• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Mass Effect 2 changed my life in gaming forever

Good evening, GAF. Hpy Nw Yr.

So about, 6 years ago now, I heard about Mass Effect 2, and it was all the craze - may not've been a huge seller, but it was toted as something truly captivating. But at the time, it was a 360 console exclusive.

So I didn't pay much attention, but rumors and evidence for a Ps3 port was talked about throughout the year, with Bioware denying it, until they finally announced that it was coming to Ps3.

It ended up launching on January 18th, (one day before my birthday but at the time more importantly, the same day as LBP2, which also ended up being one of my favorite Ps3 games) and at FULL price, $60, so I held off from purchasing it.

That summer though, I found it for like $30-35 on eBay, so I bought it and figured I'd give it a shot.

(paragon)
tumblr_mrjlcgo18l1qzfv21o1_500.gif

(renegade)
tumblr_n08aybaorp1s6cv4ro1_500.gif

Oh my God.

Whatever ea or bioware hoped to achieve with releasing Me2 on Ps3, I am the epitome of it. I discovered Mass Effect, and I fell in love with it. Never before have I been so immersed in a fictional universe. It may also have been one of the first most personal RPGs I ever played. My friends told me about Dragon Age; I tried out Da3 a while back but I couldn't really click with it. But I do love the space/astronomy stuff
even though as a kid I never cared for Star Wars and the Force Awakens was the first one I saw :p

plus, I love games with a good story/story as a main focus. That's also why later on, I ended up liking Yakuza 3 a lot too, and also why, if any of you remember, I became really conflicted on which of the two games I liked better; Uc2 or Me2, and made the thread about it. Results, both in posts and the poll was pretty interesting imo. Similar to that Kazuya vs Kazuma thread of recent, which to me seems like the closest poll in GAF history...

But anyways, Me2 became the first platinum trophy I earned; the first game I ever had the desire to platinum because I loved it so much; funny thing, I googled the best way to do so and it told me Soldier was the easiest way to beat the game on Insanity. Perhaps that is true! I display the plat proudly. After that I tried platinuming TTTHD but I've needed some help with it.

And I feel as though I am in the minority about this; I feel like the vast majority of the people who hated the Me3 ending, or at least the vast majority of the "voice" was on 360. I am someone who played on Ps3, someone who didn't get to play Me1 until after rest who was extremely outraged, and to this day, still not satisfied with the end package. That's how much ME meant to me. Me4 is still one of my top 3 most anticipated of next year though.

I even bought an n7 hoodie, I sported quite often during the month of Ramadan last year when I went to masjid for those after break-fast long night prayers (tarabi).

Those 2 gifs up top were supposed to mean that, like, my eyes got opened up by the game, sorry if that was unclear.

Two last things I want to mention, I don't want to get too into my personal life or psychological issues into this thread however - in my first playthrough, I played as femshep, and I named her after my grandmother. And I know this sounds corny, but I like to think in my head that my grandmother is femshep, reincarnated, in that future setting'd universe. My grandmother is currently my only living grandparent and she's getting really old. I've only met her 3 times in my life, but I think about her a lot. I feel for my mother a lot because she hasn't gotten to see her in so long.

The other thing is, and I wrote about it briefly here, over the past few years I've been mentally writing and keeping note of a juggernaut fanfiction I've been writing in my head called Mass Effect x Yakuza. I dunno if I'll ever get around to physically finishing it as in putting it all down in paper, but I think it'd be neat.

tl;dr

I smoked a little bit at a New Year's party and
came home to play some Mass Effect 2 for a little bit before watching the ball drop with my mother. Played Legion's loyalty mission.

No game has ever had me so immersed into its world as Mass Effect 2. Everything that ea and bioware hoped to achieve with releasing Me2 on Ps3, I am that resulting manifestation. I know the cool and popular thing is to hate ea, but me personally, I do not hate them. It is thanks to them that I was able to enjoy the beautiful thing that is Me2, on my Ps3.

Photoon1-30-15at651PM.jpg

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
One third of the most important, and by far the most influential, new IP I've had the pleasure of experiencing in the past decade.

