch config tool and use the Windows 7 compatiblity option, as the game warns you on Win 8 and 10 it is unstable and also will apparently lessen some particle effects. This isn't an option you can change in game, has to be done through the launcher.

Just played it for a little bit. It looks at least as good as the PS4 version at 1080p. My wife played through the entire game on console, and she's convinced the PC version's got better lighting (AO, global illumination), and particle effects. I'd say she might be right - GPU load on a TItan X at 1356Mhz at maximum settings is 40-50%.

In any case, we're thinking about keeping it since it's KT's best PC port yet. The resolution limit is a shame, especially to those such as myself using 4K native displays, but everything else about the port is great so far. If anyone manages to unlock the resolution, this one could be a real winner.

Before I forget, if you think you have slightly higher than a snow ball's chance in hell at modding it to support arbitrary resolutions, I'll gladly send a copy of the game your way so that you can begin working on it. Only pros need to apply, a.k.a. Durante. :p

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why doesnt it support above 60fps?

I want to see this game in 4k 120fps.

All the options seem present and correct, there's really no logical reason for arbitrary caps, especially to the console res, atleast support 4k.

But then again, Omega force does have a habit of putting their PS3 versions on PC for some reason, so i guess i should not be surprised?

Durante

It's absolutely inexcusable that ports on this engine still, after multiple years and games, are resolution locked.

I often defend developers because gamers sometimes don't fully appreciate the complexities of software development, but this is

absolutely

inexcusable.

It's absolutely inexcusable that ports on this engine still, after multiple years and games, are resolution locked.

I often defend developers because gamers sometimes don't fully appreciate the complexities of software development, but this is

absolutely

inexcusable.

Prolly don't want to QA resolutions that their monitors at work don't support.

I have been powering through this game for the past week on PS4. I like it but I'm definitely ready for it to be over. At one time I had hopes of "doing everything" but now I think I'll be satisfied with just beating it and putting it aside.

The story is pretty awful. The only DQ I've played (a bit of) is 8, so I recognize those characters. The rest I have no affinity for, which isn't the game's fault. But if you've not played a lot of DQ games, just be aware that a lot of the novelty of it might not hit you.

The menus are slow, the dialogue is slow. Everything about in between the missions is slow. Over the course of 20-30 hours, it adds up. I'm at 25 hours and I think I'm headed to the final area, but based on how many in-game "trophies" I haven't unlocked yet, it looks like I could keep playing for quite a while after I beat it.

Also, the music. Maybe you have some reverence for this music if you love DQ but even so, it's so repetitive. It's the same tracks over and over again and personally I don't think they're great. I'm playing on PS4 and the game prevents you from streaming Spotify in the background, which would make playing it SO MUCH better for me.

Overall it's a cool game. It could just so easily be much better.

Eusis

absolutely

inexcusable.
Ok, YOU I will take far more seriously than others when criticizing a developer over this. Though many years of releasing these games on PC and still doing this is kind of insane regardless.

Corpekata

Banned
Seems to be running well. Playing at 1080p at 1440p isn't as bad as I expected so far, probably thanks to the art style, usually when I play stretched games it's pretty ugly.

Didn't play the console version so have no base of comparison. Looks fairly decent. Really do wish it supported more resolutions though.

Vex_

Banned
Seems to be running well. Playing at 1080p at 1440p isn't as bad as I expected so far, probably thanks to the art style, usually when I play stretched games it's pretty ugly.

Didn't play the console version so have no base of comparison. Looks fairly decent. Really do wish it supported more resolutions though.

Can you post some screenies, brother?

Carlius

Banned
dont care. gonna buy right now to support jrpgs on pc and SE so they can bring me that ff15 on pc, this is all a test people, its all a test. lets pass it with flying colors.

Tizoc

Thanks for letting me know, if I knew this was a good port, I would of gotten it from gmg when it had the 10% off.

GMG has 22% discount code atm and you can still wait til Winter Seal for Steam to hopefully discount it again.
Just need some more impressions to solidify the quality of the port then S-E can see that mega sales boost come X-mas
Hopefully.

