• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The State Of The Xbox One in 2015 [KOTAKU]

mocoworm

I did search, but nothing came up. Summary article on XONE in 2015 by Kotaku.

LOADS at the link:

http://kotaku.com/the-state-of-the-xbox-one-in-2015-1747108255

It must be frustrating for the people who work on the Xbox One, to have turned one of the worst-pitched gaming consoles ever into a machine that’s in several ways better than its competition. Lately, Microsoft has done so many things well. They’ve improved their box in so many ways. Surely they ask: Will you not love the Xbox One, already?

They are trying so hard.

I'll say. They've done an amazing job from what it was at launch. After my PC, it's my most played gaming system and I love the direction it''s going it.

It's kind of sad how hard they are trying but can't catch up to the PS4 in sales. Even though they seem to be putting more of an effort in their system than Sony is, IMO.

They sold me an Xbox One this year. I'd say good job Microsoft. 2016 looks promising for the console and I'd love to see them keep up the momentum.

Theorry

"The State of the Xbox One in 2015 is that it is an aggressive contender constantly swinging at Sony. Those paying attention will notice it is scoring plenty of hits, too, and is likely to land more in 2016. It’s a very good console and has been for some time."

Its pretty much a different box compared to the one I picked up at launch and pretty much its all for the better.

Really looking forward to 2016 :)

R3TRODYCE

I loved it at launch but as the gen goes on I like it less for some reason. I think it's the exclusives but hopefully next year pulls me in again.

Interesting article. Makes some good points. I guess there is more to like than I thought. I think I'm going to buy one soon to compliment my PS4

Purchased multiple Xbox ones. Always sell them. As someone with a dedicated home theatre, many of the features don't appeal to me and halo isn't doing it for me. Both consoles are too similar to justify that I own both. Not enough time in the day as it is.

It isn't a bad system at all, but the power difference, though small, will continue to set the tone for many buyers.

The exclusives and online system will always appeal to me more. Sony has done pretty okay with their support until now, but I've never would've bought it as well if it wouldn't have been for that few exclusives. Their support for the PS3's online capabilities and software in general almost kept me from buying the PS4 altogether. This generation they still haven't delivered much in this regard, but at least it's stable, even though their OS still looks absolutely awful, and is a real pain to navigate in.

My Xbox One is my main driver, even for multiplatform games that run better on PS4 because of it's power. The OS and online system on Xbox One is just lightyears ahead of what I experience on my PS4. Microsoft really deserves some more love.

Whatever man, I really really like my Xbox One. It's exactly what I personally want. Could it be more powerful? Certainly. But I think it's certainly capable of achieving what I want from it.

Game4life

Banned
Microsoft did all of that in 2015 and nevertheless find themselves with the less buzzed-about of the biggest two consoles. Some of that buzz is literally theater. Sony now holds annual fan expos and hits the nostalgia button by hosting crowdfunding announcements for games like Shenmue 3 and Psychonauts 2, or by bringing guys from Square Enix on stage to show off an eye-watering remake of the original PlayStation classic Final Fantasy VII. Xbox One fans are left hoping that Major Nelson will Tweet something cool.

I think this is the story of this generation. Sony just has the fans in the palm of their hands and I am not sure what MS can do to counter it. It will only get worse in 2016 given Sony's insane lineup although MS lineup is nowhere close to shabby either. I am not sure what they can do to combat it apart from releasing bonafide GOTY candidates left and right which is easier said than done.

I loved it at launch but as the gen goes on I like it less for some reason. I think it's the exclusives but hopefully next year pulls me in again.

To be fair FH3 is freaking awesome although I know you did not like it. Exclusive wise I cannot think of one game apart from Bloodborne and FH2 which I would call damn that is a fking amazing game. 2016 is going to kick some serious ass though.

Zeta Oni

One thing I can't wait to die off is that whole xbox only has gears forza and halo stuff that's repeated again and again.

Crackdown, Quantum Break, ReCore, Halo Wars 2, Scalebound, and Sea of Thieves don't sound like that to me.

Glad to see the turn around, and I must say even though the lack of games was a bit tiresome at first, now I have a constant game to play and quality first parties to look forward to.

TBiddy

I like my XB1. I don't love it, yet, but it's certainly on the way. I love the controllers, though. They are just in another league compared to the competition.

Sure, it's less powerful than the PS4, but I honestly couldn't care less, as long as the games I play look great. Which they do, by the way.

the21O

Neo Member
I just got rid of my xboxone because its not all that different from my ps4. I still don't get why the Christmas season is the only time game releases count.

R3cki

Banned
console is great since dashboard 2.0, new pop out task bar is a great feature, never got faster into a party/game with friends than now.
never understood why in the name of god you should cancel features for your next console that were already in your last console but those things are coming back. (background music for example)

only the commercial and image need to get back to the roots.
i still remember the great "Life is Short, Play More" ad and I still miss the spirit.

the one thing i will never want to miss again is the comfortable switch between games and apps like netflix or youtube.
this is like one of the best things ever. lol

evilr

Banned
PS4 is the smarter purchase and is the better console, no question. They fail to mention that all third-party games run better on PS4, so although you can play Battlefront on Xbox One, why would you?

