• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ranking the Resident Evil games.

For me it goes like this.
REmake>RE2>RE4>RE3>Revelations>RE5>Revelations 2>CV>RE1>RE Zero>RE6

Thoughts on each game

REmake is the definitive fixed camera Resident Evil game, it does everything right, the locations the bosses this is Capcom at it's best.

Resident Evil 2 is the most enjoyable of the fixed cmera games and does a lot of great this by building on the existing story and adding new characters.

Resident Evil 4 sees the game shift to a more action orientated approach, it wrote a lot of the rules that pretty much every modern third person shooter adheres to. The game benefit by breaking away from the old story and doing new things.

Resident Evil 3 is one of the hardest fixed camera games due to Nemesis, one of gaming's most iconic bosses this game has he most memorable encounters in the series.

Revelations combines the playing style of RE4/RE5 with the formula of the older games rather going point to point in a linear fashion you must fully explore a labyrinthine ship. It started out on the 3rd and now is at hand alongside the main console release tiles.

Resident Evil 5 wraps up the involvement of Wesker in the series, it launched a 1000 memes and remains one of the best games of last gen.

Revelations 2 is very like RE4 in terms of style and gameplay, it's polished mechanics are beautiful and responsive.

Code Veronica is by far the hardest old school style game, beneath the punishing difficulty the game is notable for introducing 3d backgrounds to the series, tough but we'll worth your time.

The original game is an exercise in pure cheesiness, while iconic it was surpassed utterly by the sequels and REmake has taken it's place in the official canon.

Zero is the black sheep of the fixed camera games, the charter zapping system feels unfinished and while it looks beautiful it pales in comparison to REmake and it's forebearer.

Resident Evil 6 is the subject of frankly unfair hate, bitter people need to get over themselves nd judge the game fairly, the new mechanics make this perhaps the best the series has to offer in terms of gameplay.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
RE6 > RE5 > the rest > self immolation > ORC

REmake is the pinnacle of game design and atmosphere, followed by RE2. RE4 was good on its own (unlike 5/6) but just not a RE game. From the modern ones, only Revelations 2 can be considered a great actual RE game. RE3, Zero and CVX are all good but with different kinds of flaws individually.

Manu

RE2 > RE4 = REmake > RE3 > Revelations 2 > RE5 > RE6 > RE1 > RE0 > Revelations > Code: Veronica

No explanation as it is purely subjective.

4>REmake>2>3>(The Evil Within)>5>Revelations 2>6

Haven't finished 0 yet, but from my progress thus far I'd probably slot it around where 5 is at. Not sure if I like it more or less yet tho.

I haven't played the original RE, Code Veronica, or Revelations 1, or any other spin offs yet.

I don't like doing this whole ranking thing but for some reason I was actually giving it some thought the other day for this particular franchise.
I'll only consider REmake as far as the first game is concerned:

Resident Evil 2
REmake
Resident Evil 4
Revelations 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Resident Evil 5
Revelations
Resident Evil 6

Capra

So far I've only played the classic-style REs but I'll rank what I can:

RE2 > REmake > RE3 > RE0 > RE CVX

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
REMake > RE4 > RE2 > RE5 (in coop) > Revelations 2 > Zero > RE3 > Code Veronica > Revelations

Based on the ones I've played of course, trying to get through RE6 but it's not looking too good.

Out of what I've played:

REmake
5 (coop, IMO game is pretty garbage solo)
Rev 2
Rev
Code: Veronica
Original RE
6 (agreed with the notion that this game has a strong core that isn't utilized to its fullest by the mission/level design)
Outbreak
Zero

Azalean

Banned
Of the ones I've played. (Haven't beaten Zero yet.)

RE4>REmake>RE5>RE0>RE1>Revelations>>>>>>>>>>>dogshit>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RE6

Shaanyboi

Banned
RE4
RE2
REmake
RE5
RE1
Revelations
RE0

I have little to no memory of 3 or Code Veronica, have barely played Rev2, and I've blocked out 6

Bergerac

REmake>2>3>0>4>5>Outbreak>REV1>6>Dead Aim>CV

(I do acknowledge that 4 is objectively a better game than 0, but, otherwise, I feel the list is reflective of quality).

Ceadeus

Gold Member
1. RE4
2. RE2
3. RE:Revelaiton
4. RE1
5. RE5
6. RE3
7. RE0
8. RE6
9. RE:RCity

I think the 4th installement changed the industry and was an instant classic for me. Simply one of the best horror/action game there is.

I made Revelation 3rd place because I REALLY enjoyed going through this type of game on a handheld. It's like having a portable RE4 experience on the go. I like the personnal touch of playing handheld.

I forgot Code Veronica wich I like so much. I adore the Dreamcast. I would put it instead of RE5 on my list.

Jawmuncher

Never felt it was fair to rank the different genre RE games against each other. Like ranking Alien VS Aliens despite being two different genre.

For example my list would have the action titles above all the Survival Horror (mainline).

MetalSlug

1. Resident Evil Code: Veronica
  2. Resident Evil
  3. REmake
  4. Resident Evil 3
  5. Resident Evil 4
  6. Resident Evil 2
  7. Resident Evil 5
  8. Resident Evil 0 (Only one I haven't finished yet - Just after finishing the train atm)
  9. Resident Evil 6

Top 3 (not up for discussion!)

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Resident Evil 2
3. Resident Evil Revelations

tumblr_mn5tjbJ6Zr1qatcfzo1_500.gif

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Tough. I think I'd rank them like this:

RE5 > REmake > RE6 > RE2 > RE3

Haven't played the other games in the series. RE4 was incredibly boring (couldn't bring myself to finish it), and I played a few hours of CV:X but haven't gone back to it for some reason.

I'm about to start playing RE0 so maybe that will find its way onto this list in some fashion.

Roldan

Even though REmake is arguably better in every way, the original is still the king to me.

RE1 > REmake > 2/3/CV (need to replay them to make sure how I'd rank them properly) > Zero

As to the modern games... They diverge so much that it feels odd to me to put them on the same rank as the older games.

So it would be something like:

RE4 > RE5 > Revelaitons > RE6. Haven't played RER2 yet.

kunonabi

Resident evil 3
resident evil outbreak
resident evil
remake
resident evil 0
resident evil 2
resident evil 6 (jake/sherry campaign)
resident evil 4
resident evil 5
re:cv and the rest of re6 share the bottom spot

Revelations is around re5's level for me probably. Didnt bother with revelations 2

AHA-Lambda

Of what I've played:

Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 3
REmake
Revelations 1
Resident Evil 0
Code Veronica X
Resident Evil 5
Revelations 2

Ridesh

Banned
1. RE4
2. RE2
3. RE1 / REmake
(quality gap)
4. The Evil Within
5. RE3
6. RE CV
7. RE5
(quality gap)
8. RE6
9. RE0
10. REvelations
11. REvelations 2

Snake017

REmake
Resident Evil 2&3
Original RE& Director's Cut
Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 0
Outbreak 1&2
Revelations 2
Resident Evil CVX
The rest is THAT bad

Inspector Q

I generally don't go back and replay older games, so my list is based on the impact and enjoyment that I had with each game when they first came out. That being the case, I would rank them as follows:

RE1 (ps1)
RE2
RE4
RE3
RE6
Rev2
RECV
REmake
Rev1
RE5
RE0

RE1 and 2 were special games to me when they originally came out on PS1 (especially part 1). I don't know, I was blown away by them and haven't really felt the same since. 4 was also a really amazing experience when it first came out.

I am sure if I replayed all of these games now, my opinion would be different, but I will never do that, so it is what it is.

Anyway, looking forward to see what they can do with this series. The addition of forced co-op has kind of been a bummer for me, personally, but I know many others enjoy it. Guess I need to get over it, lol.

Exodist

1. REMake/1
2. Resi 4
3. Resi 2
4. Resi 3
5. Resi 5
6. Resi 0
7. Resi CVX
8. Resi Revelations
9. Resi 6

I haven't played Revelations 2 yet and honestly don't really want to after the first. Although Resi 6 is mechanically sound, everything else is absolutely fucking horrendous. It's one of the most tedious, boring and obnoxious campaigns I've played, from the constant replaying of areas, enemies constantly knocking you down, and the stupidly long boss battles. Fun mechanics, just not fun to actually play.

Ikon

Ok, let's see here:

REmake
Zero
Veronica

Well, ha! Had no idea it would end up in nearly numerical order.

Top Bottom