• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EXCLUSIVE - PS5 Pro in Development, Could Release Late 2024

RTX4070

Banned
I wouldn't be so sure about that.
Rockstar Games at Ultra Settings are built for future generations of hardware. Always was. Look at how Rdr 2 runs at 15 fps with every setting maxed.

Sure with optimised settigs it will work. But Gta6 will eat gpus alive. Expecting that a console will is laughable they cant even run Gta V at 60 fps in native 4k. Only on 1440p game is from 2013.

small_law

So why am I going to upgrade to pro models of either council? What am I getting? They're not going to put in multi-gigabit ethernet ports or Wi-Fi 6E or Wi-Fi 7. Gen 5 NVMe will be out of the question. There would be no reason to deliver resolution beyond 4K, so a resolution increase like what they tried with the PS4 Pro isn't going to happen.

Native 4K at 60 HRz, and I mean locked at 60fps, would be the only reason you would want to introduce a half-step model of either of these consoles. And that makes me really concerned about whether Sony or Microsoft could actually deliver it. If that's promise they're making they have to come through on it.

RTX4070

Banned
They will not do 4k native at 60. Because they wanna push graphics too. I mean starfield is 1200p 30 fps . A pro would double that maybe 2.5 thats barely enough for 1440p 60 fps in Starfield. Especially since they cant change cpu too much.

I think people are getting too caught up in resolution numbers paired with frame rates, "Pro will do 4K 60, 8K 30 etc...."

Those metrics are very relative and prone to change depending on how the game is designed and optimized. The only things we can say for certain in terms of performance metrics is yes it's likely more titles will run at higher resolutions, and hopefully more consistent 60 FPS implementations.

I also think DF's enthusiasm towards mid-gen refreshes would be drastically different had they caught wind Xbox was also in the process of developing a Pro model.
What a ridiculous statement, DF is about as unbiased as it gets when it comes to vg journalism. There really is no need for a mid-gen refresh cause the gen hasn't even really started yet we are just starting to see games being made specifically for the current gen.

MH3M3D

No it is not optional :). Its effects certainly are not (on devs either and if this becomes a more and more frequent pattern you start bundling the worst of PC’s and PC API’s and the worst of consoles which are still user not upgradable closed boxes to hacking and modding) and by trying to get the very best as you say you make it all worse a bit at a time too and you will not get what you seek either. How was my argument wrong?
What console games needs is to allow developers more stability not less, what games need is greater and greater HW capability leaps (which are taking longer and longer to achieve) to give tangible results not smaller, what HW evolution needs is longer cycles to mature not less… and the answer is essentially to throw evidence and logic out of the window 🤔?

You know other places where these frequent iterative HW releases are optional? Mobile phones and PC’s, if you now imagine PC’s without the ability to change parts and cases yourself the picture becomes clearer and you can see how consoles following the same path would make the current problems worse.
You cant compare the endless possible configurations of PC's with TWO sku's of a PS5. They can still optimize for both.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4

I'm pretty sure Bagaga will be the first who complains about the PS5 Pro after release.

He will likely do PC/PS5 pro comparison videos even he's not interested in the PS5 Pro.
And like he constantly does when comparing PS5 vs PC, he will constantly search dishonest ways, and perspectives in order to make it look bad. Like using a 1000$ CPU and claim he is benchmarking GPUs etc.

I mean why would DF, a tech channel, be against new tech coming to market and give them free content to produce?

Confused Good Question GIF by Choice Hotels
They were not against XSS and certainly not against X1X and XSX. For the 2 latter consoles it was like the second coming of Jesus for them.

leizzra

Playing devil's advocate, DF has right in the way that it's too early for refresh and that the cost of parts is not as it used to for real gains. We still don't have proper next-gen titles. By that I mean games made using strengths of the systems. They are still made on older engines not utilising SSD's with their full potential. We only scratched the surface.

I know there are games now that are lower on resolution and fps. It mostly a fault of developers not the hardware (well in some way it is, but this is always a case with consoles ;) ). Now if they'll get a new hardware they'll be more lazy as it is the case with PC (there is always a more powerfull GPU and CPU to handle thing that normally should be optimised better). That's why I always loved consoles gaming - you work with what you have and are trying to find better solutions. This is how games visuals progressed.

Now we can argue that with last gen there were similar worries and in the end PS4Pro and X1X were underutilised because base models were still a priority. It was like this then but now? I'm not so sure. We have many examples of games published in questionable state. Of course it's a bigger problem that combines with budgets and time restrictions (well those two are actually the same).