Buburibon

Just played it for a little bit. It looks at least as good as the PS4 version at 1080p. My wife played through the entire game on console, and she's convinced the PC version's got better lighting (AO, global illumination), and particle effects. I'd say she might be right - GPU load on a TItan X at 1356Mhz at maximum settings is 40-50%.

In any case, we're thinking about keeping it since it's KT's best PC port yet. The resolution limit is a shame, especially to those such as myself using 4K native displays, but everything else about the port is great so far. If anyone manages to unlock the resolution, this one could be a real winner.

Before I forget, if you think you have slightly higher than a snow ball's chance in hell at modding it to support arbitrary resolutions, I'll gladly send a copy of the game your way so that you can begin working on it. Only pros need to apply, a.k.a. Durante. :p

Zafir

I find it interesting that tecmo koei managed to do 4k in bladestorm but other ports they never bothered.

Past games weren't modded to support higher resses as far as I'm aware so I'm not holding my breath on that front.

Corpekata

Banned
Oh and fair warning, you want to launch config tool and use the Windows 7 compatiblity option, as the game warns you on Win 8 and 10 it is unstable and also will apparently lessen some particle effects. This isn't an option you can change in game, has to be done through the launcher.

Tizoc

Oh and fair warning, you want to launch config tool and use the Windows 7 compatibility option, as the game warns you on Win 8 and 10 it is unstable and also will apparently lessen some particle effects. This isn't an option you can change in game, has to be done through the launcher.

KOEI Tecmo need to upgrade their PCs lol

Dr Dogg

The funny thing is that it's probably more work to actually hard code your resolution that to populate them from the users OS. I buzzed a SE Community Manager message about this for FF Type-0 and explained a fairly idiot proof way to do this but whether that ever got passed on to either HexaDrive or the peeps who make decisions at SE I guess I'll never know as nowt got done about it.

me0wish

GMG has 22% discount code atm and you can still wait til Winter Seal for Steam to hopefully discount it again.
Just need some more impressions to solidify the quality of the port then S-E can see that mega sales boost come X-mas
Hopefully.

Yeah I know about the 22%, but I'm unhappy that I have to pay more because I didn't gamble and buy a likely broken port. I'm still tempted to buy the game as I loved Hyrule Warriors and DQH seems to be on par or better, also I want to support good ports/JRPs/more DQ on Steam.

RM8

I'm so happy that this is a good port! I recently bought Samurai Warriors 4 II and I started fearing the worst for this game, lol.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
So it's the PS4 version?

Well at least that's progress for ω force.

kagamin

I checked out the options before I left for class this morning, for not purchasing an Omega Force developed game in the past I'm satisfied, being able to downsample from 1080p is nice too. Will try out performance when I get home later.

For people who know more about these things, why are the Koei games and Type 0 so hard to uncap the resolution in comparison to Dark Souls or FFXIII? I'll buy this the second 4K support is added but as of now I have to much to play with these kind of limitations in place. At the same time I want more Dragon Quest on steam.....but i'll let it stew for a while.

Edit: In layman's terms that is, not a programmer obviously.

Ok I just played a few minutes, this game actually runs very smooth and the pc graphic settings aren't bad.

But it baffles me how Koei-Tecmo has neglected a VSync disable option in an action musou game. And I don't know why the resolution can't be upped beyond 1920p. 60fps lock I can deal with though.

I hope Koei actually responds to these issues instead of ignoring them like all the other ports.

dont care. gonna buy right now to support jrpgs on pc and SE so they can bring me that ff15 on pc, this is all a test people, its all a test. lets pass it with flying colors.
If a game isn't up to snuff why should we reward them? Koei refuses to learn, and seemingly Square Enix.

Namco got the memo, as did Capcom and Sega for the most part. Koei and Omega Force need to adapt.

Corpekata

Banned

Some screens as requested. This is stretched to 1440p so if you're at 1080p won't have some of the issues I have. In motion it's not too bad, though things like talking to vendor NPCs makes it super noticeable, and even at medium distance like in that last shot at the camp.

mfaex

Crashes at startup on my good laptop when my nvidia card is selected irregardless of windows 7 compatibility. It will start if integrated graphics is selected, but yeah, 0 fps. I'm sad now.

Top Bottom