• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amplitude (PS4) Review Thread

cogconnected - 91/100

It doesn’t look like there’s going to be any extra DLC for Amplitude. I love the idea of getting a complete game, but after the age of Rock Band, it seems anticlimactic to not have any more songs to look forward to. But this is a $20 game, with enough base content for a $70 game, and this gripe is more of a wish, than a “something wrong”.

So there you have it, Amplitude is a dream come true. It is the near perfection of the music/ rhythm genre. It’s extremely fun, and a great local multiplayer gang game. It’s easy to pick up, and play, and satisfying to master.

Twinfinite - 4.5/5

Suffice it to say, Amplitude may not be a perfect game that includes every single thing a fan of the previous games could want, but it certainly met my high overall expectations. It’s not often that I find myself “buying in” to a crowdsourced project, and rarer still that I would spend more than the typical cost of a game on one, but I’m definitely pleased with the result of doing so this time around. I can’t say for certain it will hold much appeal to those who aren’t interested in the genre, but for anyone that is, I consider this a nearly essential purchase when the game releases on January 5th for both PS4 and PS3.

GamingTrend - 80/100

Amplitude is a great rhythm game, with a ton of content for score attack fiends who need their fix. The difficulty ramps up to astronomical levels on Expert and higher, and there’s plenty to love in both the original tracks and the indie game cameo tracks. It isn’t quite a party experience like any other though, so if you’re looking for a game to play with your less musically inclined friends, you likely won’t find that here. But as a revival of the blueprint that started it all, Amplitude is still a blast to play and an experience you won’t find in any other title.

Shack News - 8/10

As a faithful fan of both FreQuency and Amplitude, I'm satisfied with the reboot Harmonix has so lovingly crafted, but as a much different product than the loud, raucous Amplitude I fell in love with as a teenager. I won't keep returning to this Amplitude like I do the 2004 version despite enjoying the soundtrack because it lacks the same kind of replay value for me, but as its own being it absolutely stands on its own feet as a music title evocative of games like Rez or Child of Eden. If you're looking for the next evolution of classic rhythm gaming, this is it...let's just get some additional tracks added into the fold in the future.

Game Informer - 7.75/10

Amplitude is engaging in both solo and multiplayer, since the game adjusts its formula to suit. Single-player is all about precision and focus, demanding a careful attention to power-up usage and streak maintenance. Harmonix has also included the unlockable FreQ Mode for solo players, in which players can alter the display into the circular format seen in the original Frequency. Multiplayer lacks online play, but its local options are robust. Four-player free-for-all quickplay encourages competition, using power-ups to bounce your opponents off their tracks or screw with their visuals. Cooperative and team-based play offer further ways to enjoy with friends, and it’s enormously fun to feel like you’re crafting a song together as a group.

It’s hard to overstate my enthusiasm for the original Amplitude. While I have reservations about some of the music selections and progression, that doesn’t stop me from enjoying this revival. Amplitude is a taste of the past, but it’s far from outdated.

Push Square - 7/10

This is a game clearly made for long-standing fans, and made by a passionate team that strived to recreate the gameplay experience of the original on modern hardware. In that sense, Amplitude is a total success. The way that the game draws you in with its psychedelic visuals, how your brain switches off and your fingers become one with your DualShock, the satisfying way that the tracks disintegrate when you clear them – it's all here. If you can forgive the game's problems, you're left with a very solid rhythm game, and an experience that's as fresh today as it was 13 years ago.

Destructoid - 6.5./10

The original games weren't afraid to get out of their comfort zone with songs like "Dope Nose" from Weezer and "King of Rock" by Run-DMC, and the lack of risk-taking really shows with this new iteration. Another general issue I have is the way songs are doled out while playing. Tracks are locked behind the campaign as previously mentioned, but others require players to complete a ton of songs to access them. One even takes 60 plays to unlock! Why did Harmonix feel the need to do this? To gate the experience and ensure it lasts longer? It goes against the party-like nature of the game, and feels like a relic of the past. I wouldn't mind doing this if the reward were greater (like the original), but it isn't.

Amplitude is a competent rhythm game that should provide lots of fun at parties, but the hamstrung tracklist is a severe detriment to its longevity. Harmonix was able to preserve the classic experience, but may have gone overboard in its effort to do so.

killroy87

Core game looks rock solid, hopefully they can build out the tracklist with some DLC in the future.

Can't wait for my KS code!

Was super excited for this to come out for the early access backers, and I really enjoyed playing through the campaign and getting new songs to unlock. Sadly checked out almost immediately afterwards though as the difficulty spike from Advanced to Expert was too much for me, and what's the point of playing a score attack game if you can't handle the highest difficulty?

Shame - I thought it was a lot of fun, but I just don't have the patience for it any more apparently.

EthanC

Banned
Attack of the Fanboy: 3.5/5

Song choices are woefully inadequate.

Hardcore Gamer: 3.5/5

The issues here revolve around the fact that this game, perhaps more than any other rhythm title in memory, inspires players to crave DLC due to its relatively shallow track list and its content-light package

Gamesbeat: 74/100

The campaign feels empty.

Creating a concept album feels like a story device more in line with music games, since it delivers a story through the actual music rather than through cutscenes outside the songs themselves. But in practice, playing through this 15-song concept album didn’t feel too different from simply playing the album’s fifteen songs in a row on Quickplay. Because the story is in the songs themselves, you get the same tale about two people hoping to revive a comatose patient through a neural experiment either way. I don’t have a problem with this, but it makes separating the album through a separate option pointless.

