• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toyota dealers gave minorities higher interest rate loans. Not an uncommon practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

February 3, 2016
Federal agencies said that from 2011 up to 2016 borrowers of color regularly paid Toyota between $100 and $200 more in interest rates than a white borrower with similar credit. The discriminatory system that allowed the unfair pricing is called “dealer markup,” a little-known loan-inflation tactic that allows dealers to make more money; and in this case, at the unequal expense of minorities.

Here’s how the markup worked: Auto dealers often offer in-house financing. And when a person chooses that route, the dealer sends the buyer’s credit score and other loan risk factors to, in this case Toyota Motor Credit Corporation. The dealer learns the rates the buyer has qualified for, but then is allowed increase it, as the dealer sees fit. That inflated rate can translate into profit for the dealer. It’s usually a small amount—Toyota allowed its dealers to increase rates up to 2.5 percent. But that adds up over years of interest.

The CFPB found that, when the dealer was allowed to decide which customers to charge more, people of color, regardless of their credit, most often paid higher interest.

July 14, 2015
Honda pays $24m to settle race discrimination claim

An investigation by US regulators found that the Japanese company charged African American and Hispanic owners higher interest rates on car loans.
Regulators found that they paid on average $250 more than white customers regardless of their creditworthiness.

December 20, 2013
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) and Department of Justice (DOJ) today ordered Ally Financial Inc. and Ally Bank (Ally) to pay $80 million in damages to harmed African-American, Hispanic, and Asian and Pacific Islander borrowers and $18 million in penalties. The CFPB and DOJ determined that more than 235,000 minority borrowers paid higher interest rates for their auto loans between April 2011 and December 2013 because of Ally’s discriminatory pricing system. Today’s orders represent the federal government’s largest auto loan discrimination settlement in history.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Not even new unfortunately :/ And systemic racism apparently don't exist apparently. Its the same with mortgages, housing, insurance and basically everything else.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Regulators found that they paid on average $250 more than white customers regardless of their creditworthiness.

:S

At least it wasn't worse. I was expecting worse.

Iorv3th

Worst thing you can do no matter your skin color is get a loan through the car dealership. Even with those 'rebates' you are going to pay more with interest. Go to a bank or credit union to get the loan.

Flo_Evans

Worst thing you can do no matter your skin color is get a loan through the car dealership. Even with those 'rebates' you are going to pay more with interest. Go to a bank or credit union to get the loan.

Cant get much lower than 0% I got on my last car.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Not always the case.
Take all the rebates then just transfer the loan to a CU when it makes sense.

0% financing deals are usually fantastic dealer offered options as well.

This. Worked wonders for me on my last vehicle (Toyota Rav4) that I ended up paying off early last year.

Also, I wanted to avoid the salesmen and pitches, so I bought my car online. All I had to do was show up to the dealer when it was delivered, sign the paperwork, decline their bullshit "extras" and drove it off the lot.

Still, shady stuff all around. However, I'm not surprised at all.

Trojita

Depends on the dealership. Rates have been pretty low for the last couple of years even at dealerships.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I once went into a Toyota dealer to pay cash for a brand new car. The salesmen first ignored me, then when I asked for help the one guy who bothered to respond was rude, so I walked next door and bought a Honda.

Magic Toyota, Seattle btw. YMMV.

Yea, this isn't even news to most of us. I was taught to specifically go through my credit union for this exact reason.

Mofo's wanted like 17% on a 5 year first time car loan. Noped right the fuck outta that dealership laughing.

I didn't know this was a tactic and I worked at Honda finance for years. So this just... Ugh... Makes me so angry. I currently have my car financed through Nissan and I feel like I'm being bamboozled because of this.

Nephtis

I'm Hispanic and I got a pretty good deal on my car. Went with the dealership too - but I walked in with a pre-approved loan and told them either they make a better deal of it, or the bank will keep my interest money.

It also helped it was the salesperson's first car to sell too. Much more wiggle room for negotiation, haha

Flo_Evans

Yea, this isn't even news to most of us. I was taught to specifically go through my credit union for this exact reason.

Mofo's wanted like 17% on a 5 year first time car loan. Noped right the fuck outta that dealership laughing.

Holy shit might was well put it on a mastercard.

The Kree

Banned
At every level, in every corner of society we have people trying to find ways to save money for the rich and squeeze more money out of the middle class. It makes no sense.

psylah

Wells Fargo did the same thing for mortgages.

In their system, if you had two people with identical information filled in, but changed the race from white to black, the rates went up.

The suit was dismissed, though.

Iorv3th

Not always the case.
Take all the rebates then just transfer the loan to a CU when it makes sense.

0% financing deals are usually fantastic dealer offered options as well.

Cant get much lower than 0% I got on my last car.

If you can get 0% sure but most people aren't going to qualify for it and it's usually only run for a small period of time.

I got mine 2 years ago and the interest rate I was offered was high enough that the rebates where going to cost more than the rate I got through the CU which was 2%.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I once went into a Toyota dealer to pay cash for a brand new car. The salesmen first ignored me, then when I asked for help the one guy who bothered to respond was rude, so I walked next door and bought a Honda.

Magic Toyota, Seattle btw. YMMV.

"Magic Toyota: You'll Leave in a Puff of Smoke"

This. Worked wonders for me on my last vehicle (Toyota Rav4) that I ended up paying off early last year.

Also, I wanted to avoid the salesmen and pitches, so I bought my car online. All I had to do was show up to the dealer when it was delivered, sign the paperwork, decline their bullshit "extras" and drove it off the lot.

Still, shady stuff all around. However, I'm not surprised at all.

I knew someone who did that and was harassed by the dealership as she went to pick up her vehicle. They tried to charge her extra for "convenience fees" in which she called the online dealer and told them that all she had to do was pick up the car and leave. She almost had to call the police.

If I can help it I'd purchase online too and bring copies of all the paperwork with me since I'm a person of color in case they tried to pull that with me.

Institutionalized racism exists?

Never.

I refuse to believe.

Something something SJWs something something persecution complex something something black president etc.

Btw, this is eeeeeverywhere. Its not a Toyota thing.

Minorities are given higher interest rates or find it harder to get loans/mortages in general.

This is how it's invisible to people who deny systemic racism. They get all the benefits without even knowing, but get so mad at others for getting theirs and tell them to pull themselves up by the bootstraps. When you're getting burned at every end, how is it even possible?

"You just see racism everywhere!" Because it is. Educate yourself.

This is how it's invisible to people who deny systemic racism. They get all the benefits without even knowing, but get so mad at others for getting theirs and tell them to pull themselves up by the bootstraps. When you're getting burned at every end, how is it even possible?

"You just see racism everywhere!" Because it is. Educate yourself.

Let's just wait for all the facts, man.

Please get rid of this ridiculous Dealership businesses and just have one price for new cars.

Price of cars isn't the issue here. The amount that Toyota charges to finance the remaining balance (which tends to be higher for Black people) is the issue.

How would what you are saying fix that issue?

Flo_Evans

Price of cars isn't the issue here. The amount that Toyota charges to finance the remaining balance (which tends to be higher for Black people) is the issue.

To be fair it's not Toyota that's doing this. It's the creepy "finance manager" at the local dealership jacking up the rates on people he doesn't like.

turtle553

It sounds like this is a discretionary add-on the dealers can do. More likely the dealers think they can get away with it with minorities who may or may not be financially literate.

Guess I am going to refinance since I am a dark skinned individual and am treated as such.

How is this Toyota's fault? Dealer markup is a common practice regardless of color. It isn't the fault of Toyota if the customer agreed to a higher interest rate.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I thought dealers were independent entities? How come Honda had to settle the amount? Did it work different from the Toyota setup?

The thing to do is to get pre-approved from your bank or credit union first, then have the dealer match or beat the interest rate. That way, if they refuse to do it, you can still just use the bank. Last time I purchased a car, I had the dealer match Chase Auto's 2.34% interest instead of offering its normal 3.92%.

Rebates and incentives are a whole other matter, and they need to be negotiated separately and before any financing discussion. Never negotiate for a car based on the price of its payments.

Trojita

How is this Toyota's fault? Dealer markup is a common practice regardless of color. It isn't the fault of Toyota if the customer agreed to a higher interest rate.

That's not a good defense. At the same credit scores, giving whites on average 4% but giving black people on average 5% isn't good. It shapes an overall view of either latent prejudice or purposeful racism.

Bubba T

This shit exists in banks too. One of the best defenses one could have is to arm themselves with knowledge and shop around. Many times though a person accepts the rate because they think they can't do any better.

That's not a good defense. At the same credit scores, giving whites on average 4% but giving black people on average 5% isn't good. It shapes an overall view of either latent prejudice or purposeful racism.

It isn't the bank that gives the higher rates though. Depending on credit the bank will let the dealer make markup on every deal. It's up to the finance guy to sell that rate to the customer and it's up to the customer to agree to it. Toyota as a company shouldn't be held liable since the bank doesn't know the color of the person when they get the credit app.

The thing to do is to get pre-approved from your bank or credit union first, then have the dealer match or beat the interest rate. That way, if they refuse to do it, you can still just use the bank. Last time I purchased a car, I had the dealer match Chase Auto's 2.34% interest instead of offering its normal 3.92%.

Rebates and incentives are a whole other matter, and they need to be negotiated separately and before any financing discussion. Never negotiate for a car based on the price of its payments.

I've seen dealers try and markup the price of a vehicle if you use your own financing.

Car is 20,000$ if you finance through us.
Same car is 22,500$ if you have your own financing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom