• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chris Dring at GDC: Xbox sales flatlining in Europe, majority of Xbox games coming to PS5 at some point, MS putting less focus on GamePass

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No, you didn't expect it to sell anything. Microsoft didn't put the game on Steam for shits and giggles, but to sell it. Millions on PC don't want or have gamepass and buy their games instead.

Putting a game on steam when you are already releasing it on the windows xbox store takes about 8 seconds, so after the first two copies it's all gravy. We all know steam users won't spend $70 on a new game, so there's that too.

Yes, you have explained it's a more popular game, I agree. But it's 30 times more popular, that is an astonishing amount for a game that just came out and is gaas vs a game that is three years old. An objective person such as yourself, should ponder that difference for a bit.

The only way to even remotely properly compare these would be if they sold for the same price from day one, and you snapshot number of users at the same time period.

Wait, does that mean that you expected Horizon 5 to sell on steam...despite being on gamepass? That's quite interesting.

For mutiple reasons, yes: Way broader appeal, better game, better graphics, sold for cheaper, and less people on gamepass at that point.

Yeah, I'm not even gonna try and make sense of your Mcdonalds analogy, just don't. Say what you want to say about the topic at hand, not weird roundabout examples about planes, cars or fastfood restaurants. As I explained (which you disregarded since it doesn't fit your narrative, heh) :

"Steam might not be the platform where the game sells most, but it's always a good indication of a game's overall health in a smaller scale. Horizon 5 might be on gamepass and sell most on xbox, but its numbers on steam are also very positive. If a game failed on steam, it probably didn't do well anywhere else either."

Oranges and apples.......

GHG

This board is full of Sony shills with short temper. Posts that evidence one or another mental deficiency therefore shouldn't surprise anyone.

Nah, this is what "mental deficiency" looks like:

I have about 500 games in the Microsoft Store, 20 in the Epic Games Store, 30 on GOG and 5 games on Steam.

Jason Sudeikis Shrug GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

THE DUCK

Imagine getting such a bad reputation as a fanboy/shill that you need to request a forum name change, but then later you want to pretend to be some fake neutral "realgamer™".

Fran Healy Laughing GIF by Travis

Imagine being a gaf member so detached from reality they make up stuff in thier head and post about people being fake when they really know nothing at all. Depths of boredom I guess.

GHG

Imagine being a gaf member so detached from reality they make up stuff in thier head and post about people being fake when they really know nothing at all. Depths of boredom I guess.

Ok dvdvideo.

From a bird brain's perspective this could be true.

Well shit, 99.9% of PC gamers are bird brains indeed.

Clearly yet to see the light that enables one to even contemplate amassing a game library on the Microsoft Store instead of the other available options.

Skifi28

We all know steam users won't spend $70 on a new game, so there's that too.
On Forza no by the looks of things, hence the game flopping. In case you didn't notice though, many new games reach the top of the charts at full price.

The only way to even remotely properly compare these would be if they sold for the same price from day one, and you snapshot number of users at the same time period.
We don't need users on the same period, we already know that Horizon has more users after 3 years than Motorsport after 6 months as I've explained 20 times. Concurrent users drop as time goes by, they don't increase.

For mutiple reasons, yes: Way broader appeal, better game, better graphics, sold for cheaper, and less people on gamepass at that point.

But someone above already compared gamepass subscribers from then till now and they haven't really changed. Either people don't buy games on steam when they're on gamepass or they do, You can't have things apply only on a single game to fit your narrative.

Oranges and apples.......
And fastfood restaurants....

BigLee74

That's retarded. If you people didn't screw up so much, things would be better for you.

As the saying goes "embrace the suck".
And what does ‘you people’ mean? What have I screwed up exactly? Thought I was doing quite well with my lot, but looks like you know better 😂

Edit: Thanks for proving my point though. Caught another!

Last edited:
And what does ‘you people’ mean? What have I screwed up exactly? Thought I was doing quite well with my lot, but looks like you know better 😂

Edit: Thanks for proving my point though. Caught another!

Nah I just love messing with people every once in a while. Good 🐕.

odhiex

Diablo IV is now available via Xbox Gamepass. Will we see Microsoft's announcement on the engagement numbers this weekend?

What would be its impact on new subscribers? I guess we shall wait for the next month report.

And that in a nutshell shows the imaturity of many people on this board, say anything positive about MS and you are a shill. Sad position really, maybe grow up a little.

This board is full of Sony shills with short temper. Posts that evidence one or another mental deficiency therefore shouldn't surprise anyone.

Take any thread with MS or Xbox in the title, throw a towel over it, and you’ve captured yourself a load of blue roaches. It’s almost a sport.

q953qIW.gif

THE DUCK

Ok dvdvideo.

Well shit, 99.9% of PC gamers are bird brains indeed.

Clearly yet to see the light that enables one to even contemplate amassing a game library on the Microsoft Store instead of the other available options.

The name change was from a silly name I literally used for forever, and I announced it publicly and hid nothing. Try harder.

This circles back to the lame posters who automatically declare anyone who posts pro ms anything in this board as an ms shill who couldn't possibly be a neutral gamer. It's old and tired, and literally 20 or 30 good member posters left due to this crap, they just got tired of it.

Last edited:

Unknown?

Only a person who is completely jaded or biased would call a polished game with an 84 metascore and a 73 consumer score trash. You lose all credibility even if you had a shred of a valid point. That's just 2 points off Spiderman, and 3 from gt7. (Which by the way gets a 2.4 from consumers) Get real.
He's right though.

THE DUCK

On Forza no by the looks of things, hence the game flopping. In case you didn't notice though, many new games reach the top of the charts at full price.

We don't need users on the same period, we already know that Horizon has more users after 3 years than Motorsport after 6 months as I've explained 20 times. Concurrent users drop as time goes by, they don't increase.

But someone above already compared gamepass subscribers from then till now and they haven't really changed. Either people don't buy games on steam when they're on gamepass or they do, You can't have things apply only on a single game to fit your narrative.

And fastfood restaurants....

You do realize gamepass subs could have gone down, and that it requires actual games to be released for people to want to stay subbed? Your thesis involves games on gamepass not affecting subs simple because the total subs didn't grow, which is highly flawed. How many do you think they would have reported without forza and starfied releasing at all? Even a child would tell you millions less.

But I give up, you've decided, based on completely flawed metrics, its failed. Ok.

You do realize gamepass subs could have gone down, and that it requires actual games to be released for people to want to stay subbed? Your thesis involves games on gamepass not affecting subs simple because the total subs didn't grow, which is highly flawed. How many do you think they would have reported without forza and starfied releasing at all? Even a child would tell you millions less.

But I give up, you've decided, based on completely flawed metrics, its failed. Ok.
Facts or opinions on the industry have to be cross checked and released to the media by Sony executives before a lot of people here will take it seriously.

Just look at the embarrassing 180 on GaaS 🤭

Last edited:

Sgt.Asher

I agree with this in spirity, but to test the waters again I built my first "dedicated" gaming PC a couple of weeks ago, just to see how I like it hooked to the TV. In the past, it's lack of plug and play drove me nuts, time to try it again. First question I have to tackle is can I wake it from sleep with a controller without a ton of effort........
I have an 8bitdo pro controller that is fantastic for pc, not sure about coming out of sleep( I turn my pc off). I use steam big picture mode which opens with two button presses.
I don't have many issues with big picture it works for what I need.

I'm not even sure what's the discussion here anymore

At the end of the day, Xbox brand is dead. The next 2 years, 2024 and 2025, will be a massacre for them
More importantly, i expect that a successor to Series X is no longer in development. There will not be a next gen Xbox console.
There might be an attempt to release future machines that can run current Xbox Series titles, which may or may not be portable. But I don't expect any more money to develop next gen hardware.

reinking

Gold Member
This circles back to the lame posters who automatically declare anyone who posts pro ms anything in this board as an ms shill who couldn't possibly be a neutral gamer. It's old and tired, and literally 20 or 30 good member posters left due to this crap, they just got tired of it.

homer simpson episode 24 GIF

GHG

The name change was from a silly name I literally used for forever, and I announced it publicly and hid nothing. Try harder.

IMG_5578.jpg

It's amazing they had all the money in the world but still fucked it all up.
If you give me infinite money and told me to build a game console ecosystem, I would probably fuck it up.
Money is just one part of the equation for success. It is important but you can't rely on it.

Although another issue is that i am not sure anyone in the company had any idea how console gaming truly worked. Spencer had been touted as a savior but at this point there are doubts that he knows much about gaming; are we sure he isn't just a marketeer who pretends he is a gamer?
Clearly, what a game platform need to be able to do, is to be able to distinguish a good game from a bad one. This is not easy, especially since there is no hard and fast rule. And for whatever reason, Xbox managers couldn't tell the difference for far too long.

Nydius

Take any thread with MS or Xbox in the title, throw a towel over it, and you’ve captured yourself a load of blue roaches. It’s almost a sport.

“Blue roaches”? That’s the best you could come up with? I suppose, in that case, let me fix your post to be more accurate:

Take any thread with MS or Xbox in the titles throw a towel over it, and you’ve captured yourself a bunch of green rats who, despite being presented with objective sales and subscription figures, continue to make up complete bullshit with no supporting evidence to justify their delusion. It’s almost a sport.

Killjoy-NL

Facts or opinions on the industry have to be cross checked and released to the media by Sony executives before a lot of people here will take it seriously.

Just look at the embarrassing 180 on GaaS 🤭
What 180 on GaaS?

Jim Ryan already stated they didn’t expect all titles to be a success, so canceling 2 or 3 is something they took into consideration already.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Fanboys like THE DUCK is the reason why Xbox is in the gutter.

