• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Dring at GDC: Xbox sales flatlining in Europe, majority of Xbox games coming to PS5 at some point, MS putting less focus on GamePass

BigLee74

"Dog piling" when are you going to realize there's a REASON why you perceive this that way?

Until the cancer that is current day Xbox leadership is excised, until people don't feel burned by buying a Series X, until Phil Spencer is removed and they get their act together and start focusing on Xbox owners there are going to be a lot of us who will continue to heavily criticize MS.

Dog piling in your mind is some kind of "hidden agenda" or "hating" without good reason when the reality is this is one of the only forums where people call out companies without holding back. Yes there are fanboys here but the vast majority of criticism towards ANY company (and I see Sony get flak too when deserved) is coming from fans or people who have bought an Xbox and feel burned. That's where the passion to actually get angry enough to be felt by others comes from! That's the problem with a lot of Xbox fanboys here. They always default to this "stop dogpiling on (insert xbox/phil/ms)" line of defense.

There is no real defense anymore for the damage MS has done to Xbox and even the industry at large anymore. We're seeing too many things collapsing right in front of us this year, so as long as people ignore how terrible Phil Spencer is and how damaging MS business decisions (like sparking massive consolidation, pushing subscriptions at the expense of game quality and axing once great programs like Back Compat) then that anger is going to keep being felt.

MS has managed to kill Halo, force CrossPlay into multiplayer games, they've sparked Sony to pivot as well towards the PC at the EXPENSE of the Playstation, MS has been dishonest with trailers and marketing material as seen with Redfall and Forza, they've promoted wokeness in the industry etc etc and some people still want to pretend that Phil Spencer isn't a problem.

‘Dog piling in my mind is some kind of hidden agenda…’.

Stopped reading there.

I was on about dog piling on an individual poster, not MS 😂 Hope you found your post a cathartic release though!

Edit: So I did finish your post, seeing as you took the time to write it. Some good points, a shit ton of hyperbole, but most of all I completely disagree that the majority of the flak and criticism towards MS is coming from folk who bought an Xbox and feel burned. I think most folk that bought an Xbox are very happy with their purchase and the games that have been made available to them over the years (barren 1st party years aside).

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
"Dog piling" when are you going to realize there's a REASON why you perceive this that way?

Until the cancer that is current day Xbox leadership is excised, until people don't feel burned by buying a Series X, until Phil Spencer is removed and they get their act together and start focusing on Xbox owners there are going to be a lot of us who will continue to heavily criticize MS.

Dog piling in your mind is some kind of "hidden agenda" or "hating" without good reason when the reality is this is one of the only forums where people call out companies without holding back. Yes there are fanboys here but the vast majority of criticism towards ANY company (and I see Sony get flak too when deserved) is coming from fans or people who have bought an Xbox and feel burned. That's where the passion to actually get angry enough to be felt by others comes from! That's the problem with a lot of Xbox fanboys here. They always default to this "stop dogpiling on (insert xbox/phil/ms)" line of defense.

There is no real defense anymore for the damage MS has done to Xbox and even the industry at large anymore. We're seeing too many things collapsing right in front of us this year, so as long as people ignore how terrible Phil Spencer is and how damaging MS business decisions (like sparking massive consolidation, pushing subscriptions at the expense of game quality and axing once great programs like Back Compat) then that anger is going to keep being felt.

MS has managed to kill Halo, force CrossPlay into multiplayer games, they've sparked Sony to pivot as well towards the PC at the EXPENSE of the Playstation, MS has been dishonest with trailers and marketing material as seen with Redfall and Forza, they've promoted wokeness in the industry etc etc and some people still want to pretend that Phil Spencer isn't a problem.

Holy shit, you managed to make this entire post blame MS and Phil Spencer for the current state of the games industry and even why Sony is pivoting to pc at the expense of playstation.....

Top tier stuff

Oh and the series x is a dope console, I do not regret owning two of them in the slightest.

Last edited:
Why get a console when you can get a PC or Steam deck. Get all games on 1platform the most consumer friendly platform with the cheapest game prices and actual endless backwards compatibility even with consoles (emulation).
Maybe that would be good thing, if more gamers went to pc, we would start getting PlayStation exclusives again without the stupid pc ports.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that the number of GamePass subscribers would have noticeably declined in the last 2 years if it was not for Starfield and Forza?

