• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought a slim PStwo - WTF is up with these buttons?

Baron

Seriously - who designed this thing? The buttons are almost impossible to find, much less try to operate. The power button is a tiny sliver of plastic precariously perched on a raised fin of black that is flush with the rest of the thing. It's a pain in the ass to hold down when I want to turn this thing off.

Here's where the machine sits in my home for now:

pstwo.jpg

Tell me (without taking the power light into consideration) that it is not difficult to find the buttons on the front of that machine. My lady-friend wasn't able to open the deck and change games without me pointing out precisely where each button was. They are ridiculously obscured. This is just poor design.

While I'm complaining in full swing, it's also hard to remove a disc from the tray. There's virtually no gap under which you can grab the disc to pull it out. Cool form factor and tiny size be damned, I prefer the original model PS2 for mere ease of use. At least it had a buttons the size of my finger pad that I could find and easily operate.

This thing? PShaw. Tell me why I shouldn't return this and track down a fatty original PS2 instead. Really - are there any die-hard documented flaws with the original model that this slimmer one does away with? All I want is a set of buttons I can use.

Ian

No offence, but do you have particularly fat fingers? I don't have any of the problems you describe.

Barnolde

Banned
Christ, they're not that bad. I just got a PStwo as well after owning a fat PS2 for about a week a month ago. The fat PS2 had even worse placed buttons, not to mention a stupid power switch in the back. I keep my PStwo in a drawer and I don't even look when I reach my hand in there, feel around for the power button and hold it for two seconds, granted it's not as easy as Xbox/GC/360, etc, but it's not that hard at all.

The PStwo reads discs, that alone should make it worth keeping for obvious reasons. Fat PS2 = DRE, slim PStwo = no DRE.

Baron

Beezy said:
It's not as hard as you make it seem...

When turning the machine off I need to hunt down and hold a sliver of plastic down for several seconds with the tip of my fingernail. No, it's not another holocaust, of course, but it's damn annoying.

Tieno

The fingers you have used to dial are too fat. To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your palm ... now

madmook

I love the flush buttons. The less stuff jutting out the better. It's not hard to turn off the PStwo at all. You can grip the edge of the console (where the bottom half is recessed) while you hold the power button.

I bought a PS2 slim last Saturday and despite the fact that the power/reset button is more integrated into the design, I still had no problem finding it due to the LIGHT EMITTING FROM IT.

As for difficulty holding it down, try not using greasy, pizza sauce-and-gaming-geek post-pubescent body sweat smeared fingers to operate it.

Barnolde

Banned
Tieno said:
The fingers you have used to dial are too fat. To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with your palm ... now

:lol

You don't even need to use your fingernail, just hold your fat finger on the button and push down for two seconds.

Raiden

Banned
Yeah they're not the most comfortable to work with, but it hasnt really bothered me you know. What does bother me is that you have to keep the power button pressed for a while, and that it always stays in stand-by mode...not you know...complain about the buttons:lol

Ponn

Banned
Baron said:
This thing? PShaw. Tell me why I shouldn't return this and track down a fatty original PS2 instead. Really - are there any die-hard documented flaws with the original model that this slimmer one does away with? All I want is a set of buttons I can use.

Lets see...

-Slim as hell
-Quiet enough to hear a pin drop
-Progressive Scan DVD player
-ethernet built in

Did I mention quiet and slim as hell?

Baron

aztrex said:
I bought a PS2 slim last Saturday and despite the fact that the power/reset button is more integrated into the design, I still had no problem finding it due to the LIGHT EMITTING FROM IT.

You have a point - but you see, at my place the system isn't at eye level, it's only about three feet above the ground. Try looking directly down at the thing from 3 feet up - the light isn't visible at all.

M3wThr33

Banned
I always make an L with my thumb and index finger and brush my thumb alongside the power button. How is that difficult?
I've never had any issue or considered any with that design.

Tarazet

Baron said:
You have a point - but you see, at my place the system isn't at eye level, it's only about three feet above the ground. Try looking directly down at the thing from 3 feet up - the light isn't visible at all.

Do not only do you have fat fingers, but you can't kneel safely, either? ;)

Meier

I'm tempted to get a slim PS2 just for the extra controller. I wonder if EB/GameStop even let you trade in an old PS2 or not at this point. My current controller has been pretty much ruined from Shadow of the Colossus and Kingdom Hearts II. Stupid overuse of the X button.. :(

Endgegner

I sorta agree, although I think you get used to it pretty fast. I don't understand why they didn't add an "eject function" to the dvd holder. Just push on it and make the disc pop up like on some discmans. It's the same on the gc but the distance between disc and ground of the inner machine is a lot bigger than in the PS2two.

M3wThr33

Banned
sonarrat said:

You don't even need to kneel. You'd only need to kneel the FIRST TIME unless you continually forget where the button is.

The only thing holding my PS2 is it's own box on the floor. I have to partially reach around furniture just to hit the power on/off button. I have never had any sort of difficulty performing this task. The buttons seem to protrude just enough for me to never miss them.

I'm finding this very difficult to understand.

Baron

sonarrat said:

Heh, there's a coffee table of sorts two feet in front of the TV and PS2 that kind of obstructs any kneeling that might occur. I don't have a vast, cavernous den from which I game in High-Definition Television.

And for the non-believers - my svelte, non-plump fingers. I have been told I have the hands of a piano player.

sveltefingers.jpg

Raiden

Banned
Meier said:
I'm tempted to get a slim PS2 just for the extra controller. My current one has been pretty much ruined from Shadow of the Colossus and Kingdom Hearts II. Stupid overuse of the X button.. :(

Why dont you just buy a new controller?

And why am i trying to make sense?

Raiden

Banned
Baron said:
Heh, there's a coffee table of sorts two feet in front of the TV and PS2 that kind of obstructs any kneeling that might occur. I don't have a vast, cavernous den from which I game in High-Definition Television.

And for the non-believers - my svelte, non-plump fingers. I have been told I have the hands of a piano player.

sveltefingers.jpg

I hope thats your girlfriends feet, otherwise you have girlfeets and the internets will laugh at you.

Meier said:
I'm tempted to get a slim PS2 just for the extra controller. I wonder if EB/GameStop even let you trade in an old PS2 or not at this point. My current controller has been pretty much ruined from Shadow of the Colossus and Kingdom Hearts II. Stupid overuse of the X button.. :(

Get the Logitech wireless controller instead. You'll never go back.

WalkMan

Banned
Seriously, the eject and the power button are both on the second ridge. They're very easy to press, I didn't even think people could have trouble pressing these buttons the console if they could press the buttons on the controller.

Meier

Raiden said:
Why dont you just buy a new controller?

And why am i trying to make sense?

New controller costs 30 bucks.. if I can get $50-60 for my old PS2 (had it for 5 years), it'd probably be worth trading it in.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Solution: Don't push it straight-on with an extended index finger.

To eject: Rest your hand on top of the ps2, extend your thumb outward and hook around the front edge to push the button. (Or some variation on this)

To power off: Move your hand to the side and turn so the fingers point toward the left side(if right-handed), and push the button with your thumb almost like you were clicking a pen or mechanical pencil. (Or some variation)

Dude, what the ****'s wrong with you? The power button is on the right side below the dvd cover, the eject button is on the left. How hard is that? If you have a problem hitting those buttons, i'm surprised you're able to find your way around a Dual Shock.

Hitokage said:

To eject: Rest your hand on top of the ps2, extend your thumb outward and hook around the front edge to push the button. (Or some variation on this)

To power off: Move your hand to the side and turn so the fingers point toward the left side(if right-handed), and push the button with your thumb almost like you were clicking a pen or mechanical pencil. (Or some variation)

Sorry man but this entire post is embarassing. Why do we have to tell some guy how to turn a slim PS2 off and on? My friend got one and he turned it on in like 1 second.. same for his friends who used it. I don't get it!

Kangu

Banned
Hitokage said:

To think such instructions are even necessary. It's like the instructions on the back of shampoo bottles.

Baron

Kangu said:
To think such instructions are even necessary. It's like the instructions on the back of shampoo bottles.

have you ever read the instructions on the back of shampoo bottles? Oddly enough, they direct you to wash your hair, rinse, then wash your hair again. Two washings in one shower?

Sometimes they don't even direct you stop at "again", and just state you should "wash as needed". WTF is up with that?

bluemax

Banned
There's a power button on the Slim PS2? Or did they redo them and add one? I bought mine two years ago and other than the reset switch I don't recall there being a power button...

Top Bottom