Some people are writing here that more then two versions of a game aren't an issue for dev. The are and it's like this from the start. More versions mean more work for the dev's and for QA (in theory each version should be tested separatly so with PS4, PS4Pro, X1 and X1X it were four games to test). In the end this is one of the reasons why pro version weren't looking better and got mostly resolution/fps bump.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

Playing devil's advocate, DF has right in the way that it's too early for refresh and that the cost of parts is not as it used to for real gains. We still don't have proper next-gen titles. By that I mean games made using strengths of the systems. They are still made on older engines not utilising SSD's with their full potential. We only scratched the surface.

I know there are games now that are lower on resolution and fps. It mostly a fault of developers not the hardware (well in some way it is, but this is always a case with consoles ;) ). Now if they'll get a new hardware they'll be more lazy as it is the case with PC (there is always a more powerfull GPU and CPU to handle thing that normally should be optimised better). That's why I always loved consoles gaming - you work with what you have and are trying to find better solutions. This is how games visuals progressed.

Now we can argue that with last gen there were similar worries and in the end PS4Pro and X1X were underutilised because base models were still a priority. It was like this then but now? I'm not so sure. We have many examples of games published in questionable state. Of course it's a bigger problem that combines with budgets and time restrictions (well those two are actually the same).

Some people are writing here that more then two versions of a game aren't an issue for dev. The are and it's like this from the start. More versions mean more work for the dev's and for QA (in theory each version should be tested separatly so with PS4, PS4Pro, X1 and X1X it were four games to test). In the end this is one of the reasons why pro version weren't looking better and got mostly resolution/fps bump.
How 2024 can be too early when we are probably going to see next-gen in 2027. It's actually the last year for PRO version.

These completely absurd and unfounded “bias” implications are getting old.

I don't like how people pretend DF are so reputable and so beyond bias. Anyone who's been watching there channel for the past 10 years knows how biased they can be.

This was shown fully during their coverage of the PS4 Pro and One X, I lost count of how many times Richard would speak about how inferior PS4 Pro was due the good old "teraflop differential". In fact I think no other channel focused as much on teraflops as they did.

Then came PS5 and Series X, and DF were left standing with their dick in their hands when the PS5 was achieving relative parity regardless of the "teraflop differential". This even led to people like John having meltdowns on Twitter, complaining that fanboys have hijacked a lot of the console discourse, not realizing it was him, Alex and Richard who indirectly fueled a lot of the fanboy narratives in the first place.

I haven't even begun to scratch their paid sponsorship videos, especially in the PC realm... Alex "ray-tracing" Bugaga being the worst culprit of all.

leizzra

How 2024 can be too early when we are probably going to see next-gen in 2027. It's actually the last year for PRO version.
I agree, if we look only at timeline it should be 2024/2025 (next-gen consoles will be probably 2027/2028). The problem is that mid-gen this gen isn't the same as mid-gen last gen (if that makes sense ;) ).

Was the PS4 Pro less powerful and less capable than an Xbox One X or not?

They've had a history of biased coverage in the past which is what makes me distrustful of them. It was more than just "point out the power difference", it's almost as if they were looking for any excuse to shit on Playstation.

Then comes their lack of knowledge on gaming hardware architecture, Richard was struggling to understand variable and boost frequencies in CPU and GPU's, which I think annoyed even Cerny.

We had posters like Alex prior to launch claiming that PS5 doesn't have hardware based ray-tracing, even though Cerny was very clear about it.

I can go on forever honestly.

Rykan

I don't like how people pretend DF are so reputable and so beyond bias. Anyone who's been watching there channel for the past 10 years knows how biased they can be.
Digital Foundry is an outlet that analysis video game software performance as well as hardware comparisons. They often compare software and hardware against one another, often competitors. It is absolutely vital to their credibility that they remain neutral and “unbiased” because their careers depend on it. An accusation of bias is a huge slander against their ethics which should not be taken lightly and should be supported with ample evidence. Instead, you post the usual ridiculous nonsense that “DF is biased!" people post: ridiculous and absurd misrepresentation of their opinions and claims, which are then followed up with a misplaced correlation to “prove” they are biased.

