• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense Edge | Review Thread

So I finally decided to return mine.

I do actually really like it (love it even), but at $215 after tax I don't think it transforms my personal gameplay enough to warrant the cost. The way the controller feels and the stick sensitivity settings are my favorite but I do find myself forgetting to use the paddles a lot.

Could I train myself better? Absolutely but $200 is just too much for a controller for me at this time.

MikeM

So I finally decided to return mine.

I do actually really like it (love it even), but at $215 after tax I don't think it transforms my personal gameplay enough to warrant the cost. The way the controller feels and the stick sensitivity settings are my favorite but I do find myself forgetting to use the paddles a lot.

Could I train myself better? Absolutely but $200 is just too much for a controller for me at this time.
I ultimately returned mine too at $300 CAD. Not worth it and that pays for a lot of new games.

I’ll probably buy whenever it gets a decent discount. Great controller but not at that price.

Sleepwalker

I ultimately returned mine too at $300 CAD. Not worth it and that pays for a lot of new games.

I’ll probably buy whenever it gets a decent discount. Great controller but not at that price.

$300 is highway robbery for Canada to be fair, I'd consider it towards 150 ish.

Tams

Four back buttons/paddles, and I'd have bought one. I'm not willing to compromise for that price though.

Well, a battery compartment that could take a pack or AAs would have been nice, but that I could have just about compromised on.

Just got mine. Love the "minstrel"(uk candy) style back buttons, never got on with the flat paddles. The ability to easily switch the thumb stick styles and tweak the stick inputs sells it for me as I'm a big fps player. I'd say probably £50 too expensive but that's the world we live in today unfortunately. Solidly built, I probably give it 7/10, points lost for expense and lack of replaceable batteries. Worth it if you play shooters and have enough disposable income.

Aaron Olive

Going forward I feel like the added buttons should be the natural evolution to a standard DualSense 2 for PS6. It would be beneficial to add more buttons instead of mapping Dodge/Deflect to O.

DanEON

I got my Edge yesterday and I loved it. Everything about it. The grip. The triggers travel stops, which is great for gyro aim games, so whith a short trigger travel your hand doesnt shake when you press the trigger, so your aim is more precise. The back buttons are great, both of them.
Also, there is already an Steam Beta update that let you map all the new buttons from the Edge, even the FN ones, but you need to use Steam Big Picture.

One thing that disappointed me is that you cant map the back buttons to active the Gyroscope. It doesnt show on the drop down menu on steam. So I thought that maybe by using the PS5 to map the back button to the Touch Pad Click, and then map the gyro to Touch Pad Click, but somehow it does not work. So I had to map it to X (or Square, or R3, depending the game), but it wont work for every game since these buttons are used for other actions.

I just hope steam fixes it on future updates.

small_law

Just got one this past weekend. Played enough Destiny 2 with it to have some initial thoughts:

1. It's better-built than any Scuf controller I've ever used. Better materials, more solid construction.
2. Of the controllers I've owned that let you adjust the thumbstick response curves, this the first time I've ever noticed huge differences when setting different curves. Both Xbox Elite controllers let you do it, but I never felt like setting different curves made much of a difference.
3. Holding down the function tab to adjust headset volume is unbelievably convenient.
4. The little nubs you can use instead of the back paddles feel surprisingly nice.
5. The hair trigger setting feels solid, but I always worry about wearing them down or having them break.
6. The back paddle I assigned as "jump" got a little mushy feeling after long stretches of use.
7. The locking clasp for the USB C connection to the controller is nice, but somewhat unsightly. I still want it on there though.
8. I wish it included more and different thumbsticks.
9. I have no issue with paying $20 for one replacement thumbstick to have on hand if one breaks or starts drifting. There is no worse feeling than being stuck with a broken controller late at night.
10. I always plug my controllers in, so battery life doesn't matter to me. The cable is obscenely long, which is great to have.

So far, it's easily on par with either Xbox elite controller and two rungs up the ladder from any Scuf controller I've owned.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This is my favorite controller ever. Having all the saved profiles for individual games a button press away is unbelievably convenient. (No more keeping a notebook full of key bindings and settings for every different game and having to reconfigure every time I switch games).

Anyway, a question about the analog curve settings:

Does changing these curves only augment the existing settings in a game, or do these overwrite the settings at a system level? My instinct is that it's just augmenting whatever is already in the game (so it cannot necessarily completely remedy the innate problems with a game's analog curve) but I'm curious if that's indeed the case. Couldn't find this specifically addressed anywhere online.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Would it be reasonable to assume that if they do make a PS5 Pro, this "Edge" controller would be the pack-in?
Sure, if they have no problem selling the Pro with a $800 dollar base price. Pro itself will probably be $600. Too much profit margin to bundle the controller in and sell it cheaper. These "PRO" controllers in all honesty probably cost $25 dollars at the most to make.
It never happened with the Elite and it won't happen here. Although one can argue that the Elite is a last gen controller.

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

Seriously ? That kind of battery is not needed ???
I charge it once a week maybe more than that and u say its not needed , good for u man goodluck with ur 4 hour battery
I own a charging dock and at the end every playing session i put them in there. I have never drained my controller ever. But I understand if you insist on charging once a week to make a point.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
For the majority of people, the battery life of the Edge is more than satisfactory.
It’s not about battery life alone. There is nothing more annoying than picking a premium joystick and having the need to charge it before use. This definitely happens more often with the Edge due to the smaller battery.

Last edited:

RafterXL

I dunno why people keep defending the dogshit batteries in these controllers. They're objectively terrible. You can like a product and still recognize it's faults, you don't have to slurp every aspect to defend it being good product.

The Elite is a great controller, but the battery is not. If I could only own one controller the battery would completely eliminate the Elite as a choice. It's also is not anywhere close to 8 hours and will die in less than 4 If you're playing a game that heavily uses DS features. I know because I own 2 of them due to the number of times I've had the thing go low battery during play sessions.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I dunno why people keep defending the dogshit batteries in these controllers. They're objectively terrible. You can like a product and still recognize it's faults, you don't have to slurp every aspect to defend it being good product.

The Elite is a great controller, but the battery is not. If I could only own one controller the battery would completely eliminate the Elite as a choice. It's also is not anywhere close to 8 hours and will die in less than 4 If you're playing a game that heavily uses DS features. I know because I own 2 of them due to the number of times I've had the thing go low battery during play sessions.
I personally am not defending its weak battery as it does suck, it just wasn't near a deal breaking for me especially since I picked up 2 more from Best Buy open box buys at $149 each which is a much better buy

Umbasaborne

Banned
I hope they put out a revision with improved battery life, its a beautiful looking controller, but 200 bucks for such short use time isn’t appealing to me

Bond007

I really want this and am super tempted daily.
But i will hold out for hope of a small discount around the holidays. Say $150

Imagine paying 200 dollars for a controller and needing to charge before every session. Stop defending bullshit, just because ur ok charging it everyday doesn't mean everyone else is
Its kinda stupid to not charge your stuff every day. It's a bad habit to let stuff fully discharge.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Imagine paying 200 dollars for a controller and needing to charge before every session. Stop defending bullshit, just because ur ok charging it everyday doesn't mean everyone else is
If I am ok charging it everyday why would I throw a tantrum?

If you are not take it up with Sony and try to get them to change it

If You Say So Shrug GIF

Bond007

For you guys using this with GT7- what is youR config? How are you implementing the paddles?
Love the controller- but looking for the best implementation. I know its all personal preference but i am curious.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
For you guys using this with GT7- what is youR config? How are you implementing the paddles?
Love the controller- but looking for the best implementation. I know its all personal preference but i am curious.
I haven't played a lot of GT7 (it just didn't do it for me) but I used my back paddles to shift gears

MikeM

I returned one a few weeks back and caved just now and bought another lol

Any of you buy extended warranties on these?

Kings Field

After months of use since launch this is my favorite controller I’ve ever used. I didn’t think I would like having only two back paddles but I usually only use two anyway even on the Elite 2 and it just feels less cluttered with having two there. It would have been nice to have the option for four for the people that use it though.

next time I’m at Best Buy I will probably grab one of the replaceable sticks just to have on hand but so far after 7 months it’s been great. Even better than my Scuf.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , I know you were going to get the Victrix, did you ever end up grabbing one? I saw one at my local GameStop and was tempted to buy it just to compare but after reading some reviews on it I decided against it and just stick with the Edge.

Top Bottom