• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro developer verdict: ‘I didn’t meet a single person that understood the point of it’

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Isn't this like asking why someone would want a 4090 when they have a 3080? It's for us graphics whores, duh.

That only really makes sense in a world where games are optimised for the most powerful hardware.

They aren’t.

You’re going to be playing sub optimal games on your Ps5 Pro because Sony also wants the game to run on Ps5… and now also all sorts of PC specs as well.

Good luck seeing value for money on a console that chugs out games that also have to run on a 2070.

Zero point in buying the best hardware in that kind of climate.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
PC : Release new hardware every year for more performance and features in games

Everyone : Yay!

Playstation : Release new hardware after 4-5 years for more performance and features in games

Everyone : "wHat'S tHe pOINt oF tHis"
No. It is release new HW when you admit that the console is entering the latter stage of it's lifecycle when the last time you did this it sold maybe 10% when it provided an option for the then new 4k TVs. It costs money to develop the HW and the dev tools and it will cost publishers more to support the specs for those who buy it. Just because some want it, it does not mean it is a good business move. And no PC releases HW every 2 years and sprinkles out variants over the years. Plus Not everyone buys them and has always been like that. You jump in when you jump in and upgrade when you feel like it. Having one upgrade available over a 7 year period is nothing like having 2 year component upgrades. Plus a 6 year old PC will still play games released today, albeit at lower specs. Ps4 Pro is done.

The only way I would get one is if Sony came out and said, the PS5 Pro will play launch PS6 games and we are moving to a no generations approach and we will keep releasing our games on PS at least 1 year before PC.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

That only really makes sense in a world where games are optimised for the most powerful hardware.

They aren’t.

You’re going to be playing sub optimal games on your Ps5 Pro because Sony also wants the game to run on Ps5… and now also all sorts of PC specs as well.

Good luck seeing value for money on a console that chugs out games that also have to run on a 2070.

Zero point in buying the best hardware in that kind of climate.

So, if a game like Rise of the Ronin runs at 30-50 fps on the 5, wouldn't it run at 60 on the Pro? That's all the reason I need. To have a smoother GTA6 experience as well. It doesn't take much for me. I mean, some of us spend 1500 on a graphics card alone. Having the most powerful console for $500? Sign me and millions of others up.

Radical_3d

Stultorum infinitus est numerus.
66152.jpg

FunkMiller

Gold Member
So, if a game like Rise of the Ronin runs at 30-50 fps on the 5, wouldn't it run at 60 on the Pro? That's all the reason I need. To have a smoother GTA6 experience as well. It doesn't take much for me. I mean, some of us spend 1500 on a graphics card alone. Having the most powerful console for $500? Sign me and millions of others up.

I genuinely don't think there's that many people out there willing to buy another brand new, expensive console for a bump in fps. That's fine for a hardcore market, but Joe Average isn't going to bite, unless Sony can show him that the Pro can do things no other platform they might already own can. That's how consoles are sold. And I very much doubt Sony will be able to sell it that way, given their strategy these days. It's not like the Ps4 Pro days, where the games were exclusive. With the shift to releasing on PC as well, they'll affect Ps5 Pro sales without a doubt. And there's hardly any games pushing the Ps5 anyway, so again... what's the point to a vast majority?

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I genuinely don't think there's that many people out there willing to buy another brand new, expensive console for a bump in fps. That's fine for a hardcore market, but Joe Average isn't going to bite, unless Sony can show him that the Pro can do things no other platform they might already own can. That's how consoles are sold. And I very much doubt Sony will be able to sell it that way, given their strategy these days. It's not like the Ps4 Pro days, where the games were exclusive. With the shift to releasing on PC as well, they'll affect Ps5 Pro sales without a doubt. And there's hardly any games pushing the Ps5 anyway, so again... what's the point to a vast majority?

Isn't this what the Pro is aimed at? it's not for average Joe, it's for those with the disposable income that want the best experience possible, I'll only bite if theres actual tangible differences to the visuals, a slight bump in res/FPS won't do it for me, I need see The equivalent of Ultra settings on Pro @ 60fps versus Medium settings on base @ 30fps

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 off topic question but did you pick your username and avatar because Bryan Cranston is a huge mlb fan?

I had no idea but just listed to him on the flippin bats podcast
I had no idea he was such a Baseball fan if I am being honest

I have my personal private gaming accounts and then the more public ones and I wanted all my public ones to have the same name

One night while trying to find a name for my PSN and XBL that was open for both I landed on this name as my wife and I were binge watching Breaking Bad after a surgery of mine

The FX4 had to be added just to find something different that was added and it was just an option on our F150 at the time.

I actually have another set of accounts with SHO on the end as we had a tuned Taurus SHO that my wife dearly loved and that car was a demon in sheep's clothing

So nothing exciting :)

MilkyJoe

Considering how obsessed publishers have become with growth recently, Dring also added that, ‘A couple of companies said: ‘This isn’t going to grow the market. This isn’t going to move the needle.’

This generation doesn’t even seem to have got started, let alone needs a mid-generation upgrade,’ he concluded.

This.

Killjoy-NL

Convincing people to buy unnecessary things is part of a lot of businesses 🤷‍♂️

Right?
I never said there isn't a market for Pro consoles or that I'm not part of that market.

But if I put myself in Sony's shoes, I question if it's worth the trouble. Because logically speaking, there is very little to gain from it this gen.

Even PS Portal makes much more sense, as it allows people to play anywhere at any time (if connected to Wifi, obviously).

Edit:

And this is basically what's being said. Not that Pro is gonna be a flop or kill Playstation or whatever.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I never said there isn't a market for Pro consoles or that I'm not part of that market.

But if I put myself in Sony's shoes, I question if it's worth the trouble. Because logically speaking, there is very little to gain from it this gen.

Even PS Portal makes much more sense, as it allows people to play anywhere at any time.
The gain is in selling stuff, I doubt any super deep R&D went into this pro version so they're cashing in.

DavidGzz

The Pro sold like 11 mil and I guess Sony was ok with that since they are doing it again. And what do you mean exclusives to the PS4 Pro? GTA6 is a big deal and I could see "the best way to play it" giving it a good boost. Especially if MS isn't releasing an upgrade, not that that would do much against the Pro lol

PS4 pro and one x had a serious reason 4k TVs almost everyone had a 4k TV but PS4 was 1080p

I love the revisionist history here.

When PS4 Pro and Xbox One X released the market penetration for 4KTVs was extremely small. Only 16-17 percent of American homes had 4KTVs in 2017, I'll concede this was probably a higher percentage among gamers, but it isn't like where it is now.

People are arguing that people already have consoles that can do 4K in PS5 and XSX but people bought 4KTVs not just to replace their old 1080p TVs but to experience the best visuals.

A console that gives better visuals certainly has a market, especially with those same early adopters to 4K (again predominantly gamers) who spent significantly more money on their TVs back in 2017 and 2018.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Honestly, the Pro really isn't for normal gamers.

It's for professionals.

I happen to be a pro gamer, so it's a perfect product for me. But I'm like only in the 2% of pro gamers out there.
I'm not even a professional gamer. I'm going to buy one just so I can say "man I'm glad that I don't have to play these games on an amateur console" whenever the performance threads start rolling in.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I hate to use the term "lazy devs", but the abominably poor performance of so many PS5 exclusives is exactly why a PS5 Pro is needed
FzU8bgnWIAUSgdN.jpg

I think Sony shouldn't let games with such shite performance enter their platform to begin with.

If your game is a ps4 game in visuals but has the requirements of a ps6, maybe it should be delayed and patched up.

A lot of the problems in the current gaming industry can be facilitated to platform holders being lenient and letting the most scummy scam products enter their storefronts with no regulation or quality control. Especially when said platform holders got into their position through insane quality products and cutting out mediocre work.

Third party developers shouldn't be given better hardware to compensate, they should be reprimanded and forced to reach higher standards. If their game is an unoptimized buggy mess, they should pay Sony far more cash than usually required to get on the storefront, and Sony should take a much larger share of the sales.