Without fail, those claims always come from highly biased fanboys who heard something they don't like, and I have no doubt that that is exactly what is going on here too.
This was shown fully during their coverage of the PS4 Pro and One X, I lost count of how many times Richard would speak about how inferior PS4 Pro was due the good old "teraflop differential". In fact I think no other channel focused as much on teraflops as they did.
This is misrepresentation. Plain and simple. DF has done detailed analysis of both systems and have correctly established that the Xbox One X has better specs than a PS4 Pro, with the GPU being one of the largest differentiating factors. An analysis, mind you, that turned out to be completely correct and accurate: Xbox One X was a better machine that produced better results than the Playstation 4 pro.
Then came PS5 and Series X, and DF were left standing with their dick in their hands when the PS5 was achieving relative parity regardless of the "teraflop differential". This even led to people like John having meltdowns on Twitter, complaining that fanboys have hijacked a lot of the console discourse, not realizing it was him, Alex and Richard who indirectly fueled a lot of the fanboy narratives in the first place.
DF was surprised that the Xbox Series X isn't performing better than Playstation 5 early in the generation, despite, on paper at least, having better specs. This led them to speculate that there might be another underlying issue or another cause for the performance issues that Xbox Series X was facing. What you're trying to do is frame this in such a way that this means that their analysis of the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro was inaccurate, which is utterly absurd. Worse still: You actually implied that them attributing the fact that Xbox One X performs better than PS4 Pro due to GPU difference means they are biased towards Microsoft. Of which, I remind you, you provided absolutely zero evidence for.
I haven't even begun to scratch their paid sponsorship videos, especially in the PC realm... Alex "ray-tracing" Bugaga being the worst culprit of all.
I can't wait to watch you misrepresent this as well.
They've had a history of biased coverage in the past which is what makes me distrustful of them.
Oh hey look. Another completely baseless claim of "Biased coverage" with no evidence to support it whatsoever.
It was more than just "point out the power difference", it's almost as if they were looking for any excuse to shit on Playstation.
Feel free to elaborate because this is just vague ramblings.
Then comes their lack of knowledge on gaming hardware architecture, Richard was struggling to understand variable and boost frequencies in CPU and GPU's, which I think annoyed even Cerny.
Uh huh.

Just for the record, this conversation isn't new. This is how literally every single "DF is biased!" forum post goes. I'll ask you for actual tangible evidence to back up your claims that they are biased, and you will undoubtedly respond with something along the lines of “I can't be bothered with that right now” or “You've already made up your mind, not going to bother to try and change it”. That's because these accusations are projection, and we both know it.

Last edited:

Rykan

You can see it. The look of disgust and apathy on his face as he touches the Playstation 5. It is pure hatred. The damage on the box no doubt caused in a fit of pure rage and anger.

Compare that to Xbox series X image. You can feel the love. The admiration. The pure joy of one holding an Xbox Series X ...box.

Notice how he puts the Xbox Series X carefully on the TV stands in the first image, but tossed the PS5 box on the floor in the second.
If this doesn't convince you the man is blatantly biased, I don't know what will.

Last edited:

Xtib81

Because PS6 is going to be a lot later than 2027. Part of the reason why a mid cycle Pro model is needed.
You just don't know, why are you talking like you know when next gen consoles will release? Absolutely nothing indicates that they will come after 2028. The most likely outcome is 2024 : pro consoles, 2028 : next gen consoles

Last edited:
You just don't know, why are you talking like you know when next gen consoles will release? Absolutely nothing indicates that they will come after 2028. The most likely outcome is 2024 : pro consoles, 2028 : next gen consoles

Because getting that generational upgrade without the console costing $1000+ is going to take awhile.

Digital Foundry is an outlet that analysis video game software performance as well as hardware comparisons. They often compare software and hardware against one another, often competitors. It is absolutely vital to their credibility that they remain neutral and “unbiased” because their careers depend on it. An accusation of bias is a huge slander against their ethics which should not be taken lightly and should be supported with ample evidence. Instead, you post the usual ridiculous nonsense that “DF is biased!" people post: ridiculous and absurd misrepresentation of their opinions and claims, which are then followed up with a misplaced correlation to “prove” they are biased.
Without fail, those claims always come from highly biased fanboys who heard something they don't like, and I have no doubt that that is exactly what is going on here too.

This is misrepresentation. Plain and simple. DF has done detailed analysis of both systems and have correctly established that the Xbox One X has better specs than a PS4 Pro, with the GPU being one of the largest differentiating factors. An analysis, mind you, that turned out to be completely correct and accurate: Xbox One X was a better machine that produced better results than the Playstation 4 pro.

