• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crazy temperatures: Winter solstice 2015 may be as warm as this year's summer solstic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What's up with these crazy temperatures? Here we'll have between 20c and 30c difference VS normals on the 24th.

Screw this "oh no 2c+ in 100 years" thing, this is way over the line and I've never seen anything like that, ever, not even close at all.

Found an article on the UK, seems to be pretty widespread (I'm in Canada):

Winter solstice 2015 may be as warm as this year's summer solstice, Met Office says

Some parts of Britain could be as warm during the winter solstice this year as they were on the summer solstice in June, forecasters have said.

Falling on 22 December, the shortest day of 2015 looks set to be record-breakingly mild, with temperatures in excess of 16C possible across south-east England.
Read more
Google marks the shortest day of the year with a Doodle

A spokesperson for the Met Office told The Independent that temperatures in some parts of Britain have already beaten the high of 14C recorded in Glasgow on 21 June.

Squalor

Mid-Atlantic here.

It has been ridiculously warm this December and November.

Hell, it's supposed to be 72 °F here on Christmas Eve and Christmas.

Canadian here.

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO WATCH HOME ALONE WITHOUT SNOW? I swear Christmas is ruined. We dont even have a tree up

gerg

While I don't mind the warm weather, it's interesting to see what effects this will have on wildlife if it sustains itself. Here we're having daffodils blooming, dragonflies living longer than usual, bats not hibernating and birds not migrating.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
14 celsius on December 24th in Quebec, Canada is going to give one shitty Christmas.

Jonm1010

Banned
I mean, I'm in Louisiana so its always sorta warm most of the year. However, normally, between November and March we fairly regularly drop down to the 40's, 50's and occasional 30's.

It is like 80 something degrees today. Nearly as humid as the Summer. And the temp has barely dropped except for maybe 2 or so days this Winter with a cold front.

And the far out forecasts have us not dropping under 60 for the foreseeable future. Scared for summer TBH lol.

Futureman

is there a website that you can look up what the temperature was on a specific day? Curious to see what the temp was in Pittsburgh on the summer solstice.

edit: looks like accuweather.com has it...

EthanC

Banned
Mid-Atlantic here.

It has been ridiculously warm this December and November.

Hell, it's supposed to be 72 °F here on Christmas Eve and Christmas.

Mid-atlantic here also. Gonna be 75 on Christmas Eve and 73 on Chrismast. 78 tomorrow. Thunderstorms forecast for all three days. If PSN doesn't kill my chances of using my PS4 this holiday, a bolt of lightning might.

-Eddman-

Mexican here. We've never been a cold country, but 2015 has been ridiculous. 30-35°C in the middle of november/early december is horrible.

I know the planet is suffering from el niño's effects, but it's scary to think global warming might cause this to be the norm in the future.

Hip Hop

What's crazy is that in Arizona, at least where I'm at, has been colder than before.

dipping to the lower 40 F degrees at night and lower 60 F during the day.

sinxtanx

weather be fucked up when I can go outside during winter in a t-shirt IN SWEDEN and be ok

weather just be fucked up then

Warmest Christmas season ever here in Jax. It's going to be 84 F Thursday.

Mosquitos are awful right now on top of it. I'm sure whatever bugs normally eat them were driven away during the brief bit of cold weather we've had so far.

How the f*** is London warmer than Los Angeles? Not at this moment, but it has been warmer than Los Angeles based on chats with my family in London.

Please use less gasoline, and eat less meat folks. This is not a good trend.

How the f*** is London warmer than Los Angeles? Not at this moment, but it has been warmer than Los Angeles based on chats with my family in London.

Please use less gasoline, and eat less meat folks. This is not a good trend.

Use less gasoline? Okay I'll try
Eat less meat? fuuuuuuck that. Can't we just put a bag over the cows assholes to collect the methane/CO2 and have it disposed?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So we can expect some nice bug invasions by the next summer and many of them having moved further north? :(

Syriel

What's up with these crazy temperatures? Here we'll have between 20c and 30c difference VS normals on the 24th.

Screw this "oh no 2c+ in 100 years" thing, this is way over the line and I've never seen anything like that, ever, not even close at all.

Found an article on the UK, seems to be pretty widespread (I'm in Canada):

Winter solstice 2015 may be as warm as this year's summer solstice, Met Office says

Didn't like the fact that the other thread said "Christmas" instead of "Winter solstice?" ;)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1160670

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom