• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC reporter has adverse reaction to VR

Jackpot

Banned
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35239815

Tech demos don't always go to plan.

Today it was my turn, as a virtual reality demo here at the CES tech show went badly wrong.

The day's first experience was mind blowing. Inside a small empty room, wearing an HTC Vive, I climbed Mount Everest.

The graphics were superb - actual footage provided by the makers of the movie Everest. And wherever I looked - up down, around - there I was in the Himalayas.

Even a glitch, when my hands went through the mountain, didn't dampen the moment - that's how intense it was.

Listening back to the recording, my voice actually cracked with emotion when I reached the top.

Everest duly conquered, it was time to take a trip into outer space with a demo of another new game called Adr1ft.

"Have you been into space?" I asked, as I sat through the tuition video - although I have to admit by the time it had finished I'd already forgotten which buttons did what, and I was also distracted by trying to explain what was around me for the radio show.

"No. It was… metaphorical," he answered.

But before I could find out what he meant, suddenly, I found I just couldn't move.

Nothing responded as I expected. I couldn't even get to the space ship hatch to get outside and start my mission. I started to feel very hot and very disorientated. I was tumbling around, bumping into walls and debris and no longer knew which way was up.

My virtual space helmet visor was cracking.

Within about 30 seconds I wanted to rip the helmet off and run to the bathroom.

I asked to stop.

Adam was totally thrown.

"Let me just get you out of the ship…." he said, taking the control from my hands.

But it was too much - I had to remove the headset.

He looked genuinely crushed and I felt terrible.

"We've never had this reaction before," he said.

He started pressing buttons and his face lit up.

"The controller is configured wrong!" he said.

"No wonder you couldn't do it."

I'm not sure whether this was a polite ruse to save my dignity.

"I still don't think I feel very confident about continuing," I said sadly.

There was a long pause.

"I'm sorry…" I tried.

"Would you tell me about your inspiration for the game?"

He didn't respond.

I sensed my time was up. After some small talk we said a polite goodbye and Mr Orth did ask if I wanted to continue, but I think we both knew the moment had passed. And I was seriously worried about throwing up.

I left the suite, immediately took a wrong turn and found myself totally lost in the labyrinth that is the average Las Vegas hotel.

When I finally did get outside, I walked the wrong way up the strip in the pouring rain. The disorientation stayed with me for about half an hour afterwards, and I felt too nauseous to get in a taxi.

Now - it could be that I'm just not cut out for VR gaming. It could also be that I'm nursing a winter cold and I'm not fighting fit for space travel.

But now I have experienced first-hand the weirdness that VR can induce - seemingly very suddenly - and I didn't like it. I am in a very small minority, I am told, and I hadn't felt it before.

My interest is actually piqued by how intense she found the experience. Also, Orth, have a PR guy present with you during interviews.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Her first demo sounds intense in the good way.

The second sounds like a bad VR experience from a motion sickness point of view rather than it being 'too intense'. I guess if broken controls messed with her spatial sense it could do that. Nightmare demo for the developer :/

Hip Hop

That honestly sounds like plus to me if that's how some people will react to it. Sounds great. Real like.

JoshHood

"Would you tell me about your inspiration for the game?"

He didn't respond.

I get that you're invested in the game you're making, but you don't just straight up ignore someone talking to you in an interview just because they had a bad reaction (physically - he didn't say he didn't like it) to your game, in a field that still has issues for some people. Came across as a bit of an asshole there.

nilbog21

Banned
"The moment I nearly threw up at VR demo" - Honestly, Why is this news?

Do we need to know every person's bad reaction to horror movies or bad experiences with 3D?

hamchan

Yes. This is exactly what I want. Seems like the exact reaction one should get being stuck just spinning around like you're in Gravity.

Frodo

I want to go there and give that developer a hug and tell him everything will be all right, tell him that those things happen, and it is good to learn and be able to improve upon that.

There there, dev. There there.

EDIT: OH WAIT! Was that ADAM ORTH! HAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHA

Sblargh

Banned
Interesting read. Thanks.
Don't know yet what to make of it.
It could be as the above poster said and a mix of motion sickness and broken controls.
I had a girlfriend who couldn't play FPSs (or even watch me do it; which was sad, because she loved Portal) because it messed her up.

I wonder if something really did go wrong or if there is a percentage of people out there who will just be unable to enjoy this.

Edit: jeez at how people are defensive on this thread. It's a new tech; she experimented with it and felt bad.
And then people complain that gaming journalists are just PR machines.

ps3ud0

Damn bad controls and the feeling you are about to die in space - Id imagine I wouldnt take to that kindly...

Deal with it, Orth

ps3ud0 8)

Moobabe

Do we need to know every person's bad reaction to horror movies or bad experiences with 3D?

It's not news - it's an opinion piece by a BBC tech reporter about VR. You know, her job.

Her first demo sounds intense in the good way.

The second sounds like a bad VR experience from a motion sickness point of view rather than it being 'too intense'. I guess if broken controls messed with her spatial sense it could do that. Nightmare demo for the developer :/

I've seen that reaction once in all the people I have had try out VR. Adr1ft is sort of a worse case scenario for motion sickness since it's simulating weightlessness in space... and most people that really do that get motion sick initially before acclimatizing to it.

I'm looking forwards to Adr1ft, but it's definitely going to be one title that makes certain people motion sick. Those comfort levels Oculus put on the Gear VR store are there for good reason. Some people can't handle much locomotion. Throw in weightlessness...

