• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold more games than Xbox Series X in Europe last year

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Tbh it's not shocking.
It sort of is - 3 years in PS3/360 active userbase shrunk so much it was not relevant at all anymore.
It shows either longeivity of last-gen (users staying active longer) or well - XSX doing really poorly, or some combination of both.

I wonder when Microsoft does go full 3rd party if Sony would still hold off on giving them a devkit.
I love how the fanboy gaming forum community thinks C-suite executives at billion dollar multinational conglomerates like Sony or MS give a shit about petty platform war bullshit.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
And people wonder why Xbox is contemplating opening up their titles to more platforms.

The more places people can play the games, the more successful their games will be. Simple as that. Low Xbox hardware sales are holding the whole platform back.

Mr Moose

Prolly should update the thread title then. It just says Series X
Yeah, the original article said only physical, they missed half of the quote they copied from gamesindustry.biz which also said digital.
In terms of platforms, PC was No.1 in terms of game sales, ahead of PS5 (No.2), Switch (No.3), PS4 (No.4) and Xbox Series S and X (No.5).

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Xbox fans on GAF sitting in the trenches, watching the never ending warfare against their platform.

scared war GIF
Omg I laughed so hard at this 🤣

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
More hours were played on PS4 than on PS5 last year as well. People forget that a lot of people can't afford to upgrade so quickly.

Three

Last edited:

Fake

More hours were played on PS4 than on PS5 last year as well. People forget that a lot of people can't afford to upgrade so quickly.

Not only that, but IMO PS5 have a low start in comparison with PS4.

PS4 did a great job with first party games.

I still playing on my PS4 because I can't afford too, but I not in haste to buy a PS5 even if I had money to get. Let people beta test until PS5 got a modest slim version.

Codes 208

It sort of is - 3 years in PS3/360 active userbase shrunk so much it was not relevant at all anymore.
It shows either longeivity of last-gen (users staying active longer) or well - XSX doing really poorly, or some combination of both.
The ps360 era didnt take two years to truly start due to a silicon shortage (or pandemic) however, and the ps4 still has one of the largest install bases in gaming versus a console with less than half that of its current gen competitor.

Last edited:
You've been around this hobby for a while. You know there isn't a sales thread where they've separated S and X sales, ever.
Well there's a first time for everything. I've personally seen physical game cases this generation specifically say Series X with no mention of S. And again, I didn't make the thread. Going forward maybe the threadmaking could be better? I dunno, I don't work here, just pointing out the error which begged the question.

Who cares about game sales?? The only important question is how many hours

Phillip W. Spencer III has invested in playing Starfield.​

trying-not-to-laugh-zoom-in.gif

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
What do people hope stories/stats/headlines/numbers/posts will achieve with posts like this?
Are Xbox fans supposed to see this and suddenly question their platform choice? Are you hoping to hasten the decline of the brand? I was going to play Forza Horizon today but you're right, fuck xbox. Is that what you people want to hear?
The people who play on xbox dont care about this crap. This, and shitty replies do nothing but fuel console wars and it feels like a desperate attempt to pat yourself on the back to justify your own biases. These replies are nothing more than a group self-suck/circle jerk.

Suddenly? They should’ve questioned Microsoft a long time ago. Now they see the brand is dying and part of it, it’s the fanbase their own fault.

Three

I love how the fanboy gaming forum community thinks C-suite executives at billion dollar multinational conglomerates like Sony or MS give a shit about petty platform war bullshit.
No, he has an actual point:

"We simply could not run the risk of a company that was owned by our direct competitor having access to that information"

His point is now that they are like EA or Ubisoft would they refrain from sending them a devkit with the fear that they would know specs.

It's not about being petty.

Sony has already said that ABK won't be able to get a devkit going forward. So it does beg the question a conversation would likely need to take place in order for Sony to allow them to get devkits, knowing they can at any time re-enter the market.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The ps360 era didnt take two years to truly start due to a silicon shortage (or pandemic) however, and the ps4 still has one of the largest install bases in gaming versus a console with less than half that of its current gen competitor.
PS360 had install base of 170M at the same (relative) point in time. It died off quick, but not because of lack of total userbase, people simply didn't stick with it.
And time-aligned PS5/XSX are both relatively close to their predecessors 3 years in - the factors here are clearly not in the userbase numbers, people remaining active on PS4 is a longer tail than common.

bender

What time is it?
Pretty sure PS5 as the data from the leak was by console not by game platform.

Thanks. I'd love to see the data on that as it would probably further cement the idea of cross-generation is here to stay unless another major architectural shift happens.

Three

PS360 had install base of 170M at the same (relative) point in time. It died off quick, but not because of lack of total userbase, people simply didn't stick with it.
And time-aligned PS5/XSX are both relatively close to their predecessors 3 years in - the factors here are clearly not in the userbase numbers, people remaining active on PS4 is a longer tail than common.
Time aligned PS4 and PS5 are close but Xbox Series has fallen behind XB1.

The longer tail is because publishers with GaaS and in particular MS and their strategy has diluted what a generation is. People spend time playing long running live service games now that are from prior generations or f2p games. Games like Fortnite, GTA5, Minecraft, SoT, Destiny, Apex, Roblox, etc. Those people put in hours on previous gen hardware but see little reason for a new generation. Actual game sales, particularly non-GaaS tend to be on new gen hardware and that shift isn't really longer, xbox is the outlier here.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Thanks. I'd love to see the data on that as it would probably further cement the idea of cross-generation is here to stay unless another major architectural shift happens.
I guess the latest data was from Feb 2023 so PS5 may have caught and passed the PS4 by the end of the year, but likely not quick enough to win out across the entire year.
Feb 2023 - 3.6 billion total hours
34.9million x 44.4 - 1.55 billion PS5, 2.05 billion PS4.
And that's with a PS4 data lag.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I guess the latest data was from Feb 2023 so PS5 may have caught and passed the PS4 by the end of the year, but likely not quick enough to win out across the entire year.

Sorry, I believed your earlier posts. I was more talking about data that showed the amount of non-PS5 games played on PS5. Excuse the rambling.

yazenov

This again? Xbox is doing badly, we know this already. We also already know digital makes up by far the largest part of their sales. No need to make up some narrative.
You mean the console that does up to 80% sales digitally is recorded selling less physical only media?

You wish it was only counting physical media so you could dismiss the data as usual. It includes digital sales as well.

So now that we got this out of the way, what are your thoughts on this now that it includes digital?

Last edited:

Three

And that's with a PS4 data lag.
What do you mean by PS4 data lag? You can use the top graphs Feb 23 and minus the Feb 23 PS5 number it would be 2.1B for PS4. What's the data lag?

Last edited:

yazenov

No, the OP originally specified only physical.

Alright, but now that you know its included both physical and digital, I'm curious to hear your opinion on the subject instead of your usual dismissal of the data. What are your thoughts about the PS4 selling more games than the XBS? :p

bender

What time is it?
Yes, I imagine they would be better if there wasn't an option for long-term renting....

MS taught its users to never buy games, this is the result...

Anecdotal but I've had my Series X since the December after it launched. I've purchased three games: Flight Sim, Forza Horizon 5, and Dead Space Deluxe since it was stupid cheap over the holidays ($8.99). The effect goes beyond Xbox as I purchased Remnant 2 on PlayStatoin and quickly regretted it as it surprised dropped on Game Pass later that year. I often ask myself before making purchases these days if I should just wait a few months to see if it appears on that catalogue. This is doubly true of indie games.

GHG

Yes, I imagine they would be better if there wasn't an option for long-term renting....

MS taught its users to never buy games, this is the result...

The thing that I really don't understand is what their long term plan was supposed to be here. This is what I said back last April:

I've noted it before but as a business they have exhibited some of the most bizarre behaviour over the last couple of years.

The combination of targeting/chasing customers who don't have money and then encouraging those already in your ecosystem to not spend money (Microsoft rewards etc) will inevitably result in the numbers that we are now seeing on a more frequent basis. It reeks of desperation but I really don't get what their long term plan is with all of this.

Even if they successfully gained market share via this methodology, how do you eventually extract money from those who don't have money (and will likely never have money because of the fact that you're giving them a cheap/free avenue to spending time playing games 24/7 for a lifetime)? How do you change your customers spending habits/mentalities when all you've ever promoted is everything around them not spending money?

We are now in 2024 and things are worse now than they were then. Much worse.

Look at what happened when they attempted to neuter the Microsoft rewards programme, some people were threatening to leave the ecosystem ffs. They are fucked.

It's got to the point where the CFO and CEO are saying "fuck this, let's start going where the people who do spend money are".

Killjoy-NL

Anecdotal but I've had my Series X since the December after it launched. I've purchased three games: Flight Sim, Forza Horizon 5, and Dead Space Deluxe since it was stupid cheap over the holidays ($8.99). The effect goes beyond Xbox as I purchased Remnant 2 on PlayStatoin and quickly regretted it as it surprised dropped on Game Pass later that year. I often ask myself before making purchases these days if I should just wait a few months to see if it appears on that catalogue. This is doubly true of indie games.
Now imagine GamePass on Playstation. Best of both worlds and you'd only need one console.

bender

What time is it?
Now imagine GamePass on Playstation. Best of both worlds and you'd only need one console.

PlayStation already has a Game Pass alternative and I do think we will see a service like EA Play for MGS titles eventually, maybe even branded Game Pass.

Top Bottom