• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ranking the Resident Evil games.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Listing REmake high and RE1 low makes zero sense.

Anyway

RE2
REmake/RE1
RE3
RE0
RE4
RER2
RE CODE V
RE5
RER
RE6

News Bot

Banned
1) Resident Evil (remake)
2) Resident Evil 2
3) Resident Evil 3
4) Resident Evil Revelations 2
5) Resident Evil Dead Aim

Listing REmake high and RE1 low makes zero sense.

Literally equalizing them makes no sense. RE1 is still very good but lacking lots of stuff from the REmake. And that is not only gameplay content and mechanics, but also (different) atmosphere.

RSB

Banned
Classic RE:

RE2 > REmake > RE3 > RE0 > Code Veronica

Action RE:

RE4 > RE6 > RE5 > Rev2 > Rev1

andthebeatgoeson

Then Pluto
Then that new planet.

Then the rest.

4 doesn't have 'traditional' scares but damn of I don't get scared. I don't go running wildly into the place after you get there first sniper rifle. And I hesitate every time I see the troll, and the regenerators and when I hear the chain saw.

Voliko

Of the one's I've played:

4>REmake>3>Zero>2>5

4 is the best, it's much more skill based than the old games and has crazy replayability.
It's a well crafted action game and that's not a bad thing.

I never understood the love for 2. I put Zero above it just because the backgrounds and art direction are better in Zero, which are half the reason I like the old REs.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Capcom please don't listen to this guy 💣
Why would they start now.

I complained about RE4 going the stupid action game route. They did anyway. And now that they have evolved into a completely unique action-brawler that I very much enjoy and would like more of... I'm sure they'll change direction again.

Remake
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident evil 4
Resident evil revelations 2
Resident evil revelations

Not played 5 or 6 and not finished zero yet

T.O.P

Banned
1) Resident Evil 4
2) REmake
3) Resident Evil 2
4) Resident Evil 6
5) Resident Evil 3
6) Revelations 2
7) Resident Evil 5
8) RE Code Veronica
9) Resident Evil 0
10) Revelations 1

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Literally equalizing them makes no sense. RE1 is still very good but lacking lots of stuff from the REmake. And that is not only gameplay content and mechanics, but also (different) atmosphere.
Not so much equalising them, more if I'm talking about RE1 I talking about REmake.

-MD-

REmake > 2 > 4 > 1 > 3 > 5 > CVX > Zero >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> REV1, REV2, RE6

Linkyn

Sadly, I've never had a chance to play the early PS titles, so for me, it goes something like

RE4 > REmake > RE 0 > RE 5 > RE 6

Words cannot describe how much I love 4. I've bought the physical version 3 times and have probably finished it well over 20 times by now. The only other game that can match its replayability for me is OoT.

myco666

Out of what I've played.

RE5 = REmake > RE4 > RE2 > RE6 > Umbrella Chronicles > Darkside Chronicles > CVX > Revelations 2 > Revelations 1

Still need to play Zero and 3.

Mar Nosso

Banned
REmake/1
RE Code Veronica
RE2
RE4
RE0
RE3
RE5
RE Rev 2

Haven't played Revelations 1 or 6.

Edit: Switched RE3 with RE0. Fuck that annoying Nemesis. No fun.

Cardon

1. RE2
2. RE4
3. RE1
4. RE: Darkside Chronicles
5. RE3

That's it for me. Haven't enjoyed the most recent games, such as RE6, that much.

Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 1 (Director's Cut)
Resident Evil 2
REmake
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil Code Veronica

RE1 Director's Cut's Arranged/Advanced Mode is the most engaging old-school RE. But overall I enjoy action-oriented games more than adventures, and RE4 is one of the best, so it's on top. RE5 is a bland copy. It's still okay though.

Sesha

RE4 > REmake > RE5 (Mercenaries only) = RE2 = RE3 > RE 6 (Mercenaries only) > RE1 = RE Outbreak = RE5 (rest of the game) > RE CV = RE0 = Revelations 2 > Revelations > RE6.

Bydobob

OP has RE:make first and RE1 eight places down the list in third last, I don't even...

1. RE1 still my favourite, nothing beats the original's design and purity of purpose. Those famous shock scares and set pieces laid the groundwork for what the series was to become, however what set RE1 apart for me was the utterly creepy, slow-burn atmosphere that Capcom progressively ditched in favour of the popcorn approach of the former.