WeGotThisCovered: 3.5/5

If it isn’t clear, Amplitude has some major problems with its presentation that keep it from being anywhere near as great as the game that inspired it. And yet, when you look at the part that matters most, the result is a title that deserves some attention.

Otaku Coder

Neo Member
Yeah, the KS email says tomorrow. I hope they have their stuff together with regards to EU PSN keys though. I imagine that'll be Wednesday unless it runs afoul of SCEE'S QA process...

Thanks for the thread!

Yeah I'm sold. I liked the original but at the time it was ridiculously difficult compared to the other rhythm offerings at the time and was very intimidating. My tastes have evolved a lot since then. At first glance the tracklist is so-so (where the original's was mind-blowing), but as a $20 title it's going to argue against this.

Dio

Banned
Yeah, a lot of people seem to be ragging on the game's tracklist.

Eh. It's a 20 dollar game and I'm pretty sure they said they wouldn't be able to afford licensing songs like David Bowie and stuff for their old title.

Yeah, the KS email says tomorrow. I hope they have their stuff together with regards to EU PSN keys though. I imagine that'll be Wednesday unless it runs afoul of SCEE'S QA process...
Early access codes worked fine (at least in the UK), so hopefully there should be no issues with regular codes.

On a side note, any word of when the soundtrack is coming out for KS backers? I've had Recession stuck in my head ever since RB4 came out.

They haven't fixed the early backer codes, so I'm looking forward to playing the game a month or two after release. Not really surprised considering their stellar track record in EU.

Rymuth

Playstation Lifestyle - 7.5/10

Amplitude is a labor of love, polished to a beautiful shine and put into fans’ hands by a developer that truly cares about the experience they are offering in revisiting this cult classic. Despite its clean exterior and simple, yet fun gameplay, I fear many will be rather quickly turned away by the steep difficulty curve and a track list that is only good, not great.

Dio

Banned
Surprisingly modest reviews. Heard a ton of high praise on Gaf from the high tier backers.

Well, music taste wildly differs. The common complaint I see is the tracklist not being as strong as previous entries - I will have to listen to it myself to make that judgement.

besada

Banned
Surprisingly modest reviews. Heard a ton of high praise on Gaf from the high tier backers.
And, to be fair, high tier backers probably had a better idea of what they were getting into, and a strong affinity for the game in the first place. We knew the track list wasn't going to be like last time, and that it would mostly be internally produced tracks. And in terms of volume they've outdone the previous games, so it really just comes down to personal taste on the tracks. If EDM is your thing, you're going to like them more than if not.

Amplitude has 2 problems
-The divisive soundtrack
-One surprise at the end of the campaign

Other than that it's a solid game that i really enjoyed.

Dio

Banned
And, to be fair, high tier backers probably had a better idea of what they were getting into, and a strong affinity for the game in the first place. We knew the track list wasn't going to be like last time, and that it would mostly be internally produced tracks. And in terms of volume they've outdone the previous games, so it really just comes down to personal taste on the tracks. If EDM is your thing, you're going to like them more than if not.

Yeah. Hell, I would have liked it if they went full crazy and added some Venetian Snares-esque IDM and breakcore and stuff into the soundtrack.

boinx

I would get this game right away if they had more licensed music from the more UG electronic music scene. Or even if they had rehashed the soundtrack from the first game. Not new I know but still way more appealing than the one we have now. I hope they do some DLC with more licensed music.

rav

I've been enjoying it, I'm new to the series, and have only been using the face buttons rather than the triggers.
I played through the campaign and had a good time, I'm only playing on Intermediate, but the leaderboards with friends who also have it has been fun to compete!
Music is good, only one tracks vocals bother me, and generally I avoid doing the vocal section on it.
I'm not one for long reviews, but I'd buy it again. :)

cj_iwakura

My favorite tracks from the original games were always the EDM, but that's not even the biggest problem. It's that most of it is in-house with very little licenses. They could've easily reached out to any number of indie DJs who I'm sure would've happily offered up their tracks for the publicity.

antitrop

Lookin' good. Cannot wait. Feels like some of the reviews are expecting a little bit too much out of a $20 game.

Loved Frequency and Amplitude (but more-so Frequency), so this has been on my radar. However, the tracklist and mixed reviews have me wondering if I should buy it.

cj_iwakura

Loved Frequency and Amplitude (but more-so Frequency), so this has been on my radar. However, the tracklist and mixed reviews have me wondering if I should buy it.

Some of the new tracks are great, and it sure isn't light on the difficulty. It's just not all it could have been.

Look at the polish of Amplitude BGAs like Nitro Narcosis and Subculture. That was almost ten years ago.

Nothing in Amplitude 2 looks that good.

Also, I am personally not pleased with how they're treating the PS3 backers. (Meaning giving us a needless delay.)

ookamunka

Neo Member
I'm really digging the soundtrack so far, especially the in house "concept album" tracks. The songs give me a Beatmania IIDX vibe in a lot of ways, and they're fun to play. Understand the divisiveness about the song selection though.

sn00zer

Demo was great, will pick up the full version on sale (this is not a knock against the game I just don pay full price for games ever)

Top Bottom