• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE - PS5 Pro in Development, Could Release Late 2024

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
That is a ridiculous take, giving people an option somehow offends you? lol.
Yes if the best thing for your customers would be to focus that R&D money on PS6 and better tools and SDK optimisations for the current PS5 games and make more PS5s and cheaper ones so that devs are encouraged to optimise more and more for the fixed specs (which is what consoles are about).

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Rea

peish

VuYi4aE.gif

i bought a 12xxx ps5 digital with 6nm for ff16, the packaging is very cheap paper and almost cut my fingers.

12xxx ps5 is very silent and never hitched throughout the game at graphics mode. i played at ambient room of 30 celsius. i lay it horizontally and have a 60mm nocutua usb fan places at the top, the ps5 back is warm when i placed my palm there.

the ps5 still does not warm my room as much than my gaming pc with aircon turned on 26 degrees

in gaming ps5 is using about 180w power and pc is 460w just the cpu and gpu from hwinfo

Last edited:

Surfheart

I think pro consoles are insane, you have these recent games running like dogshit on the most ultra high end PCs, machines with specs that consoles wont approach for multiple generations. With these consoles saddled with AMD SOCs I just can’t see how Pro versions could offer anything more than minimal improvements.

I think it sends a bad message to PS5 owners, “Sorry yeah that next gen console you bought well it’s really a PS4 Pro 2, here’s the Real PS5”

Last edited:

Banned
I think pro consoles are insane, you have these recent games running like dogshit on the most ultra high end PCs, machines with specs that consoles wont approach for multiple generations. With these consoles saddled with AMD SOCs I just can’t see how Pro versions could offer anything more than minimal improvements.

well, Raytracing perfomance that's better than a GTX10 series card would be one thing they could offer 🙃

also simply smoother perfomance in games that struggle. like Jedi Fallen Order for example might actually run at 60fps on a pro console

PeteBull

yeah pretty much.
they were pimping that horrible low end shit like a genius move.

and now these “tech enthusiasts” are intimidated by the idea of ps5 pro.
gtfo with that shit

bagusta almost tears up whenever it’s brought up, lol
Imagine once ps5pr0 launches, and xbox midgen upgrade is nowhere to be seen, and we get those platform comparisions, ps5 vs xss vs xsx vs ps5pr0, that way both xbox consoles getting decimated big time.

Ps5 slim probably wont be much more expensive from 1tb xss which is 350$ mrsp now, and even if ps5pr0 is 800$ vs 500$ xbox series x, at that budget range among enthusiasts majority will gladly pay premium price for premium performance, aka huge loss on both fronts, and DF will have to report on it all across all those multiplatform games comparisions.

The difference will be even bigger than back in early ps4 vs xbox one days, those tears will be glorious to watch ;>

Last edited:

Surfheart

well, Raytracing perfomance that's better than a GTX10 series card would be one thing they could offer 🙃

also simply smoother perfomance in games that struggle. like Jedi Fallen Order for example might actually run at 60fps on a pro console

Is that enough incentive though? Looking at how Jedi performs on top end PCs there’s no guarantee that a Pro console would get that game‘s performance to where it should be.

Banned
Is that enough incentive though? Looking at how Jedi performs on top end PCs there’s no guarantee that a Pro console would get that game‘s performance to where it should be.

well the PC is mostly suffering from shader stutters and the typical UE4 loading stutters.
while on console you will run at sub 40fps for extended periods of time simply because the GPU and CPU aren't strong enough.

PeteBull

Even if performance is 2x better, thats huge win, coz imagine xbox series x player playing the way they do now and ps5pr0 player playing either in 2x higher res or 2x higher fps.

As an xbox gamer u will see those DF comparisions and think to urself- "Wtf am i doing with my life and that junk of a console, i should have bought ps5 sooner, now its too late but at least i can jump to sony side with ps5pr0 and enjoy myself finally, not being peasant anymore."

And guess what- thats perfectly fine outcome for sony boss- jim ryan- he gets another enthustast in his ecosystem- not casual gamepass lover who doesnt buy games, but actual enthusiast willing to spend few hundo bucks and often more, yearly, on his hobby ;)

sendit

Imagine once ps5pr0 launches, and xbox midgen upgrade is nowhere to be seen, and we get those platform comparisions, ps5 vs xss vs xsx vs ps5pr0, that way both xbox consoles getting decimated big time.

Ps5 slim probably wont be much more expensive from 1tb xss which is 350$ mrsp now, and even if ps5pr0 is 800$ vs 500$ xbox series x, at that budget range among enthusiasts majority will gladly pay premium price for premium performance, aka huge loss on both fronts, and DF will have to report on it all across all those multiplatform games comparisions.

The difference will be even bigger than back in early ps4 vs xbox one days, those tears will be glorious to watch ;>
Agreed. I can't imagine Microsoft releasing an Xbox Series X Pro. They already anchored themselves at the start of this generation with the Series S,.

Yes if the best thing for your customers would be to focus that R&D money on PS6 and better tools and SDK optimisations for the current PS5 games and make more PS5s and cheaper ones so that devs are encouraged to optimise more and more for the fixed specs (which is what consoles are about).
They can do all of that and make a pro console, it's not going to take money away from developers, the PS6 would only be in conceptual stages right now anyway, we are a good 5 years away from that. A Pro will have the same basic architecture as the current machine it'll just be more capable and maybe have a few additions but it's not going to hold anything back for the base console. The PS4 Pro didn't hurt PS4 games, the One X didn't hurt Xbox One games and neither of them impacted the PS5 or Series X.

Last edited:

Could they? Does AMD actually have anything that Sony can put in a €$500 box right now that would be a substantial improvement without using more power/generating heat?

Banned
Could they? Does AMD actually have anything that Sony can put in a €$500 box right now that would be a substantial improvement without using more power/generating heat?

I mean, simply putting in RDNA3 instead of RDNA2 would mean an improvement in RT perfomance.
also doubling the CUs should be possible.

but noone says it has to be 500€, it can absolutely be 600€ 🤷

REDRZA MWS

Gamers and the gaming industry has ALWAYS been into the next big thing. And withbtexh advancing the way it as every 2-3 years theybcab release a more powerful box to look and run their games better, to utilize newer tech like patch tracing, nevermind any other bells and whiatles, all for a 500/600 dollar box while we wait for the next gen.

No need to fret all you ps5/SX games will look. and perform great. So you guys wait for another 3-4 years for full fat “next gen”’ but there are many games who dont mind at spending the extra 400-500 buck to play our games as technically possible as the can be until the real next gen starts. count me in for both.

FireFly

I mean, simply putting in RDNA3 instead of RDNA2 would mean an improvement in RT perfomance.
also doubling the CUs should be possible.

but noone says it has to be 500€, it can absolutely be 600€ 🤷
Doubling the CUs would put it beyond what is rumoured for Navi 32, which is already hard to see in a $600 box. The ray tracing performance improvement in RDNA 3 looks to be ~10% overall, though it can be a lot more in specific titles.

Banned
Doubling the CUs would put it beyond what is rumoured for Navi 32, which is already hard to see in a $600 box. The ray tracing performance improvement in RDNA 3 looks to be ~10% overall, though it can be a lot more in specific titles.

since these are consoles we're talking about here, it could totally be that they're already based on RDNA4, or are hybrids. especially if they release next year.

PS5 Pro news incoming?

It's more likely to be the PS5 Slim model with the optional disc drive attachment. I don't think we'll hear anything about the PS5 Pro at all because I am not convinced it will even exist...

... then, again, Sony are making some bizarre announcements of late with that Project Q controller/screen streaming device "thingie" which has about as much appeal for me as the Wii U's tablet did back in the day (since it seems to be exactly the same thing).

FireFly

since these are consoles we're talking about here, it could totally be that they're already based on RDNA4, or are hybrids. especially if they release next year.
Yes, I agree. The only way I can see a Pro console being a big improvement is if RDNA 4 delivers much better efficiency. If it has the ray tracing traversal unit seen in a recent patent then that could lead to much better ray tracing performance.

Last edited:

Gudji

I guess DF got access to one of the consoles today and will report later next week or something. Unless they're still cooking an article and video for today.

At this point why would anyone buy a base console? Just wait 3 years to have a better system and some actual exclusives.

Cuz it's going to be a lot more than 3 years.

Should add that with non-GP game sales in the toilet, MS has every incentive to ensure this generation lasts as long as possible.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Cuz it's going to be a lot more than 3 years.

Should add that with non-GP game sales in the toilet, MS has every incentive to ensure this generation lasts as long as possible.
No, I'm saying is basically anyone who bought the base PS5 got taken for a ride. Same thing will likely happen with PS6, so why buy the base console?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
No, I'm saying is basically anyone who bought the base PS5 got taken for a ride. Same thing will likely happen with PS6, so why buy the base console?
When the PS4 Pro came out, there were 3 PS4s in our home at the time. I got the Pro.

I'm the only one that wanted to play on the Pro. No one else cared.

When it comes to choice, some will either care or they won't. Just like playing on a better TV. I would argue that's almost as big of an upgrade as a mid gen refresh.

Same home, best TV in the living room, ppl barely played on that TV.

It's really not that serious.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I really dislike my PS5 with its mediocre exclusive game offering. Base games are meh, PSVR2 is big meh, then coming out with a PS pro is the final slap in the face. Like a game developer releasing DLC when they have not nailed down the core game yet.