2. Re:Make made one welcome addition with some zombies able to go through doors, but knowing the original so well the many changes to its layout felt a little incongruous. Like a re-recording of one of your favourite songs though, it can never surpass the original!

3. RE2 was actually a big disappointment to me when it came out, but I've begun to really appreciate it through the prism of disappointment from later entries. Its quite the roller-coaster ride yet still possesses enough of the creepy scare DNA of the original.

4. RE:CV. It was a semi-return to the slower pace of the original, and those 3D backgrounds gave it an added level of immersion that people said wouldn't work, but did. Unfortunately it was a bit inconsistent, short(?) and had an unsatisfying finale.

5. RE3 next, but this is one I must revisit as I was thoroughly hacked off with the series at this point that I can't remember it objectively.

6. RE:0, character swapping and puzzles were annoying, and it made the fatal mistake of being slightly boring.

RE4 was immense fun and an undoubted action classic, but the shift in focus is so dramatic I'm not comfortable with ranking it here.

I haven’t played any of the others.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Umm... Probably...
2 4 1 3 5 0 CVX 6
I haven't finished 6. I haven't even finished a quarter of Leon's story, but either because of that or regardless of that it goes last.

2 and 4 go first. Always.
By 1 I mean remake.

Survivor > Dead Aim. They're the only side games I've played.

Edit:
Moved 5 up the ranking based on a "What would I rather play right now" thought. As much as I like CVX it does have some bad parts, and 0 does too.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I really loved veronica so my chart would be

Remake
Veronica

The first three are even in my top ten ever probably..

Seyavesh

REmake>5>3>2>6?>4>>>Rev2=Rev1>CV>>>Dumpster Fire>>>ORC

Add Parasite Eve 2 right below REmake if it's allowed as its made by RE team anyhow. That shit gets a bad rap cuz it is an amazing old school RE

6 is a question mark because I can't judge how much I hate the campaign and how much I love no mercy mercs accurately. It's an extremely bipolar game

REmake is the king of its genre, 5 is one of the best designed coop experiences ever and 3 is over 2 cuz I played it first as a kid while I didn't play 2 until after beating 4+ I like 3s more action-y tone and semi frantic/fast pacing more

4 is just down there cuz I find the core combat stiff nowadays, haha. It's unfortunate since the campaign is still top notch.

Rev1/2 are mediocre but their drawbacks come from limitations outside of design that suggest that team is capable of greatness when freed from them. You get brief flashes here and there but otherwise very average

CV has horrible pacing, weapon feel, boring environments- it is the epitome of staleness that folks probably think of when thinking about the progression of old REs.

and ORC is one of the worst games I have ever played and if you like it you need your head checked- there isn't a single redeeming thing about that game. not even one

Never played og1 or 0, really don't have an interest in 0 given what I've seen on it.

Why would they start now.

I complained about RE4 going the stupid action game route. They did anyway. And now that they have evolved into a completely unique action-brawler that I very much enjoy and would like more of... I'm sure they'll change direction again.

I understand a lot of people liked the action game route. I am not one of them I think RE is all about suspense, low pace and tension.

Saven

Banned
RE2 > REmake > RE1 > RE3 > > RE0 > CVX > any of the newer ones that turned the franchise into a action shooter

RE3
REmake
RE2
RE5
RE1/DC/DS
Revelations
Mercenaries 3D
RE0
Revelations 2
CV
Survivor
Umbrella Chronicles

Big drop

Darkside Chronicles
RE6
RE4
ORC
Outbreak
Outbreak 2
Dead Aim
Gun Survivor 2
Gaiden

RE3 is criminally underrated.

Also this my personal amount of enjoyment, RE6 is over RE4 for example because playing co-op with my partner was more fun than playing RE4 solo.

eXistor

RE1 (whatever version)
RE4
RE2
RE Revelations 1
RE Revelations 2
RE6
RECVX

and way down the list:
RE5

I've not played RE0 or 3 yet.

1) RE 3: Nemesis
2) REmake
3) RE 2
4) RE 4
5) RE 1
6) RE Revelations
7) RE Revelations 2
8) RE 5
9) RE 0
10) RE 6
11) RE Code Veronica

I still love Nemesis. Replay it about once a year. I wish its approach to a main villain/threat, optional ammo combinations, divergent storylines, choices, and general atmosphere of desperation, oppression and sorrow would have ended up being series mainstays.

Never cared for Code Veronica. Some brilliant cut scenes, but the majority of the game just felt lifeless and completely lacking atmosphere to me.

Top Bottom