Of course, there was tons of people even on gaf that kept thier subs around for these games. What else drives subs other than the most anticipated games? Very few are subbed for fire watch and tetris effect. (Even if those are great gems to be found)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Sony fans are actually prone to overreact a bit, but it's part of the reason why PlayStation is on the top, it's always feeling the heat.

You Dont Say Stand Up GIF

StereoVsn

More importantly, i expect that a successor to Series X is no longer in development. There will not be a next gen Xbox console.
There might be an attempt to release future machines that can run current Xbox Series titles, which may or may not be portable. But I don't expect any more money to develop next gen hardware.
Dunno, I have a feeling they will take another swing at this, maybe by having a custom PC they can run Xbox games, maybe outsourcing hardware to 3rd party or who knows what.

It’s going to be interesting to see. Whatever it’s going to be, there won’t be a physical drive though unfortunately. I will keep my XSX for BC for the foreseeable future. May snag a backup when I catch one in a decent sale (refurb or gently used could work too) for about $250-300.

THE DUCK

Dunno, I have a feeling they will take another swing at this, maybe by having a custom PC they can run Xbox games, maybe outsourcing hardware to 3rd party or who knows what.

It’s going to be interesting to see. Whatever it’s going to be, there won’t be a physical drive though unfortunately. I will keep my XSX for BC for the foreseeable future. May snag a backup when I catch one in a decent sale (refurb or gently used could work too) for about $250-300.

I agree with this, it seems unlikely that MS steps fully away from hardware. Some sort of partnership or mobile hybrid is possible.

I think more likely than a PC double boot would be a PC with some sort of Xbox PC designation/blessing. Bring out a powerfull small form factor PC with a steam deck like interface, leave behing the xbox ecosystem for PC power users. Maybe even partner with valve on this.
At the same time then you launch a hybrid xbox dedicated hybrid for the masses that easily hooks to a TV that does dual duty of portable and console. (again, leaving the "high end" to pc gaming)
Keeps them in the casual console picture and with only one skew and pc to deal with then.

Although personally I'd like to see another "more powerfull" console, I do see waning motivation on sales front vs Sony. More competition is good for all of us.

I agree with this, it seems unlikely that MS steps fully away from hardware. Some sort of partnership or mobile hybrid is possible.

I think more likely than a PC double boot would be a PC with some sort of Xbox PC designation/blessing. Bring out a powerfull small form factor PC with a steam deck like interface, leave behing the xbox ecosystem for PC power users. Maybe even partner with valve on this.
At the same time then you launch a hybrid xbox dedicated hybrid for the masses that easily hooks to a TV that does dual duty of portable and console. (again, leaving the "high end" to pc gaming)
Keeps them in the casual console picture and with only one skew and pc to deal with then.

Although personally I'd like to see another "more powerfull" console, I do see waning motivation on sales front vs Sony. More competition is good for all of us.
You are forgetting that you are abandoning the traditional console model, which means you had to sell the hardware for a profit.

Xbox is already a PC with locked down walled gardens. Removing the walled garden just means it has to be sold at PC prices.

And if you are abandoning high end, you are doing what I just said; no more next gen Xbox, just continued maintenance of the current Xbox Series as it dies down.

THE DUCK

You are forgetting that you are abandoning the traditional console model, which means you had to sell the hardware for a profit.

Xbox is already a PC with locked down walled gardens. Removing the walled garden just means it has to be sold at PC prices.

And if you are abandoning high end, you are doing what I just said; no more next gen Xbox, just continued maintenance of the current Xbox Series as it dies down.

Well ms has a vested interest in maintaining mainstream pc as the defacto place for pc gaming, so they still have that motivation plus a larger pc market means potentially more pc game sales, if they keep thier own launcher even more so. And maybe they don't sell at a loss, but a break even point. It's also another opportunity to send a sign up for gamepass screen at you.
It's also a device they can advertise as upgradeable.

I dont think they will do this in a vacuum though, I don't think they will walk away from mainstream console gaming, they will still release something.

hd remake GIF

MS is responsible for wokeness in the industry and everything Sony does as well? Is there anything wrong with the world that you don’t blame MS for? 😆

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

This is interesting. I guess the end of the clip is a slip up. He says Ultimately, there isnt that many games out there, we can support it.

