• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Some European retailers will no longer be stocking physical Xbox games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
xbox-series-consoles-1440x810.jpg

Several European retailers are reportedly no longer stocking physical Xbox games.
That’s according to GamesIndustry.biz’s Christopher Dring, who said on the Games Industry Microcast that he’d heard that sales of physical games for the console are so low that retailers have decided to stop stocking the products.

“I got told by a major publisher just before Christmas, that across Europe, several retailers have started not listing Xbox anymore,” said Dring.

“So they’ve just started not stocking Xbox games anymore, Xbox is such a digital console, the physical performance of games is really low, and ultimately when you’re selling a console that most people are just downloading games for, it doesn’t really benefit the retailer very much.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Just curious...don't most stores make the most money from selling software? Won't this discourage some of these retailers to even stock Xbox hardware?
I worked at a small store and we made barely anything from new game sales. This is why places like Gamestop prefer used. Gamestop will probably still Xboxes even with an interest in physical games. They sell phones and funko pops too. Wal mart and other retailers will have just as much incentive to stock Xboxes as any other item that doesn't have additional revenue streams for them, like Quest, Roku, TVs, towels, toasters, laundry baskets, and on and on. Wal Mart has a whole case for Quest headsets and no one gave a shit about this concern. Quest is handily outselling PSVR2 and it has no retail presence for games. Somehow people still managed to find out and hear about it.

Last edited:
Just curious...don't most stores make the most money from selling software? Won't this discourage some of these retailers to even stock Xbox hardware?
The smallish shops I visit have had any Xbox stuff stocked the last time with 360 games and hw. Only PS, switch and even still PC. Afaik only the biggest shops have Xbox shelves.
But even with the stocked stuff, the shift to practically only selling the most recent releases happened. In the past I have bought a ton of 5 or even less bucks games, now they seem to only offer 30 upwards. Used games shops are the bargain bin replacement I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom