• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V is coming to Linux and will have native Steam Controller support.

jmga

Hey everyone. I’m excited to announce that Street Fighter V will be officially supporting Steam OS! We are working closely with Valve on this endeavor, and will have more details to announce in the near future, so stay tuned for updates.

Street Fighter V will also support the Steam controller, and you’ll be able to try that out right away during the upcoming beta test that takes place from December 18~20.

See you all online!

http://www.capcom-unity.com/street_fighter/blog/2015/12/17/announcing-steam-os-support-for-sfv

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
EVO tends to use consoles. So unless they change their minds next year, or if there's an adapter for the Steam Controller to be used on a PS4, don't get your hopes up.

i love watching people respond seriously to obvious joke posts

also, this is pretty cool and unexpected

EVO tends to use consoles. So unless they change their minds next year, or if there's an adapter for the Steam Controller to be used on a PS4, don't get your hopes up.

I was just really just joking around. Though if we're being serious, considering the amount of controller modders out there, it wouldn't surprise if someone did actually mod their controller for it to actually work on PS4.

Snake Eyez Luffy plays with a PS1 pad after all, even on PS4 (though he has to keep reverifying after every match).

Kumubou

That is shockingly forward-thinking on Capcom's part.

In some ways, I could see a SteamOS version being best for tournaments but that would require a lot of small (and some major) issues with SteamOS being addressed.

Well, what's likely to happen it is it having a dev binding using the stick, face and shoulder buttons and maybe it'll get a binding menu similar to Portal 2. Don't think Capcom will do things with the pads? (Users can set them if they want to anyway.) But yeah, nice news.

Neoxon

I was just really just joking around. Though if we're being serious, considering the amount of controller modders out there, it wouldn't surprise if someone did actually mod their controller for it to actually work on PS4.

Snake Eyez plays with a PS1 pad after all, even on PS4 (though he has to keep reverifying after every match).
I know there's a PS3-to-PS4 adapter, but does it also work with PC controllers.

I want someone to win EVO with a steam controller.

Pokken controller all the way

CWQUTvmUwAALQlW.jpg:orig

Mokubba

Snake Eyez plays with a PS1 pad after all, even on PS4 (though he has to keep reverifying after every match).
IIRC he plays with a mad catz controller.
Luffy plays with a PS1 pad.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wonder how they'll layout the Steam controller. Given the virtual buttons on the right pad leaves a LOT to be desired on Street 4.

In any case the bigger news here is that Capcom is doing a Linux port. If other Japanese developers start to follow then Valve's push into Linux will finally bear fruit. But I'm not holding my breath on that happening just yet.

Whoa. Now this is unexpected. Biggest get for SteamOS and SteamMachines so far? First Japanese game certainly.

In terms of Japanese support? Yeah. In terms of consumers jumping ship from Windows? Highly unlikely. There has to be more support/a bigger push to get people to start to consider leaving the Windows ecosystem that has more games than Linux.

Durante

That's very neat and unexpected.

Vulkan needs to hurry up so you can actually get competitive/better performance consistently on non-Windows OSes.

Nzyme32

HOLY SHIT - bad. ass!

I love the Steam Controller thus far and have had great success with it over a ds3 or 360 controller for fighting games with some time to get acclimated. However native support for this is an experiment I want to see for sure! And cool for Linux folk too of course. I'll be giving this a try through Windows.

Capcom - You have just earned yourself a sale!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Not really. It has more buttons than a regular controller, and there's people that play with those.

people play with a keyboard too, which is equally crazy to me

4 face buttons and no traditional d-pad seems like it's more trouble than it's worth

#arcadeStickOrBust

TheSeks

people play with a keyboard too, which is equally crazy to me

4 face buttons and no traditional d-pad seems like it's more trouble than it's worth

#arcadeStickOrBust

The left-pad is actually pretty good for fighters believe it or not. It takes a bit to adjust (like... an arcacde stick) but it works. The major problem I had (and why I dropped going further with it) was the right-side buttons. Virtual buttons on the right-pad was awful. ABXY was placed in a bad position for pro-longed play. The bumpers and triggers were also bad.

But if someone modded it to be left pad with an arcade-like layout? It'd be a serious contender.

Crayon

Wow I guess didn't need that ps4 after all. I only have one machine that can run sf5 and it doesn't run Windows.

Maztorre

Great to hear, very unexpected. I'm a stick player but will definitely try the Steam controller this weekend.

I wonder how far they will integrate native support. Theoretically they could allow per-character button bindings, trackpad sensitivity/deadzones, etc if they really wanted. So e.g. having a d-pad on left trackpad with stricter inputs/deadzones for certain cast members and looser inputs for 360 motions. Very cool either way.

Nzyme32

The left-pad is actually pretty good for fighters believe it or not. It takes a bit to adjust (like... an arcacde stick) but it works. The major problem I had (and why I dropped going further with it) was the right-side buttons. Virtual buttons on the right-pad was awful. ABXY was placed in a bad position for pro-longed play. The bumpers and triggers were also bad.

But if someone modded it to be left pad with an arcade-like layout? It'd be a serious contender.

Pretty much agree. The left pad as a dpad works extremely well once accustomed to it, but I have to use the physical buttons for now. For other games it is not problem, but there is something about fighting games where I just need the physical buttons. I suppose I could map the controls to triggers, grips and shoulders, but I already have the layout so heavily memorised for KI and MK9 that I simply can't attempt anything else without a massive learning time that I am not willing to do right now. The buttons and left pad work perfectly well but I can't say "arcade stick" levels. I haven't used one to make such a comparison.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
physical buttons in fighters also makes the game more visceral and satisfying to play, imo

yeah? i'd love to see a modded 6 button controller with that d-pad someday

TheSeks

yeah? i'd love to see a modded 6 button controller with that d-pad someday

...Yes? It's not a physical D-pad. In fact that D-pad isn't even raised or anything. Think a laptops trackpad and you're halfway to what the Steam controller pads actually are. If you set the mode to "D-pad" and swipe you'll hit things like you would an actual D-pad muuuch easier than a physical D-pad.

LInux 4 me

Well, I also have the PS4 version preordered, but a Linux port for this means I'll be all over it. Now, if only more devs that use UE would follow suit, we might just have more high profile games ported.

CO_Andy

...Yes? It's not a physical D-pad. In fact that D-pad isn't even raised or anything. Think a laptops trackpad and you're halfway to what the Steam controller pads actually are. If you set the mode to "D-pad" and swipe you'll hit things like you would an actual D-pad muuuch easier than a physical D-pad.
But that means you have to lift your thumb up when you don't want your character to move. Holding your hand in that positon causes fatigue after a while. On a dpad you can just let your thumb rest.

Top Bottom