Mass Effect changed my life, yo. And Mass Effect 2 is an integral part of that. Here's to another eight years.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I know that feeling although it was the feeling I had playing ME1. Picked it up for like $5 after finally getting myself a 360 for college, always had a PS3 before hand. I heard some stuff and hype about it's sequel coming out soon but knew nothing about it. Played the game and was blown away so ME2 immediately shot up to one of my most anticipated games ever and it didn't disappoint.

I will agree that most of the outrage would come from people like myself that played the series from the beginning since everything in Me1 seems to contradict with the ending we got in ME3. As good as ME2 is it is very similar to the Empire Strikes Back in that it doesn't move the overall plot along but is more about character building, as a result if you only played ME2 and ME3 you would have the same knowledge about the Reapers and the whole conflict as someone that started with ME1.

televator

Play the first and build up your character across the trilogy. DO NOT play the third game without the extended ending, Citadel, and maybe Leviathan and Javik.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Don't romance Jacob as FemShep. He'll break your heart and brush it off like it was nothing.

Majestad

Banned
ME2 is one of the best games of all time. Recruiting your team and doing the suicide mission is still one of the most memorable things I've experienced in a game. From the beginning, to the ending, this game is incredible.

AniHawk

i think me2 is the most fun one in the series. it's a pretty radical departure from the first in how it was presented and how it didn't actually have a plot or anything, but the little character 'episodes' were fun and entertaining. i think someone here described the first mass effect as a 1970s sci-fi film, and mass effect 2 as a 1980s sci-fi tv show. and really, it felt like a loose collection of dlc missions. this isn't really a problem until mass effect 3 and there was obviously no plan on how to resolve anything as what had been promised since the first game.

mass effect 2 was also the first time i saw a game community lovingly poke fun at the game's own logic. the spoiler threads for it were people who found a lot of enjoyment with the game, but had fun in pointing out how little the overarching plot made sense, or even how certain episodes didn't make sense. i don't think you can get that out of a whole lot of games to be honest. mass effect 2 is a unique case for me in that regard.

Take away the planet mining bullshit and I'd definitely replay this. This was the closest we've ever been to a good Star Trek game. It's a shame that Bioware burnt their bridges in Mass Effect 3 because I could have really got behind the universe they built in the first two and a half games.

ME2 really did a great job of refining the gameplay from the first one.

I think it fell short of ME1 in the story department, although I did enjoy the character missions for what they were.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Why can't you write PS3? or ME2?

The game was good even if it is ultimately skippable between 1 and 2 story-wise.

This - romance Thane instead.

It actually makes events in the third game more meaningful.
I forgot about space cancer Thane. :'(

Siha~

Mass Effect 1 changed my wrpg life. I was blown away that I can make dialogue choices and be an ass hole dialogue wise if I want to in a video game. Then it took it a step further when I released I can use my characters charm to have sex with Ashley and even aliens in the game. Mind blown. Addicted to wrpg ever since.

galv

Unconfirmed Member
Played Mass Effect 2 before any of the others.

I've played it through 3 times (which is a rarity for me. I rarely ever watch/play movies/games again and again).

I love that game to death.

Unlike most, I actually don't mind the reduced RPG elements and I don't mind the loss of the Mako from ME1. ME2 was a journey for me, not a game. It was an experience. I didn't mind the linearity for that reason either.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Mass Effect 1 changed my wrpg life. I was blown away that I can make dialogue choices and be an ass hole dialogue wise if I want to in a video game. Then it took it a step further when I released I can use my characters charm to have sex with Ashley and even aliens in the game. Mind blown. Addicted to wrpg ever since.
lmao

Madness

Mass Effect 1 was the game for me, especially when I got to Ilos. The first time in a long time I actually felt a video game had gone beyond movies or books for me, especially by the time I got to Ilos. Mass Effect 2 was pretty amazing as well, I still remember the opening mission, then waking up with Cerberus, the first time going to Omega, Ilium, going back to the Citadel.

Love Mass Effect and as disheartened as I was by ME3 end, I'm super excited for Andromeda, hoping they recapture that magic, awe and wonder.

It was an ok shooter but I felt really let down as a follow up to Mass Effect 1.

Sure Mass Effect 1 was a broken RPG in just about every way, but at least it felt like a RPG. Instead of fixing all those elements, they simply removed them in favour of more action and ramped up the polish.