Why do you need to have actual standarts when you can call out people on semantics of a failed games or consoles. And that's the problem with active part of Xbox community, they just don't demand better from Xbox. And Phil is totally fine with sheeple crowd like that.

BigLee74

“Blue roaches”? That’s the best you could come up with? I suppose, in that case, let me fix your post to be more accurate:
Can’t take any credit for it, unfortunately. Which I’m sad about because it’s so perfect! 😉

Edit before you get your frilly lace panties in a twist. Discuss topic at hand all you wish, I have no strong feelings either way for either company (other than I do prefer FPSs so gravitated to Xbox over the last 2 gens). I’m more on about the obvious dog piling, this forums weak point by far.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Can’t take any credit for it, unfortunately. Which I’m sad about because it’s so perfect! 😉

Edit before you get your frilly lace panties in a twist. Discuss topic at hand all you wish, I have no strong feelings either way for either company (other than I do prefer FPSs so gravitated to Xbox over the last 2 gens). I’m more on about the obvious dog piling, this forums weak point by far.
3o7qDK5J5Uerg3atJ6.webp

THE DUCK

I have an 8bitdo pro controller that is fantastic for pc, not sure about coming out of sleep( I turn my pc off). I use steam big picture mode which opens with two button presses.
I don't have many issues with big picture it works for what I need.

I am going to give it a try. Hopefully it's smooth, but an example of things that seems to creep up. Installed a game, went to launch it, window pops up saying its trying to connect to internet, but it's behind I can't use the control to click ok or cancel. Forced to grab the keyboard/mouse combo to get it away.
In the past these kinds of annoyances were too many too often, hoping there is less of them now. I do have steam picture mode enabled and auto boot.

THE DUCK

Fanboys like THE DUCK is the reason why Xbox is in the gutter.

Why do you need to have actual standarts when you can call out people on semantics of a failed games or consoles. And that's the problem with active part of Xbox community, they just don't demand better from Xbox. And Phil is totally fine with sheeple crowd like that.

I'd love an explanation as to what makes me a "fanboy"? There mere act of saying anything positive about Xbox? I can't see good things in what they have done without being a rabid blinded person? Wow.

And really that has zero to do with xbox problems even if I was, that a weak grasp.
Steeple? There's tons on every system, most of them.dont even post on gaf.

"Dog piling" when are you going to realize there's a REASON why you perceive this that way?

Until the cancer that is current day Xbox leadership is excised, until people don't feel burned by buying a Series X, until Phil Spencer is removed and they get their act together and start focusing on Xbox owners there are going to be a lot of us who will continue to heavily criticize MS.

Dog piling in your mind is some kind of "hidden agenda" or "hating" without good reason when the reality is this is one of the only forums where people call out companies without holding back. Yes there are fanboys here but the vast majority of criticism towards ANY company (and I see Sony get flak too when deserved) is coming from fans or people who have bought an Xbox and feel burned. That's where the passion to actually get angry enough to be felt by others comes from! That's the problem with a lot of Xbox fanboys here. They always default to this "stop dogpiling on (insert xbox/phil/ms)" line of defense.

There is no real defense anymore for the damage MS has done to Xbox and even the industry at large anymore. We're seeing too many things collapsing right in front of us this year, so as long as people ignore how terrible Phil Spencer is and how damaging MS business decisions (like sparking massive consolidation, pushing subscriptions at the expense of game quality and axing once great programs like Back Compat) then that anger is going to keep being felt.

MS has managed to kill Halo, force CrossPlay into multiplayer games, they've sparked Sony to pivot as well towards the PC at the EXPENSE of the Playstation, MS has been dishonest with trailers and marketing material as seen with Redfall and Forza, they've promoted wokeness in the industry etc etc and some people still want to pretend that Phil Spencer isn't a problem.

Last edited:
If you give me infinite money and told me to build a game console ecosystem, I would probably fuck it up.
Money is just one part of the equation for success. It is important but you can't rely on it.

Although another issue is that i am not sure anyone in the company had any idea how console gaming truly worked. Spencer had been touted as a savior but at this point there are doubts that he knows much about gaming; are we sure he isn't just a marketeer who pretends he is a gamer?
Clearly, what a game platform need to be able to do, is to be able to distinguish a good game from a bad one. This is not easy, especially since there is no hard and fast rule. And for whatever reason, Xbox managers couldn't tell the difference for far too long.
The people responsible for the original Xbox knew something. KOTOR, MGS2, Halo, Ninja Gaiden, Shenmue 2.

Woopah

So with.your amazing insight, you know how many subs they would have had without starfeild and force? You can bet your ass it would be less. So go ahead, measure it for me Nostradamus.

But go ahead, live in fantasy and say those two games affected gamepass in no way whatsoever.
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying that the number of GamePass subscribers would have noticeably declined in the last 2 years if it was not for Starfield and Forza?

Top Bottom