Does he mean there isnt that many games out so we CANT Support it, or we can?

Bit confusing.

Pelta88

I'd love an explanation as to what makes me a "fanboy"? There mere act of saying anything positive about Xbox?

I think his issue is with those who refuse to be critical while Phil debased the brand. And presided over the collapse of the platform in terms of sales, market share, and most importantly, mindshare.

Those who placed elevating the empty suit that is Phil Spencer instead of asking why a division of the most wealthy company on earth has consistently failed at delivering their mandate of creating games that push this hobby forward.

Exhibiting blind devotion. Right up until the day the Phil pulled back the curtain on the catastrophe that is his management… Then bent the knee to SIE in terms of exclusives.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

I think his issue is with those who refuse to be critical while Phil debased the brand. And presided over the collapse of the platform in terms of sales, market share, and most importantly, mindshare.

Those who placed elevating the empty suit that is Phil Spencer instead of asking why a division of the most wealthy company on earth has consistently failed at delivering their mandate of creating games that push this hobby forward.

Exhibiting blind devotion. Right up until the day the Phil pulled back the curtain on the catastrophe that is his management… Then bent the knee to SIE in terms of exclusives.

I'm sure there are those who do this, I am not one of them. Of course they have done lots of things wrong. But people keep running into threads saying games like forza motorsport are garbage, Halo is garbage, etc when all metrics point to that not being true.

And there is no blind devotion here, I'm a multi console gamer who wants competition to continue. A Nintendo / Sony console space is not in the best interest of gamers.

Killjoy-NL

Holy shit, you managed to make this entire post blame MS and Phil Spencer for the current state of the games industry and even why Sony is pivoting to pc at the expense of playstation.....

Top tier stuff

Oh and the series x is a dope console, I do not regret owning two of them in the slightest.
At the expense of Playstation?

StereoVsn

They could try Switch model and work with 3rd party on higher end hardware. ASUS could make “Xbox” PCs as an example.

StereoVsn

I'm sure there are those who do this, I am not one of them. Of course they have done lots of things wrong. But people keep running into threads saying games like forza motorsport are garbage, Halo is garbage, etc when all metrics point to that not being true.

And there is no blind devotion here, I'm a multi console gamer who wants competition to continue. A Nintendo / Sony console space is not in the best interest of gamers.
I will disagree on Forza. It’s hugely disappointing. And I did like previous entrees and Horizons games.

StereoVsn

Disappointing? Flawed? I can live with that. Garbage? Not so much.
To me it’s garbage just because they squandered so many years of dev and came up with the crap they released. Even the driving model isn’t much improved and wheel support is still meh.

Forza is fucking trashtastic garbo. What metric points to not being true? The locking to 60fps they implemented even on PC, regardless of headroom? Maybe that's ok for casuals that can't tell the difference between Need for Speed and Iracing, but some people are more sofisticated than that. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Woopah

This is interesting. I guess the end of the clip is a slip up. He says Ultimately, there isnt that many games out there, we can support it.

Does he mean there isnt that many games out so we CANT Support it, or we can?

Bit confusing.
I think he's saying that Xbox isn't taking up too much shelf space, so they'll keep dedicating part of it to Xbox games.

TrippleA345

Forza has also been excellent, Forza Horizon 5 fully delivered, and motorsport is still a fantastic game even if it's not perfect.
The metascores flush this out.
FM wasn't a flop at all, they had large engagment via gamepass, which was expected. These games are expected to drive gamepass subs, something you can't see or measure. For all you know, MS would have 3 million less subs without this game.
You have zero access to the figures. They aren't being closed down at all, the game was well reviewed and received generally.

For those who are still somehow defending Xbox. This is a Youtube channel that mainly deals with Forza. Here he shows how catastrophically bad the game is, and that after half a year (By faaaar not everything). Complete incompetence on all levels at Xbox and the entire leadership. Boyyyyyy and people still think they know anything about technology, be it hardware, software or even game development. They definitely have engineers who have a clue, are not listened to at all and are degraded as second class, because if you listened to the REAL engineers with REAL education and REAL scientific/technological background, their systems and games would look very different.
But heyyyyy enjoy the pure shit from these idiots.

Top Bottom