Which is why I think ME3 is the better game, because it is a better shooter again. The ending was stupid? True! But the story in ME2 was actually much worse, so I don't know why fans complained about it.

I have no idea what the new Mass Effect will be, but a RPG with all the potential of ME1 realised? Me-thinks not.

I loved the combat refinements control wise, and loved that it smoothed out a lot of the jank in ME1, but man, it still doesn't touch ME1 story wise for me.

I still love the game though.

Soi-Fong

Know this feeling. I played Mass Effect 2 for the first time about a month ago and it's just been an amazing ride!! The story, the lore and the world!! I just love it so much. There's so much detail in the game!! Bought Mass Effect 3 and I'll be playing it soon.

Also, Tali is best waifu!! :D

Personally, the best game of the past generation.

I recieved it as a gift, and it blew my mind. I have never experienced an inmersive final mission as I did with the Suicide Mission.

And the OST? Oh my god, I dream of entering an space bar and listen to this while I'm walking into it.

Damn, I think I'll have to reinstall it.

5taquitos

Such a great game, such a lame final boss.

Edit: Oh god I want to read your Mass Effect X Yakuza fanfiction so badly.

It's nice it had such a strong impact on you. I wish I could say the same for me, but with the stripped depth, clunky cover mechanics, and weak story among other things, I just could not love it like I did ME1.

iSnakeTk

Should be put to work in a coal mine.
Easily on of the best games I have ever played.
Sadly Me1 and 3 never reached the same quality as 2.
If they had this would be my favourite trilogy in fiction of anything.

The only decent game out of the whole trilogy... though still had plenty of filler fights. Still not as bad as 3's constant respawn rooms...

Grisby

Probably in my top ten of all time list. Game was so good.

Real shame that Jack Hall didn't come back for 3.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It was an ok shooter but I felt really let down as a follow up to Mass Effect 1.

Sure Mass Effect 1 was a broken RPG in just about every way, but at least it felt like a RPG. Instead of fixing all those elements, they simply removed them in favour of more action and ramped up the polish.

Which is why I think ME3 is the better game, because it is a better shooter again. The ending was stupid? True! But the story in ME2 was actually much worse, so I don't know why fans complained about it.

I have no idea what the new Mass Effect will be, but a RPG with all the potential of ME1 realised? Me-thinks not.
ME2 had a great climatic build up I mean the suicide mission cinematic and final build was great especially if you had a fully upgrade ship. ME3 had better gameplay, though one thing I hated about ME2 was it strict ass alightment requirements, meant you couldn't actually play the game the way you wanted without being punished for unlike with ME where you could be largely but not completely renegade but be able to complete every rebate conversation check with some skills in persuasion (or whatever that star was. Being prevented from certain choices in ME2 because of it pissed me off to no end.

Cromat

Mass Effect is a series of deeply flawed games that feature some of the best if not the best world-building in any video game. That alone makes the series one of the best, despite the horrible ending.

I felt Mass Effect 2 was excellent, even if it fell short of the truly intelligent plot of the first game. I didn't think the Mako sequences were that great so I didn't mind losing them, and the game felt tighter and performed much better (on X360). The suicide mission was fantastic and the character missions were a great way to give depth to the cast.

Mass Effect trilogy in general is a pretty special experience imo... there's nothing quite like it. Dragon Age... Not sure what else, really. Maybe a few that have very light impact (e.g. Suikoden series) but I wish there was more.

Really wish the new Deus Ex or something would tried to take a ME trilogy style approach. It adds so much to the story and your head canon, your choices. Things like (DXHR spoilers)
saving Malik or the Dutchman

several of you have suggested that perhaps Me1 was a better game. the thing is as I explained, perhaps if Me1 came out on Ps3 at an earlier date, I would've the same, however it took ages for it to arrive on Ps3 and because of that, I was able to play it once. While, it feels like I have played Me2 like at least 20 times. Me1 the one time I played it though I thought it was a great game. Flawed, but so is Me2.
lol I have the N7 fleece onesie

I use it when I laze around the house.

http://www.biowarestore.com/n7-armour-stripe-fleece-jumpsuit.html
ah, that's pretty cute lol. I adore the N7 written all around the inside of the hood. the n7 hoodie I have is unofficial though, it's not one sold by bioware. it's got N7 written on the back, and the stripe on the right arm doesn't go passed the shoulder, onto the neck.

there's a youtube video of me singing an eminem song wearing the n7 hoodie, but...I don't think it'd be such a good idea to post it on neoGAF.