There is also the network effect. People's circles likely own a PS4, so they'll get one too no matter what Xbox One has.

In addition, every decision in the past year is unsustainable and is only possible because of Microsofts warchest. The war is over, no doubt, and hopefully Microsoft think of a better contender in the next generation.

One thing I can't wait to die off is that whole xbox only has gears forza and halo stuff that's repeated again and again.

Those three franchises are releasing again in 2016 though so they're not helping themselves.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I love my One.. honestly I like the controller so much better I've but multi-plat games on it.

Wish it had more parity, but a lot of it doesn't matter when just playing the games.. it's not like I'm playing them both side-by-side to see a difference.

Turned from something I'll never buy to a machine I play more on than my PS4.

MS did a good turn around; will only get better in 2016, especially with their lineup.

Xbox One is my only console right now and I couldn't be happier.

Sure it isn't as powerful as the PS4, but that really shouldn't make any difference unless your enjoyment of games comes mostly from power. And if that's the case you'd more than likely be a pc Gamer anyway.

I love the console despite all the things gaffers tell me is wrong with it.

Why peoole have a need for their particular console choice to be the best is beyond me.

Every platform has pros and cons. Xbox One certainly has a list of cons. Play whatever you want.

My purchase has more than been worth it with all the hours I've gotten out of:

BF4
Killer instinct
Fallout 4
Gears UE
Titanfall
Mortal Kombat X

It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it.

gatti-man

That's interesting. I absolutely loathe my xbox one at the moment. The interface of the OS is a pain in the ass to use. Absolutely annoying and much slower than my ps4. Updating one of my controllers the other day bricked the controller for no reason. Just said experienced error and now the controller won't even power on. My day one controller rattles like a cheap toy. I'd give them a 3/10 for how satusfied I am with their product. It's garbage.

The only reason I turn it on anymore is killer instinct and halo 5. I'd buy another console but why reward Microsoft for selling a piece of shit to its day 1 customers.

I like my XB1. I don't love it, yet, but it's certainly on the way. I love the controllers, though. They are just in another league compared to the competition.

Sure, it's less powerful than the PS4, but I honestly couldn't care less, as long as the games I play look great. Which they do, by the way.

This is true. Halo, Sunsent Overdrive and Forza look great. And as good as any ps4 exclusive and pc....exclu..well, pc doesn't really have exclusives but you get what I'm saying. The secret sauce comes through.

Yup. I sold my PS4 this year (though I'll certainly buy one again next fall assuming those exclusives turn out good).

MS has been absolutely killing it. I don't know if it's the best system, but it's definitely the one I have the most fun using.

It really is amazing that Sony managed to get through a fall releasing nothing worth mentioning without spurning the fans. At least not to the degree I expected (it's why I sold my PS4).

Most multiple platform games I am steering towards xbox one for some reason now. Not sure what it is. I know the ps4 has faster gpu and can push more pixels but the xbox one has come along way. I was super anti ms/xbox after 2013 e3 debacle when I got my launch ps4 and have since then bought two xbox ones. Strange how quickly things change in this industry. I have nothing against the ps4 by the way most of my multiplayer games are played on ps4 with my friends. But I have grown fond of that big old black box. Maybe its the new elite controllers or the ui and multitasking on it seems smoother. I look forward to the next few years with the system. I am glad MS is turning it around. It would have been bad with just one go to system. Choice is a great thing.

RowdyReverb

This is all true. The console has much improved since launch.
Its biggest lingering problem is the number of indie games that are passing it by in favor of PC/PS4 releases. Maybe they hoped the Win10 OS would help ease the job of porting from PC to Xbox, but I haven't seen an uptick so far.

Third partys looking better is such a lame argument. The differences are hardly so drastic you wouldn't buyback console over it.

They practically look the same let's be real here.

My biggest problems with the Xbone and what are keeping me from buying it are as follows.

1) Horrible ad-filled UI.
2) Inferior hardware and thus inferior performance.
3) Lack of compelling exclusives.
4) Price to performance ratio.
5) Asymmetrical sticks.

It's getting harder and harder to justify owning multiple consoles (One of the Big 2 + Nintendo + PC is all you really need to experience almost everything). Microsoft's initial blunder was the final nail in their coffin this gen. So many people switched from 360 to PS4 or continued on from PS3 to PS4 that by the time the horror faded it was too late and the reasons for buying an Xbone when you already owned a PS4 were almost nonexistent.

I don't know what more I can say they've done nothing wrong this year and I'm positive the console as a whole will only get stronger.

It's just annoying a number of third party titles don't run as well as they do on the ps4, not sure what they can do about that apart from strengthen in other areas which they are doing.