Radical_3d

FzU8bgnWIAUSgdN.jpg

I think Sony shouldn't let games with such shite performance enter their platform to begin with.

If your game is a ps4 game in visuals but has the requirements of a ps6, maybe it should be delayed and patched up.

A lot of the problems in the current gaming industry can be facilitated to platform holders being lenient and letting the most scummy scam products enter their storefronts with no regulation or quality control. Especially when said platform holders got into their position through insane quality products and cutting out mediocre work.

Third party developers shouldn't be given better hardware to compensate, they should be reprimanded and forced to reach higher standards. If their game is an unoptimized buggy mess, they should pay Sony far more cash than usually required to get on the storefront, and Sony should take a much larger share of the sales.
GAF will always be bananas.

Imagine asking a variable fee depending on their perform and “perceived generation of graphics complexity”. Some 2D indies would have to pay for each copy sold. And “platform holders being lenient” is not a problem of “today’s industry”. Nintendo seal of quality was a joke and I’ve very happily played Turok 2 and WipEout on the Saturn both at 15 fps when things were smooth.

Pagusas

Elden Member
This is why I eyeroll every time I hear about a pro console. Have the current ones even been pushed at all yet? (I suspect NO)
They have, yes. Not sure where this narrative is coming from... We have loads of games now that had to drop to 30fps completely with no performance mode, or a performance mode that's sub HD resolutions. If we want to keep getting increasingly good-looking 60fps games, yes a new system is needed. FF7 Rebirth is the perfect example of this. I find the performance mode unplayable due to how bad it looks. The graphics mode is stunning, but you really feel that 30fps cap. And with FSR being such shit, and no DLSS or alternative in place, the systems are in a bad spot for further growth.

Last edited:

platina

Yeah there’s no point for it when graphically intensive games are running 1080p or lower. Come the fuck on, of course we need a dlss equivalent for those games to run 4k60. That’s the whole point! Nobody is asking to develop games specifically for the system, that was never going to happen. It was always upres/better raytracing

Last edited:

RaySoft

I guess the people "they" talk about in the article are probably mostly, if not all, indies. With that context, I see their point.
‘Developers didn’t seem to feel they needed it’, he said. ‘They weren’t really making the most of the PS5 in the first place,’ he added.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

I'm gonna go with £529.29 for the pro. Call it a gut feeling.

If I'm wrong, I'll edit this post, and make myself right.

Why? Because if being right is wrong, I don't wanna be right. 🤣

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

They must be retarded if they dont understand... Its an optional upgrade so the games perform better. What is exactly hard to understand about that?

Same as when PC gamers buy new parts so there games perform better.
If you dont want to buy it, dont buy it. Its an extra optional console, and I‘ll be there day 1

Seriously, what a dumb article and dumb people

Last edited:

Sephimoth

They have, yes. Not sure where this narrative is coming from... We have loads of games now that had to drop to 30fps completely with no performance mode, or a performance mode that's sub HD resolutions. If we want to keep getting increasingly good-looking 60fps games, yes a new system is needed. FF7 Rebirth is the perfect example of this. I find the performance mode unplayable due to how bad it looks. The graphics mode is stunning, but you really feel that 30fps cap. And with FSR being such shit, and no DLSS or alternative in place, the systems are in a bad spot for further growth.
That doesn't necessarily mean they've been pushed to their limits. It may be just games aren't as optimized as they could be (due to schedule limits etc).

Last edited:

Xeela_sunston

Neo Member
Uh, isn't the real question here actually why the hell are developers saying they weren't really making the most of the PS5 in the first place? Why haven't they been doing that? Why are the ones responsible for making the most of the PS5 casually saying they aren't making the most of the PS5 without any sort of explanation?

"This generation doesn't even seem to have been started" YOU ARE responsible for that! He needs to ask the damn publishers why they apparently haven't started the generation ffs
It been like this since the PS2 era devs moaning about the GS chip being weak despite being stronger than the Xbox GPU when properly used. Lying about texture compression being missing when CLUT could act the same as S3TC, Claiming It couldn't 2 ~ 4xAA when dev tools showed AA settings and much more.