Dennis

Banned
ME2 has some memorable characters and missions but it still felt like a step back because they gutted what made the first game so special.

But yeah, the building your team aspect of ME2 was great.

The Mass Effect IP is one of the best, if not the best, IP of recent years.

Nearly 6 years? Damn.
ME2 has some memorable characters and missions but it still felt like a step back because they gutted what made the first game so special.

But yeah, the building your team aspect of ME2 was great.

The Mass Effect IP is one of the best, if not the best, IP of recent years.
That and they removed features that weren't good from the first game instead of fixing them.

Daingurse

Love Mass Effect 2 to death. Was my favorite game from last-gen, easily. Game just fucking resonated with me in a way few games ever have.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.

That's pretty much Mass Effect 2 for me. It's a surreal enigma of a game that managed to both overwhelm with production quality, set pieces, cast, and general adventure. And in the same breath routinely disappoint given the foundations laid by its predecessor.

I can see clearly why it's the most beloved of the three, and how the change in direction benefited the series popularity, as well as where it alone excels versus the original game. But from start to finish I was also disappointed at some of the cuts made to the overall design, and portions of the game's narrative structure.

Weird game.

JeffG

That's pretty much Mass Effect 2 for me. It's a surreal enigma of a game that managed to both overwhelm with production quality, set pieces, cast, and general adventure. And in the same breath routinely disappoint given the foundations laid by its predecessor.

I can see clearly why it's the most beloved of the three, and how the change in direction benefited the series popularity, as well as where it alone excels versus the original game. But from start to finish I was also disappointed at some of the cuts made to the overall design, and portions of the game's narrative structure.

Weird game.

One thing you can say. Bioware isn't afraid to change things up. (For better or worse)

None of the games are perfect, but they have always made a game I enjoy. It is a tough problem though. My perfect game would probably be quite different from others "Perfect" Bioware game.

I think that ME4 will be closer to DA:I than what some people on GAF will like.

nicanica

100% agree.

After Mass Effect 2, I stopped playing JRPGs because I learned I could have a better standard for in-game dialogues in my RPGs.

Late Flag

ME2 really was a pretty spectacular game. I agree with the OP on that. I'm also looking forward to ME4, but there my expectations are lowered quite a bit. I just don't trust Bioware after ME3.

Weird game.
what you have to understand about that is, Me2 was my first exposure to the franchise. I didn't get to experience Me1 first. If I did, perhaps I would share the sentiment of Me1 being the overall better experience. Either way, I do feel that I am in the minority of the ME fan base, being a hardcore fan but having played the series on PlayStation.

Mass Effect 2 was truly a special game for me. (and the first that I played too)

I've never played the first one, but I did play ME3. I thought ME3 was good overall. The ending was kinda lame, but the combat was excellent. However it doesn't compare to ME2.

ME2 just feels so right as part of a trilogy, but also as a standalone game. The story was amazing, and journeying to different planets finding people to help you on the suicide mission was incredible. You meet some truly interesting characters with different motivations and backstories, and developing your team and ship determines who survives. The ending was incredible, the fact that you had no clue what lie ahead kept me on the edge of my seat.

It's one of my favourite games of all time, just 30hrs of bliss.

I never played ME1 but did 2 and 3. I don't know. It seemed like a good concept, but just felt so limited. Take the Citadel of example. For something that's supposed to be so big, they only rendered like 4 or 5 rooms. It's like the equivalent of an RPG town from the 90s. Same thing with the planets. Either you scan for minerals in the most boring way imaginable or you land on the planets which are extremely linear and again are pathetic in terms of scale. They don't feel like planets. They feel like dioramas.

I did enjoy the dialogue and gameplay though and the last mission was really cool, but that last boss was ridiculous and felt out of place. The main plot felt underdeveloped. There were only a handful of main story missions. The rest of the game was just recruiting people and getting their back stories. I liked 3 more. It seemed more focused, but it did suffer some of the same problems. I'm hopeful for Andromeda. Maybe not being held back by last gen consoles will do wonders for the series.

Top Bottom