DF was surprised that the Xbox Series X isn't performing better than Playstation 5 early in the generation, despite, on paper at least, having better specs. This led them to speculate that there might be another underlying issue or another cause for the performance issues that Xbox Series X was facing. What you're trying to do is frame this in such a way that this means that their analysis of the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro was inaccurate, which is utterly absurd. Worse still: You actually implied that them attributing the fact that Xbox One X performs better than PS4 Pro due to GPU difference means they are biased towards Microsoft. Of which, I remind you, you provided absolutely zero evidence for.

Oh dear.. a lot of this is just apologetics for piss-poor journalism mixed with naïve conjecture on how media and journalist "should behave".

Journalism has rarely been objective, as many of us would agree on, especially in the realm of politics... but this isn't politics, it's hardware, software and gaming, which is more easy to manipulate.. through tactics such as paid promotions, exclusive information and first looks.

We had an insider on Gaf who had vetted information on how Microsoft/Xbox wanted DF in their camp. This came in the form of Microsoft pampering DF with exclusive first looks and flying them out to view the hardware, this was the case with both the One X and Series X. If this wasn't a huge red flag on their integrity as journalists, I don't know what is.

It's also funny how your getting so worked up about the accusations of bias being slander. Just look at someone like Alex, he's made his bias apparent so many times it's laughable. It's clear he doesn't like consoles. He often made comments and posts on other forums such as Beyon3d about the PS5's RT capabilities, even though it contradicted official information. Him and Richard had no clue on how the PS5's Primitive Shaders functioned, which fueled the whole PS5 RDNA 1.5 nonsense. Then tried spewing out the whole "SSD's won't make a difference to game design", which has been debunked by countless developers now.

All of this was dangerous speculation for such a "neutral and unbiased" journalistic outlet like DF.

Now we have them shitting on the idea of a PS5 Pro console, once again the main culprit being Alex. Had I not known his history, I would ignore it.

I can't wait to watch you misrepresent this as well.

Oh hey look. Another completely baseless claim of "Biased coverage" with no evidence to support it whatsoever.

Feel free to elaborate because this is just vague ramblings.

Uh huh.

Just for the record, this conversation isn't new. This is how literally every single "DF is biased!" forum post goes. I'll ask you for actual tangible evidence to back up your claims that they are biased, and you will undoubtedly respond with something along the lines of “I can't be bothered with that right now” or “You've already made up your mind, not going to bother to change it". That's because these accusations are projection, and we both know it.

The rest of this is just emotional rambling.

Rykan

Oh dear.. a lot of this is just apologetics for piss-poor journalism mixed with naïve conjecture on how media and journalist "should behave".

Journalism has rarely been objective, as many of us would agree on, especially in the realm of politics... but this isn't politics, it's hardware, software and gaming, which is more easy to manipulate.. through tactics such as paid promotions, exclusive information and first looks.
No, what it really is, is asking for you to back up any of your claims. Which you are unable to do so.
We had an insider on Gaf who had vetted information on how Microsoft/Xbox wanted DF in their camp. This came in the form of Microsoft pampering DF with exclusive first looks and flying them out to view the hardware, this was the case with both the One X and Series X. If this wasn't a huge red flag on their integrity as journalists, I don't know what is.
Well well well. Isn't this an interesting turn of events. We now have a mysterious GAF insider who had vetted information on how Microsoft wanted DF in their camp? The plot certainly thickens, I must say. Perhaps you could share who this mysterious GAF insider is? And how you vetted that his information is correct? No? Shame.
It's also funny how your getting so worked up about the accusations of bias being slander. Just look at someone like Alex, he's made his bias apparent so many times it's laughable. It's clear he doesn't like consoles. He often made comments and posts on other forums such as Beyon3d about the PS5's RT capabilities, even though it contradicted official information. Him and Richard had no clue on how the PS5's Primitive Shaders functioned, which fueled the whole PS5 RDNA 1.5 nonsense. Then tried spewing out the whole "SSD's won't make a difference to game design", which has been debunked by countless developers now.

All of this was dangerous speculation for such a "neutral and unbiased" journalistic outlet like DF.
Citation needed.
Now we have them shitting on the idea of a PS5 Pro console, once again the main culprit being Alex. Had I not known his history, I would ignore it.
Really? And why is he doing that huh? What is he "Actually" saying about a PS5 pro console?
The rest of this is just emotional rambling.
It's not. What it really is, is correcting the misinformation and blatant inaccuracies that you posted in an attempt to portray them as biased. The only reason you label it as “emotional rambling” is because you don't want to engage with it because it requires you to back up your false and inaccurate claims. Which I, of course, predicted in the very post you're quoting. The accusations against Digital Foundry are always coming from fanboys, and they are always, without fail, baseless and unsupported by evidence.

