• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The State of the PS4 in 2015 [Kotaku]

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well that is a stark quote difference compared to the Xbox article. One reads like an ad, the other like constructive criticism, lol.

Auctopus

I've been fully enjoying mine (despite a very slim launch) but I'd really like more frequent firmware updates or at least more communication about why they can't implement new features. (No, not ID changes).

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Well that is a stark quote difference compared to the Xbox article. One reads like an ad, the other like constructive criticism, lol.

Yeah... Kinda.

Mind you, they're right. But the wording...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Weird to say that there aren't bold new directions in store for the PS4 given the fact they're diving in head first into VR in the very near future... especially because he mentioned it 2 sentences before he wrote that line.

eFKac

I love the agenda that is tried to be pushed how PS4 is such a disapointment while Xbone is a great console.

Meh, fortunately the market has spoken, and keeps speaking what it thinks about this.

Mine just died and I just play on PC now, I don't miss it very much but starting next year things will be way better for me gaming wise.

Good write-up. It's pretty much how I feel as well.

Weird to say that there aren't bold new directions in store for the PS4 given the fact they're diving in head first into VR in the very near future... especially because he mentioned it 2 sentences before he wrote that line.

PSVR is pretty much a new platform, though. It doesn't add to the PS4 unless you buy an expensive piece of hardware.

The variety of titles released on and announced for the PS4 is quite staggering. They've got practically every base covered - it's very impressive.

On Demand

Banned
I love the agenda that is tried to be pushed how PS4 is such a disapointment while Xbone is a great console.

Meh, fortunately the market has spoken, and keeps speaking what it thinks about this.

As i said in the other thread, you always root for the underdog. Things get exaggerated too.

GeoramA

Yeah, these are some head-scratching articles from Kotaku.

I mean you could open the article and read it? I pulled the last paragraph from the article because there wasn't a true summary. His primary point is that the console hasn't changed much since release and there isn't much to speak about. XBO has had wholesale changes while the PS4 has plugged along.

If you look at current-gen exclusives, the PS4 is disappointing. Xbox One has more and arguably better offerings this Christmas. And in terms of value...Xbox One has won that battle as well.

Pretty spot-on article. PS4 hasn't really changed in any appreciable way since the console that launched in November 2013, unlike the XB1.

SilentRob

"agenda"

Yes. Stephen Totilo and Kirk Hamilton have met beforehand and agreed on which agenda they wanted to push instead of, you know, writing down their opinion. That seems much easier.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Lol Kotaku, thanks for your transparent agenda.

Cant even seriously debate this when the bias in these articles is so blatant.

Fdkn

I knew on the inside that it was unexciting to play good videogames on a videogame console. Thanks kotaku for making me realize it.

Coxy100

Banned

I swear at times this site is like NeoPlaystation.

Sony can do no wrong on here - whereas it's always time for a good bashing of xbox.

eFKac

If you look at current-gen exclusives, the PS4 is disappointing. Xbox One has more and arguably better offerings this Christmas. And in terms of value...Xbox One has won that battle as well.

Xbone isn't disapointing?

It had like 0 exclusives for the first 8 months of this year. Are still gonna play the game that only the Holidays matter?

Raist

Banned
That bit in the xbox article is hilarious.

Sony’s been skipping around this year, barely releasing major new exclusives and enjoying all the positive word of mouth from beating the Xbox One out of the gate while coming out ahead in the quasi-perceptible graphics resolution debate.

Breakbeat

Banned
Since I threw a little shade in the Xbox sister topic, I think I have to be fair here and say that, while I love my PS4, it's true that Sony seems to be coasting a bit as far as system features go, at least in comparison to the XB1. However, that 2016 release schedule. Unf. Haven't been this excited since the days of the PS2. After being jaded and cynical out of gen 7, this really is a breath of fresh air.

Alx

Sony consoles have always felt too "safe", and as a consequence a bit boring. I'm considering getting one when Morpheus releases, though, that's the most exciting part of its roadmap. And also Sony's boldest move in a long time.

I don't want to be an instigator or anything, but compared to the Xbox One equivalent, this piece kinda reads like night and day lol. Totilo can't say enough good things, but this guy almost sounds resentful that the PS4 is doing as well as it is.

Complacent, arrogant Sony haven't done a thing since 2013, while humble and enterprising Microsoft have done all they can to please customers, and really deserves to be on top? LOL!

roblox

Banned
ITT: People being surprised at sponsored 'journalism' on Kotaku.

In all seriousness though, my consoles are largely media players at this point. Unless its a fighting game (excluding Melty Blood) I'm playing games on PC.

omonimo

Banned
Sony consoles have always felt too "safe", and as a consequence a bit boring. I'm considering getting one when Morpheus releases, though, that's the most exciting part of its roadmap. And also Sony's boldest move in a long time.
o_O what do you mean?

Pretty spot-on article. PS4 hasn't really changed in any appreciable way since the console that launched in November 2013, unlike the XB1.

Because it doesn't need to change. Sony wanted to create the best game machine of this gen. That's what they did. They don't need to change that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The PlayStation 4 of 2015 isn’t all that different from the PlayStation 4 Sony launched in 2013. It’s gotten a minor hardware update, but the box and controller look the same. Its operating system is largely unchanged, aside from a few small but welcome new OS features.

I don't really understand what they're getting at here. OS changes are very rare, the console design doesn't usually get changed within two years, and I can't think of any time a completely different controller came out, even the Elite is the same basic form.

Sjefen

"The PlayStation 4 is an unexciting video game console"

2BALvKW.gif

Top Bottom