• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palmer Luckey: "People are free to mod Oculus exclusive for other headsets"

Krejlooc

Banned
Will do, sir.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...terfun_fact_nintendo_doesnt/cxr6rid?context=3

[–]palmerluckeyFounder, Oculus VR 76 points 8 hours ago

If customers buy a game from us, I don't care if they mod it to run on whatever they want. As I have said a million times (and counter to the current circlejerk), our goal is not to profit by locking people to only our hardware - if it was, why in the world would we be supporting GearVR and talking with other headset makers? The software we create through Oculus Studios (using a mix of internal and external developers) are exclusive to the Oculus platform, not the Rift itself.

The issue is people who expect us to officially support all headsets on a platform level with some kind of universal Oculus SDK, which is not going to happen anytime soon. We do want to work with other hardware vendors, but not at the expense of our own launch, and certainly not in a way that leads to developing for the lowest common denominator - there are a lot of shitty headsets coming, a handful of good ones, and a handful that may never even hit the market. Keep in mind that support for the good ones requires cooperation from both parties, which is sometimes impossible for reasons outside our control.

On another note, I disagree with most of your post, and I think you are either misunderstanding or misrepresenting several important points, but that does not change my answer.

[–]ficarra1002 9 points 6 hours ago*

So what you're saying, is games you have funded could be ported to other hardware, just not sold in different storefronts? THIS is the right way to do it. As in, no contracts regarding exclusivity exist? If Rock Band devs later decide to port to SteamVR, they are welcome to?

[–]palmerluckeyFounder, Oculus VR 37 points 6 hours ago

Exactly. This is nothing new, it is exactly what we have been saying for years: http://www.roadtovr.com/news-bits-o...going-sell-1-billion-pairs-glasses-ourselves/

"Only on Oculus" does not mean "Only on Rift". If it did, we would not be using the same line for both Rift and GearVR, the two headsets our store and platform currently support.

jmga

I'm glad he is slowly changing his speech.

There is no reason to close their platform to other headsets if they want to base their business in software.

I hope that universal hardware support will finally arrive.

Krejlooc

Banned
Because I know people are, inevitably, going to wonder the feasibility of this - yes, it's very doable. Regardless of the method of deriving location and position (inside-out positional tracking, outside-in positional tracking, magnetic induction tracking, etc), the end result is always the same - a transformation matrix. Which is to say, there is naturally a degree of interchangeability between all sorts of positional tracking technologies that can be overcome through software.

think of it this way, if someone gives you the problem "2x4", there are a few ways you can solve it. You can go 2 + 2 + 2 + 2, you can go 4 + 4, you can transform it into 2x(2x2), etc. But no matter what way you solve the problem, you get the same answer. That answer is the key.

There is no reason to close their platform to other headsets if they want to base their business in software.

I hope that universal hardware support will finally arrive.

Everything built with SteamVR, OpenVR, and OSVR all have universal support. Oculus' runtime (and obviously sony's platform) is the only one that isn't universal.

Although, funnily enough, currently, you can force Elite Dangerous to run in windows 10 by wrapping the Oculus 0.8 runtime around steamVR. If you try to run the 0.8 runtime in windows 10 without steamVR, it wont work.

Denton

Just read this earlier today, good stuff.
Still don't know which one to get. What do you recommend Krejlooc, Vive or Rift ?

Krejlooc

Banned
to give a comparison:

SteamVR, OpenVR, OSVR = OpenGL, runs on anything
Oculus Runtime = GLide, exclusive to specific hardware, but can be wrapped to run on anything
PSVR = DirectX, one type of hardware only

Krejlooc

Banned
Just read this earlier today, good stuff.
Still don't know which one to get. What do you recommend Krejlooc, Vive or Rift ?

HTC vive. I think having a positional tracking controller that ships with the headset is very important. If every Vive ships with a lighthouse controller, then it has a huge leg up on the rift. I also think there is way more utility in the touchpad on the Vive controllers than "finger pointing" is on the Constellation controllers. The touchpads on the Vive controllers essentially make them programmable controllers in the vain of the Steam Controller.

I also think Lighthouse will be a more robust system due to it's dumb nature. No wires you need to run to your PC, just pop in some batteries and set them anywhere in your home. To gain the same functionality with the Oculus Rift, you need two wired cameras running to your PC.

Krejlooc

Banned
I have to say, though, if this is the case - if they're only caring about store exclusivity - then they really should just go ahead and adopt a universal API. Making modders do the work for them for free is lame.

But something I will certainly oblige.

That's not changing his speech. He never said that their games couldn't be modded.

It's still a software developed and that runs in a pc. Of course some modders can try to make it run in whatever hardware.
Hell, isn't there software like VorpX that makes game not designed for any kind of VR to run in headsets? I can imagine someone can do the same for translation from VR 1 to VR 2.

But their games are still funded and published by Oculus. You aren't going to see a Oculus game being released for Vive.

Krejlooc

Banned
Hell, isn't there software like VorpX that makes game not designed for any kind of VR to run in headsets? I can imagine someone can do the same for translation from VR 1 to VR 2.

VorpX works precisely because the games don't expect any sort of VR support. It's merely shifting geometry, because the game itself is not checking for that sort of stuff.

This isn't going to be a simple translation layer. This is going to be full mod work.

But their games are still funded and published by Oculus. You aren't going to see a Oculus game being released for Vive.

I see Sony games on PC. I see valve games on Xbox and Playstation. I see microsoft products on apple. Oculus should join the rest of the computing world.

D1rkG3ntly

Neo Member
"We do want to work with other hardware vendors, but not at the expense of our own launch, and certainly not in a way that leads to developing for the lowest common denominator"

Forcing an xbox one controller onto everyone that buys CV1 and asking developers to focus on seated experiences using it is the lowest common denominator.

Top Bottom