Last edited:

Rykan

There was an article about this:

Complete bullshit on DF side.
The Developer claims that shitty PC Ports are because of too many PC configurations.

But they say in this video It will be too hard to develop for two consoles??😂🤣🤦‍♂️
I love how you think there is a contradiction here when there clearly is none.

jm89

They've had a history of biased coverage in the past which is what makes me distrustful of them. It was more than just "point out the power difference", it's almost as if they were looking for any excuse to shit on Playstation.

We had posters like Alex prior to launch claiming that PS5 doesn't have hardware based ray-tracing, even though Cerny was very clear about it.

I can go on forever honestly.

Also Alex bugaga was hanging around an Xbox Fanboy discord around the time the PS5 specs was released. He seemed cheery about the ps5 specs being lower the xsx, now he seems quite salty the power difference didn't pan out.

I'll see if I dig out the screenshot of him borderline celebrating it with people like kobrille.

First of all the unboxing experience of Series X was way better lol that's not evidence 😉 but seriously in this whole DF conversation there's just too many receipts I remember them tripping over themselves just to point out the og xbox one's higher clocked cpu even if it had a 1-2 frame advantage. I mean maybe we can attribute the way they cover these consoles now to growth 🤷‍♂️ they don't fan the flames like they used to but it's still there every now and then

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think people are getting too caught up in resolution numbers paired with frame rates, "Pro will do 4K 60, 8K 30 etc...."

Those metrics are very relative and prone to change depending on how the game is designed and optimized. The only things we can say for certain in terms of performance metrics is yes it's likely more titles will run at higher resolutions, and hopefully more consistent 60 FPS implementations.
Yep, especially since RDNA3.0 is a complete flop when it comes to gen on gen performance increase. You are not getting 4k 60 fps. We might not even get 2x more performance like we got last gen. But it will be better than the sub 720p resolutions we are getting now in some 60 fps modes.

I will be curious to see what they do about how some native 4k 30 fps games are struggling to do 60 fps at 1080p when on PCs those same games easily do 60 fps at 1440p. If there is a memory bandwidth or CPU bottleneck, i hope they look into addressing that before just doubling the GPU and calling it a day.

SHA

You can see it. The look of disgust and apathy on his face as he touches the Playstation 5. It is pure hatred. The damage on the box no doubt caused in a fit of pure rage and anger.

Compare that to Xbox series X image. You can feel the love. The admiration. The pure joy of one holding an Xbox Series X ...box.

Notice how he puts the Xbox Series X carefully on the TV stands in the first image, but tossed the PS5 box on the floor in the second.
If this doesn't convince you the man is blatantly biased, I don't know what will.
When you compare a game and put two images side by side, the ps and xb version and you intentionally have chosen to pick different time/lighting effects or whatever you call it that allegedly give different reflections but to trick viewers to think they see a superior version when it's not, that's how dirty they could get for the clicks.

PeteBull

DF does have bit of bias sometimes, just look how stellar review they gave to series S, and as techsavy ppl they must have known its gonna be shit like now, since many of us gafers were able to predict it.
Even casuals knew series S is terrible buy(as a clear proof u got sales numbers of ps5 vs combined series x and s, and still its 2:1 ratio worldwide) yet DF pretended series S is some second coming of value and power at amazing price- when in reality series S were and is now even more terrible deal even vs series X, not to mention ps5.

damidu

DF does have bit of bias sometimes, just look how stellar review they gave to series S, and as techsavy ppl they must have known its gonna be shit like now, since many of us gafers were able to predict it.
Even casuals knew series S is terrible buy(as a clear proof u got sales numbers of ps5 vs combined series x and s, and still its 2:1 ratio worldwide) yet DF pretended series S is some second coming of value and power at amazing price- when in reality series S were and is now even more terrible deal even vs series X, not to mention ps5.

yeah pretty much.
they were pimping that horrible low end shit like a genius move.

and now these “tech enthusiasts” are intimidated by the idea of ps5 pro.
gtfo with that shit

bagusta almost tears up whenever it’s brought up, lol

Last edited:

Rykan

When you compare a game and put two images side by side, the ps and xb version and you intentionally have chosen to pick different time/lighting effects or whatever you call it that allegedly give different reflections but to trick viewers to think they see a superior version when it's not, that's how dirty they could get for the clicks.
That is disgusting! I'm sure you have a concrete example of this happening.

Top Bottom