Xbox One is my only console right now and I couldn't be happier.

Sure it isn't as powerful as the PS4, but that really shouldn't make any difference unless your enjoyment of games comes mostly from power. And if that's the case you'd more than likely be a pc Gamer anyway.

I love the console despite all the things gaffers tell me is wrong with it.

Why peoole have a need for their particular console choice to be the best is beyond me.

Every platform has pros and cons. Xbox One certainly has a list of cons. Play whatever you want.

My purchase has more than been worth it with all the hours I've gotten out of:

BF4
Killer instinct
Fallout 4
Gears UE
Titanfall
Mortal Kombat X

It's not perfect, but I'm happy with it.

It's not much of a mystery why people who buy only a single console want that one to "win". Winning means getting more games on that platform, better support, etc.

Dio

Banned
I don't think its the gamers that don't love xbox. It's japanese game developers.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-13-why-xbox-failed-in-japan

No wonder when the original Xbox's launch has tainted the brand for years to come. The used game market is an even bigger deal in Japan than the states - the fact that everyone started hearing about how the "Xbox scratches discs, don't buy it" and shit like this meeting with Shinji Mikami:

Eventually an exasperated Mikami boiled it down: 'what is your philosophy? Sony says games are entertainment, something larger, fuelled by the Emotion Engine. Nintendo says games are toys, created by the legendary Shigeru Miyamoto, perhaps the greatest game developer of all time. What do you feel?' Microsoft had no answer.

Game4life

Banned
That's interesting. I absolutely loathe my xbox one at the moment. The interface of the OS is a pain in the ass to use. Absolutely annoying and much slower than my ps4. Updating one of my controllers the other day bricked the controller for no reason. Just said experienced error and now the controller won't even power on. My day one controller rattles like a cheap toy. I'd give them a 3/10 for how satusfied I am with their product. It's garbage.

The only reason I turn it on anymore is killer instinct and halo 5. I'd buy another console but why reward Microsoft for selling a piece of shit to its day 1 customers.

This is harsh and exaggerated but I will agree on one thing. It is an absolute shoddy OS and is easily the worse of the two. It still blows my mind that a software company like MS release such a terrible OS like this. Also Snap functionality performance is ugghh. I still cant get youtube videos to run smoothly in snap mode with a game running.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
They have done a good job, considering the reveal and all the BS pre-release.

XB1 went from a console I would never buy, to a console I want to eventually buy for the exclusives when it's cheaper. I was looking to move on from Xbox after 2 broken 360's anyway.

Right now I have little reason to justify an XB1 purchase with a PS4 and a gaming PC.

Ricker

After having a 360 since launch and just getting a One 2 weeks ago,I have to say its pretty good,although the dashboard and all really needs some getting use to,compare to the familiar and quite simpler PS4 dash...no Kinect I guess makes it harder to navigate.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So Kotaku are cheerleading a console over another and feel aggrieved that it is not selling better?

How professional.

Haven't there basically always been articles like this? I mean, you could probably find a dozen of articles stating the exact same about the Wii-U in it's early life.

But yeah, Xbox One seems to have carved out it's niche and rectified most of the glaring issues. Not personally interested in the thing yet but more power to those who are. Good games are had by all.

Loxley

The X1 is definitely a very intriguing console for me, and the only reason I have yet to pick one up is because I'm awaiting the first redesign of the console Hopefully that'll land by holiday next year.

EthanC

Banned
PS4 is the smarter purchase and is the better console, no question. They fail to mention that all third-party games run better on PS4, so although you can play Battlefront on Xbox One, why would you?

There is also the network effect. People's circles likely own a PS4, so they'll get one too no matter what Xbox One has.

In addition, every decision in the past year is unsustainable and is only possible because of Microsofts warchest. The war is over, no doubt, and hopefully Microsoft think of a better contender in the next generation.

Those three franchises are releasing again in 2016 though so they're not helping themselves.

If your concern is that there's a platform that multiplats play better on, you wouldn't be a console gamer.

The X1 is definitely a very intriguing console for me, and the only reason I have yet to pick one up is because I'm awaiting the first redesign of the console Hopefully that'll land by holiday next year.

Same. I've bought the Xbox One on several occasions and always took it back due to hardware issues. Either the controller or the console itself. Only way I'll ever try again is if they redesign it.

Crzy1

I'll probably wind up buying one next year. Interested enough in Crackdown to want to play it when it comes out, also looking forward to Quantum Break. There are just too few IPs on the platform that I care about, the big ones they push like Halo and Gears just don't interest me that much and the multi-platform games I can get on systems I already own. The way they handled the 360 at the end of it's life turned me off and the way they announced the Xbox One made it clear that, at the time, they weren't interested in being just a gaming box.

I'm sure they've done a lot of things right, but there just isn't anything there right now that really makes me interested in it and with the PC space getting more and more releases (of varying quality), the lack of heavy hitting (for me) exclusives has kept me away from it.

Top Bottom