I do think people will acclimatize somewhat after using VR for awhile however. I just don't think that everyone will be able to acclimatize to everything.

It's her job to report on new technology at CES. People want reactions, good or bad in the lead up to the release of new tech.

BLunted

Banned
Adam Orth? Wasn't that the Sweet Billy guy at MS who was shitting on towns for having crappy internet service?

RibMan

That sounds exactly like motion sickness. Hopefully she won't let one bad experience determine her overall impression of VR.

Some friends and i tried Oculus and Elite last year and while most of us were fine and thought it was amazing, one had to stop fairly quickly due to motion sickness.

I get the feeling some people with some games will just not be able to VR.

_Ryo_

that sounds awful.

on the other hand, vr devs can use this experience to their advantage.

like a game where you're an astronaut and you crash land on a planet and you become disoriented and none of the controls work as intended and your helmet cracks and then you have to find a way to survive. full immersion.

Nikodemos

People tend to vomit profusely when trying real weightlessness (like riding one of the Vomit Comets, the training planes for astro/cosmonauts), so somebody having an absolutely wretched time on simulated weightlessness isn't surprising.

jmga

It sounds like the space demo was too much for her and the sick was not related to a bad design.

That kind of reactions make me more excited about VR, not everyone will stand all experiences.

I get that you're invested in the game you're making, but you don't just straight up ignore someone talking to you in an interview just because they had a bad reaction (physically - he didn't say he didn't like it) to your game, in a field that still has issues for some people. Came across as a bit of an asshole there.
He was probably thinking of a way to salvage the demo or figure out what went wrong, not straight up ignore them. Kinda hard to read his thoughts based on two lines.

Adam Orth? Wasn't that the Sweet Billy guy at MS who was shitting on towns for having crappy internet service?

The self same. Adr1ft still looks like a cool game though. Apparently he leveraged his feelings of isolation (after being ostracized) into a game about being isolated in space.

pa22word

I've been eyeing vr very carefully myself, as someone who is seizure prone.

Anyone know of anyone experiencing seizures with a vr set?

Edit: damn auto correct

Hostile_18

Banned
Some friends and i tried Oculus and Elite last year and while most of us were fine and thought it was amazing, one had to stop fairly quickly due to motion sickness.

I get the feeling some people with some games will just not be able to VR.

Yeah same as anything related to gaming really. Some people can't play games with a low FOV for example.

that sounds awful.

like a game where you're an astronaut and you crash land on a planet and you become disoriented and none of the controls work as intended and your helmet cracks and then you have to find a way to survive. full immersion.

And then you barf into your helmet. Sounds like GOTY to me!

hesido

A bad demo or a bad experience can not qualify all VR

But the tech has the potential to create such reactions, very powerful stuff.

That wouldn't be immersion, that's irresponsibility.

that sounds awful.

Can you sue if a game makes you puke and destroy a $500 dollar piece of equipment?

that sounds awful.

I don't think making people ill is something devs can use to their advantage.

I imagine simulating disorientation in VR would be the kind of thing that would make a lot of people reach for the sick bag.

I imagine a lot of people will have this reaction; particularly with space or flight games. Just recently I tried an arcade machine called the Star Wars Battle Pod where you sit in front of a large curved screen and I controlled an X-Wing in the battle against the first Death Star, and that left me feeling really unsettled and quite nauseous. I then tweeted that I maybe wasn't ready for VR.

PillarEN

Sounds quite interesting. I got a chance to use Oculous Rift but it was a really crappy demo from some 3D figure makers or something. This actually sounded like an experience.

Can you sue if a game makes you puke and destroy a $500 dollar piece of equipment?

If they forget to put disclaimers on things. Which they won't. ;)

Adr1ft will make for a good motion sickness stress test even if they are running at the lowest latency and highest framerate the headset can theoretically output. It's simulating something that makes a lot of people sick in the real world. Like the rollercoaster demoes, that's not reason not to do it though, as it won't make most people sick.

That's really unfortunate I think. Such a big general audience hearing about a bad VR experience is bad.
This report might attract just as many people as it turns off - it is both a clear illustration of the power these headsets have over your senses, and an enticing challenge. I think the majority of people, after being told the potential effects, will still be intrigued enough to try it, to see if they can 'handle it', in the same way people are dared to watch horror films or go on extreme rides.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I don't think this will be how most people react. She did say so herself that she has a cold. I have one too right now and I wouldn't be using a VR headset or doing anything that messes with my vision.

However, this is something I am worried about. I think that I might just end up feeling nauseous and get headaches. It happened to me when the whole 3D movie craze blew up again. I just hope like I said that this experience only affects a minority of people. VR seem cool and would love to try it out.

This report hasn't put me off it totally. It's just something you need to try out for yourself and see how you are with it.

krang

That honestly sounds like plus to me if that's how some people will react to it. Sounds great. Real like.

It's probably not because it's realistic - probably the controller issue. And if it is because it's realistic, I'm not convinced you'll sell much using the "so real it'll make you vomit!" line.

That was a good piece, though. I appreciate her honesty and open-mindedness of reasons why it might not necessarily be the device's fault.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I wonder which "average Las Vegas hotel" this was. I was in one for a week recently.

I wanted something cool like this to happen, dangit!

Caronte

Everytime someone tries VR and likes it there is a thread about it, why would this be different?

Top Bottom