Look at how the base PS4 was treated with devs going off how hard to do 1080p games but the moment someone asked what was the issue they stop replying or switch the topic. Now their doing the same with the PS5 despite the fact It a PC with Ryzen 7 8/16 + 16GB GDDR6 + RTX 2070 Super, Which a fuck ton better than what the PS3 & PS4 had at launch.

Gojiira

I find the discourse hilarious. Better performance is apparently not reason enough. Two consoles is too much for a gen.
What makes it even more hilarious was the outlets and devs who defended the shitshow that is the Series S. So if releasing a borked console that has held back the entire gen is acceptable, why is it such a issue for PS to release a improved console?
Also just consider next year, GTA6. The whole narrative will change when PS5 Pro is the definite best console to play it on, suddenly the devs and everyone else will be singing a different tune

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Some 2D indies would have to pay for each copy sold.
Ratio of graphics to performance. No one is going to give a shit if a 2d pixel art indie running at 60fps/120fps comes out. If it's 30fps that's questionable. If it's 20fps/30fps with frequent drops they should get the performance tax.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And “platform holders being lenient” is not a problem of “today’s industry”
Why are microtransactions in games? Because Sony, Valve and Microsoft allow that on their storefronts.

Why were lootboxes in games? Sony, valve and Microsoft allow that on their storefronts.

Why do games like Dragons Dogma 2, Anthem, CP2077, Forspoken, jedi survivor, etc get released in the state they were in? Sony, valve and Microsoft allow that on their storefronts.

They are lenient because they let bullshit games like that get released. That's why.

If they had actual quality standards the gaming industry would improve so fast.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
That doesn't necessarily mean they've been pushed to their limits. It may be just games aren't as optimized as they could be (due to schedule limits etc).
and that isn't going to get better anytime soon, Rebirth was already long in the tooth in development. So the only way to beat dev time restrictions is to throw more power at the problem (or new optimized tools, but those also take a long time to develop and come with their own issues). Plus we already are extremely limited on Ray Tracing and hardware resolution scaling on the consoles, the only way to move forward In those areas is new hardware.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is one of those rare threads where people justify why they regularly upgrade and why this is good

Any other day folks will be like "I don't play on PC because I hate having to upgrade parts every 2 years. I just want to play games"
In all fairness its much easier to bring home a complete box and plug it in and go as many people even today find it daunting to crack open a PC case and replace parts (no matter how easy it has become)

Mr.Phoenix

I had no idea he was such a Baseball fan if I am being honest

I have my personal private gaming accounts and then the more public ones and I wanted all my public ones to have the same name

One night while trying to find a name for my PSN and XBL that was open for both I landed on this name as my wife and I were binge watching Breaking Bad after a surgery of mine

The FX4 had to be added just to find something different that was added and it was just an option on our F150 at the time.

I actually have another set of accounts with SHO on the end as we had a tuned Taurus SHO that my wife dearly loved and that car was a demon in sheep's clothing

So nothing exciting :)
So you and your wife love cars...

(writes note down in how to bribe an insider book)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So you and your wife love cars...

(writes note down in how to bribe an insider book)
Without a doubt cars are/were our vice and at one point owned WAY too many of them

Wish I had better pictures of my all time fav without me or my wife in the pic but here was my pride and joy until my knees said the next time you sit down in her you may never get back out

Rb38p9t.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
Without a doubt cars are/were our vice and at one point owned WAY too many of them

Wish I had better pictures of my all time fav without me or my wife in the pic but here was my pride and joy until my knees said the next time you sit down in her you may never get back out

Rb38p9t.jpg

Ain't you like 6'8"? How in the hell did you get in that car even with good knees?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Ain't you like 6'8"? How in the hell did you get in that car even with good knees?
It was tight, like knees near the sides of the steering wheel tight

My wife always said I did more harm to my knees getting in and out of our small cars than I did playing sports

My left knee is pure trash which wasn't my plant leg throwing a baseball but is where all the pressure was getting in those cars

Top Bottom