• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo of America: 3DS is here to stay since it sold more than PS4/XB1 LTD combined

miku

QWv3pEO.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ntendo-and-the-surprising-success-of-the-3ds/

So far in 2015, sales of the family of Nintendo 3DS hardware in America are actually ahead of last year’s pace

Nintendo 3DS is here to stay. Let me throw out a number that might surprise you. So far, on a global basis, Nintendo 3DS has sold more hardware than PS4 and Xbox One—combined. Most people find this shocking.

Obviously we don’t deny the impact of smart devices on the gaming market. But it’s a mistake to consider this a zero-sum game. Clearly gaming on smart devices and gaming on Nintendo 3DS can happily coexist, to the benefit of all gamers. The fact is, playing games on two very different hardware platforms means options for two very different kinds of game play. The inclusion of multiple control buttons on Nintendo 3DS allows a much deeper and more sophisticated type of play.

It’s true that markets do vary, and population density on average is higher in Japan than in the west. But the social aspects of Nintendo 3DS are enjoyable anywhere. As you know, Nintendo has always placed a premium on developing titles that can be enjoyed by multiple players in the same room. And this kind of fun is amply evident in games like "Super Smash Bros.," "Mario Kart 7" and "The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes." But at the same time, we’ve seen strong results in online play with franchises like Mario Kart and Monster Hunter.

And social is a major component of our plans moving forward. As you know, our first mobile app for smart devices, called "Miitomo," is based on social interaction. We won’t have more to say about that until next year, but with more than 200 million Miis already created, there’s a unique opportunity for social interplay in a distinctly Nintendo fashion.

Tadale

Great! I hope they have a better software year in 2016. I think I only bought remakes this year - Xenoblade and Majora's Mask.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Well, its the best handheld on the market at the moment and the past few years. No surprise.

oti

Banned
So far, on a global basis, Nintendo 3DS has sold more hardware than PS4 and Xbox One—combined. Most people find this shocking.

I'm sorry, but how is this shocking?

RootCause

is it shocking though? Hasn't this alway been the case(most of the time), handheld selling more than consoles.

I need a new handheld. NX. :(

So far, on a global basis, Nintendo 3DS has sold more hardware than PS4 and Xbox One—combined. Most people find this shocking.

It's two years older than both of them, so what's really shocking about it?

ScOULaris

Pretty surprising considering how poorly it started. That being said, it has been out for a good year or more longer than both the PS4 and Xbone, hasn't it?

To me the 3DS is clearly inferior to the DS in terms of its library and its underwhelming tech/image quality in most games, but at this point is has built up enough of a library to have earned its sales.

oldmario

3DS (has like 5 different models and thousands of different editions) came out nearly 3 years (by like 2-3 months) before the PS4 and xbone...
but lets not brag about that reggie lets brag about the WiiUsales oh wait

I don't understand the comparison to the new gen systems

Shouldn't it be outselling those systems since its been on the market for 4+ years ?

Nere

Well obviously since the 3DS has been out for 4 years while Ps4 and XB1 have been out for 2 (except if he means this year but I don't think so). People doubt the 3DS and rightfully so because of the weak support Nintendo gives it. I love my 3DS but its glory days have passed, wish Nintendo supported it more with more games.

-MB-

3DS (has like 5 different models and thousands of different editions) came out nearly 3 years (by like 2-3 months) before the PS4 and xbone...
but lets not brag about that reggie lets brag about the WiiUsales oh wait

Uhh, this is Scott Motiff saying this, not Reggie.

Thread title and PR makes it sound like 3DS has sold more than XB1 and PS4 combined this year. Really sneaky wording from OP lol.

It's been out since March 2011. 2 years and 8 months longer than PS4 and Xbox One. It's not shocking that it has a higher install base. But it's not like Wii U sales are anything to celebrate so they need something I suppose.

Sterok

Cause it was out for over two years before the other two consoles. Not really that great a feat.

Still, it's still selling decently both hardware and software wise when it has something to sell. That's fine. I don't get why people obsess over Wii U numbers so much when Nintendo has a far more relevant platform, even in America.

Vorg

Banned
It's a follow up to one of the most successful handhelds ever. If anything, it should have sold a lot better. It's not really competing with the ps4 or Xbox one in any way. That's what the wiiu was for.

sora87

Shame there's literally nothing for me to play on it. Here's hoping Bravery Second comes to EU next year in a timely fashion.

-MB-

Well obviously since the 3DS has been out for 4 years while Ps4 and XB1 have been out for 2 (except if he means this year but I don't think so). People doubt the 3DS and rightfully so because of the weak support Nintendo gives it. I love my 3DS but its glory days have passed, wish Nintendo supported it more with more games.

Weak support? You gotta be kidding me, they release more on 3DS then Sony does on ps4.

Asd202

Didn't it come out like 2 years before those two? BTW what's 3DS sold through it may give us an indication how Xbone is doing.

Apathy

Yeah that's gotta be one of the dumbest pr lines I've read recently. Yeah let's not factor in time. By that logic the original gameboy beats them too and had sold over double the xbox one and ps4 combined.

Here to stay? I doubt, its 4 almost 5 years old. With a completely different market than which it launched. Let's compare tablet and smartphone sales over that time period.

Faustek

That the Wii U is tracking at the same pace as the Vita. Or wait this was about 3DS just wanted to throw this out since no one seems to pick up on the fact that Vita was at 10m last year.

stuminus3

Fluffy PR nonsense, but it is fair to say if you go back 4 years you'll easily find people who believed we'd be 100% mobile by now.

Are they taking about LTD or YTD? if its the former no surprises there as its a pretty successful handheld and have been out for longer then both console.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
A handheld outselling home consoles.....

No surprise there.

Actually it is because the 3DS is just shy of 3 years older than the PS4 and Xbox One. If it weren't it would not be outselling them.

You're thinking of a different era...

Kimawolf

Let's not kid ourselves, if it launched at the same time it would have sold more than both combined. We all know this.

The DS sold more than the PS3 and Xbox 360 and almost outsold both of them combined.

Top Bottom