Then stop complaining and sell your PS5 and PSVR2. Sounds like you hate gaming, which is fine. Some of us change our hobbies as we go through life.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's more likely to be the PS5 Slim model with the optional disc drive attachment. I don't think we'll hear anything about the PS5 Pro at all because I am not convinced it will even exist...

... then, again, Sony are making some bizarre announcements of late with that Project Q controller/screen streaming device "thingie" which has about as much appeal for me as the Wii U's tablet did back in the day (since it seems to be exactly the same thing).

LOL! Project Q can be used on the internet. It's nothing like the Wii U tablet. Especially once Sony gets their PS5 cloud gaming up and running on PS+ Premium, you wouldn't even need a PS5 to stream games to it.
HUGE difference.

At this point why would anyone buy a base console? Just wait 3 years to have a better system and some actual exclusives.

You're acting as if playing games on the base PS5 for the past 3 years doesn't matter to people. Why would someone just sit around and wait for the "Pro" version to go on sale? Especially when you'd have no idea if a Pro version will ever be released. And if you knew it would be created, you wouldn't know how long you'd have to wait.

RCU005

That is a ridiculous take, giving people an option somehow offends you? lol.
This is stupid! It’s not about being offended. The PS5 hasn’t even been used for more like 20% of its power. Releasing a PRO is a slap on the face for consumers that bought a PS5 expecting improvements over the PS4 which haven’t happened since launch 3 whole years ago. They are still releasing PS4 cross gen ffs!

Also, it’s not about having more options when this new option is meant to do what the original had to since the

I say these rumors are BS! They just claim shit in order to get 15 minutes of attention. Many websites like to throw shit on the wall to see what sticks and they believe that since there was a Pro before, there has to be one for PS5.

A PS5 slim/redesign is believable. Having a detachable disc drive would allow Sony to make just one SKU and people who wants a disc drive can purchase one and pay as much (or less) as the disc version. A Pro, no way!

Dreathlock

This is stupid! It’s not about being offended. The PS5 hasn’t even been used for more like 20% of its power. Releasing a PRO is a slap on the face for consumers that bought a PS5 expecting improvements over the PS4 which haven’t happened since launch 3 whole years ago. They are still releasing PS4 cross gen ffs!
Either that‘s satire or the dumbest thing i had to read this week.

Last edited:

First off, the Pro is likely going to be a lot more expensive. Secondly, that's another argument for a longer than normal console cycle and a mid cycle Pro console to tide over the 30 fps haters.

Xtib81

This is stupid! It’s not about being offended. The PS5 hasn’t even been used for more like 20% of its power. !
Yeah, AAA developers have had to make their games run sub 60 fps and drop native resolutions below 1080p just for fun. They could have had native 4k + 120fps if they wanted but sadly, they don't.

This is stupid! It’s not about being offended. The PS5 hasn’t even been used for more like 20% of its power.

WTF are you talking about?? Console is nearly maxed out. There's only a small amount of optimization left for the upcoming years.

Just look at games Like Ratchet and Clank or Spiderman.

It's not like your can drastically improve the raytracing performance or something else.

You obviously have no clue what you are talking about.

The devs just used 20% of the power and left 80% on the table. Ridiculous.😂🤣🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

vivftp

Also, it’s not about having more options when this new option is meant to do what the original had to since the

I say these rumors are BS! They just claim shit in order to get 15 minutes of attention. Many websites like to throw shit on the wall to see what sticks and they believe that since there was a Pro before, there has to be one for PS5.

A PS5 slim/redesign is believable. Having a detachable disc drive would allow Sony to make just one SKU and people who wants a disc drive can purchase one and pay as much (or less) as the disc version. A Pro, no way!

lol, what a load of nonsense. All of it. Especially that first paragraph :LOL:

Dream-Knife

Banned
You're acting as if playing games on the base PS5 for the past 3 years doesn't matter to people. Why would someone just sit around and wait for the "Pro" version to go on sale? Especially when you'd have no idea if a Pro version will ever be released. And if you knew it would be created, you wouldn't know how long you'd have to wait.
Mid gen, just like the PS4 pro.

Plus now since console are budget PCs we have cross gen. Unless AMD gets real serious about RT, the next consoles won't be that big of a leap either.

Last edited:

Boneless

Then stop complaining and sell your PS5 and PSVR2. Sounds like you hate gaming, which is fine. Some of us change our hobbies as we go through life.
Gaming is great, on PC.

So far, this generation of Playstation does not hold up and it's no secret. Sorry if I am bursting your fan-bubble.

Mr.Phoenix

I really dislike my PS5 with its mediocre exclusive game offering. Base games are meh, PSVR2 is big meh, then coming out with a PS pro is the final slap in the face. Like a game developer releasing DLC when they have not nailed down the core game yet.
Yup.. I completely believe everything you are saying.

Top Bottom